Hunter (EH)

The Treasure Island

 

 

Hunter EH

"So you´re heading north," Kyuhyun hummed deep in thoughts.

 

We were currently sitting in the cabin, eating breakfast. Donghae and Kyuhyun had yesterday´s deer leftovers and I was given an apple pie. Some kind of a silent apology from the hunter I suppose. I didn´t mind of course. Hae was telling our story, smartly leaving the Treasure Island out. Even he wouldn´t tell the hunter the truth. The fact, that I´m still alive doesn´t make me obligated to trust that insolent brat.

"I was planning to go for the winter to the town located under the northern part of the mountains," don´t tell me he is suggesting, "I could set off earlier and we could go together!" No!

"That sounds good. It´s always more fun to travel in a bigger group!" Donghae beamed. No, it isn´t!

"I know these hills better than anyone else, I´ll guide you through the shortcuts only I know about," Kyuhyun added. I was not persuaded.

"Awesome, we will be down faster, Hyukkie," my excited friend looked at me hopefully. Game over, Eunhyuk.

"Yeah," I sighed.

Kyuhyun managed to pack his things in a day. Some necessities like clothes and a brush, lots of supplies too. When he wasn´t looking, I sniffed for a bit around his backpack and apart from the deer meat, I could smell apples and many kinds of nuts and dried fruits, oat flakes and jerky. Maybe it´s not such a bad idea to let him go with us.

I growled at the provocation. Kyuhyun was sitting on the ground deciding on which weapons to take with him. First maintaining his hunting rifle, thoughtfully cleaning it. He put out a few packs of bullets, powder and oil. Then he went on to choosing between various kinds of knives, machetes and swords. Once in a while he would glance at me meaningfully and even ask which one he should take.

"Donghae, since Eunhyuk is so strong, can I take one more gun with me? Please," Kyuhyun pleaded. I was hoping, Donghae would refuse, since he hates it if I carry too much stuff.

"Of course," came the answer. He probably didn´t realize into whose harness that rifle and some other Kyuhyun´s stuff goes to.

Early in the morning of the next day we were ready to go. Kyuhyun in his unfashionable outfit, sorry to notice, but I´m quite sensitive with things like that, was walking next to me. He was looking at my antlers and nose. I see that smirk, you brat!

Donghae was sitting on my back, talking about some rumours he heard from the merchants. I was just silently marching. With the new companion my overly timid nature returned again. Putting all that Dongae´s nagging for the last two weeks in vain. But as always he himself didn´t notice.

 

After about three hours of walking Donghae went quiet. It made me somehow nervous because he always talks, and on top of that I felt him lean on me. But I didn´t want to turn my head, it was dangerous. I could hit him with my antlers. I had no other choice but to ask the annoying tall kid.

"Hey, Kyuhyun. What´s Donghae doing?" The hunter looked at the load on my back and then back at me.

"Sleeping." That´s a relief, I was almost worried. I hope Kyuhyun looks after him in case he was to fall off.

"Now that we are alone, I want to tell you something," Kyuhyun suddenly said. "I don´t like you. Animals aren´t friends of humans, they are to be used or killed by them. You´re not a human to me," he finished in a cold voice.

Well, I kind of expected this. The difference between the way he talks to Donghae and me is too obvious. Also my sixth sense is going insane when I´m next to this guy. But I´m not scared because he won´t do anything to me when Hae is around. And also, ´I´m being used´, right?

We continued in silence after that. I had nothing to tell him. The hold around my neck tightened, Donghae was waking up.

"Hyukkie, it´s raining," Hae´s voice croaked. It was just a statement. We were not going to stop, only thing he needed to do was to put on his hood. I haven´t even noticed it started raining. The woods were meagre, closer to the top and raindrops were falling through crowns of the trees. It was no good, because the ground was becoming wet and muddy.

"Donghae, come down and hold onto my antlers. It´s getting slippery," I stopped walking and he obediently climbed down.

Kyuhyun was still irritated by my lack of response earlier and started climbing faster with a ´too slow´ remark. Which wasn´t a very good idea, because indeed, the road was already crumbly. His leg slipped and he grasped a stonewall for support. This was another bad idea. The stone in his hold tore off the wall and he fell down. But that wasn´t what made me alarmed. The ground was slightly shaking and I knew why. From too much humidity for the last weeks, crackly rocks like this one weren´t stable anymore. The wall started crumbling down on the poor hunter.

"Stay here!" I called on Donghae who let go of my antlers.

I slipped out of my harness, changing into the wolf form as quickly as I could. Running fast I knew, I could make it. I´m the great silver wolf after all. I ran with all my might and howled. Kyuhyun panicked, seeing a wolf with its mouth open, sharp teeth above him, the man was of no help. I will remind him of his pitiful expression later. When I got close to him, I bit into the collar of his coat with my fangs and with my whole strength jumped backwards.

I landed safely, Kyuhyun hardly, on the ground. The wall slumped in front of us with loud racket. Donghae hurried to us with worry all over his tired face. I was expecting him to go for the trembling hunter, but he embraced me tightly instead. I certainly wasn´t ready for that!

"Hyuk, for the God´s sake, don´t do this to me again!" Donghae was shaking badly, so I hastily morphed and hugged him back. He buried his head into my coat and began sobbing.

"Are you alright? Did you get hurt too? You´re crying?" This guy never fails to make me distraught.

"Idiot. You just made me scared, jumping right under those falling rocks," Donghae whined. At least nothing happened to him.

"Sorry, it was an instinct. I won´t do it again,” I said quietly. The next time I will let the hunter die, I promise! “Please treat this , I´m sure he has some fine swelling now," I tried not to laugh after the last statement, but the humoured tone gave it away. Not like I care.

After Donghae took care of Kyuhyun´s leg and a large bump on his head, we decided to put him on my back. Donghae would take more baggage since he slept well and was full of energy. Kyuhyun tried to protest, but his vote was invalid.

My mood became better. Finally I got the upper hand and even though the hunter was heavier than Donghae, I felt lighter. The short traveller was holding onto my antlers and saying some strange stuff again, he´s really random sometimes with the choice of topics.

But suddenly he leaned down to my head and whispered something to my furry ear. Then he just continued with his babbling, but I think that if I was in my human form right now, I would be sporting a blush after hearing his whisper.

"You are the best, Hyukkie."