CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

Realigning The Lost Stars.

Picking the Pieces.

 

 

 

“You know that you’ve to go back don’t you?” stated Yunho softly to the girl who was resting her head tiredly on his shoulder.

 

 

Yoona gave a small sniffle in response, her red rimmed eyes glued resolutely onto the white marble floor. Her tears had long subsided and what remained was the aftermath of her emotional breakdown; the tear and snot stains on Yunho’s sweater as well as the fatigue in her heart and body.

 

 

Yoona shook her head stubbornly. She didn’t want to go back, not the slightest. She didn’t want to face the pitying looks, her failures and the horrible betrayal of one of her closest friend. Yoona didn’t want any reminders of her supposed reality. It was all too much to bear and Yoona wasn’t sure if she could (and would) want to go through all of that willingly again. There was only so much one could take. Hiding away in Yoochun’s place had provided her with a sturdy insulation to the outside world; her safe refuge.

 

 

Yunho sighed, knowing how stubborn his favorite younger sister can be when she chooses to dig her heels in deep.

 

 

“Don’t you miss everyone?” he cajoled, hoping that the mention of her close friends would tempt the girl to return, “Everyone’s going crazy searching for you. Taeyeon and Sooyoung hasn’t stopped crying since and you know how rare Tae actually cries.”

 

 

At the mention of her sister, Yoona felt her lower lip quiver. She did miss her friends and deep down, without a doubt, she knew they had to be worried sick for her. For one, she was not one who does such a thing lightly; vanishing without a trace nor a sound.

 

 

But she was just so tired. So tired of living up to the expectations of others, of her responsibilities and obligations. Just this once, can’t she put herself first?

 

 

“What about Changmin?” asked Yunho desperately when Yoona remained silent, “That boy will drive himself to the ground trying to find you.”

 

 

At the mention of her (ex)best friend, Yoona let out a choked sob, feeling the familiar burn in her eyes. Yunho didn’t understand. Changmin was lost to her since the day of their stupid fight. Something between them had changed, a crack that wasn’t there before. Never had they gone so long without making up after a fight. And it hurts, it hurts to remember that Changmin was right, that Changmin no longer cared.

 

 

Yunho felt a slight panic at triggering the waterworks once more, feeling a tad overwhelm at the rare display of emotional vulnerability of his friend. He hadn’t intened to make her cry again, he just wanted her to go back to her life. Hiding away, as enticing as it sounds, wasn’t an option. He would know.

 

 

Yoochun clicked his tongue as he entered the living space from the hallway, having overheard the conversation as Harang trailed loyally behind him, “Stop forcing the girl in doing what she’s not prepared to handle yet.”

 

 

And Yunho gaped at the other man’s blatant defense over Yoona for a good two second before mouthing in exasperation, “Not helping Yoochun!”

 

 

Yoochun merely rolled his eyes as that as he poured himself and Yoona a cup of water. Taking a sip of his, Yoochun padded over to the duo, crouching down to face Yoona as he gestured for her to drink up. Funny how all it took was a week of playing babysitter to have this habit ingrained in him once more.

 

 

Sighing, Yoochun merely glanced at Yunho who was stilling looking at him in displeasure, “Keep forcing her and you’ll end up chasing her away. I won’t be held responsible if she leaves in the middle at the night at the pressure of you forcing her hand.”

 

 

Yunho blanched at the thought of Yoona disappearing again, but this time, without the security of Yoochun looking after her.

 

 

Yoona gave a little sniff at Yunho, feeling proud (and warm and fuzzy) that there was someone rooting in her corner for a change. It was childish but it had felt good, particularly since it came from someone she didn’t think would support her decision.

 

 

Yoochun sighed at the look on Yoona’s face, akin of a kid puffing her chest proudly in front of her friends in victory. “You missy, what Yunho said was right as well, you’ve got to go back.” Only to have his heart panged at the look of betrayal on the doe’s face.

 

 

“You said I could stay.” Whispered Yoona tearfully.

 

 

Yoochun fought the urge to run his hand down his face in exasperation at the sight before him; Yoona looking at him as though he had announced he had eaten her last choco pie – a crime that was apparently the most hideous in her world- and Yunho glaring daggers at him for making the girl cry again, wondering just when had he taken the mantle to be the most logical one out of them three.

 

 

Hell, back in the past, he was the one who was suggesting the most outlandish things, consequences be damned.

 

 

With a sigh, Yoochun placed his palm gently over Yoona’s shaky ones that were holding onto the glass of water, imploring her to listen to him. “I’m not chasing you out.” He said, “I meant it when I said that you can stay, but Yunho’s right, you need to go back – one day when you’re ready to stand on your feet once more, you can’t hide away here forever and you know it. As much as I would indulge you, I can’t and I won’t. Hiding away doesn’t help Yoona, it only makes it more unbearable when you’re forced to confront things. Trust me, I would know.”

 

 

Yoona’s tearful gaze met Yoochun’s firm but gentle ones,  knowing that subtle note of pain stemmed from speaking from his own experience and she had an inkling as to what it was. It was also then did Yoona wonder just when had her friend grew to be this wise and mature. Where was the hot headed and implusive Park Yoochun?

 

 

Yoochun gave Yoona the tiniest bit of a tender smile as he gave her hands a gentle pat before turning to his (ex)leader, “And you.” He said in all seriousness, “You better not giveaway Yoona’s whereabout to anyone. Knowing you, you’ll probably cave and bring someone to my doorstep to either let them see Yoona for themselves and or to let them convince Yoona to go back.”

 

 

Yunho flushed a little at Yoochun’s arched brow, having being caught.

 

 

Yoona gaped at the duo, feeling a tad impressed by Yoochun’s ability to read his friends despite the years passed before turning to face Yunho seriously, “Do it and I’ll run away.”

 

 

Yunho gaped at Yoona’s threat before being flustered at the combination of Yoona’s serious look and Yoochun’s knowing ones. He couldn’t remember when was the last time he was tag teamed like this, “I won’t, I promise! I swear on it, sheesh!”

 


 

Changmin laid himself on the long black leather sofa in the living room of the apartment he shared with Yunho, staring blankly at the white ceiling as he played back the memory of his encounter with Jaejoong and Junsu, again and again and again.

 

 

And each time he did, a little more of his heart broke. The gulf between them hurt. How had they strayed so far from each other? Why was it that all he could feel was the great wall barricaded between them when in truth, he could have just reached out and touched them both.

 

 

Sighing, Changmin fretted, his heart heavy as he worried over Yoona and thought about his latest relationship dynamics with his former bandmates.

 

 

Vexed, Changmin merely laid an arm above his eyes, hoping that it would somehow stop his treacherous mind from spinning in a gazillion different directions as he awaited for Yunho to return. It’s been hours, just where is the man?

 

 

Just then, the door chimed open and Changmin leapt to his feet.

 

 

“Did you find her?” asked Changmin immediately as he hovered around Yunho who was shuffling slowly in the doorway as he took off his sneakers.

 

 

“No, I’m sorry.”

 

 

And Changmin felt his stomach drop. Yoona was still missing and God knows if she was safe. Only… Changmin narrowed his eyes suspiciously at his leader. The man was steadily avoiding his gaze as he passed him to the kitchen.

 

 

Changmin followed, peering at the back of the man in suspicion, only to be proved right when Yunho cleared his throat awkwardly as he continued to keep his gaze on anywhere but him.

 

 

Changmin folded his arms, blocking the exit of the kitchen with his body, “You’re lying.”

 

 

Flustered, Yunho merely spilled the orange juice he was pouring out from the carton. God dammit, what was with everyone pyschoanalysing him today?

 

 

“I’m not!” insisted Yunho and Yunho hated the crack in his voice. Yoochun was going to kill him.

 

 

“Yunho…” trailed Changmin warningly.

 

 

At that, Yunho huffed as he folded his arms, “you brat, how dare you call me by my name, I’m your hyung.”

 

 

Changmin merely cocked his borw at that, “You don’t seem to mind that in the past, why are you so offended by it now?”

 

 

Yunho grimaced. , Changmin really wasn’t letting him off easy, recognizing the look of focus on the younger man.

 

 

“What are you hiding?” asked Changmin as he crept closer to Yunho,

 

 

“Nothing!” insisted Yunho.

 

 

Changmin slammed his hands down onto the table as he faced Yunho, “Stop lying to me!”

 

 

Yunho winced at Changmin’s hiss, knowing how much the latter had being lied to ever since…

 

 

Yunho sighed. He really didn’t want to hurt Changmin, not when it’s always been them against the world.

 

 

“She says she’ll run away if I tell.” Confessed Yunho softly.

 

 

And Changmin nearly buckled in relief. “Is she okay? Is she alright? Where is she? When is she coming back?”

 

 

Yunho was torn between smiling at the man’s concern for Yoona and grimacing at how much he could tell, “She’s safe, in the good hands of someone but…”

 

 

Yunho hesitated, “I don’t know when she’s coming back. She doesn’t want to.”

 

 

Changmin gaped, “What do you mean she doesn’t want to? What about her job? Her family? Us?!”

 

 

“Yunho!” called out Changmin in exasperation when the older man merely grimaced at him in silence, “Take me to her, I’ll talk some sense into her.”

 

 

“No” exclaimed Yunho in panic. Yoona would run away and Yoochun would skin him alive.

 

 

“Why not!”

 

 

Yunho softened his stance, knowing that Changmin was coming from a good place.

 

 

“She really isn’t joking when she says she’ll run away if I bring anyone over or divulge her location to even one person. I’m sorry Min but I can’t risk it. I don’t know what I’ll do if I cause her to disappear again.”

 

 

Changin wanted to pull his hair in frustration.

 

 

“Who is she staying? How do we know it’s safe? That the person wouldn’t go running to Dispatch with an exclusive?”

 

 

Yunho gave a reassuring smile, his mind instinctively pulling the memory of Yoochun giving Yoona a glass of water even if the girl hadn’t ask for it. “He’s taking good care of her and he’s someone we can trust. If you don’t him, trust me, I’ll vouch for him.”

 

 

"Him?!” boomed Changmin, his eyeballs nearly bulging out of his sockets.

 

 

“Why the hell are you allowing Yoona to stay with a man?! What if he takes advantage of her?!”

 

 

Yunho snorted at that ridiculous accusation, remembering how Yoochun had glared at him each time Yunho said something to upset the girl intentional or not, “Don’t worry about that, he won’t. In fact, I think he might harm the person who ever tries though.”

 

 

Changmin stared at his leader in confusion as the man talk about this mysterious man, his mind coming up empty as he tried to think of the possible candidates who could house Yoona and have that much approval and trust from Yunho.

 

 

“Who is he?”

 

 

Yunho shook his head ruefully, “I can’t say.”

 

 

And Changmin felt his frustration mount. He could see that Yunho was apologetic in having to keep things from him but the man’s soft but determined stance told him that no matter how much he probes, Yunho’s lips would remain sealed. Changmin wanted to growl at the man’s stubbornness.

 

 

“At least let me talk to her.” pled Changmin. He didn’t care if he was begging, he needed to hear it for himself that was she alright.

 

 

Yunho felt his will waver, knowing that Changmin wasn’t someone who begs.

 

 

“Her phone’s still switched off.” His excuse was feeble and Yunho knew it.

 

 

“Call the person that she’s staying with and have him bring the phone over.” Said Changmin. His desperation apparent as he grasped at straws.

 

 

Yunho bit his lip, sandwiched between his begging baby brother and protecting his younger sister.

 

 

“Please.”

 

 

And Yunho sighed in resignation. How desperate must Changmin be in order to say that magic word to him?

 

 

Pulling his phone out, Yunho dialled the one number he hadn’t expected to have in his phone book, having forced the actor to give him his number for emergency purposes.

 

 

Yunho grimaced and tried to pull back to no avail when Changmin hovered close, invading his personal space as the dial tone droned on.

 

 

“Hello?”

 

 

And Changmin’s brows furrowed at the vaguely familiar baritone voice that emitted from the phone. It was soft but had that odd sense of familiarity to it, if only he could just put a face to it…

 

 

Gulping, Yunho wondered how to best make his request known, “Umm…”

 

 

Only to wince when the man over the phone sighed in exasperation, knowing that he was caught, “God-dammit Yunho! You told someone about Yoona already, haven’t you?”

 

 

Changmin nearly fell over when he recognized the voice. Yoochun, Yunho was speaking to Yoochun. Changmin felt a particular wench in his heart, being so close to his former band mate was exceptionally difficult since it had only been hours since he last encountered the other two of the trio they made.

 

 

Yunho watch curiously as Changmin’s eyes mist before getting distracted by Yoochun’s nagging.

 

 

“Hey! It’s not my fault! And I didn’t tell him who you are or where Yoona is! He just wants to speak to her.” huffed Yunho in annoyance.

 

 

Yunho rolled his eyes at something Changmin couldn’t hear, “I’ll have you know that I resisted for at least a good 15 minutes! Not 3 seconds!”

 

 

There was more muffled shouting from the other end and Changmin didn’t know if he wanted to laugh or cry at the familiarity of things.

 

 

Yunho sniffed indignantly at something Yoochun said, “Well, the person I’m taking about is Changmin so good luck in trying to resist him!”

 

 

At that, the voice on the other side of the call grew oddly silent.

 

 

Yoochun stilled when he heard who it was that was begging to talk to Yoona via his phone. Changmin. Knowing the man, that relentless guy was probably hovering around Yunho and all Yoochun had to do was to ask Yunho to pass the phone over and he could talk to Changmin himself.

 

 

Yoochun gulped, he had no idea why that idea had sounded so incredibly tempting or why there was this annoying invisible lump in his throat.

 

 

Yoochun cleared his throat hurriedly, not wanting to delve into his sentiments, “Fine.” He said brusquely as he stood from his sofa, “I’ll bring the phone over to Yoona but seriously, no one else! She might really make a run for it.”

 

 

Carefully, Yoochun gave a knock on the door, only entering when he heard a soft “Come in.”

 

 

Yoochun padded over to the bed, sitting at the side when Yoona merely looked at him curiously, a book in hand as she laid comfortably against the bed frame.

 

 

Yoochun sighed, giving the phone in his hand a little shake, “Changmin wants to talk to you.”

 

 

Yoona gaped at Yoochun in shock before shaking her head, “Yunho.” She simply said. It hadn’t particularly came to her as a surprise that Yunho had told Changmin, knowing how persistent Changmin can be and how weak Yunho was to his baby son.

 

 

“Do you not want to talk to him? asked Yoochun softly when he saw Yoona hesitate.

 

 

Yoochun sighed, attracting Yoona’s gaze to rest on him. “I don’t know what happened between the both of you,” said Yoochun simply, “but if there’s one thing I do know is that Changmin cares about you. Don’t make the same mistakes I did. Pride is not a good reason to stop yourself to talking to the ones that matters the most.”

 

 

And with a small smile, Yoochun left his phone on Yoona’s lap. “I’ll leave you to it, I’ll be in the living room.”

 

 

And just as abruptly as he entered, Yoochun left. Yoona stared at the phone resting in her lap, watching as the time continued to run as the phone line remained open.

 

 

“Yoona? Yoona? Hello?”

 

 

The tears started to build again at Changmins muffled voice emitting from the phone. With shaky hands, Yoona picked up Yoochun’s phone before bringing it to her ears, “Changmin.” She said simply.

 

 

Changmin’s breath hitched when he heard Yoona’s voice. It was soft and weak (so unlike Yoona’s usual bubbly energy) but it was her.

 

 

Changmin let out a breath he didn’t know he was holding, “Are you okay?” he asked softly.

 

 

Yoona shook her head sadly (not that Changmin could see) as the tears drippled steadily down her cheeks and onto the blanket.

 

 

“No.” she said honestly and Changmin wanted to weep at the amount of sorrow shrouding that one word.

 

 

Changmin sighed, he could see why now Yunho had been so protective over Yoona. Hearing her just made him want to hit GD all over again when he just did. It was official both Tiffany and GDragon were on his list.

 

 

“You’re going to okay, Yoong. I promise.”

 

 

Yoona muffled a cry at Changmin’s timber voice, wanting desperately to believe his words but unable to do so. Not when she still felt raw and shattered, not when everything she knew and believed in were in shambles.

 

 

Changmin shot Yunho a pained look at the tell-tale sign of Yoona crying again, no doubt that Yoochun must have left her alone to take his call.

 

 

“Here’s what I want you to do Yoong,” said Changmin gently, taking care to keep his voice as soothing as possible, “Don’t cope yourself out in the room, stop isolating yourself. Find Yoochun hyung, cook a late night supper, watch crappy television, laugh and then sleep. Can you do that for me?”

 

 

Yunho stared at Changmin in shock when the younger man mentioned Yoochun before shaking his head in resignation. Changmin had always been the smart one and no doubt he had put the pieces together when he was on the phone with Yoochun earlier.

 

 

Yunho snorted, so much for attempting to keep this a secret from Changmin.

 

 

Changmin rolled his eyes when Yoona said she didn’t want to harass Yoochun, “Please, that lazy man could probably use the company and food.”

 

 

“Just do it, okay?”

 

 

Changmin sighed in relief when Yoona gave a hesitant yes.

 

 

“Alright, take care of yourself you hear me, I’ll see you soon. Goodnight.”

 

 

And it was only when Yoona had uttered a soft “Goodnight” did Changmin hang up and returned the phone to Yunho.

 

 

Folding his arms, Changmin stared at Yunho seriously, “Okay hyung, you have 2 options. One, you’ll take me to Yoochun’s place tomorrow when night falls or two, I’ll try finding out where Yoochun stays and risk everyone finding out what I’m doing and thus resulting Yoona to possibly run away when more people finds out about her hiding space.”

 

 

Yunho gaped at Changmin’s threat before groaning in defeat, knowing that there wasn’t much of a choice from what Changmin was giving. Park Yoochun was going to kill him.

 


 

Yoochun was distracting himself by trying to focus his attention on the television programme when his front door suddenly chimed open.

 

 

Gaping, Yoochun can only watch in shock when both Jaejoong and Junsu let themselves into his place, black plastic bag in hands. It was then did Yoochun regret allowing his friends to know the passcode to his place. Instinctively, Yoochun darted a quick look at the closed bedroom door of where Yoona was at. Oh .

 

 

“Chun-ah!” cried out Junsu as he flung himself over to the other man, “You won’t believe the most horrible thing that Jae hyung and I found out today!”

 

 

Yoochun chuckled nervously, “Oh yeah?”

 

 

Junsu nodded dramatically, “Yoona’s missing! She ran away because of that bastard and that lying cheating no good for nothing Tiffany! I can’t believe Fany would do that to Yoona! How horrible!” before becoming oddly silent as he snuck a cautious look to his friend, “We saw Changmin too.” Whispered Junsu.

 

 

Yoochun’s brows rose in genuine surprise, “What?”

 

 

Jaejoong eyed his friend carefully. There was something that wasn't quite right, the only time where Yoochun had sounded genuinely surprise was when Junsu had mentioned they saw Changmin.

 

 

Yoochun paled when he heard a door opening and the sound of footsteps padding softly to the living room. Oh crap, oh oh oh crap.

 

 

“Yoochun, here’s your phone and oh!”

 

 

Yoochun groaned, shutting his eyes in defeat.

 

 

“Yoona!” squeaked Junsu in disbelief, his round eyes ping-ponging between the girl and his friend before running over to the girl to envelope her in a tight hug, “I’ve been so worried!”

 

 

Yoochun sighed, rising his hands up in surrender when Yoona continued gaping at him, “I didn’t tell them, they just happen to decide to barge into my place tonight of all nights without even the courtesy of a phone call.”

 

 

Yoochun sniffed as he crossed his arms while shooting his two friends a dirty glance, “Talk about disrespect.”

 

 

Jaejoong gaped before making his way over to the famous Korean actor, swatting him violently, “You , you should have told us!”

 

 

“Ouch! Stop it, it really hurts! Ouch! What are you five? Stop hitting me!”

 

 

“Go Jae hyung, smack him hard!” cheered Junsu by the side, his arm still slung over the doe who was gaping at the scene unfolding before her.

 

 

Yoona propelled herself into action when the Park actor cursed after a particular hard hit, “Oh my gosh, stop. It isn’t Yoochun’s fault, I told him to not tell anyone!”

 

 

Jaejoong stopped smacking Yoochun the moment Yoona interjected herself between the two of them. With one last glare to the man who was pouting behind Yoona as he rubbed on a spot on his arm, Jaejoong gave a tender gaze to the doe, his gaze lingering on her gaunt face and bloodshot eyes before enveloping her in a tight hug, “I’m glad you’re alright. And for what it’s worth, I kneed that in the balls.”

 

 

Yoona gaped at Jaejoong in shock, “Oppa!”

 

 

Junsu cackled as he made his way over, “You should have seen it Yoong, it was epic.”

 

 

Taking over the black plastic bags over from Jaejoong, Junsu hooked his arm with Yoona as he forcefully made her accompany him to the kitchen, “Come on let’s heat this spicy octopus dish up! We have soju as well.”

 

 

Junsu beamed and Yoona found it hard to not smile in return.

 

 

“We’ll have a party tonight! Jae hyung can cook something for us now that you’re here. You need to eat more, look at you! All skins and bones! Did Yoochun not feed you while you’re staying here.”

 

 

“Hey!” rebutted Yoochun at the dirty look Junsu shot him from across the room, “I did! She was the one who didn’t eat much!”

 

 

Junsu tsked comically at the man, “Blaming poor Yoona, shame on you! Come on Yoong.”

 

 

Yoochun gaped in disbelief, exclaiming a loud “Ouch!” when Jaejoong landed one last hit on him as he passed him, “I think I’ll cook up some abalone porridge, or do you want to eat some pancake jeon, Yoona?”

 

 

Yoochun pouted as he rubbed on the spot where Jaejoong last hit as he followed the trio to the kitchen. Why was he getting hit when he was the one who did something nice and good for a change? Aish! How annoying! And they didn’t even bother asking him what he had wanted to eat! How rude!

 

 

“Yah, I want some kimchi jeon too! Yah!”

 


Author's note: 

8 December 2017

*creeps slowly out from my hiding place* Hello. Are you surprised? because I sure as hell am. 

 

Updating it as an early Xmas gift for those who hadn't given up on this despite the years passed. 

 

Not sure who's still reading this but I figured if there's anyone left I owe you guys an apology and an explanation. I know that I've said that I would start anew and I didn't actually post a new material but that was because my hard-disk got stolen. I'm someone who writes digitally so there's one copy of everything. It was about 1/3 done when the disk got stolen and tbh I was just too tired to write it from scratch again for the third time. And so this got shelved to th back of my mind, since I've already lived in my head countless times th ending + there were other things that I've wanted to try out. (And also rly, I'm terribly obsessed over GD recently you don't even know)

 

If I'm completely honest, I did forget about RTLS. It wasn't until a user commented on my other fanfic was I reminded of it's exsistence. It was steiyoon I think so you guys have her to thank for the update. I started rereading this and it ignited some feels that I didn't know I still have for this and so I decided to throw in an update since I was inspired a tad after reading this fanfic again. 

 

Honestly, I won't be updating this regularly. I'm only here because I was really feeling this chapter and I'm taking a short break from churning out a chapter for Capitulate. I've other writing projects that I'll prioritize over this so I'll only be here sporadically at best, so... yep. Keeping this because I don't know when I'll get the urge to pick this up again. 

 

A shoutout to msdadvocate_yoong for urging me to retain this fanfic instead of deleting it all those years ago bcoz looking back, I think I would have regretted it, particulaly since it would be mean it will be gone from me forever since my harddisk was stolen. 

 

I hope you enjoyed this chaper! I really enjoyed how Jae and Su teamed up together to pick on Chun for a change hahaha. Merry early Christmas! Sending all of you kisses, hugs and good vibes to wherever you are!

 

-xoxo, againhello. :)