Rivalry

A Lost Memory in Mokpo

Donghae did not miss a heartbeat. As soon as Sung Ah got inside his car, he gunned the engine and fled.

 

“I didn't know that reckless driving is legal in Seoul!” Sung Ah yelled over the rushing wind, “Are we really coming from the same country?”

 

It took a moment for her statement to register into Donghae's brain. Sung Ah stole a glance at his blank face. Tsk, that Dumbo! Sung Ah hanged on to her dear life.

 

“Oh,” Donghae finally understood what she meant. “Sorry, Puffy.” His foot was lifted off the accelerator a tiny bit. “I got used to running away from mobs of fangirls and paparazzi all the time. I didn't know I was driving a little too fast.”

 

“Yeah. 100Mph is a little too fast.”

 

Donghae gave her a sheepish smile. He mentally slapped himself for his own carelessness. He did not want the accidents that had happened to s happen to Sung Ah. No wonder no one has ever let him drive anyone.

 

A slight guilt formed inside Sung Ah upon seeing how remorse Donghae looked, “I'm alright, Dumbo. I have my seat belt on,” Sung Ah softly added, even though she knew that the seat belt would only die with her. “Hey, at least being a celebrity is not all bad. You get to visit gorgeous girls at anytime.”

 

Donghae was quick to understand her indication this time. He merely laughed at her teasing,“SNSD are my donsaengs. Super Junior and SNSD are siblings' groups, so a hyung can visit the donsaengs at one in the morning.”

 

“What about Jessica?” Sung Ah did not mean to be nosey, but curiosity was slowly eating her.

 

“Jessica? She's supposed to come with us today, but she needs to shoot her drama. That girl rather sacrifices her sleep and me just to be on time for her first day.” Donghae loved the way Jessica handling her work. A small smile crept on his face at the thought of her working hard.

 

I've officially found my match. Sung Ah stared at Donghae's incredulously. His dense mind could rival with her own stupidity.

 

Donghae parked his car at a quiet street. “We're here,” he announced before Sung Ah could press the matter further. It was against her nature, but somehow, she could not leave Donghae and Jessica alone.

 

***

 

Jessica was floating in air. Her head was dizzy from not touching solid ground. Stop moving! She wanted to shout but she could not. She struggled to open her eyes, but her resolution was gone as she felt a sharp pain jarring her whole body. She cried out in agony.

 

“Jessica! Are you awake?” Even though the voice sounded very familiar to Jessica, her head was too clouded to function. She grabbed on something for support.

 

“Stop groping me!” Kyuhyun protested. He breathlessly carried Jessica to the nearby chair and gently put her down. The shooting have seriously worn him out.

 

Kyuhyun stared at Jessica drifting in and out of consciousness. He was getting more worried, “Jessica, what's wrong?”

 

“I think I sprained my ankle,” her speech was nearly inaudible.

 

For a brief moment, Kyuhyun was relieved ... until he found her left ankle turned into an aggressive shade of red. Kyuhyun grabbed the ice pack from a staff and lightly covered it on the injured ankle. Jessica flinched. She was clearly suffering through a lot of pain.

 

Then Kyuhyun remembered the time when Jessica lost her balance. He could feel the heat rising within him. He tried to stay very calm despite of his irritation, “Why didn't you tell us sooner? Why did you keep on running?” Why did she put up with all the pain?

 

Jessica was surprised by his sudden anger, “I-I didn't want to stop the shooting.” How did he know that I was forcing myself?

 

Kyuhyun was getting frustrated, “You're already in the industry for almost ten years, you should know that a well body is an idol's biggest asset by now.” He stared straight into Jessica's eyes, “Where's your professionalism?”

 

Jessica stared back at him blankly. My professionalism? Jessica has always taken her craft delicately. The whole showbiz world knew the disreputable fact. This was the first time when someone called her unprofessional. She could never imagine someone who was only a year older than she would criticize her work ethic. She was embarrassed.

 

Jessica was embarrassed because she knew that Kyuhyun was right.

 

“I'm sorry,” Jessica's apology was barely there. “I should have known better.”

 

Kyuhyun was relieved by how regretful she looked. He patted her knee with his free hand and smiled up at her, “I have faith in you-and in us-for making this the best drama ever.”

 

For the second time of the day, Jessica was surprised by Kyuhun's words. A corner of tugged upward.

 

Kyuhyun could not believe that he just made the Ice Princess smile! He could not control himself from smiling wildly over the small victory.

 

His phone rang before Jessica could ask him the meaning of his drunken expression. He excused himself and answered his call, “Hello?”

 

“Kyuhyun?” It was Jung Hoon hyung, aka the beloved Prince Manager, “Is Donghae with you? I can't get a hold of him.”

 

“No,” Kyuhyun was alarmed by his hyung's tone. “What's so urgent?”

 

“The boss is mad. He better gets his here right now and charms his way out.”

 

Kyuhyun's headache has returned yet again.

 

***

 

Donghae was beat after a day of shopping at Itaewon with Sung Ah. They were now resting at a French cafe. Sung Ah was acting stiff at first, but after visiting shops after shops, she had became relaxed and even chatty.

 

Sung Ah studied the menu intently, “What's good here?”

 

“Try the macaroons. They have new flavour every month,” Donghae leaned back in his chair and had both of his hands on his chest. “Mm. They'd melt your heart.” Sung Ah laughed at his dramatic act. Donghae was also smiling seeing how delighted she was.

 

“Do you always talk like that?”

 

Donghae was lost again, “Like what?”

 

“You use words like 'heart' and 'love' a lot.”

 

“Really?” Donghae got a little shy now, “People did say that I'm a little cheesy.”

 

Sung Ah rolled her eyes and chuckled, “Only a little cheesy? You were so dramatic already when we were little kids. Your stories about star-crossed lovers are real classic.”

 

Donghae's face began to turn pink, “Oh, man. I can't believe you still remember that! That was so long ago...” he then grinned, “I remember you cried a little.”

 

It was Sung Ah's turn to blush, “No way! Why would I cry at your lame fairytale?”

 

“Aigoo. Someone is in denial,” Donghae in a sing-song voice, “I can see it on your face.”

 

Sung Ah hit his arm playfully, which only made Donghae laughed harder.

 

After a bit of fooling around and the food were ordered, Donghae noticed something was amiss. “Why didn't you buy anything?” he unconsciously spoke out his inner thoughts. “If Jessica was here, she'd make me carry all of her shopping bags.”

 

Sung Ah's smile faded. Her cousin was entering their conversation once more.

 

The lightheartedness she had earlier left her as she answered, “Unlike you guys, I don't have the money. I would have gotten my own place already if I have extra to spend.”

 

Donghae noticed the shift of mood this time. He wanted to kick himself for ruining the perfect picture, “I feel so stupid for asking! I'm so sorry, Puffy.”

 

“I'm fine. I just need to find a job as soon as possible so I won't be bothering Jessica unnie anymore.”

 

Donghae's heart sank when Sung Ah seemed to be bothered by her situation. He did not know how to help her.

 

“Don't worry, Sung Ah. I don't think Jessica minds that you're living with them...” ... unless... “are the girls giving you a hard time?” Worries were written all over Donghae's face. He knew that SNSD could be clique-y sometimes. He should have convinced her to live with SuJu instead!

 

“No! They are alright, but I don't think Jessica likes me.”

 

“Don't pay any attention to her. Jessica is like that to everyone. When we were just trainees, all the guys were scared of her. It takes her a while to warm up to new people.”

 

“Really? I hope so,” Sung Ah was still not convinced. Her instinct told her that her cousin hated her. She quickly shrugged off the thought of Jessica. Right now, she wanted to focus on her only friend in Seoul.

 

As Sung Ah directed her attention back to Donghae, the latter was looking at something else.

 

“Donghae hyung! Don't you have schedule today?” greeted a boy who was slightly taller than Donghae.

 

“Nope. I'm just hanging out with Sung Ah. She's the Mokpo girl I told you about.”

 

“Ah! The puffer fish!” The boy recalled, “What’s up, Sung Ah? I'm Donghae's dongsaeng. Nice to meet you!”

 

 


 

 

Authour's note: A big congratulation to our Jung Hoon oppa!!  I was writing the chapter yesterday and then found out this morning that he already tied the knot! :O

16676yt9314amMo_F3-bhQ0HcWlemTHZwhzdWIAJ

Why was he looking for Donghae anyway?  And what was Henry doing ruining the moment? (If you subscribe then you would know the reasons right away. ;))

oupnT3kxzmsR5ZVisXe7AFl323wvvJfDncBD7jny

P.S. I've decided to extend each chapter.  It's time to move things along. :)