Woods (EH)

The Treasure Island

 

 

Woods EH

 

I woke up with an uneasy feeling. I couldn´t exactly pinpoint what was wrong, but I learnt to listen to my sixth sense. We were here alone in the mountain woods and we both relied just on my abilities to get us through the worst. I looked down at Donghae curled next to me with his head in my fur and shifted him a little so that I could stand up. He slightly opened his mouth, but continued to sleep. One word, fish.

Standing now on two legs, I started preparing a breakfast. Even my uneasiness didn´t stop my hunger, which I was glad for. My clumsy rambling through our stuff woke Donghae up. I didn´t want to disturb his sleep but nothing´s worse than a hungry wolf, you know. He slowly came to me and in one reach he pulled a ham sandwich out of the rucksack. Still with his eyes closed, he handed me the food and returned back to his blanket. I was left sitting on the ground speechless, Donghae´s ability to feed me was superb. Today I´m going to treat Donghae well, promise!

About an hour later we were on our way, up on the mountains. Donghae was already wide awake, sitting on my back or skipping next to me, happily chatting about some unimportant issue. I didn´t mind as long as he wasn´t crying. After yesterday´s drama, though, we decided to change our advancement. Donghae would sometimes climb down and walk next to me, how he managed to keep talking I don´t know.

"You know, Hyukkie, Siwon would always jump really high," here it is again.

"Don´t call me that."

"Call you what? I was talking about Siwon, the horse," Donghae said innocently, but I knew he understood. It´s not that hate him calling me with nicknames, it´s just that everyone calls me with cute names! Why?! It doesn´t feel right, I´m the great wolf, the majestic deer, the legendary morpheles!

"Why do you hate it so much? Would you be happier if I called you ´Deer´ or ´You´? Don´t be so obstinate, Hyukkie. Being less uptight won´t kill you," Donghae scolded me and I had to agree. It´s not like it would kill me and we´re here alone too.

"Whatever," I mumbled. Donghae jumped and hugged me around my neck, loudly laughing into my ear. "Don´t push it," I warned and he quickly obeyed. Walking behind, pouting. I could only chuckle.

Our day went just like that, Donghae´s mood went up and down as often as he climbed up and down from my back. I have to admit, that he considerably eased my labour on one hand but on the other hand greatly burdened my mind. I was always on the edge whether I went too far with my words, or on the other silence, to make Donghae cry or if he would laugh it off. I would find the right equilibrium once.

We were about to call it a day and set up the camp, when the tension returned. I felt my stomach churn and I knew it isn´t a good sign. We should find a better place to stay the night, because there was no cave nor fallen trees protecting us at least from one side. Sun hasn´t set yet, we still had some time. I urged Donghae to stand up again and help me find a better shelter. It was a mistake.

After a while we found a U shaped rock and we decided to camp there. But it was already night, the moon replaced the sun and the darkness spread everywhere. This wasn´t good. I turned into the human in order to make fire, which should have been lit before it became dark. I was to pay for my error.

"Auuuuuuuu," horrific howling echoed very close to us. Wolves! Why didn´t I smell them? They must have been on our tail from the morning. Walking with the wind and keeping their distance.

"Donghae! Run to the rock and pull out your axe!" I called and took out my new silver dagger, running to him.

"Hyuk, what´s going on, I´m scared!" Donghae cried, and that made me shiver to the core.

I´ve been in this situation before, but I´ve never felt so anxious. Donghae was completely vulnerable and I wasn´t sure if I could protect him without a fire. That´s it! If we had the fire, we would be safe. I was about to run for the matches hidden in our baggage, but the pack of wolves got already too near. We were surrounded.

I eyed the wolves carefully, immediately spotting the alpha. I stared into his eyes fiercely, I hoped the animal would understand it stands no chance against the great silver wolf. In my canine form, I would be much bigger and stronger than him and this thought I tried to convey. The alpha seemed to hesitate, but I never expected a young wolf to suddenly attack. Not old enough to understand the situation, its blood just boiled and it jumped at me. I had to interrupt my eye contact with the alpha and in a swift movement I brought out the dagger I had in my firm hold. I stabbed the wolf in the jump. It landed with a loud thud on the ground, its fierce attack was over. Pulling out my weapon from the warm body, I hurried back to Donghae. No negotiation was possible at this point.

“Hyukkie," I heard Donghae whisper. He was standing there, clutching his little axe, shaking. I felt so damn helpless.

"No problem, Donghae, let´s have a toast with jam later, alright?" I said firmly. My companion slightly recovered from his stupor and nodded.

Wolves became angry with their young member lying sprawled on the cold floor. The alpha howled and the pack started to close the distance with us. Instinctively I pushed Donghae with his back to the rock and stood in front of him. No one is getting near him, you beasts. But the wolves had no fear, readying themselves for the attack. Aish, seems like I have no choice!

"Donghae! Close your eyes and don´t you dare move! Get it?!" I screamed, voice full of rage. I put the dagger back to a sheath on my belt and took a deep breath. I didn´t like doing this but I had no choice if I wanted to end this quickly and with the smallest risk.

My skinny body started changing its shape, becoming bulkier and bigger. My muscles were stretching, causing me a great pain. I lied to Donghae back then, it´s impossible for a transforming flesh to not hurt. I gritted my teeth and let my body finish this horrible transformation. Finally done and I breathed out. Roaring loudly, I let everyone understand that the great bear had risen. I expected the wolves to run away, but it seems they are used to big bears in these woods. Such a bad luck.

I didn´t wait for them to attack me first and knowingly I went for the beta, alpha´s right hand. In one hit I made the beast fly far to the back. It caused slight panic among the wolves and made it easier for me to catch them unprepared.

"Behind you!" I heard Donghae yell and turned just in time to meet with the angry alpha going for my artery.

I smashed him with my strong paw, hurting it in the process. But it seemed like the injured alpha brought finally everyone to a halt. Poor canine under my legs howled once again, limping away fast, and the whole pack with their tail between legs started slowly retreating. I waited until the last wolf disappeared from my sight and my nose stopped sensing the nauseous smell of canine breaths, and turned to Donghae.

"Hyuk! Are all right?" He ran to me with a worry in his eyes and stretched arms. HE shouldn´t have watched, he shouldn´t have seen. I began transforming to my genuine form, collapsing right into those spread arms.

“Hae.” And then with the last grunt I out.