XII. Mom

My All

Taemin was seated in his hospital bed with Kai beside him and Key with Jonghyun on the other bed in the room. He was back riding Key on his motorcycle that morning on their way to school for dance practice when they clashed with a cab leading all of them in the emergency room of the nearest hospital. Thankfully, everyone only suffered minor injuries.

The nurses called his speed dial number one which is Kai that’s why he’s already there the moment Taemin was transferred to their room  even before he got his consciousness back.

“Are you… ok?” The first words that he heard upon opening his eyes a bit. It’s like Kai wanted to hold him but too afraid to even touch him the lightest. “Tae, can you hear me?” The sound of the voice gets more and more hysterical. “You sure nothing’s wrong other than your arm?” And more questions were asked though everything was just all about him being fine or not.

Taemin chuckled a weak smile. Kai sure can be the exact 360 of the cool image he’s been living in. He is cute, and lovely, and sweet. “Kai, I’m fine.”

He heard Jonghyun almost shouting from the other side of the bed beside him. Hysterically talking to someone Minho over the phone. And Taemin’s heart skipped a bit. Minho’s coming, he thought. And few minutes after the call ended, the door flew open and there was Minho, panting, as if running for his life.

His gaze was strong and weak at the same time, dark round orbs overflowing with emotions Taemin can’t explain. They continued to silently stare at each other for god knows how long. Their wander was ended when Key suddenly speak making both their hearts startled. And Minho dragged his feet, walking closer to him. No, he passed by Taemin’s bed not even asking him if he’s fine. And when Taemin thought he’s all okay, he realized he’s not.

Minho didn’t even looked at him, nor asked him if he’s okay. He stood by Key’s bed with his back facing Taemin. Then the younger witnessed drips of blood flowing off Minho’s arm.

“Hyung…” Taemin reached out with his voice almost cracking. He was the fragile one, always. He was the one who was supposed to look weak but this time it was Minho. It was Minho who’s hurting, it was him on wound and pain. “You’re bleeding.” He continued as he points out Minho’s elbow covered in red.

“ Minho, don’t you realize your wound was bleeding?” Jonghyun asked as he lifted Minho’s arm to have a better look.

“Jonghyun hyung, please bring him in the nurse station and have his wound checked and cleaned.” Taemin demanded and Jonghyun complied dragging Minho out of the room.

Key can’t help but look at the obviously worried Taemin and to Minho who looked so fragile and crashed that moment. He wonders if these two can’t see how much both of them are hurting this way. When will they both realize that being together is all better and easier than all this heartaches?

“Uhm…” Key faked a cough. “Kai, could you please get all of us some snack in the convenience store?”

 

 

Kai went out of the room leaving the best of friends alone.

 

 

“Does it hurt?” Key asked to break the silence.

Taemin looked at him with full negligence of the real question. “My arm? Not really.”

“Your heart.” Key added making Taemin pause for few seconds, reading between the lines.

“Key…” Taemin cooed, as if begging his best friend to cut it and stop. He doesn’t want to talk about it. He doesn’t think he can face it.

Key continued despite Taemin subtly telling him to stop. Maybe his best friend needs some counseling to be enlightened. “Obviously, Minho is barely holding up. He’s close to breaking down Tae, he’s close in losing his sanity! I swear!”

 “I know…” Taemin covered his face and wiped his tears away. “I’m so torn Key. You have no idea! I’m barely holding up, too!”

“You don’t need to make everything hard. You know how much Minho is still into you! He ran his life away the moment he heard you’re brought in the hospital. Did you not see how much he’s hurt when he realized it was Kai beside you, not him?”

“He didn’t even looked at me…” Taemin hushed.

“Oh my god!” Key ran his hand through his hair, frustrated. “He stared at you! For god’s sake Taemin! He was here because he’s damn worried about you! Can’t you see that? But the moment he saw you with Kai, he had no choice but go straight to me. I never thought I have a very stupid bestfriend.”

“I don’t know. I don’t even know what to do. I don’t want love Minho, I don’t want to.”

“But obviously, you are.”

“I never stopped, actually.” Taemin replied softly, almost whispering the words to himself. “I never stopped.

 

Their conversation ended when Jonghyun suddenly opened the door alone. “Where’s Minho?” Key asked.

“He told me he’s going home after he had his wound cleaned and bandaged.” Jonghyun replied with a shrug.

Key continued on fishing what happened only to let Taemin hear it. “Did he tell you what exactly happened?”

“Well, that frog ran across a motorbike upon running from the parking area, he stumbled over, obviously. He didn’t realize his wound was bleeding hard, not until you mentioned it.” Jonghyun answered as he looked at Taemin.

Suddenly, Kai arrived with a bag of snacks in his hand and a bag of fruits in the other. “Food is here!” He beamed a smile upon entering the room.

“Let’s go eat then I’ll be heading home quick to get some necessities, I’ll be back later afternoon.” Jonghyun said before the four of them dig in the snack Kai bought.

 

 

 

Jonghyun went home after lunch time to get some clothes and toiletries that would be needed and returned around evening with a bag of side dishes.

“What’s all that?” Key asked.

“Kimchi, bean sprouts, dried anchovy, squid strips & goguma mattang.”

Upon hearing the list of side dishes Jonghyun brought with him, Taemin’s eyes were shining bright, hands clasped, his lips into the perfect grin. “Hyung! All of those are my favorites!!”

“Oh, I thought so….” Jonghyun replied with a shrug.

“What was that?” Taemin asked.

Nothing, let’s eat.”

They had dinner with their stomach’s desire, filling in their tummies ‘til they can’t eat anymore. Well, except Kai since he’s keeping an eye on his diet.

Jonghyun and Kai both went home when Taemin and Key’s parents arrived that evening after work.

 

 

 

The next day, the doctor told Key and Taemin they can both go home around after lunch after finishing the last tests to be sure they didn’t suffered some serious injuries one last time.

A knock was heard that early morning and it was Minho’s mother who suddenly came to visit.

“Mrs… Choi!” Taemin exclaimed as he was surprised with her sudden appearance. His mom approached her bestie as she helped her with the basket of fruits she was holding and a bouquet of baby’s breath on her other hand.

“What brought you here?” Taemin’s mom asked.

“I was heading to work then I thought I should pass by to visit my favorite in-law.” Mrs. Choi replied with her famous eye smile as she casually gave Taemin the baby’s breath she brought.

Taemin was embarrassed with the term but he secretly likes it, being called an in-law, still. Even after months of his and Minho’s break up. “Thanks.” He said as he looked closely at the bunch of greens and whites in his hand, admiring the simplicity of his favorite flower. “You shouldn’t have bothered, Mrs. Choi.” He added.

“Oh, where’s the mom honey? I thought we agreed on you, calling me mom?” Mrs. Choi asked as she playfully pinched Taemin’s cheeks in between her chits and chats with Taemin’s mom.

“But—”

“No buts.” She cooed. “And honey, where are the containers used for yesterday’s side dishes?”

“You… made… it?”

“Did you like it? Minho asked me to make you those. He arrived home yesterday with groceries already so how could I say no?” She grinned.

“The… side… Oh yes, the side dishes.” Taemin dumbfoundedly answered. “It’s on that table.” He added as he points the table across Key’s bed.

“Okay then, I should get going or I’ll be late for work.” Mrs. Choi said as she slightly patted Taemin. “Eat good food to recover fast okay?” She beamed as she took the bag of containers on her way out of the room.

“Thank you, mom!” Taemin shouted making Mrs. Choi smile at him, genuinely waving goodbye.

 

 

“Key, tell Jonghyun hyung to go here quick. He have lots of explanation to do.”


A/N Finally something lighter! I'm just so tired of my own heart breaking so save all the pain for later. Heol~

Comments and subs are much appreciated here so go go go!