Weary

I Saw An Angel

Kangin sat on his chair, rubbed his fingertips on his chin while his other arm were crossed on his chest. The CCTV camera they’ve set in Raffie’s new home couldn’t have been lying. Kyuhyun can’t edit a good video like that.

“Can we watch the entire video?” Heechul asked.

Kyuhyun nodded, “it would take us a while though.”

 “That’s fine. We have to make sure,” Kangin told Kyuhyun.

“Isn’t that guy, Dennis?” Yoona asked in confusion.

Kyuhyun played the video from the beginning. He sat comfortably on his swivel chair and looked up on the wall. All their eyes shunt on the recorded video from Raffie’s house.

Yoona rubbed her arms when she felt goose bumps all over her body. It was for real. She doesn’t want to believe yet that their friend is dating someone they couldn’t not see and hear.

“Didn’t you just make this one?” she can’t help but to ask her boyfriend.

The guy’s brows met, creasing his forehead. “How can I even edit a movie with my tight schedule?”

The girl sighed, “This is insane!” She commented.

For countless times, Dennis was caught on the video while he’s hugging Raffie from the back. His cotton candy-like wings flapped and glowed as his sweet calm smile registers evidently on the screen.

All their eyes were focused and stuck on him. They thought that, the kid they’ve always bullied is actually an angel. They were prolonged by the sudden disturbance of their emotions. The group was unable to speak up and say what’s on their minds.

The three guys who act to be authorized to make a plan or influence with a made decision was speechless. Never in their entire life, they thought, would have encountered something that only exists because of religious beliefs.

“What on earth should we do?” Yoona breaks the silence that succumb the room.

“It’s not that easy to tell Raffie that she’s dating a benevolent celestial or spiritual being,” Heechul told the girl.

“Is she really that in love with him?” There’s some weariness in Kyuhyun’s tone as he spoke to Kangin.

The guy lowered his head, “I guess we’ll never be together.”

“Are you just giving up so easily?” Yoona snorted.

“Hey, he waited for seven long years!” Heechul defended his friend and man’s feelings. “Waiting for a woman for a year is already hard.”

“Guys!” She said and marched out of the room.

The three guys stared at Yoona’s back until she disappears behind the door. Kangin lowered his head again and rubbed his palms together. He let out long heavy sigh, yearning about the upcoming arranged marriage he’ll have aside from the dilemma they’ve just found out.

The two looked at him. “I know it’s hard to think of a way that Raffie can understand.”

He shook his head, “I’m going to accept my mother’s proposal.” His sad tone lingered on the two’s ear.

“What proposal?” Hee asked.

“I’m going to marry someone for business.”

“Fixed-marriage?” Kyuhyun and Heechul’s eyes got widened in shock.

“What will happen to you and Raffie then?” the lawyer asked.

Kangin’s head lowered, “I would still try to talk to her but if nothing’s change…then I’ll just go with what my family wants.”

Heechul exclaimed, “Without love? Dude, get out from that bars!”

The guy chuckled bitterly, “Sure you’ll marry someone you don’t love too. And you too Kyuhyun.”

“I have Yoona.”

He shrugged, “as far as I know, we’re just the best products our parents could sell out to earn more.”

They remained silent and let out a sigh in unison.

“We all have the choice, Kangin. It’s not just about our families happiness every time, think about your own,” Kyuhyun said seriously and patted his arms.

“Time to stretch those legs and stand up like a man,” Heechul kept what his hand reaches.

“There’s no reason for me to say no, I don’t have Raffie anymore.”

Meanwhile, Yoona made a call to Tiffany. She told her what they’ve found out. Her feet brought her to the highest part of the building which is the rooftop; the building’s modernized garden. Residents there rarely go the garden since they have their own balcony on their units.

“I know this is ridiculous!” she sat on one of the wooden couch, “is Raffie desperate?”

“She is depressed not desperate.”

“Just why on earth would she date…a ghost? An angel?” Yoona tilted her when she asked the last word, finding the situation absurd.

“Maybe because she’s still looking for someone as better as Kangin, don’t you think?”

“Still, she can find someone better and not…a ghost.” Yoona shook her head.

“We don’t know how she feels so…let’s just help her, okay?”

“Alright, are you coming or not?”

 “I’ll be there, tell them to wait,” her friend said on the other line and hung up.

Unknowingly, the one she’s talking about over the phone was there listening all the time. Leeteuk lowered his head; his tears have run dry like a real human being. He couldn’t bear how he felt when he found out the truth.

How am I going to face Raffie?

He hasn’t felt before the things he’s going through right now. The cold wind blows as he gazed at the setting sky. The fiery rays and melancholic atmosphere enveloping the indefinite boundaries his eyes see somehow reflected what he feels.

Is this how they call rancor and anguish?

Am I mad at Raffie? Leeteuk asked himself.

“Come back to our home, Dennis.” He heard a familiar voice.

He knew who owns it, he glanced at Gabriel. “Is this my punishment?”

“You can never feel any pain if you come with me now.”

“Will it all go back how it used to be if I do?”

Angel Gabriel lowered his head a bit and looked up to him, “You could still watch and protect the girl.”

“Is there anything else I could do?”

“Yes, you can use what we have to guard her.”

“What if I won’t go with you?”

“Raffie will lose her guardian and you won’t be able to come back here to protect her.”

Leeteuk remained silent as he thinks then turned to face Gabriel.

Getting the love from Raffie because of my own selfishness would only cost my life and power as a guardian angel. I’ve been watching thousands of humans and I could protect a thousand more if I leave.

“I know you would do the right thing.” Angel Gabriel breaks his silence.

He slightly nodded, “I should seek His forgiveness and embrace the duty He gave me.”

= = = = =

Tiffany’s eyes went wide the moment Kyuhyun played the video again, “Dennis…is an angel? But…but”

Kangin nodded, cutting her off. “I know. It’s really a small world but with this.”

“How did Dennis die?” Tiffany asked in disbelief.

The guy silenced at what his friend asked, he still remember the night he first saw Raffie after 7 years where he met Leeteuk too.

I can’t tell you. Kangin said in his mind.

No one answered Tiffany but Yoona sat beside her, “Let’s go to Raffie.”

“And then what should we tell him?” Heechul crossed his legs, “Forget about Leeteuk or Dennis because he’s an angel?” The guy sarcastically asked.

“We’ll tell her that the kid she almost killed is the same guy she’s with right now,” Kyuhyun said.

“What do you think is the reason why Dennis’s did this?” Yoona asked them worriedly.

“Dennis is an angel how could he think about revenge?” Tiffany argued.

“Simply because, he’s in love with Raphael…ever since.” Kangin uttered but enough for them to understand.

Meanwhile, Raffie remembered the box full of letters that Leeteuk gave her. She weakly opened the heart-shaped can and took a piece from it. Thinking that her boyfriend was already taken away from her, she read them in tears.

Seeing your smile makes me happy.’

She unfolded another one.

By the moment you’re reading this that means I’m gone, please stop crying.’

Her tears flowed like falls coming from her swollen eyes. She took one and read it.

‘4 the moments we’ve shared together were special enough for me to bring where I’ll be going.’

Raffie looked for the papers that have numbers; she knew it was a longer message.

‘2 If ever I’m gone, promise me you won’t cry and if ever you find someone to love, don’t ever think about me and our forever.’

‘1 I’m sorry that I can’t be the best for you. I can’t be the man who can protect you.’

‘3 I want you to continue living in happiness. I may not remember living in this world but I’m happy I spent my last days with you.’

’5 I love you and I’m sorry again.’

After reading a few folded papers, she stood up to look for Leeteuk around the house, wishing he would come out from the bullet proofed walls inside the unit. Hours have passed and to her dismay, no Leeteuk come out.

Her phone ding like water drops. It was her message tone. Raffie lazily glanced on her phone, wipes the tears off her face and reached for the cellular mobile. Through her screen she read Tiffany’s message.

Tiffany: We need to talk now.

Depressed from losing her man, her listener, her teacher who taught her what real love is, and the one who cleaned and opened up her heart to forget about Kangin, the pain and her worries, she ignored her friend’s message and lie on the mat.

An idea came in Raffie’s mind as she packs a few things, deciding to move back to her old unit around Gangnam.

He might be there. She thought.

Raffie brought just few of her belongings and found her old house as clean and as good as new. The luggage she brought was recklessly lying on the floor as she checked the rooms inside her condo.

 “Is this what you really want?” she shouted in agony.

Like the first month she came back from the United States, the entire house is empty, she felt incomplete. The lights were dazzling but to her it’s like clouds were shrouding above her.

“Is this really the end for us?” she asked softly this time.

= = = = =

It’s only the third day when they’ve found out about Dennis. They decided not to talk it out with Raffie yet, thinking that the guy is still with her.

All their heads shunt on the panting Kyuhyun; he hit the door hard to open it.

“Raffie left the building!” He announced that caused them to leap suddenly.

“What?”

“Where did she go?” Kangin asked worried as he started to walk towards the door.

“I’ll try to call her, okay?”

Kangin is obviously disconcerted about the news that Kyuhyun brought them. Aside from worrying about her relationship with someone; the mystery of the life threatening case of Raffie has not been solved yet.

“She went back to her old house.” Tiffany told them after their conversation.

“I’ll follow her,” Kangin took his car key.

“We’ll go with you.” The two guys said in unison.

“No, I’ll just call if something happens. I need this to talk to her.”

They didn’t argue with Kangin’s decision anymore when he told them about his real purpose. It somewhat made them feel better and forget about the threat in their friend’s life. All these years, the only thing they wanted is for Kangin and Raffie to be back together and continue their unfortunate perfect love story that they have started.

It’s starting to get dark when he reached her place. He buzzed on her door for the third time, waiting for his ex-girlfriend to come out.

The door slowly opened, his heart hurt when he saw Raffie’s current situation. Her eyes lost its glimmer and her body looked scrawny.

“Raffie,” he called her.

Teary eyed as she spoke, “what brought you here?”