Puppets

A Lost Memory in Mokpo

 ''Don't worry, Mr. Park, they'll agree to it,'' Mrs. Choi spoke to the Guess' manager convincingly. After she had hung up, she heard a polite knock on her door.

 

Jessica, Kyuhyun, Jung Hoon, and the SNSD's manager entered the office. Mrs. Choi detected worries on their faces when there's nothing to be fussed over about. They would soon realize this was a fortunate turnout.

 

''What are we going to do now, Mrs. Choi?'' Kyuhyun asked as soon they were all settled.

 

Mrs. Choi smiled and instructed, ''You are going to sign off the endorsement deals from Guess and Gentlemonster with Jessica.''

 

''Why? They'll actually think we're dating!'' Then Kyuhyun's eyes widened. ''That's what you want.''

 

Jessica was exasperate when Mrs. Choi didn't deny the statement. It can't be happening... can it?

 

''What about Donghae?'' Jessica asked dazedly.

 

Mrs. Choi thought the plan for the latest breadwinners were perfect. She did not think of Donghae at all. ''If we're going to accept the CF, you have to hold things off with Donghae.''

 

Hold things off? She wants me to break up with Donghae because of some stupid business deals?! ''I'm not doing it,'' Jessica refused flatly. There's no way I'm going to end the relationship after what I had to go through to be with him.

 

''This is a good opportunity to ride on your fame.'' Mrs. Choi looked at the idols firmly. ''Do you understand how popular you two are? There are much more positive comments than the negative ones about your romance. The director thinks it's a great promotion for the drama too. You can't sacrifice Kyuhyun's benefits for your happiness, Jessica.''

 

Jessica almost forgot about Kyuhyun. Am I too selfish? It's true that Kyuhyun had helped her a lot ever since the drama had started. Am I robbing his chance?

 

''I'm not doing it,'' Kyuhyun said. He looked back at the confused girl. He had to let her know that he was always on her side.

 

Mrs. Choi appeared to be as calm as ever. ''How about this: you accept the offers only as rumoured couple, as long as Donghae is out of the picture.''

 

''How are we going to do this?'' Thomas asked the burning question.

 

The woman looked at the scandalous pictures again. It was taken at night when Jessica and Kyuhyun were making out. It might seemed tough, but she had dealt with worse situations before. ''We'll release a statement. We can say that the photos were taken during rehearsal. We're not confirming or denying the relationship status. The rest will be up to the fans' imagination.''

 

Mrs. Choi continued when no one said anything, ''Kyuhyun, this is a good chance to buy that new car you always wanted for your parents. There will be many more offers when the public sees you two are match made-in-heaven.''

 

''I'll consider it,'' Jessica complied after some thinking, ''but I'm not making any promises.''

 

Kyuhyun almost fell out of his chair. What? What is this babo saying now?!

 

''Good. You'll give me a satisfying answer.''

 

***

 

Donghae have seen the photos a moment too late. They thought that they could keep the scandal away from him?! How slow did they think he was? Donghae felt his blood boiling as he imagined Kyuhyun and his girlfriend kissing under the moonlight. What's going on?! He thought of one scenario after another. None of them could clarify how they had ended up making out.

 

The cafeteria was nearly empty by the time Jessica arrived. She could see Donghae's back from the entryway. She took a few deep breath for she was scared of Donghae's wrath. He'd understand, Jessica tried to convince herself. He hadn't gotten angry when he found out about the kissing scene. He'd said he trusted them because he knew them for a decade!

 

''Hi.'' Jessica sat opposite of Donghae.

 

Donghae didn't like how guilty Jessica seemed, but he restrained himself from saying anything. He would hear her explanation.

 

Jessica stared back at her boyfriend. How did she even begin to explain that fatal night? She'd tell him that it was only a twisted acting lesson? The truth might sound doubtful, but she had to tell him the whole story, ''Remember how I kept failing at my kissing scene back at Busan? Kyuhyun tried to help me that night and that's what on the news right now.''

 

Donghae looked back at her dubiously. What she had said didn't make any more sense then what he had thought. ''And that actually helped? Is there anything else to it?''

 

''What more do you think happened?'' Jessica was vexed. ''I was upset back then. He just evoked the emotions I should have for the scene!''

 

Donghae buried his face in his hands. ''So it was all because of me,'' he mumbled. The humiliation soon replaced the bitter feeling of betrayal. ''Maybe I'm not a good enough boyfriend for you.''

 

''What are you trying to say?'' Jessica hated his implied tone. Her inside was hallowed out. There he was throwing away a relationship that she had fought so hard for. She wanted to hurl something at him. She wanted him to feel the pain she had suffered for the longest time.

 

When Donghae still hadn't answered her question, Jessica got up. ''I'll play the perfect girlfriend for Kyuhyun. You don't have to be the good boyfriend anymore.''

 

Donghae watched Jessica storming out of the room. His mind told him to chase after her and beg her to stay, yet his body was unmoving. He leaned back and gazed at the ceiling above, hoping to find a solution to the mess.

 

***

 

The small music room sealed Donghae in. He played around with the tunes and melodies on his laptop. Only music had the power of transporting him to another world. He wasn't in real life anymore. In the world full of basses and strings, his regret never existed. Jessica had never existed. The tormenting scandal had never existed. He had never doubted her faith, and she had never been mad at him. He was so absorbed in producing his next hit song that he didn't notice someone had barged into his space.

 

Tiffany yanked his headphone off fiercely. Her other hand went up in the air, ready to strike her enemy. Donghae intercepted her wrist before she could bring her hand down.

 

''Calm down, Tiffany!''

 

Tiffany squirmed out of Donghae's grasp. ''How can I calm down when I see a big fat jerk in front of me?!''

 

''Aish! I'll fix this, okay? Please don't make this worse.''

 

Tiffany scoffed. ''You are the one who are making it worse. You didn't fix it last time, so I'm not sitting around and see you screw things up again.''

 

Tiffany's accusing stare bored a hole in him. ''Tiffany... I'm sorry. I didn't mean to run away. I still cared for you, but I just couldn't face it...''

 

''Stop talking! You need to be responsible,'' Tiffany then begged. ''Please face your problem this time, Donghae. Jessica deserves much more than this.''

 

Donghae's carefully constructed paradise was spiralling away.  He saw the hurt in Tiffany's eyes and imagined it as Jessica's.  He could not afford causing his loved ones more pain.

 

Donghae patted her shoulder gratefully now. ''Thanks for the reminder, Fany. I'm going to make her forgive me.''

 

***

 

It was freezing cold up on the roof, but Sung Ah could have cared less. Her heart was thawed once, but now it was frozen one more time. Life had never been back to complete normal ever since she had distanced herself from Dumbo. Now she was sitting on top of the SM building all by herself thinking about him.

 

Kyuhyun had explained the story behind the controversial pictures. She doubted him at first, but he had convinced her somehow. He swore that not all handsome man were playboys. She wondered if Donghae believed Jessica. Of course he believes her! They are inseparable! Nonetheless, Sung Ah knew that Donghae could be immature sometimes. The thought of Donghae was stressing out the girl on break.

 

'''You expect me to believe her lies?!''' Donghae said angrily. '''How naive do you think I am?'''

 

''Why would she be lying?!'' Sung Ah yelled back at him. ''You know how much she loves you!''

 

''Sung Ah?'' Donghae suddenly appeared behind her, making her jump.

 

''How long have you been here?!''

 

He sat down beside her. ''A while now. What were you yelling about?''

 

Sung Ah's gaze found the sky. ''You know what I was talking about.''

 

''Ah, that. I know she loves me.''

 

Their eyes found each other. There were words unspoken. A hint of longing also mixed in the air. Do you love her though? Sung Ah wanted to ask, but she was intimidated by the truth.

 

''What's that,'' she pointed at a booklet in Donghae's hand, breaking the intense stare.

 

''It's my new movie's script. A director saw my scene on 'Mission for Two' and he thought I'm fitting for the dark character.''

 

''You? A dark character?''

 

''Yeah,'' Donghae chuckled dryly. ''I'm stuck at one scene for hours already.''

 

Sung Ah couldn't help but smiled at his distressed face. She wanted to hug him and kept him close forever. ''Well, you're lucky to bump into the best actress from the famous Mokpo. Give me that script.''

 

Donghae just laughed at her exaggerated accent. ''Let's start from page seven, sunbae.'' Then he began to act, '''How naive do you think I am?'''

 

'''There has to have a grain of truth in her lies,''' Sung Ah continued the conversation. '''You don't want to lose her, do you?'''

 

''I don't want to lose you either.''

 

Sung Ah's heart stopped as she heard the unscripted line. She knew she would be out of control once she looked into his imploring eyes, so she stood up and turned away from him. Donghae grabbed her wrist immediately before she could disappear like last time.

 

''I don't know what I've done to deserve this, but I'm still that stupid Dumbo you've known years ago. I've never changed.''

 

Sung Ah bit her bottom lip to keep her tear at bay. She missed him terribly, and she felt the glass breaking.

 

''You need to deal with Jessica first,'' Sung Ah said weakly.

 

''I'm not going to lose a girlfriend and a friend! Why are you guys all leaving me?'' Donghae felt his voice cracking.

 

Sung Ah stooped down beside him. She placed her hands on top of Donghae's. ''I'm not leaving you.'' She finally met his teary gaze. ''We'll going to find Jessica together.''

 

Donghae nodded. He was assured that he could overcome the tallest mountain with Puffy by his side.

 


 

Author's Notes: Do you think that Donghae can win Jessica back this time? I applaud Jessica for not taking his though. :P  Hopefully, everyone knows what they want now... or not... <.<

It was such a cunning coincidence when Donghae actually announced that he's going to have a moive!! o.O I can't wait for his film to come out.  He'd make a hot high school kid. ;)

Subscribe if you like the story.  Comments are much appreciated. A BIG THANK YOU FOR EVERYONE WHO WAITED!! I want to hug every single one of you. <3  I'll be back for another chapter after my psych project is done. :)

PS: I've written 1752 in just one day!  A personal new record!  Woohoo. It took me a long time, hopefully it all worth it. :)  And I am going to do the special rant like I've promised. :)

 

----

 

Disclaimer:  The following comments are only based on the author's feelings about her own story at a reader's perspective.  It's not going to affect the future plot.  Maybe, if the charactor is too annoying he or she will meet a regrettable fate.

So I've read Ch.1 through Ch. 16 when I got a little bit time just to catch up with the story...

Wow, Sung Ah sounded really dumb in the beginning.. :p

Donghae was really sweet though. He's my bias afterall <3

Then by ch.9 I fell madly in love with Kyuhyun. Why is he sarcastic and funny and good to everyone?? He should forget those girl and be with me instead.T.T

And how come no one told me that Jessica is such a drama queen?? o.O I still feel her pain though.

The more I feel Jessica, the more annoying Donghae gets.

Donghae!!! Why are you leading her on???  WHY! >:D Someone kill him off already.

That left Tiffany who's the only here lol.  I love her and Henry. <3

Then I was laughing some parts like a loser.

If you're new or old readers, feel free to comment what you think of the story so far... I mean I just caught up with the story myself... <.<  Good night guys. :)

P.S. Maybe I should reflect on the story more often, I feel like I'm so out of the loop. >.<