Lies

Silent Angel II

14.

Hyesu arranged the appointment with Baekwon again, and she didn’t care whether he was pissed off with her when she delayed for a week.

“Baekwon,” Hyesu said, sitting down. “Let me get this clear. I’m helping you to deal with Kai. And only Kai. The only Kim Jongin. I’m not helping you to deal SM, or EXO, or Suho, you get it?”

He nodded his head. “Let’s just carry on.”

He opened his file and flipped through the pages. “Alright. We’re here to discuss on the diary you have. I need that diary and publish it,” he explained. “Our company has a reputation, and I’m known for handing articles on time. I need to finish everything within two months after I submit my form.”

“What has this got to do with me?” she asked. Baekwon rolled his eyes and nodded his head. “Anyway. I need you to tell me what you have. What kind of evidence, how many pieces and what are those. After this meeting, I’ll meet you in a month’s time,” he said and she nodded her head.

“I have his diary. When he was young, when he started to date behind my- I mean he started dating once he entered SM Academy. He would flirt, non of his relationships will would last for more than two days. So you can say, he’s a playboy. And..” she stopped. Should she even say it?

“Any evidence that shows some mental breakdown of the girls he dated?” he asked.

“I..” Hyesu hesitated.

“What’s the matter?”
“I.. I think we should keep it confidential. If we bring this up again, I think it can harm the .. girl,” she explained and bit her lip.

He shrugged. “Alright then. Anyway I don’t want criticism coming from the victim’s families towards the magazine.”

“Ah yes, and one more thing. I’ll give you commission-“

“Baekwon.” She stood up. “I helped you, not because of money. I just want people to know what he has done. I don’t need money.” She grabbed her bag and slung it over her shoulder. “If there’s nothing else, I would like to go now,” she said and exited the room.

 

 

She slammed the door shut and took off her shoes, then fell onto her bed. She looked at the ceiling and closed her eyes.

---

Eunhye shivered as she walked into the gates. She was about to enter his house, but the door opened, and it revealed his father. “Mr Kim..” she whispered and immediately bowed.

“You’re not welcomed here,” he said abruptly. Eunhye blinked in surprise and took a quick glimpse of her watch. “Oh.. alright,” she said and walked away.

“Kim Eunhye,” he called out. She stopped and turned to face him. “Yes?”

“No point calling Jongin, Eunhye. He won’t answer. He doesn’t want to talk to you,” he said. Eunhye nervously laughed as she forced out a smile. “I don’t understand what you’re talking about,” she said and walked away.

“You don’t understand? He treats you as a toy. Once he’s sick and tired he’ll just dump you one side. I’m here to tell you to not be his toy. I’m helping you Eunhye. I don’t want you to get hurt by my son,” he said.

“I know my son more than you do. I exactly know how my son feels about you. I know everything about my son,” he continued. “To put it in a good way, he is .. infatuated by you. To put it in a bad way, he treats you like a fling. He doesn’t really actually like you.”

“You’re lying, Mr Kim,” Eunhye said aloud, turning to face him. “Jongin didn’t tell us about our relationship to you because he knows that you don’t approve. He needs to buy some time to-“

“Buy what kind of time? He tells me everything when he comes back home, Eunhye. If he really likes you, shouldn’t he just announce it to me instead of buying some time?”

Even now, Eunhye felt .. insecure. But no, she must have faith in Jongin.

“Because he spares a thought for you. He doesn’t want to do things that you don’t like, that’s why he doesn’t want to tell you, but at the same time he really enjoys being with me, that is why our relationship is so stable.”

He laughed. His laugh, was filled with confidence. His laugh made Eunhye couldn’t help but lose faith. After all, Jongin is really his son. He may know everything about Jongin than her.

“Eunhye, you really stick to him alot. Fine, you won’t give up until you hear it for yourself,” he said and took out his phone. “Before I call him, you can call him first.”

Eunhye just looked at him. He raised an eyebrow. “Go on. Call him.”

She slowly took out her cellphone and dialled his number.

He didn’t pick up.

Her heart sanked, she didn't feel so good. She didn't feel as confident as before.

“He didn’t pick up?” he asked and nodded his head. “I knew the outcome would be like this.” He dialled Jongin’s number. “Now listen carefully to every word he says,” he said and pressed ‘call’.

Once Jongin picked up, Eunhye lost faith. She lost.

He picked his father's call, but not hers. Why?

“Hey dad!” Jongin said in a cheerful tone. It was.. cheerful.

“Jongin. When are you going to hold your party?” Mr Kim asked, hiding his smile. “Tomorrow, what’s the matter?”

Eunhye swallowed.

“Oh, because Eunhye came, but she didn’t see you so she left. Did you receive her call?” he asked once more, and there was a long silence before Jongin spoke up. “N-no. N-not at all.”

Eunhye knew he was lying, and that was when she actually lost faith. Not in Jongin, but in herself. She wondered why did Jongin even lied, he knew it was very obvious that he’s lying yet he still wanted to lie. But he lied to his father for what reason?

He lied to his father, was it because of her?

“Jongin, I just want to ask you. Have you broken up with Eunhye, just like what I requested you to do?”

There was a long silence.

“I didn’t break up with her appa,” Jongin said on the other line, which made Eunhye heaved a sigh of relief.

“I.. I didn’t even start with her.”

 

That was when her whole world crumbled. He actually denied that she was with him. From the beginning, he was already lying.

Lie. Lie after lie. And another lie comes to cover the other lie.

“Alright. Glad to have this answer from you. Ah yes, and one more thing. Tomorrow I’m inviting Yoomi too. She’s a nice girl. You should get to know her, alright? Bye,” and that was how he hung up.

“You heard that Eunhye. He didn’t buy time. He didn’t even start to go out with you. It’s only you and your thinking,” he said. “Maybe because my son’s nice to everyone, and since you guys know each other from young, that’s why you have this type of misunderstanding. I can understand Eunhye. You’re still young. Only sixteen. You have other boys to choose-“

“I understand what you are saying Mr Kim. I fully un-understand,” she croaked. She forced out a smile and bowed, before walked away.

Once her back was facing him, her tears just started streaming down her cheeks.

She felt terrible. She was jsut deserted like this because of lies. She didn’t even start with Jongin from the beginning. It was Jongin who was lying to her from the start.

Even though Jongin may treat her as aa girlfriend, but Eunhye found him a coward. He cannot speak up for himself. From the beginning he already listened to his father.

And even though they may have started, but Jongin would be lying to his father that they never started.

He was either lying to her or his father, or both.

Just to get the both of them by his side.

He had no guts to clarify this matter, and instead he just let it drag. Drag until this state. Where Eunhye would be the one who is hurt, not Jongin.

And in the end, she was the one who is hurt, not him.

She ran with tears flowing down and once she wiped a tear away, another one falls.

As she remembered that incident in his house, she felt humiliation and embrassment burning in her. She was acting his girlfriend, but actually wasn’t. If people were there, they may find a thick skin, a person that deserves no respect.

Because in people’s eyes, she was actually clinging onto Jongin, and Jongin was desperately trying to hide from her.

In people’s eyes, they thought Jongin found Eunhye a nuisance, and maybe, that’s what Jongin’s thinking.

Her cell phone rang and the caller ID made her wanted to cry even more. Kim Jongin.

She mustered up her courage and took in a deep breath shakily before answering. “H-hello?” she said.

“Eunhye! My god I’m so sorry. I didn’t get your call until now,” he said.

*A lie.* Eunhye thought.

If he really didn’t see it, how could he even pick up his father’s call without seeing the miss call.

“Ah yes, I forgot to tell you. My birthday is held tomorrow, so..”

“Jongin,” Eunhye interrupted. “I’m afraid I can’t go to your birthday tomorrow.”

“Oh.. That’s sad.. But it’s alright. There’s still a next year right? I got to go now, I’ll catch up with you later on, bye!”

“Bye..”

“Oh wait! And.. I love you,” Jongin ended that.

That made Eunhye confused. Next year? Why next year? Why can’t there be a belated celebration for just the both of them? Why didn’t he persuade her to attend his party instead of just agreeing to her decision? And why made her confused because of his ‘I love you’ to her? Why did he made up so many lies? Saying that he didn’t notice the missed call only until now. It’s lies.

All lies.

That’s why Hyesu hates lies, and hates lying to people. Because she can feel the pain in being lied, it was horrible.

-----