A Deal

Silent Angel II

10.

Kai blinked at all eleven of them while they gobbled down spicy rice cakes, especially Xiumin and D.O.

D.O. his lips as he nodded his head, then popped one more spicy rice cake into his mouth. “The ratio of meat, vegetables, eggs, and seasonings in water is just perfect, and topped with gingko nuts and walnuts, it’s wonderful,” he said, savouring every flavour while Kai had to take a piece of tissue to wipe the sauce off his roommate’s cheek.

They had been going around Seoul non stop and Kai has lost his chance to see Hyesu.

 

He sighed and went to a bench, watching as the other members fight for the food. Squabbling in public, with people giving them the weird looks and they sheepishly apologized, but continued squabbling.

As D.O. popped another spicy rice cake down, he savoured the flavoured and sighed in content. “I’ve lived,” he murmured and giggled to himself. Then, he glanced at Kai who was looking down at his wallet, letting his fingers trace over a photo, sighing.

 

A sad sigh.

 

He sat down beside his roommate and bumped shoulders with him. “What’s wrong?”

Kai immediately kept his wallet in his pocket and shook his head. “Nothing. Just tired.”

D.O. narrowed his eyes at Kai. “Don’t you want to catch up with Suho?”

*Catch up with Suho?* Kai thought, pouting. “Too late.. too late to catch up with him..” He felt a surge of jealousy overwhelming him. It didn’t make sense, though.

D.O. frowned and looked at him. Then, he touched Kai’s forehead with the back of his hand, while Kai shot him a look and smacked it.

“Are you alright? Suho’s still there, you can talk to him whenever you want to,” D.O. said while Kai sighed again. “Not that. Just that..” his voice trailed off.

 

He suddenly sat up straight and looked into his roommate’s eyes, while he looked back, raising an eyebrow. Kai immediately looked away.

D.O. rolled his eyes and elbowed him. “You know, I have been your roommate for so long. I definitely know you’re hiding from me.”

Kai took in a deep breath and faced him again, then gulped. D.O. pouted dramatically as he turned to one side and folded his arms. “Do I really look that scary that you don’t dare to tell me anything?” he whined.

 

Kai groaned and scratched his head. “Not that. I’m not sure if I should tell since it’s already history- and you’re sitting so close to me I just found out how big your eyes are actually so..”

“So you still find me scary, don’t you?” D.O. finished, his back still facing Kai. “Not that..” Kai said.

“Then what?” D.O asked, finally turning to face him.

Kai then took another deep breath and took out his wallet. “Don’t tell anybody. But I think, Hyesu isn’t Hyesu,” he said and to prove it, he took out a picture that was kept for so long in his wallet that the picture was stuck to the plastic folder of the wallet.

 

There it was. Hyesu, who Kai claims is not Hyesu, with him together in one picture.

 

D.O. gasped as his eyes widened in surprise and covered his mouth. His mind, blown.

He almost fainted, but Kai woke him up with a tight slap on his thigh. “Yah! Don’t be too dramatic!”

He calmed himself down, trying to bring back his mind as he snatched the picture from Kai and his eyes widened even more. He gawked at the picture then tore his gaze from the picture, looking at Kai. “Then, who is she?”

 

 

“What?” Hyesu asked again, unclear of what he wants. “I want the diary, the diary that holds the evidence to his colourful life when he was a teenager. I need it,” he said, explaining it to her again. She looked away.

Now, slightly afraid of him. “I don’t know what you’re talking about. And I have no idea what it is,” she lied. “I think our conversation ends here,” she said. Grabbing her bag, she walked away.

He smiled. “It’s understandable that you won’t entrust an item to a stranger,” he said, stopping Hyesu in her tracks. “Not to mention an item that can wreck one person’s life. But I know your moves Hyesu. I know you have it, and I know you want to expose what this Kim Jongin has done. But if you want everyone to see his true colours, you alone can’t attract much attention. You need someone to back you up.” He approached her closer as he slid his name card in her bag.

 

“If you wish to discuss about it, you are always welcome. But my patience is short, you have to come by the end of the month, otherwise,” He smirked. “I can have it, at all means.”

He smiled once more and walked away. But before he left the cafe, he turned back to look at Hyesu once more. “Since you know I have dug up your background, you should know I know every single person who is close to you, right?”

 

Hyesu’s eyes rounded in shock as she looked at Baekwon, while he just smirked and walked out. She bit her lip, the first two people that she thought of was the one lying on the hospital bed, and the other one was, Suho.

 

 

Hyesu went home, tossing her bag on the sofa and sat down beside her bag. She then rummaged through it, looking for the name card as she dialled the number immediately.

Hyesu only knew this journalist was scheming. If he wants something, he would definitely find it. There’s no use for Hyesu to pack her bags and leave, because someone was pulling her back. The patient in the hospital. The one who’s dearest to her.

 

That was her Achilles heel.

 

Baekwon answered the call with a steady tone.

 

“I’m Hyesu. Regarding our deal at the cafe, I accept.”

He smiled as he spun his chair. “Good. I know you’re smart, Hyesu. I’ll meet you the day after tomorrow then.”

Hyesu abruptly hung up. Not for a single second did she want to spend time talking to a person she detest based on the first impression.

She looked at the photo frame that was beside the sofa, and she slowly held it in her hands, softly smiling. It was her, and another girl. In the picture, Hyesu’s hair was braided to the right side and tied with a small ribbon, while the other’s girl had a head band. Her hair fell behind her shoulders, but still beautiful as ever.

 “Unnie. You slept for so long. Your hair, it has grown till your elbows. Your face, so pale and weak. When will we be so happy together again, like this photo?” she murmured, a silent tear trickled down her cheek and she wiped it away.

How strong can Hyesu be? Even a strong tree that fought many rain, will eventually fall.

------


A/N I'm sorry I didn't update! Well, firstly busy with school. Second, busy with the other story I have on my hand-Suit Romance (go check it out if you're interested self promotion here~) and thirdly, busy with life. T.T

Anyway! Back to this story! I think the mystery is revealing by itself like an onion.You know, having many layers of skin until we get to the centre (botoom) of it. A metaphor! :D 

Thanks for reading!