Island (EH)

The Treasure Island

 

 

Island EH

When I unsealed my eyes, I thought I would die from a heart attack. There, right in front of me was an island. Donghae! He was sleeping in my arms and I started shaking his body to wake him up.

 

"Donghae! You did it, look! We found it!" I called. His eyes slowly opened, he blinked once, twice and then, "Oh my God!"

The sight was breath-taking, the sun was shining from behind the island letting us see only its contours. It was as big as a small village with a slight hill in the middle. We just sat there in the boat astounded, but Donghae woke up first and brought out the paddle. In few rows, the boat hit the bank. We got up from the wobbly boat with effort and jumped on the land, but instead of snow we landed in something like a black sand.

"Volcanic ash," Donghae said crouching on the ground. It´s no surprise the lake is a hot spring. There must be a small volcano underneath. The island itself is perhaps a product of some small eruption years ago.

"Let´s climb the hill and look at the other side," I suggested.

And so we went up the black mountain. The ground was loose because of the ash and Donghae kept slipping. I was a little ahead already but I went back to him and took his hand in mine. Holding hands, we climbed up the short hill and stood at its top. Crazy. There wasn´t any better word to describe the view.

"Hyukkie, am I still asleep?" Donghae was shocked too. Instead of saying anything, I squeezed his hand in mine to show him he was awake.

Beneath our legs was the other side of the hill, lit up by the sunshine. Instead of ash black, the whole surface was red. Here, far on the north, where´s just freezing wind and ice, was an island covered by flowers. Years ago, when it was warmer, a flower seed landed onto those volcanic ashes and when everything froze, this magic island protected by the hot lake kept blooming. The red flowers had five big petals and white centre, their leaves were dark green and they glittered under the morning sun. Nature´s jewels, hidden far from greedy humans. The beauty of this place was out of this world.

"There is no treasure on the island," Donghae suddenly spoke up. His sparkling eyes turning sad.

He was right. There wasn´t any chest with gold and money. Silver spoons, ancient coins or pirates´ hideout. Donghae went hundreds of kilometres from his home. He had to survive for so many weeks on the journey. He was almost killed by bandits, eaten by wolves, crushed by the avalanche. He almost froze to death, he bled, got lost and was tired. Donghae wasn´t used to fighting for his life like that, but he did it. He fought and won, but there was no prize at the end for him.

"It is not a treasure island, the treasure is there, though," I whispered.

I wasn´t lying. The moment Donghae stepped out of the boat, the Treasure Island earned its treasure. Donghae was the real treasure I found. It´s cheesy, I know, that´s why I didn´t answer when Donghae asked what I meant by that. This is my little secret and if he ever does find out, I will burn from the embarrassment into ashes and become a part of the island.

With the thought of surviving, I once again spread my white wings and took Donghae gently by my claws. Stirring up the black sand, I soared to the sky. If I had to fly only one way, it was okay and I was energized from yesterday´s long sleep anyway. Heading back, we bid goodbye to the Treasure Island.

"You know, the island was really the nature´s treasure but I can´t pay my bills with that," my friend mumbled from beneath me.

"I told you, you will have to supply me with the strawberry jam instead," I answered seriously.

"What if I won´t," he looked up at me. Is that a challenge?

"You can never escape me, Donghae," I wasn´t planning on letting him off. I didn´t want to let go.

"I don´t want this journey to end," his voice became sad.

Often, I had these thoughts when I wished, I could just live in Donghae´s village. The weather was calm and the food was great. Everything in the never changing land was simple and stable. I wouldn´t be able to animalize freely but in my human form everyone treated me nicely. I felt happy in that country, so warm and comfortable.

Or maybe it was just Donghae, who made it feel that way. Whenever I felt cold, sad, tired or angry, his mere voice would always calm down my wild soul. My animal instincts go well with someone as peaceful as Donghae. It doesn´t matter where I am. If I have a person, who can turn an island into a treasure island by my side, I can live my live happily. That was a rare wish that emerged from my cold heart.

"You know,” I began “there is this legend that in the south lies a city created by Gods. Do you want to go look for it with me? We could take the poisoner and the hunter too, if you want," I threw the bait.

"Really? I´ve heard about that too!” That was the start of Donghae´s many hours long monologue. “It was established by six Gods and it is said to be made of gold and silver. I want to find it, Hyukkie! Please, please, let´s go there together. If we find it, I´ll give you a half of the city!"

The fish is caught.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The End