Lake (DH)

The Treasure Island

 

 

Lake DH

Almost there. We were currently walking through a small forest, according to my map we should be close to the lake already. I kept fidgeting nervously on Hyuk´s back. But instead of kicking me down, he went faster, pulling the sledge. Soon, very soon we would reach the frozen lake and from there it´s only a step. Eunhyuk sniffed and started running. He must have smelled the water! I tightened my hold on his antlers and ignored Kyuhyun´s and Sungmin´s yells to slow down and wait for them. Suddenly the sunlight hit my eyes and I had to close them, we were out of the forest. But when I opened them again, I couldn´t hide my disappointment.

"What is this," I couldn´t believe it. The lake was there but it wasn´t frozen! How is that possible? It´s deep below zero in here, the lake shouldn´t be wavy and sparkling. How are we going to get to the island now?

"There must be a hot spring, look at the steam," Eunhyuk said and indeed the lake was covered in fog. I´ve read about hot springs before, it´s a water heated by the Earth´s crust.

When Kyuhyun and Sungmin arrived later too, we all went into a painful brainstorming. The water wasn´t as hot as it looked like, it was perhaps only slightly under the temperature of a human body. But if you aren´t a fish, I wouldn´t recommend swimming to the island. Wait!

"Hyukkie, can´t you transform into a fish?" I asked expectantly. All the eyes were on him, Eunhyuk almost blushed.

"Y-Yeah, I can. But it´s not like it would be much useful," he murmured, looking at his shoes.

"Why? What kind of fish?" Sungmin as always was curious. He was silent for many pregnant minutes before we got the answer.

"Anchovy," he said in a tiny voice. Another long silence and then we all burst out laughing.

"Bwahaha! Why would you need an anchovy?!" Kyuhyun managed to ask over his laugh.

"Stop it!” Eunhyuk barked embarrassed. “Everyone kept saying that I look tiny, so I learned it to show everyone what tiny really means!" Hyukkie was furiously blushing by now. But his answer was so absurd that it took us about thirty minutes to calm down from the vigorous laugh. This guy is a genius.

In the end, we decided that Eunhyuk would use his owl form to take a look at the lake, while we make a camp on the bank. The sulking white owl soon disappeared in the skyline and I was wondering why there were no mentions about the hot spring in my collection about the Treasure Island. Are we at the right place? Did I make a mistake somewhere? I had to wait for Hyuk to come to find out more. But almost three hours had passed before he came back. With a loud thud, he sat on the ground and transformed into a human. He looked exhausted.

"The lake is unbelievably huge. But I think, I saw an island. I didn´t got too near, though," Eunhyuk announced.

So flying there is not an option, it´s too far and too physically demanding for the morpheles. If we had a boat or something. Geez, I really must be an idiot. Why in the hell did I bring with me all my carpenter utensils if I didn´t plan on using them?

"I´ll make a boat,” I shocked everyone with my statement. “Can everybody lend me a hand?"  I said nonchalantly. I was too engrossed in being a traveller that I completely forgot my own profession.

We cut a big tree and gouged out the wood, until we made something similar to a kayak. It was small, just enough to hold one person and perhaps a backpack. I was so proud of myself. Finally I helped us with my own strength and I was suddenly so full of confidence that I wanted to leave for the island immediately.

"But it´s already late afternoon, you won´t make it," Kyuhyun reasoned.

"I don´t need to make it back today. I´ll go now and return tomorrow," I was being stubborn. I couldn´t wait anymore, we were almost there! Eunhyuk saw the giddiness in my eyes and smiled for himself.

"Okay, but I´m coming with you," he didn´t want to spoil my fun, but as always, he was cautious.

"Hyukkie would surely fit there. Right, anchovy?" Kyuhyun mocked. I decided to sail before the hunter gets eaten by a very angry wolf.

The boat wasn´t big but it was stable, I fit there just well. I was holding a paddle; a small mouse was sitting between my legs enjoying the ride. Hyuk was the cutest in this form, I wish I could once tell him that. He helped me a lot, it´s good that he gets some break too. Resting on my lap.

According to Eunhyuk, the island he spotted was on the east, so as long as I have the sun behind my back, I will be going in the right direction. The sail was calm, strangely the wind had completely stopped and everything was covered by the thick steam. It was like a magic, dreamy atmosphere I read about in my favourite books. Only the setting sun shone through the fog, illuminating the small visible part of the water level around the boat.

"Donghae?" The mouse squeaked quietly. I didn´t dare to make fun of the voice so I just hummed.

"Can you sing a song?" Hyukkie asked me.

What´s with that strange request? Eunhyuk didn´t use to ask anything of me, I was surprised. Pleasantly surprised. Rowing steadily, I began singing. The lake was answering me in an echo, but I continued singing. It was Hyukkie´s wish after all. I sang, while my little friend lied down and I believe, he even fell asleep. Just like that we were moving on the empty lake until the sun completely disappeared. I could expect this, there was no way for me to row to the island in two hours, now we couldn’t make it back anymore.

"Don´t worry, let´s just sleep here and I´ll take us to the island tomorrow," Eunhyuk yawned and on his four short legs ran behind my back where he transformed into his most handsome form. Soon I was enveloped in a warm hug, two lanky hands were safely clasped together on my stomach and a familiar mop of raven hair settled down on my shoulder. I leaned back into his body and was about to zone out when Eunhyuk spoke again in his deep voice.

"Thanks for the song, Hae," and with that he snuggled closer.

I felt him breathe against my neck and knew, that he was already asleep. Maybe it was his canine nature or maybe it was the reflex to protect, but Eunhyuk grew a habit to sleep curled around me. I suddenly had a need to do something special. I know it´s stealing, but I couldn´t help it. I slightly turned my head and brushed my lips against his temple. I stole a kiss from the great wolf.

"Good night, Hyukkie."