Lovely Hatred

A Lost Memory in Mokpo

Tiffany was greeted by merry laughter coming home. She saw Henry and Krystal collapsed onto one another from laughing too hard. Krystal? What is she doing here?

 

Tiffany approached them casually, “What are you guys watching?”

 

“'Radio Star',” Henry answered breathlessly. He scooted over. “Want to watch with us?”

 

Krystal took one look at Tiffany, then she turned towards the TV again.

 

Humph! This girl! Tiffany gritted her teeth. “Henry,” Tiffany said in her sweetest voice. “Aren't you looking for me?”

 

Her syrupy tone grabbed his attention immediately. He nodded dumbly.

 

“Then follow me.” Tiffany made a gesture down the hall.

 

Krystal sneered after them when they were not paying attention.

 

The front door was opened again as Sung Ah entered. She could not believe that she'd meet her younger cousin so soon.

 

“Surprise!” Krystal’s face lit up as soon as Sung Ah showed up. She was the person she had been waiting for all night, not Tiffany.

 

Sung Ah fidgeted. She had no clue as of how to be left alone with her cousin. “Um... Are you hungry? I can make some instant noodles for you.”

 

“I'm not hungry, unnie. Come sit with me.” Krystal invited her warmly. “Have you seen the newest 'Radio Star'? Kyuhyun oppa is scared of a chihuahua!”

 

“Really?” The image of Kyuhyun being chased by a tiny puppy was hard to resist. Sung Ah went to sit with Krystal.

 

They laughed at the ridiculed MC for awhile. Krystal suddenly turned to Sung Ah, “You and Kyuhyun oppa seemed really close.”

 

Sung Ah did not respond at first. “I am closer to him than other people around here,” she admitted. Well, there is Dumbo... Sung Ah wasn't so sure anymore.

 

“Kyuhyun oppa isn't cheating on my unnie, right?”

 

Sung Ah was taken aback. “Of course not! Well, they are not actually dating...”

 

“You'd never know,” Krystal said worriedly. “Aren't you going to the same school as he is? What are you majoring in?”

 

“Music.”

 

“Ah! I think I heard you play before!” Krystal started humming a familiar tune. “Was that your original composition?”

 

Sung Ah nodded. “I've been writing some songs... but they are still pretty rough.”

 

An idea struck Krystal. “How about you write us a song? If the members like it, we might record it for our next album!”

 

Sung Ah was speechless. Instead of responding to the offer, she remembered the Music Bank's stage. It wasn't the incident which she recalled. It was the rush of the performance which invaded her mind. The vibrant energy Super Junior produced for their fans was fascinating. Their song was the spirit of the stage. Could Sung Ah create life for the limelight too? She had her doubts.

 

“Please give it a shot, Sung Ah unnie.” Krystal wrapped Sung Ah's hands with hers. “It'll be an amazing experience.”

 

She smiled contentedly when Sung Ah nodded again.

 

Krystal knew that “amazing” would be an incorrect statement. Nonetheless, everything would be fine as long as she was the only one who knew.

 

***

 

Nights at the Han River were much appreciated even if they were frosty. Jessica was bundled inside Kyuhyun's jacket as they looked on the lights on both sides of the water.

 

Jessica asked the paled Kyuhyun, “Are you okay? Do you want your jacket back?”

 

“Keep it on. I think I'm sick from Donghae's jajangmyeon.” Kyuhyun ignored her apparent stiffness and continued, “He's a terrible cook, but he's really good to you, Jessica.”

 

“I know who's good to me and who's not. Donghae isn't one of them,” Jessica snapped. “Let's not talk about him. Did you find a car for your family yet? I know a really good dealer.”

 

“Thanks, Jessica.” Kyuhyun looked at her skeptically. “Why are you being so helpful all of the sudden?”

 

“I feel bad for putting you through a lot of bad things, okay? I don't want to feel even worse for rejecting the CF's too.”

 

Kyuhyun could not slow his heart's beating. Did Jessica agree the deals for me? Then he recognized how foolish he sounded. There had to be other reasons why she agreed to the masquerade.

 

“Why do you want to do this?” Kyuhyun saw Jessica looking away. “Can you at least tell your partner the truth?”
 

Jessica sighed. “I just want to show how much Donghae is missing out.” The truth sounded more embarrassing in real life than in Jessica's head. “You're dead if you laugh.”

 

She did not kill Kyuhyun when he laughed. It was a cynical chuckle. “I knew it. You're 'going out' with me just to make him jealous.” He was merely an used pawn. “I don't think this is a good move.” Kyuhyun neglected the fresh wound inside.

 

“Me either,” Jessica admitted. “but I can't stand the thought of him unaffected. It's not fair.” Donghae had to understand her turmoil. “Please, Kyuhyun. Let me take charge for once.” She grabbed Kyuhyun's arm and bored her eyes into his. “Let me be your girlfriend.”

 

Please don't cling on to me like this.

 

Aigoo. My kid is all grown up.” Kyuhyun messed with her hair halfheartedly. “She makes decisions for herself now.”

 

Jessica fell onto his shoulder. “Yup. Don't you worry about me.”

 

A series of snores came from the girl shortly after. Kyuhyun stared down at her sleeping. He should have stopped her from throwing herself in front of a freight train. He leaned down and kissed her forehead gently. He probably should not have done that either.

 

Please don't ...

 

... Don't let me love you, Jessica.

 

***

 

The cream cake was flawless. It had shone through the glossy page in the cook book. It had to be the impeccable gift for Jessica's baby sister.

 

“Are you sure we can bake this?” Jessica had asked Donghae doubtingly. “We can't cook.”

 

Donghae had hugged her from behind. “Cooking and baking are different,” Donghae had assured. “We can always buy a cake if we fail.”

 

“Can we buy one right now?”

 

“No, Sica. Krystal won't receive your love if you don't put effort in.”
 

Jessica pouted. “Alright then. Let's start beating the sugar and the butter.”

 

“Be careful with the beater...” Donghae tried to warn her, but he was too late.

 

The mixing bowl slipped from her hands. The gooey mixture escaped and covered the kitchen and Jessica. Donghae laughed at his messy girlfriend. “I told you to be careful!”

 

“You are dead, Lee Donghae!” Jessica grabbed a handful of the butter and slapped them on his face.

 

Jessica gasped as Donghae held her waist to draw her closer. He gave her a slippery kiss. The kiss was disgusting and sweet and salty.

 

The tears were salty. Jessica allowed her tears to fall freely tonight. The kitchen counter supported her trembling body. It did not seem too long ago when she and Donghae tried to make a cake for Krystal. She hated herself for remembering a trivial moment with him.

 

She hated to return to reality from her intoxicating memories.

 

“Why are you up so late, unnie?” asked Krystal sleepily out of the semi darkness.

 

“I was thirsty.”

 

Krystal rubbed the sleep out of her eyes and peered at Jessica intently. “Why are you crying?”

 

Jessica wiped her tears away. “Can we talk tomorrow? I'm tired.”

 

Krystal would not budge. “I don't understand why you broke up with Donghae oppa.”
 

“Me either.” Jessica sighed exasperatedly. “Everything was good for us before the scandal.”

 

“It is Kyuhyun oppa's fault?”
 

Jessica shook her head. “I thought me and Donghae had a strong bond.” She felt her voice cracking again. “It's broken so easily.”
 

Krystal wrapped her arms around her dear sister. “I don't think you guys are the problem, unnie.”

 

Jessica was mystified. “What do you mean?”

 

Krystal smiled at her encouragingly. “Don't worry. I'll take care of everything.”

 

The older sister was thankful. However, Krystal's smirk was never a fortunate sign.

 


 

 Author's notes:  Hopefully, you guys can feel the suspense... <.<  

Sorry for the slower pace.  I wanted to write more about the characters and their relationships, so yeah... I should probably pick up the pace a bit.

BTW I feel apologetic to some shippers.  I mean, Donghae and Jessica's honeymoon phase was so short... That's why I wrote a mini flashback.  I'm sorry...

I'm going to focus on my university applications now.. I've been putting it off for awhile and the deadline is so close. >.<  Subscribe if you like the story.  Thank you so much <3  Especially the readers right now who have been with me for 19 long chapters!! 


"Please love me just once.

Can I crazily call out your name just once?

Because my heart

I want to go closer to your side."

- "Just Once", Kyuhyun.