A-Hundred-Year Promise

A Lost Memory in Mokpo

 The girls were in heaven. The stretching white beach at the horizon of Sanya, Hainan projected an illusion of paradise. The bridal dresses hung on the rack in the room ranging from elegant and lacy to girlish and dreamy. It was a marvellous place to get married.

 

“Unnie!” Krystal held up a white dress decorated with peach roses. “What do you think of this one? Should I try it on?”

 

Jessica ran her hand along the skirt of the voluminous dress. She was already fitted in a jewelled gown which embraced her body perfectly. “Hmm... This is more like Sung Ah's style. It's so fun and girly!”

 

Sung Ah came over to look at the dress. She frowned at the exposed V-line. “It won't look good on me. I got nothing to show.” She giggled.

 

“How about this one?” Jessica pulled out an off-shoulder lacy short dress.

 

Sung Ah loved the gauzy bodice. It was rare for her to had an urge to be the person deserving this dress.

 

The Jung’s then had their hair curled and weaved while waiting for the men to be ready.

 

Knock. Knock.

 

It's them. Sung Ah's heart started pounding nervously. After all, she wasn't used to dressing up like the idols.

 

“Whoa.” Kyuhyun exclaimed as soon as he stepped into the temporary dressing room. He was impressed by the transformations. The pure ivory gowns emitted auras of womanhood. Were they really his dongsaengs? Jessica was especially breathtaking. He did not imagine her glowing the brightest in the room.

 

“Quit gaping, Kyuhyun!” Sung Ah grew uncomfortable under their stunned gazes.

 

Jessica looked away as she figured where he was staring.

 

Kyuhyun smirked. “I wasn't looking at you.”

 

Sung Ah blushed, embarrassed. Aish. This jerk!

 

Donghae jabbed Kyuhyun at the side. “Ignore that . You look beautiful,” he complimented her genuinely, then he added, “All of you look great.” He smiled at Jessica.

 

“Absolutely,” Kyuhyun seconded. He fished his phone out from his pocket and approached Sung Ah. “Your picture's going to scare bad stuff away.”

 

“Go away!” Sung Ah tried to push the annoying sunbae aside.

 

“Awe. Aren't they cute?” Krystal crept upon Donghae as he watched the two flirting. “I ship that.”

 

They saw Kyuhyun finally succeeding having a selca with Sung Ah. They were undeniably pleasing to the eyes. “Not really,” Donghae stubbornly replied.

 

Krystal stared at him as if he's blind. He's not blind. He's just very bitter.

 

“Do you know who make the worst OTP?” she asked Donghae.

 

“Who?” Donghae's focus was still on Sung Ah, Kyuhyun, and Jessica laughing and taking pictures.

 

“You and my unnie.”

 

Donghae finally torn his eyes off of the laughing trio. “Why are we the worst?” he asked her incredulously.

 

Krystal shrugged. “I'm not feeling the spark anymore.” She didn't remember since when their chemistry ceased to exist. Maybe since Donghae had broken Jessica's heart? Or even before that?

 

The spark... Donghae wished he knew what Krystal was implying.

 

Meanwhile, Jessica was marvelled by the gorgeous pictures they had taken. She placed a thumb on her face and left only Sung Ah and Kyuhyun visible. Their identical smiles warmed the outsiders. They are the Healing Couple? The thought made Jessica curious, so she moved her thumb above Sung Ah. In the picture, Jessica laid her chin on Kyuhyun's shoulder, smiling. She appeared small next to him. We look like prince and princess. They did resemble the admired royalties in formal attires. We are the Royal Couple. She giggled despite of herself. What am I thinking?! She astounded. I was thinking like the shippers, that's all. Jessica explained to herself.

 

“What are you doing?” Kyuhyun asked her the meaning of her thumb.

 

Jessica was flushed. She almost threw the phone back to Kyuhyun. “The screen was dirty. You should get a new phone,” she blabbered.

 

“Sure. I will spend fifty thousand won for a not-dirty phone,” mocked Kyuhyun.

 

Jessica didn't bother with a petty rebuttal. She strode towards her boyfriend sitting in a corner instead. He seemed distracted.

 

Jessica refrained herself from wrapping her arms around him for there were staff in the room. “What are you thinking all by yourself, loner.”

 

Donghae was startled. He gave her a faint smile nonetheless. “I was thinking how my girlfriend is the most beautiful here,” he said sweetly.

 

“Liar,” Jessica reproached. Her grin said otherwise.

 

I am a liar.

 

Donghae shook the irking thought out. “Let's go on a date after.” He would be good to his girlfriend. His best friend. “I miss you, Sica.”

 

Jessica nodded gaily. She discreetly squeezed his hand when no one's looking.

 

There was, however, an on-looker. Krystal noticed everything from the other side of the room.

 

***

 

The chattering wind delivered from the Yalong Bay did not deter the shooting. The mix of his cologne and salt intoxicated Jessica. She felt at home nestling inside Donghae' arms. Her smile was natural in front of the camera. For a second, she did not need to pretend they were having a reunion lasting a lifetime... until she caught his gaze wandering somewhere else...

 

The harmonious bridal picture paralysed Sung Ah. She was transported back in time. It was same as always. She had always been the one on the outside looking in. It had always been Donghae and Jessica. Nothing had ever changed. Nothing will ever change.

 

What am I doing here? Sung Ah asked herself for the first time.

 

What seemed to be a simple city dream became wry the moment she met him, and fell for him. She loathed her vulnerable self as much as she liked her childhood friend.

 

Kyuhyun placed a towel around himself and the shivering Sung Ah.

 

“I'm going back to Mokpo,” she announced to the screeching wind.

 

Kyuhyun froze over. Did he hear her right?!

 

***

 

Lee Donghae will never look at another woman.”

 

Yet, there he was, staring at Sung Ah and Kyuhyun getting cozier.

 

Jessica yelped. His fingernails dug deep into her waist unconsciously. He was hurting her.

 

“Sorry,” he mumbled.

 

“It's okay,” she tried reassuring them both, but her subtle frown was louder than words. She parted her lips again.

 

Donghae touched her crimson lips lightly. Don't ask, Sica. His watery eyes conveyed his feelings. I don't know the answer myself.

 

His graceful bride kept silent.

 

***

 

The photographer understood why they were called the Golden Couple.

 

Jessica was at ease holding hands with Kyuhyun. Their arms spread wide apart against the wind. The weightless long train fluttered behind her. Her old smile crept back.

 

She was free as soon as her burden was out of sight.

 

Her bright smile was contagious. It brought out something heart-warming from Kyuhyun too. They ran into the waves like any regular young people would do on the weekend. The camera captured every uplifting moments.

 

Jessica was too occupied holding up the longer part of her dress. She lost her balance and stumbled backward.

 

Kyuhyun caught her by the waist in the middle of her fall.

 

“I got you,” he winked at her playfully.

 

Jessica straightened herself immediately. “What was that?!” She whacked him out of fluster. “Don't do it again. It's creepy!” Her chest rose and fell faster in exhilaration. The sensation was strange but acquainted...

 

“C'mon, Jessica,” Kyuhyun coaxed. “What happened to earlier? You still need that smile for the photo shoot.”

 

“I’d rather deal with Donghae than someone like you!” Her sulking was too adorable and laughable.

 

It's Donghae again. If only he doesn't rob her happiness all the time... The very thought of him put Kyuhyun's nerves on trial.

 

“Let's do the photo shoot properly. The photographer's glaring at us.”

 

“Really?” Jessica obliviously looked for the angry man. “No, he's not-” The slow peck landed on her cheek surprised her. The same spot where Kyuhyun's lips had been was painted with a rose's colour.

 

“Did you get the picture?” Kyuhyun shouted to the photographer.

 

The man behind the camera gave him an “okay” sign.

 

Jessica was baffled that she'd fallen for his trick again! She pushed him into the water.

 

The stylist and the staff rushed forward instantly. “Yah! Is this how you repay your hero who saved your life?!” Kyuhyun called after the girl now running to the dry land.

 

He was left soaking wet. What am I going to do with her? Kyuhyun chuckled fondly at Jessica still laughing miles from the water.

 

***

 

The churning sea below was magnificent. Donghae had brought Jessica to find fairies on the low cliff.

 

“I'm the King of East Sea!” Donghae stood on the tip of the rock proudly and admired his creation under his mighty feet.

 

Jessica laughed at the dork. “Where are the fairies? I see nothing but rocks.”

 

“Look behind you, Sica.” She looked behind her. “It says 'Fairy Cave'.”

 

“How do you know? They are written in Chinese,” Jessica challenged.

 

“I know Chinese!” Donghae walked up to the cave to study the characters. “Da ... xiao... tian!”

 

“You missed a character.” Jessica smirked at her boyfriend squinting at the wall.

 

“No, I didn't!”

 

“I'm not stupid. There are four words. You only said three.”

 

Donghae's laugh was a shameful one. “Did I tell you about the legend of this cave?”

 

Jessica shook her head. She decided to let Donghae drop the subject.

 

“There was once a cattle that turned into a monster,” Donghae started his tale. “It was a weak boy who defeated it in the end.  It took that cattle a hundred years before it could help him find his strength. Isn't it beautiful?”

 

Jessica gaped at him. “That doesn't sound like the cheesy stories you usually made up.”

 

“You thought I would make up a story like that?! Everything I told you was true!”

 

Jessica didn't believe him, “What's the moral of the story then?”

 

“I can be your cattle, Sica,” Donghae told her seriously.

 

Jessica laughed again, then she stopped. A cattle that gives me strength, huh? “A hundred years is a long time, babo.” She cast her eyes on the sparkling ocean surrounding them. “Where would you be in ten years?”

 

Donghae was taken aback by the earnest question. He had thought about his future, but he seldom spoke of it. “I will become a famous composer. Maybe I'll have a few kids too,” he answered truthfully. “What about you?”

 

Jessica's heart sank. So his future doesn't include me. “I'm not sure anymore,” she replied coolly. She did not meet his eyes for she was afraid her disappointment would show. She liked the pictures of her being a lovely bride.

 

Donghae found some pennies in his pocket. “Let's make a wish.” He passed a penny to her. “The King of East Sea will make your dream comes true.”

 

The couple made their separate wishes with their back to the water, then threw them over the cliff. The faded pennies were swallowed by the dark water, like their true feelings.

 

***

 

The hotel room rattled. The sound of broken glasses and loud voices and crying indicated a heated lover's quarrel.

 

“You can't call me a coward when you're one yourself!” Sung Ah's scream was full of spite. Her face was as red as the wine stain on the wall.

 

“I never called you a coward,” Kyuhyun retorted in a levelled voice.

 

“You're thinking that! You think I'm running away when things are hard!” Was it the alcohol? Sung Ah couldn't prevent her tears from falling.

 

“I'm not!” Kyuhyun was getting frustrated as well. “You're not making sense.”

 

“Can you just leave all of us be? Jessica and Donghae are really together now. Don't love her anymore.”

 

Though Kyuhyun knew the truth, he didn't like hearing it. “Don't tell me what to do,” he said coldly.

 

“I won't. I'm leaving for good.” As Sung Ah left the room without bidding goodbye, she nearly crash into Tiffany at the door.

 

Tiffany?

 

She asked Sung Ah, “Where's everyone?”

 

“Kyuhyun's inside,” she responded before departing hastily.  

 

Tiffany peeked between the crack of the door and saw Kyuhyun staring blankly at the blood-red wall.

 


 

Author's Notes: Guess who's back?  It's me and Tiffany!! :D

And congratz readers.  You just read 7 pages!  (I should congratz myself for writing 7 pages too. T.T)

I always feel bad when I'm not updating fast enough, so I end up writing super long chapter. <.<

My sister said that she'd never thought she'd see the days where Kyuhyun and Sung Ah would be fighting...lol

Anyway, Sanya, Hainan is the "China's Hawaii". (I didn't feel like writing Jeju Island. /shrug/)

It looks beautiful when there aren't many people....

And this is Daxiao Dongtain, aka, "Fairy Cave"

It makes me want to go there too, just like when I was writing about Stockholm..

Don't forget about the Jung's brides either. <33

So gorgeous.<33

These are the dresses I had in mind for Krystal, Jessica, and Sung Ah.

They suit them, right?... This was a dreamy chapter for me... /sigh/

Thank you for being with me still!  I really wish I can update more often.:((

Take care guys! :D

P.S.  You can check out the playlist while waiting or just reading the story. :)


"I was walking again today and coincidentally saw you
You look like you’re doing well as always...
You get into a different person’s car, link arms with [her] as you smile."

- "Still You", Eunhyuk & Donghae.

"I’m such a bad guy.  She’s being so affectionate,
but why do I keep thinking of you?"

- "Only U", VIXX