Mountains (DH)

The Treasure Island

 

 

Mountains DH

 

I was sitting on Eunhyuk´s back. We were already on the mountain road heading straight up and my ungulate friend had visibly slowed down. I told him, I could manage by foot but he refused saying, that it´s nothing and I should sit while I still can. Since then I´ve been sulking because I hate being treated as a weakling. And I was just thinking of his own good. It wouldn´t be that heavy if it was just me, but you have to add all the load we are both carrying plus the fact the road was getting more and more rough. But since he insisted, let´s see how long he can last, stupid deer!

"Ugh," Eunhyuk suddenly uttered. It sounded quite human so I leaned in, waiting for some words to come out too.

"Donghae, what are you doing up there?" What? Why was he asking such a sensless question? He was probably mocking me, saying I have heavy . Probably an excuse to put me down. "Have you peed?" Wait! How dare he! I was about to say something not very nice when I noticed, that indeed his back was kind of wet.

"Oh! Sorry, Hyuk, I must have not closed the lid properly and the bottle with water splashed on your back and my pants, just a little," I said, my voice getting quieter and quieter.

"You what? Have you gone crazy? You´ll be cold and it´s hard to find clean water! Donghae you must be the biggest idiot I´ve ever worked for! Aish, so annoying!" Eunhyuk finally blew up. I should have expected this, I´ve been kind of pissing him off for a while now.

Suddenly Eunhyuk started running up the hill. I had to hold on tight because I almost flew off. I don´t get where he got all that energy from but he hasn´t stopped for at least an hour. Jumping over stones and fallen branches, reaching a short plain, Eunhyuk rapidly stopped and I dizzily climbed down. This was the roughest ride I have ever experienced, but it must be nothing compared to Hyuk´s current state. And above all I´m almost sure, that I´m the reason he had to pull such a stunt.

Eunhyuk was breathing hard, spitting saliva. The sight was heart-breaking. Although I knew, it was a bad idea to appear in front of pissed Hyuk, I came closer and wiped his face. He closed his eyes and let out a harsh breath which startled me. The deer chuckled.

"You´re really something, Donghae. Put down the harness and change your pants before you catch a cold. It´s winter, idiot," Eunhyuk said unexpectedly calmly. I used my chance and did as I was told. Freeing Eunhyuk from the harness full of heavy equipment, how can he even wear that? Must be different if you´re not a human. Then I went to search for spare pants.

Eunhyuk in the meantime changed into his favourite wolf form. I eyed him curiously. What is he doing now? But he run a few meters from me and started shaking, spraying water droplets everywhere. I had to hold back a laugh. The almighty wolf looked like any other doggy, shaking off the water from his soaked fur. When he came back, I had already changed. Eunhyuk stood close to me and growled with a low beastly voice. It sent shivers down my whole body. He must have heard me laughing.

We continued on our way. I was again sitting on deer´s back, just this time I wasn´t sulking, only awkward silence surrounded us. I didn´t dare to talk again and it was not likely for Eunhyuk to start speaking. The inclination got worse, but I was too afraid to ask if I should climb down, so we continued in slower pace much more demanding for my tired friend. After another two hours, I was becoming already restless. I could hear Eunhyuk´s harsh breathing and feel his muscles tighten painfully with every step.

"Please," I whispered. Eunhyuk lifted his head to signal me, he was listening. "Please, don´t hurt yourself anymore. Please, Hyukkie," I pleaded. I couldn´t take it anymore. I know, I´m too soft, but this is just too excruciating. Eunhyuk stopped and caught his breath.

"Donghae, it´s my job," he breathed again, "and I´m used to this," another one, "sure, it´s tiring." Sniff. I didn´t let him continue, I was already sobbing as a big cry-baby I am. Eunhyuk stiffened under me but then sat and let me jump down. He transformed into his human form and took off the load. Turning to me, he stretched himself.

"Better?" he said softly.

It was too soft for his usual rough voice. I nodded and wiped my red eyes. But when I looked properly at him, my eyes began tearing again. Eunhyuk´s clothes were wet and dirty, his breathing was heavy, red nose and ears, his hair was sticking to his face from perspiration and his eyes showed exhaustion. What a sigh, really. Where that handsome face has gone off to?

"Do I look that bad?" Eunhyuk chuckled, wiping his forehead. "Maybe I could get a spoon of that strawberry jam?" He smiled teeth-gums-wrinkles and all. No, that handsome face is still there. I thought to myself and started fishing Eunhyuk´s little piece of sunshine from my backpack.

That night we were camping under a big fallen tree. Eunhyuk was already lying down as a wolf of course, even snoring a bit. He had fallen asleep immediately after hitting the ground. I was sitting in front of the fire, wrapped in a blanket, thinking of today. After the ´jam brake´, Hyuk persuaded me to climb on his back again. We continued like that until the evening. I kept talking just so I wouldn´t be able to hear his pained breathing. I swear, I´ll convince him tomorrow to let me at least partially walk.

After a while I got sleepy too, but right before I completely fell into a slumber, I felt warm fur wrap around my tired body. Sadly, I didn´t have enough strength to check if my assumption was right. Drifting into my dreamland, I leaned closer into the newly obtained soft pillow.