Fear

Scared of the Ocean

Minho’s parents had always warned him about the ocean. “It’s too dangerous. You could drown.” his mother would tell him. “You could get into the current and we’d never see you again.” his father would threaten. As a child this was enough to instill a life long fear of the ocean. Who knows what lurked in it’s abundant depths? To Minho, the ocean was a dark monster that was better left untouched.

 

Minho never found much desire to go to the ocean anyway. Instead he focused his attention on school and hockey. His parents demanded good grades and he loved being able to take out his stress and aggression on the ice. He was more than content with his life the way it was. Who needed to go play in one of the most dangerous places when he had all he ever wanted on land? It’s not like he had to go to the ocean to get food, that’s what sushi restaurants were for. If he wanted to go swimming, he could just go to the local pool.

 

“Seriously, Minho, I don’t see why you’re so against going to the ocean. This is like going to be the best birthday party ever!” Minho’s best friend, Jinki, told him from across the table. For years, Jinki had been trying to get him to go to swimming or surfing with him but with no luck. Minho was adamantly against going to the ocean.

“I’ve told you a million times, Jinki; I don’t like the ocean.” Minho said, leaning back in his seat and crossing his arms. “I don’t care how ‘epic’ this party will be. There’s no need for me to go. Besides, I’m pretty sure I have practice that day.”

“No, you don’t. That’s such bull.” Jinki narrowed his eyes. “You are as stubborn as a mule, you know that?”

“So you’ve said a million times before.” Minho laughed.

“Good, and I’ll keep saying it until you go with me.” Jinki insisted

“Not gonna happen, pal.” Was Minho's only comeback.

 

*****************************************

Taemin had always been a good boy. He listened to everything his parents said and never disobeyed them. His parents had always been on the more overprotective side but Taemin had always reasoned this with the fact that he was their only child. His parents had tried and tried for a baby and failed over and over again. But one day, they had been gifted with “what could only be called a miracle” his mother had told him. His mother was always loving and doted on him constantly while his father was a more relaxed version of his mother.

 

Taemin loved his parents dearly. They had always provided him with the love he needed and they  were always sure that he had someone to play with. They even went as far as to set aside hours out of their schedule that were devoted solely to playing with him. He was never lonely, he never felt neglected, he never felt unloved. But he was also a curious child. He was never allowed outside of the palace grounds. His parents insisted that it was too dangerous for him and that he risked being captured by the land demons.

 

He was not stupid. Every merchild had been told the stories of the land demons. They were mermaids that had grown legs instead of tails so they could walk the earth. They had forgotten about their origins and were always in search of a mermaid to capture. Every child knew that if you were captured by a land demon you would never ever come back. The thought of being taken from his parents terrified Taemin and he remained inside the safety of the palace grounds. He was more than content with snuggling up in his mother’s arms or playing tag with his father. It wasn’t until Taemin had turned eighteen in human years that his world had changed.

 

Taemin was brushing his mousy brown hair that he had grown out over the years,  allowing his sunset colored tail  to wave back and forth mindlessly. Once pleased with his reflection, he smiled at himself in in the mirror. Setting down his brush on the clam shaped vanity table, he swam his way out of his room and into the hall.

 

“I can’t believe how spoiled he is.” A muffled voice said from around the corner.

“I know! For an unwanted child, the king and ‘queen’ sure do treat him well.” Another voice agreed.

“I heard that he was unplanned.” Another voice joined in.

“I heard they tried to kill him but unlike the other kids, he wouldn’t die.” The first voice added.

“I heard they didn’t give him away because they needed an heir to the throne.” The second voice chimed.

 

Taemin felt an unfamiliar sinking feeling in his chest. Could their words be true? He had always been told that he was the only baby that hadn’t died early in his mother’s pregnancy. But could it be true that the only reason he was here was because he wouldn’t die? He knew that his parents had never tried for another baby after him, could it be because they didn’t actually want another baby? That they only kept him around because they needed an heir?

 

If it was possible for him to have cried, Taemin would’ve cried. He didn’t want to think of the possibility that his parents didn’t really want him. Sure, they treated him like a baby but that was simply because in mermaid years he really was a baby. Mermaids lived a long time so to them, eighteen years was nothing. It was not uncommon for merchildren to remain by their mothers’ sides until they were well over thirty human years. But could his parent’s love all be some sort of façade?

 

Before Taemin knew what he was doing, he found himself well outside the palace gates. He had no idea where he was really, he knew he had swam frantically through the town located outside of the palace and into the dark blue depths of the undisturbed ocean. Taemin eventually sat down with his back resting against a rock. He curled his tail up against him and sobbed tearlessly. His heart hurt and he couldn’t think straight. He didn’t even register the fact that the water around him had grown dark under a shadow and the fish scattered frantically away from him. Before he knew it, he was encased in some sort of box made of some cold metal. He swam around in his cage, petrified. Grasping the cold metal within his webbed hands, he shook it but his efforts did nothing to help his situation. Instead, he found himself looking into a strange mask of a man that was certainly not human.

 

Suddenly, everything went black.

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

A/N:

So, we're back (E/N: Already)! We literally just marked our last story 'complete' (Like 40 minutes ago). The reason we updated this story so quickly was because I've had this story in the works for a while now so I already had the first chapter planned out in my head so I was able to write it up almost immediately after I finished the final chapter of I'm In Love With My Best Friend. So by the time we uploaded the last chapter of that story, Bre was already editing this chapter(You're welcome)!

 

So how about this first chapter eh (tumblr_static_tumblr_inline_mk5hsp2hbm1q)? I already kicked stuff off! Why beat around the bush? So who do you think caught Taebaby? We shall see (I am so sorry for Nikki's -the author-poor attempt at suspense building right there) ;)

Thank you to everyone who has already subscribed/upvoted/commented! You guys rock!!

 

PICTA SPAM TIME!!!

funny_shinee_by_hanausagi_chan-d4eskt5.jtb12sjk.jpgJongkey is coming soon, I promise! 298821_126805314093314_100002915370278_1Funny+SHINee+-+Minho+and+Jonghyung.jpgrealmen--large-msg-125040298533.jpg?post179875_190062154349992_178357395520468_5