Oasis of Truth

A Lost Memory in Mokpo

On the other side of the bamboo wall, Kyuhyun was having a romantic date with himself. He was so absorbed in the moment that he began to serenade,

 

Your sweet love kills me like death wishes.

Why are you running away from our intoxicating chaos?

I will hunt you down and wrap you in my sanctuary...”

 

Jessica, on the other hand, was falling asleep in the spring. The soothing voice came from Kyuhyun's end broke down her guard. After the song had ended, she even complimented Kyuhyun's singing, “You're a really skilled singer. I wish I can sing like that too.”

 

Kyuhyun was startled by the comment. He was so warped with his own sound that he had forgotten that he was not alone.

 

“You're really good yourself too. I've seen your 'Legally Blonde'. It really showcases your talent.”

 

Jessica was flattered. It was not often to receive praise from one of the best vocals in her field. She arched one of her eyebrows, “You were at my musical?”

 

“Yeah. You probably don't remember. It was a long time ago.”

 

Jessica could not help but thought that if it was not for the drama, she probably would not have paid attention to Kyuhyun among the crowd.

 

“That song is our drama's OST,” said Kyuhyun, filling up the silence. “It's going to be our song.”

 

“I can't wait to record it with you,” replied Jessica genuinely. She had so much to learn from her talented sunbae.

 

Kyuhyun was slightly touched by Jessica's openness. It was not impossible to melt the Ice Princess. She is in hot water. Kyuhyun chuckled at his lame joke.

 

Kyuhyun decided to head back to the house after some duration of solitude.

 

“Jessica, I'm going back now,” he announced but no one responded. “Jessica?”

 

The memory of fainted Jessica flashed through Kyuhyun's mind. He scrambled out of the spring in sheer panic. Kyuhyun found himself kneeling besides Jessica in a moment.

 

He gently shook her bare shoulder, “Jessica! Wake up!”

 

Jessica slowly opened her eyes from her deep slumber. All the tension left Kyuhyun instantly. “You were sleeping? I thought you passed out!”

 

“AH!” shrieked Jessica. She hopped out of the spring still half-asleep and pushed the ert away frantically. Kyuhyun lost his balance and fell into the boiling water.

 

Jessica bolted. She did not look back to check who exactly she tried to drown.

 

The heroic co-star was tossed in the water excruciatingly. When Kyuhyun succeeded in saving his own precious life at last, his entire body shook from spitting out his poison. He truly thought he was going to kiss the ELF goodbye.

 

Everyone calls her a princess? Kyuhyun thought bitterly. She's more like the Ice Murderer! Jessica was holding an ice-sculpted chainsaw around in his mind, running madly after him.

 

All the camaraderie Kyuhyun tasted earlier was erased after the fateful fall.  The victim decided it was pay-back time for Jessica Jung.

 

***

 

Jessica settled herself in front of a table of delicious barbecue in her room. The spacious room reserved for Hyoyeon, Tiffany, and her had no beds, only futons. When Jessica thought that she would be all by herself until tomorrow, there was a knock on the door.

 

Jessica gasped amid seeing her visitor smirking down at her, “Kyuhyun!”

 

Annyeonghaseyo, Jessica-ssi,” greeted Kyuhyun warmly. “So you did know who I am? You know that I'm not some kind of ert who you tried to kill.”

 

Jessica was a little bit intimidated by his sarcasm, but she was not going to back down easily this time.

 

“I'm sorry, Kyuhyun. It's shocking for me too. It's not everyday that someone watches me bathe,” argued Jessica hotly.

 

“I'm so sorry too. For trying to save your sorry . I could have let you fainted like you did last time.”

 

Jessica was muted by Kyuhyun's explanation. Deep down in her heart, she knew that he was not the person to take advantages of pretty women. She sighed in defeat, “I'm really sorry for pushing you...”Jessica broke into laughter, “...into the water.” It was also not an everyday event to see a superstar dripping wet like a stray.

 

Kyuhyun chuckled too. It was bizarre how the two grown-ups still acted like silly teenagers. The two stood at the doorway and laughed. The aroma of beef barbecue lingered in the air.

 

Kyuhyun peered into her room, “You're having barbecue all by yourself?” He walked around Jessica and entered inside, “How can a girl finish all the food?”

 

Jessica did not even have a second to deny his entry. Besides, she felt that Kyuhyun deserved the compensation. Before Jessica could fully comprehend the situation, they already sat across from each other with the grill between them.

 

“We should have some soju and beer too. The guys are coming soon, I think,” suggested Kyuhyun.

 

Which means Donghae is coming too. Jessica was too busy with her thoughts to notice the ahjumma setting his place and putting down a bucket of beers and a few bottles of soju.

 

Kyuhyun poured each of them a full glass of beer and made a toast, “To all of today's survivors!” They laughed and cheered.

 

After three rounds of alcohol, Jessica became light-headed. On the other hand, the other man had not yet reach his limit.

 

“Stop drinking,” Kyuhyun took the soju from the red-faced Jessica. “You're drunk already.”

 

Jessica giggled, “So what? This is a celebration! For our reborn Kyu oppa!” She grabbed his beer and gulped down the rest.

 

Kyuhyun regretted drinking with her. He had no idea how to deal with a drunk woman solely. The day could not get any worse for him.

 

Jessica was now barely standing up and shouted, “Kyuhyun is my oppa!” she staggered to his side and leaned on his shoulder. “You know who else is my oppa?”

 

Kyuhyun shook his head. He tried to get away from Jessica without hurting her.

 

The drunkard continued, “Stupid Lee Donghae is my oppa. Not hers! He's not yours either. He's mine!” Jessica reached for the soju bottle, but Kyuhyun pushed it away first

 

Jessica's head was splitting in halves. She rested it on Kyuhyun's chest. Oh, god. Please don't puke on me, Kyuhyun prayed.

 

“I'm not going to puke!” Kyuhyun was stunned by having his mind read. “I'm not going to puke on my oppa.” Jessica pinched his cheek forcefully.

 

“Jessica, I think you need to lie down.”

 

She buried her head deep into his chest, “I am lying down.” Then she whipped her head up to Kyuhyun's level. Jessica's face was only milometers away from him. “All this time I was the one with you. We're best friends for life. I'm not going to hand you over.”

 

Her watery eyes created by the headache could not dim her determination. “I think I like you...,” Jessica's gaze bored into Kyuhyun's. The longing was so intense that it sent his heart thumping. “I like you, Donghae oppa,” Jessica finally passed out on top of Kyuhyun.

 

Kyuhyun's heart decelerated thereafter. He brushed the girl's hair away from her eyes and found Jessica sleeping soundly.

 

Get a grip, Kyuhyun! The confused man chided himself, she just made a love confession about another man! He heaved a frustrated sigh. The maknae did not like to deal with secrets at all.

 

“Are you sure Kyuhyun's in Jessica's room?” inquired a man outside. “What's he doing there?”

 

Kyuhyun quickly rolled away from Jessica as multiple sets of footsteps approaching the occupied room. He would be busted within seconds! Kyuhyun crawled closer to the table and started putting food in his bowl. He was going to pretend that nothing had ever happened, but then he heard Jessica grunted as her head hit the floor. Kyuhyun panicked as the merry voices grew louder.

 

***

 

“Korean barbecue!” Henry headed towards Kyuhyun's direction as soon as he stepped into the room. Sungmin also ran towards the food eagerly, followed by the remains of SJ-M.

 

“Hi, guys.” Kyuhyun smiled at s with great effort. “Why are you all so late?”

 

Eunhyuk tugged his legs under him and pointed his chopsticks at a person behind Donghae, “That girl got us lost.”

 

The girl mentioned by Eunhyuk walked into Kyuhyun's line of vision. His conjured smile collapsed at once, and so was the girl's.

 

“Kyuhyun sunbae-nim! What are you doing here?” exclaimed Sung Ah. Is the weirdo a stalker too? Taeyeon unnie have always warned her about sasaeng fans... Is he a sasaeng?!

 

“What are you doing here?” astounded Kyuhyun.

 

“I'm the SuJu assistant.”

 

“What? Since when do we have an assistant?!” he looked to his eating members for an answer.

 

It was Sung Ah who answered his question, “Since last week,” then she paused. Her eyes grew wide, “Did you just say 'we'?”

 

The cats were officially out of the bag.  

 


 

Author's Note: I'd say that Kyuhyun hates to be dragged into the drama and then has to deal with Sung Ah at the same time.  

When I was writing the Jessica's confession scene, I was thinking of SuJu's "What If", there's this one line:

"Because it seems like you're going to come to me if I wait just a little."

*cries* *my feels*

(Where did she go anyway? XD)

Thank you for all of your comments!  I feel really motivated and challenged now! <3

Some relationship is going to be rocky for sure, subscribe and stay tune. ;)