XVII. Irene

My All

“So you mean you’re still not back together even after I gave you up?” Kai queried as he threw himself at the couch Taemin was sitting on, scooting himself to him even more, his head leaning at Taemin’s shoulder.

 “You’re making it sound like it was that easy.” Because damn right, it’s not easy. That’s what Taemin thought. Because being in pain and confused at the same ing time can be anything but easy. Because loving someone without trust wasn’t supposed to be possible but that’s what he’s feeling right now.

“It is that easy, Tae. It’s pointless to go around the bush when you both know you’re still into each other.” Jonghyun butted in. He was currently half lying on the bed with Key beside him. Busy playing his favorite mobile game.

“Aaaaaahhhhh, you guys don’t get it.” Taemin complained. These guys are making it sound like it was as easy as one plus one when obviously, everything was confusing the hell of him. He’s torn, if that would even justify his state right now.

Key can’t help roll but roll his eyes. “Because you’re making it complicated, Tae.” This push and ing pull is boring and tiring already according to him, everyone even. It’s a pain in the to watch two stupid people torture themselves with pain when the answer is right in front of their own eyes.

I still love him, but I don’t think that love is enough to get back together...” Taemin trailed. “I mean after all what happened, we hurt each other too much.” He added.

“And you do realize that you, doing all this… you’re hurting both of you even more.”

“I just… I need time. I’m so confused I can’t even understand myself!” And a part of him is aching even more with the thought of what if Minho can’t wait anymore? He needs time; but what if Minho gives up on him?

“Then I guess I shouldn’t have let go of you. I should’ve taken advantage of your current state. Maybe I could clear your head.” Kai playfully wrapped his arm around Taemin’s shoulder, almost squeezing him which earns him nothing but a glare and playful smack on his arms.

--

 

 

Another school week started and Taemin is far from happy. First reason being obvious as hell and second, it is exam week and he can’t concentrate at all. He feels like failing his major subjects no matter how hard he tries to put his mind on his academics.

 

Meanwhile Minho… well, he does nothing but play and practice. According to Jonghyun, that pabo stays at the university every day after class to play soccer. He goes early in the morning to practice, even. He never joined the team on lunch breaks; which he usually does before. The last time they talked talked was the phone call at lunch when Taemin third wheeled his lunch date with Key. He heard not a single word from him since then.

Not until he finds him at the cafeteria one lunch time with a girl sitting across Minho; sharing the table. He can’t help but raise his eyebrows, seeing Minho with a girl is definitely news to him; intriguing news to be honest.

 

“Mind introducing me to your beautiful company, Minho?” Jonghyun asked as he casually occupied the vacant chair on the two’s lunch table.

The girl sweetly smiled while Minho can’t help but choke on the sandwich he’s eating. He swallowed the last piece of bread before introducing Jonghyun to the girl whose name is apparently Irene. “She’s a transferee here, taking up fashion.”

“Hi, Irene. I’m Jonghyun. And oh, my boyfriend is taking up fashion too!”

 

Irene’s face turn stoic, then Jonghyun swears the girl was all pink and lovely. “That’s so cute!” She exclaimed. Her hands clasped together under her chin, her voice higher than usual. “I’ve always wanted to meet a boy boy couple. My friends from America were against it, well maybe it’s because of culture. But I love reading manga during my free time and I’ve always wanted to meet a real life couple to ask how it feels like and how they make love.” And Irene’s face turned more crimson, as she realized what she’s been blabbering; embarrassed.

Jonghyun can’t help but let out a mall chuckle. He honestly had a not-so-good first impression towards the girl. Maybe because he knows how much Minho is tearing Taemin’s state and seeing his friend with another girl was what he least expected. But seeing her close, she looks so innocent and pretty, full of natural aegyo, too. One moment she’s all blunt and straight forward, the next, she’s all embarrassed.

“Make love, huh?” Jonghyun laughed. “Trust me, there’s nothing extraordinary about gay .” He smirked. Irene was almost squirming in her seat. Random scenes from mangas are flushing in her head. She can’t help but cover her face with both hands. “It’s probably all the same as how you’ve read it.”

Minho lightly threw a tissue on Jonghyun’s face. “Yah! Can’t you see you’re making her uncomfortable?”

“But she’s the one who asked--”

“I’ll see you at practice after class.” Minho stood from his chair then quickly grabbed Irene’s arm, dragging her out of cafeteria. “You should introduce me to your boyfriend sometime, Jonghyun-ssi!” Irene shouted few feet away from their table before sweetly laughing, tangling her arm with Minho’s.

--

 

 

“What?!?!?!” A hand over his mouth, cat eyes with daggers, irritation running in his blood. More than surprised, Key was mad when Jonghyun told him his encounter with Minho during lunch time. They were sitting under a tree across the arts building, waiting for Taemin. Jonghyun told Key about Irene, how the girl was a little bit of everything no wonder she got Minho’s attention. How the girl radiates youthfulness but being tainted at the same time, how she is like a girl version of Taemin; innocent but y.

Key knows a tiny teenie part of him was jealous at how Jonghyun describes the girl perfectly but being with the guy for years already, he knows he have nothing to be insecure about. His thoughts darted quickly to Taemin. His best friend can be compared to a zombie as of the ing moment. He can’t sleep, he can’t eat, add up the stress a university student has during exam week. And Key knows, he knows how much the mere thought of Minho is tearing Taemin apart.

“Ssssh. For all we thought they’ll be back together, there goes Minho confusing us all again. You know Taemin would be hurt if he knew.” Jonghyun cooed.

 

 

“If I knew what?” Taemin butted in. Jonghyun and Key being all pale and horror, Taemin knew something was definitely up.

“It’s nothing, Tae.” Key lied, faking his most I-am-clueless smile.

Taemin sat down beside Key, exasperated. He let out an annoyed sigh for once. “Tell me, so god help me. Tell me what would hurt if I knew it?”

--

 

Jonghyun saw Minho with a few members of the soccer team approaching maybe to call him onto practice. He quickly got up from the grass and stood in front of Taemin and Key. He knew Taemin was irritated at the moment and a Minho around wouldn’t help either. “I should get going, the team’s probably waiting.” He knew how much he’s a bad liar, nervousness making his voice break, he doesn’t even know why he’s nervous. Maybe because he knows how Taemin wouldn’t stop asking him about this. He doesn’t want to blab and gossip on Minho’s life, either.

Jonghyun pecked Key bye, see you later when Taemin grabbed his arm, pulling him lightly. “Hyung, tell me what is it?”

“I told you Tae, it’s noth---”

 

 

 

“Minho oppa!” And it echoed inside Taemin’s head. It took a second that feels like a lifetime before the thought registered in his head. He looked at his left, 9 o’clock and he saw a gorgeous girl standing from her seat, hopping with a smile towards Minho.

She radiates happiness with sugar, spice and everything nice. For a moment Taemin felt like being all bitter about the girl, he wanted to blab about how she isn’t attractive at all, how she was trying so hard to look cute. But he can’t. As much as his heart is pierced when he saw Minho’s bright smile, looking at the girl not him, he can’t lie to himself that maybe, just maybe, Minho finally saw someone to replace him.

 

 

“Hyung, you said it’s gonna hurt me.” Taemin suddenly blurted out, his hands still gripping on Jonghyun’s arm. Tears b in his eyes, face looking shocked bewildered.

“Tae---”

“But why can’t I feel anything?” He stated without giving much emotion. His eyes still glued at Minho (who’s currently talking to Irene, all smiles).

Key wanted to hug Taemin. He wants him to feel alright, he wants to cover his eyes, to ask him not to look at Minho and torture himself but he can’t do anything, he doesn’t know what to do. “Taemin…” He can’t help but feel afraid. The past weeks, Taemin looked as if he’s trying to fake everything. Like every day is a struggle to him. Like a fragile vase that would be shattered in a blow.

And he knew this is a very hard blow enough to crash him into pieces. Powder, even.

 

 

 

Still inanimate, not even a blink of an eye, as if his heart already stopped beating, Taemin knew it’s over.

“I totally lost him now and I feel like dying.”


A/N: And I'm planning to wrap this story up already! Heol~ I feel like I'm stretching it too much, I'm so sorry!

Maybe last 2 chapters or something. Thank you still, for reading, for bearing with me!

Comments, people! Thank you!