Wind (DH)

The Treasure Island

 

 

 

Wind DH

"Are you for real?" Kyuhyun pointed at Eunhyuk and started laughing aloud.

Eunhyuk, the deer, instead of his usual harness had sleight tied to his body. It was a great idea since the ground was frozen closer to the north. It would be an immense burden to carry the heavy stuff through the snow and I was worried about my dear friend too. But you know, to be honest, the sight was priceless.

"Where did you lose Santa?" Kyuhyun continued to mock him. I thought that he perhaps shouldn´t provoke Eunhyuk.

Ryeowook helped us prepare for our final journey, he even packed lots of food, especially for Hyukkie. The little shop owner was very kind and last night was so much fun. At least before they forced Eunhyuk to sing. When he did, everyone continued making fun of him until he just exploded and in one long sentence spelled out everything he thought about bratty Kyuhyun, ugly Ryeowook or poisoner Sungmin. I don´t know about singing, but he would definitely make a good rapper. Also, he had no complains about me.

"I should have bought you some jingle bells, that would be cuter," the final straw and the deer was gone, instead a big wolf freed himself from the sleight.

"Say it again!" It took Eunhyuk only a few seconds and three jumps to knock down and sit on top of Kyuhyun, who was now lying on the ground astounded, watching those big fangs growling just a few inches from his face. "Che," the wolf spat and let the poor boy breathe. Yeah, nice start.

We left the city, which was standing lonely in the middle of nothing but had everything thanks to Yesung and Ryeowook. I wasn´t sure what to expect now but according to Eunhyuk, the terrain should change soon. There were supposed to be sparse forests and later many glaciers. I was scared but also very excited to see parts of this world he described. And more than that, soon I was to take over the leadership and guide us to the Treasure Island, because only I knew, where it´s located. I was utterly terrified by this extreme challenge but I knew, that with Hyuk by my side, I could do anything.

In a few days, we crossed a big part of the snowy plain and just like Eunhyuk predicted, we soon arrived to a hillier terrain. As the surrounding kept changing, our pace also needed some alterations. We slowed down and continued more carefully.

I thought that today seemed especially long, I had a bad feeling too. I was looking around from my seat on Hyuk´s saddle. The sporadically placed trees were covered by snow and the sun was hidden behind thick clouds. Now that I think about it, we these clouds here all the time?

"It doesn´t look good," I heard Eunhyuk mutter. He was talking to himself, but I think, he meant the sky too. I was sure he kept the note of it since some time before.

In only fifteen minutes the weather to rapidly worsened. The wind was blowing rapidly and it started snowing heavily too. We were all of a sudden in the middle of a snowstorm. I was holding tight with my arms around the deer´s neck, I almost fell down due to the furious wind. I couldn´t see nor hear anything, I could only feel Eunhyuk´s heavy breathing and rapid heartbeat from the close proximity.

"Dong-hae!" I realized, my name was being called.

We weren´t walking anymore and Hyuk was sitting on the ground signalling me to climb down. When I did, Eunhyuk put the sleigh on the side, making a barrier. Before I could try and do anything, useful or not, I was laid down next to the sleigh. The object was perhaps a make-shift barrier from one side and a big warm wolf took me into its embrace from the other side.

I closed my teary eyes and curled into the silver fur. The wind was blowing hard, burying us into the snow. I was of course scared, I didn’t know where Sungmin and Kyuhyun were and that thought made me panic. I started crying. I had promised myself not to cry anymore and be strong for everyone, for Hyukkie, but the roaring around me was too much. Everything was freezing and I even heard one of the trees crack. We are going to be buried here alive.

"Hae!" I looked up and at that moment Eunhyuk my face. What?! I glared at him and he laughed, at least I think he did, because the wolf face doesn´t change much. I felt his body contract, though. He made me calm down, as always. Protection, I couldn´t but feel safe even in this horrible snowstorm. As my body warmed up from the silver fur, I dozed off and fell asleep exhausted.

When I woke up, it was already dark and I had been carried over somewhere else. I was lying on a blanket, a fallen tree behind me. It must have been the same tree I heard crack during the storm. Hyuk was sitting with his back to me and was taking care of the fire. I got up and lazily went to sit next to him.

"Are you okay?" Eunhyuk looked at me with serious face.

"Yeah, and you?" He was shielding me after all, it was all rougher on him. But I was given a toothless smile and a nod.

"Can you make something to eat? I´ll go sniff out the others. It should be easy, Sungmin still smells after that stupid ammonia," Hyuk chuckled and I nodded my head.

Eunhyuk morphed into his canine form and left. They are surely fine, he wouldn’t be so relaxed if they weren´t, right? I better prepare the dinner before he comes back. I´m sure he must be hungry. I didn´t know at what point Hyuk´s stomach became my top priority, somehow, I got really attached to the morpheles.

After a while Eunhyuk really came back with our friends. He was laughing, his gums showing like never before. I was amazed how he can laugh so brightly out here in the frozen nothingness. Following the grinning man was Kyuhyun, who on the other hand seemed pissed off. I´m curious, what happened.

"Donghae!" Sungmin cried and ran to me. "Are you alright? You’re not hurt, are you?" He hugged me tight, he was also a protective character.”

“I´m perfectly fine, Hyukkie took care of me," I answered and Sungmin smiled at me warmly, he seemed to be well too. Then I overheard Eunhyuk´s chuckling again and Kyuhyun´s click of tongue.

"Sungmin, what happened to you? Hyuk keeps laughing," I couldn´t wait anymore and asked, I was really curious. But Sungmin only muffled a chuckle into his sleeve, but didn´t say anything. This funny secret was killing me. Don´t say they were laughing at me?

Meanwhile Kyuhyun and Eunhyuk sat by the fire. The always hungry one immediately attacked Ryeowook´s last pack with sandwiches. They were filled with eggs and strawberry jam. Hyuk tried to snatch a whole bottle with the jam, but Wookkie was firm and didn´t give him his last bottle. It was apparent that my friend was quite hurt by this cold treatment. Nothing had bigger influence on the man than food.

Sungmin told me how they got lost. Apparently, he slipped and Kyuhyun helped him up. And when they looked to the front, they didn´t see us anymore and they got lost, trying to catch up to us again. Of course we didn´t notice with such a strong storm around us that our friends were missing. Fortunately Hyuk sniffed them out and brought them to the camp. But that didn´t explain Eunhyuk´s reaction when they arrived. I know, it´s most likely futile but still I´ll try to ask Eunhyuk himself.

"Hyukkie, why were you laughing before?" Sudden silence spread around us after my question.

"Don´t!" Kyuhyun glared at Eunhyuk.

"Why? You know, Hae," Hyuk beamed his infamous smile, "when I smelled Sungmin, I went in that direction. I was about to call their names when I suddenly spotted Kyuhyun. He sprinted to a tree and then right back, and again. I was standing there for about like five minutes and he was still running like a maniac. And you know why? He thought that if he perspired, I would sniff him and find him!" Indeed, that must have looked funny. I laughed together with Hyuk and inconspicuous Sungmin.

"Shut up, Rudolph!" The hunter barked.

"Whatever, sprinter," Eunhyuk only snorted.

And then I noticed that the clouds opened and the moon raised through them, illuminating my laughing friends and the sulking hunter. Somehow, I thought that this had been the very last hurdle.