Flashback

I Saw An Angel

“Can you tell them that I need it right away?” Kangin told his assistant.

The old lady nodded, “Yes, sir.”

He crossed his arms, rests his back flat on the swivel chair and throws his head. It’s his way to relax a bit after working in long 7 hours. His eyes were fixed on the ceiling then rolled it on the side to check the time.

4PM. He said inside his mind.

A deep sigh escaped from his chapped lips. Wearing a coat has never been his style; he went to his office without knowing that the centralized Air-Con was unable to be controlled.

Few more minutes in this cold room then my lip’s will flaked like fish scales. He stretched out then sits straight again when he heard three knocks from his door.

“Yes?” He asked.

“Sir, Kangin, you’re mother wants to meet you at her office,” his assistant told him.

“Thank God!” He yawned after cheering silently, “I’ll be there in a minute.”

He stood up and fixed his shirt. After keeping his files neatly, he walked to his mother’s office only to be surprised by what she told him.

“Marry what??”

“You should know about it,” Mrs. Kim told her son.

He shook his head, grinning in disbelief, “You want me to marry someone I don’t love?”

“We all know for sure that only this marriage can save our business,” she tried to convince him. “The business your father built…”

He knew that his mother is just making him feel guilty. He’s the only son and definitely the one to be responsible for the business after what happened to his father.

Kangin frowned, remembering the security they have. “Tell me,” he suddenly told his mum.

“Tell you what?”

Clenching his fist while inhaling deeply, “you didn’t try to burn out Raffie inside their shop, right?”

“Goodness, my son! How could you ask me such things? I may not like Raffie but I won’t kill anyone.”

“What’s your bodyguard’s name again?”

“Are you suspecting me?” His mother asked angrily.

Kangin shook his head, “No. I have to go.” He said and left the room.

= = = = =

“Raffie, you have a message!” Leeteuk said out loud when something popped from her personal computer.

His girlfriend hurried to see who it was, she chewed her lips. “Aye, it’s only Miyoung!” She said unpleasantly.

Leeteuk chuckled, “you don’t like her messaging you?”

She giggled and shook her head while typing on the board.

Raffie: I don’t know if I’m going to be busy this week. We’ll open the shop again at Gangnam-gu.

Miyoung: Really? Why didn’t you invite me on ribbon cutting?

Raffie: I know you’re busy.

Miyoung: I am! That’s why I want to unwind; you’ll help me, right?

Raffie’s brow rose. Help?

Raffie: Why? Are you planning of going somewhere again?

Miyoung: Let’s go to Harry Potter park, they will open it a few months from now.

Raffie laughed a bit and shook her head. Her friend is addicted to the book as well as the movie.

Raffie: When do you think is that ‘a few months’?

Miyoung: 4 more to go? I don’t know yet. Let’s ask the others. We’ve been friends for decades but come to think of it. We never enjoyed our youth and innocence back then.

She giggled with she said. In a way, Miyoung is right; they’ve only talked about what kind of life they have at home; when they’re going to take over and manage their families business; boasting how far they’ve gone across the world, how they got A+ easily at school and how they spent special occasions being alone.

Back then when they’re still young, most people think that they are the kind of kids who doesn’t want to be surrounded by normal kids.

She suddenly got interested of going abroad with their old friends, they even started planning out when to go and who will contact who.

Miyoung: Can we invite Kangin?

Her neck stiffed and her fingers stayed hanged above the keyboard, unable to even take a glance at Leeteuk beside her. Raffie’s eyes blinked a few times and started to talk to Miyoung again.

Raffie: Where is that again?

Miyoung: Japan.

Before she could type anything, her phone cried loudly, telling her to pick it up. It was Yuri’s voice being recorded.

Her father is calling her. She answered it right away and run out of the room.

Leeteuk stayed staring at Raffie’s back until she disappeared. His smile went brighter when he thought he should at least talk to his girlfriend’s best friend for once.

He moved on the swivel chair where Raffie was sitting awhile ago, his hands tapped the armchair like a kid being fascinated by the new thing he sees. His gazed looked up the screen when another message popped up.

Miyoung: Hey, speaking of Kangin! Do you know that he’s still looking for Dennis?

Leeteuk’s eyes blinked.

Miyoung: Nothing happened to him, he grew up in U.S. too.

He smiled a bit thinking, if Raffie know about this then she’ll forget about that traumatic past of her childhood.

Miyoung: You didn’t kill him, girl. What’s more? Remember the guy I wanted to introduce to you?

Leeteuk automatically replied after reading.

Raffie: I didn’t? What do you mean ‘I didn’t kill him?’ Of course, I didn’t.

It took Miyoung awhile to respond, probably thinking but he doesn’t know that she’s starting to get curios and have a weird feeling for asking that question.

Miyoung: You didn’t, I mean, he didn’t die when you locked her on that room. Wait. I’ll send you how Dennis looked like right now and the guy I want you to meet.

After a few second of waiting, his eyes went wide. He doesn’t want to believe what he was seeing. Dennis and that guy she’s talking about was him. A lot of questions crossed his mind like their flying around his head waiting for their turn to get inside his head.

Raffie…tried to kill me? Is that it?

In an instant, everything he felt changed. It was too much for him to handle. His hands crumpled his shirt near his chest and tears were starting to form in his eyes.

What is this?

He shut his eyes close. Everything that happens flashed like a thunder.

---

He saw how he follows Raffie around when she’s still a kid. He has wings. He was too bright. No one could ever see him even Raffie. He fell for her.

“I can posses a human’s body so I could stay closer to her.” He saw himself telling another guardian angel.

“You can’t stay long using the kid’s body. Dennis, this is wrong,” Gabriel told him.

“She might fall in love with me too if I become a human.”

“You will never become a human.”

He ignored him and crossed to human’s world. It didn’t take him long to find a clean soul and possessed the kid’s body. Unaware of his limitations and the consequences; the clean soul couldn’t return and was unfortunately passed away.

“You can never love a human, Dennis. What kind of love is that you wanted? You can never feel any pain in here, we can never come back after death in human’s world,” another angel once warned him.

“I still want to be with Raffie,” he responded certainly.

He saw how Raffie treated him badly. She mischievously looked for a chance and embarrassed him. How she resented him.

Is this what I sacrificed? He asked himself as the memories kept on pouring inside his mind.

Tears ran down through his cheeks. Now he perceived the sensation of human emotions that he hasn’t felt before. He couldn’t understand a thing, describing a human emotion become vague, dull and unclear to him.

He gently traced the tears down his cheeks.

So this what Raffie feels when she’s crying?

“Take me back, please?” He pleaded thinking, his Father would do if heard him.

He grabbed himself tightly on his chest through his shirt.

When he was in the United States, he took all the chance to meet Raffie until Tiffany saves him but things didn’t turn out well when the two fly back to Korea. He managed to follow after a few days.

The night when Raffie had a fight with Kangin, he was there. He’s watching her from afar. He tried to save the love of his life when he saw him grabbed her wrist tightly.

He was about to walk towards them when some drunken guys blocked his way, Kangin’s friends. They hit him hard a few times but still managed to escape using his car.

It hasn’t been a few minutes when he got involved in a car accident.

He looked around and found out that he was in the hospital. His eyes turned and found Raffie lying on the other bed, looking back at him.

He smiled at her, wanting to tell her. “We’ve finally met.”

But before he could do so, the nurse declared, “Time of death: Saturday 02:35AM!” Unaware that it was his human body.

---

Raffie walked back inside her room and found it empty. She looked around thinking where Leeteuk go. Her lips curled up, she turned off the unit and flopped on her bed to wait for him to back.

Hours passed but he’s not there yet, thinking too much made her worried.

What if he was already…?

She shook her head, dreading the thought of Leeteuk leaving her without any warning or saying a thing. Raffie doesn’t want to cry out how she’s feeling but the longer she hears the clock ticking and the longer he’s away makes her worry more.

Raffie started to look around the place, she doesn’t care if she’s wearing pajama’s to walk around the five star hotel-like building. Her head turns every time she sees an empty place. It was a scene like she’s starting to get lunatic.

“Leeteuk?” she asked softly, but to others it was a murmur, talking to her own self.

Tears were running down her cheeks. She went back to her unit thinking that he was already there waiting.

She looked around, crying her heart out. “You promised you won’t leave me. OPPPAA!”

= = = = =

A day passed by being unproductive. Raffie didn’t come to work and stayed in the corner of her house. She doesn’t want to eat nor take a nap. She has lost all her appetite and energy.

Why did you leave me?

Where are you?

Please come back.

I need you now.

What am I supposed to do now?

Raffie was crying, praying, wishing and asking things inside her mind the entire day. She felt like she’s being punished again. This is what she’s most scared to feel again. Being left alone.

 

MEANWHILE

Kyuhyun watched the CCTV video he implanted on Raffie’s house. It hasn’t been an hour when he found out something weird going on in Raffie’s unit. He immediately called Kangin and asked him to come to his office.

As he waits, he kept repeating the video and he screen shot every frames to make sure of what he sees.

He looked up when his door flew open. Kyuhyun was greeted with his girlfriend’s warm smile. “Hi!”

Kyuhyun smiled a bit. “Hey.”

“I’m with Heechul and Kangin; they’re just parking the car.” Yoona walks towards her boyfriend.

He met her in the middle of the small living room set at his office so she won’t see the video then planted a kiss on her head.

The door went widely opened, Kangin and Heechul arrived. “Any progress?” Heechul immediately asked.

Kyuhyun set up his projector while the guys sat on the couch. “I have something to show you.”

All their eyes got fixed on the wall.

“What’s in…” Heechul wasn’t able to finish his sentence when he found out what Kyuhyun wants to show them.

Kangin and Yoona’s jaw dropped.

“Leeteuk,” Kangin weakly said and stuttered, “he’s…he’s an…an angel?”