A Lost Memory

A Lost Memory in Mokpo

 Sung Ah did not unpack her suitcase. What's the point of unpacking if she was leaving anyway?

 

“Ouch!” Jessica stumped upon the suitcase in her room. She whimpered painfully while hopping up and down on one foot. “Sung Ah! Unpack your things!”

 

Sung Ah scrambled on all fours to move her suitcase out of the way. “I'm sorry! But I'm leaving for Mokpo tomorrow.”

 

Jessica frowned. “That quick?” She sat on the floor with Sung Ah. “Do you have to go? I've told you that Donghae and I broke up, didn't I?”

 

She took Jessica's hand into hers. “Thank you for worrying about me.” Her smile was genuine. “I still need a breather regardless.”

 

“You know that you're not the reason we broke up, right?” Jessica was still anxious. “It's okay to like him. No one's stopping you!”

 

“You're free to go after whatever you want too, Sung Ah.”

 

Sung Ah chuckled. “Stop pestering me! You're getting annoying on a Kyuhyun's level.”

 

Jessica was lost for words. She didn't like how Kyuhyun had invaded their conversation all of a sudden. Forget about him for a little bit, Jessica! Her focus right now was her cousin.

 

Jessica turned to Sung Ah again. “I'm sorry for not realizing about your feelings earlier.”

 

Sung Ah laughed, then stopped upon seeing her seriousness. “Don't be sorry. My feeling didn't matter in your relationship. Your feelings were more important.”

 

Still, Jessica had been too self-absorbed when she had been with Donghae. She wasn't a good unnie at all. “Feelings are really bothersome... Look where it got us in - a huge mess.”

 

Sung Ah did not like Jessica's troubled voice. “Did something happened?”

 

Before Jessica could elaborate further, Krystal popped by the door frame. “Did you pack everything yet?”

 

Sung Ah gave her a thumbs-up.

 

“Ha! I don't think so!” Krystal had a maniacal smile plastered on her face. She held a batch of music sheets in front of her.

 

Sung Ah's eyes grew wide. “That's my new song!”

 

“Yup! I'm keeping it hostage. If you aren't coming back, your baby will be mine.” An evil laugh rippled from Krystal's throat.

 

Sung Ah was torn between being mad at her dongsaeng or cry happy tears. “I will come back! Give me the sheets.”

 

“You better! Or you'll miss the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! For real this time.” She winked.

 

Jessica chimed in. “Who knows when will she be back? She loves to show up and leave at random times.”

 

They laughed at the reference from few months ago. It was bizarre to think that Sung Ah could get close to her cousins coming from another world. They came from a world filled with bright light and faraway dreams... Sung Ah have not had the guts to stay away from this world. Not yet.

 

Sung Ah would miss Jessica and Krystal and Kyuhyun.

 

Above all, she would miss Dumbo the most.

 

***

 

This would be the last time in a while that Sung Ah would set foot in the SM building.

 

What was she doing here? Didn't she want to be set free? Then why was she back in her cage?

 

Why was Sung Ah seeking for her captor?

 

Half-an-hour had passed, he was nowhere in sight. She took a break from her search in the staff room, sipping on her steaming coffee. Since when had she switched from drinking sweet mocha to black coffee? The change had occurred inside her during the stay in Seoul intimidated her.

 

Someone burst into the crammed room.

 

Sung Ah finally found him.

 

Or rather, he found her one more time.

 

“You're still here!” Donghae cried between his pants. “I thought you left already.”

 

Sung Ah's pulse picked up speed. Her awareness of what she was about to do next was nerve-wrecking. “I'm leaving for Mokpo tomorrow.”

 

“I'm co-”

 

“Do you want to go with me?”

 

Donghae stared back at her blankly. “I-I...” He broke into a grin. “What did you just say?!”

 

Sung Ah's cheeks reddened. “Nevermind. I guess I'll just leave by myself.”

 

Donghae shortened the distance separating him and Sung Ah. “How dare you steal my line and then go back on your words?”

 

“'Cause I can. You can't stop me from what I want,” She would not back off, “including you, Lee Donghae.”

 

His stomach fluttered under her unwavering gaze. “So you still want me after pushing me away so many times?”

 

Sung Ah gave him a slight nod.

 

Donghae laced his fingers with her hands. “I'm not running away this time either.” He connected his forehead with hers – an act he had thought of doing for the longest time. “I will run away with you though.”

 

The touch from his fingertips was too surreal.

 

It was a dream either Donghae and Sung Ah wished to wake up from.

 

But she had to. For now.

 

Sung Ah inched away. Her fingers escaped from his hands. “Prove to me that you're worth running away with. Until then, keep three feet away from me. Understood?”

 

Donghae's lips formed a pout. “I thought you're done pushing me away!”

 

Sung Ah averted her gaze to somewhere else. She knew his tricks too well and she would not fall for them.

 

“Let me be selfish for once, Dumbo.”

 

Donghae touched her cheek, then it glided onto her hair before grazing her lips. She would not budge under his gentle touch. He sighed.

 

Donghae dropped his hand. There were no reasons for him to tie Sung Ah to him. “Doesn't matter. You'll be mine anyway.” A smug smile split his lips.

 

Sung Ah's smirk was equally challenging. “We'll see.”

 

***

 

“Who are you texting?” Manager oppa Thomas peered at Jessica's phone curiously. She had been giggling to herself during the whole ride from Seoul to Boseoung.

 

Jessica laughed at her text. “I'm texting Kyuhyun.”

 

Thomas raised a questioning eyebrow. “You're going to see him in five minutes. Can't you guys talk in person?”

 

Jessica giggled again.

 

She gave him a wave of uncomfortable goosebumps. “I don't get people in love sometimes.”

 

Jessica shot him a deadly glare. “Who said we're in love? We're good colleagues. That's all.”

 

“I'm your good oppa too! Why don't you text me anymore?”

 

Maybe I should stop. The night at the hotel suddenly intruded her thought, sending her a fresh wave of woe.

 

Ping! Jessica dropped her phone back into her purse, ignoring the text.

 

***

 

The hill was covered with miles of green leaves. Kyuhyun and Jessica were insignificant against nature.

 

The sun was beating his back as he sprinted across the side of the mountain. Jessica crouched amongst the plants, oblivious to the man desperate for her.

 

Kyuhyun smiled at the sight of her. He touched her shoulder to grab her attention.

 

Jessica shielded her eyes as she twirled to look at him. Why is it suddenly so bright?

 

Kyuhyun rolled up his sleeves. “Let me help you.”

 

Jessica redirected her attention back to the plants. “I don't need your help. You helped me enough.”

 

“What's wrong with helping the person I love?” Kyuhyun sounded irritated. How could she cut him off when he had been there for her for so long?

 

The blood rushing to Jessica's ears blocked all the sound. She refused to listen to him.

 

“I love you.”

 

The statement barged into Jessica's silent world. “I-I...” She panicked. “... I forgot my line.”

 

The director called for a break. Jessica collapsed onto the ground. The last filming of “Mission For Two” drained more of her energy than she thought it would.

 

“'I don't love you'.” Kyuhyun was thoroughly amused. “How could you forget that?”

 

“Shut up! The sun was too distracting” she lied. She hadn't forgotten that simple sentence. The words had been stuck in . She became very concentrated at the leaves in front of her. The day would never end, would it?

 

It was not hard to guess what was bothering her. “Look, Jessica. I forgot what happened that night, so if I did something that I shouldn't have, I'm sorry.” Kyuhyun felt the heat creeping up to his face. He, too, scrutinized the green leaves before him.

 

“Yah!” Jessica squished his red cheeks. “What dirty things are you thinking of?! Nothing happened!” She was baffled that while every details of that night haunted her every hours, this jerk forgot everything!

 

Kyuhyun squirmed under her pinch. Her face was only a few inches from him. If he drew closer, their lips would touch...

 

...Kissing? ... Making out? ...

 

... Bed?

 

Kyuhyun frowned. The lost memory resurfaced...

 

... The mattress had sunk having extra weight pressing onto it. Their hands had been exploring each others' curves and indents. Their fervent kiss had not been broken even once. Kyuhyun's hand had climbed onto her shoulder. Instead of pressing her to him, he had pushed her off firmly. Jessica had been untangled from his swollen lips.

 

“We can't do this,” Kyuhyun had said, out of breath. “Not now.” Kyuhyun had straightened himself and Jessica had gotten off of him awkwardly. “You just broke up with Donghae. Are you sure this is what you want?”

 

Jessica had been disoriented. Too many thing had occurred for the past few hours. She couldn't answer him.

 

“I thought so.” Kyuhyun had resigned when he'd met silence.

 

He'd watched Jessica stumbled out of his room.

 

The unopened wine had been Kyuhyun's companion of the night.

 

“Nothing happened that night,” Kyuhyun marvelled to himself. “I shoved you away.”

 

What he had said have no intention to embarrass Jessica, but they were still hurtful.

 

Kyuhyun ruffled his hair in frustration. He could not conceive that he had rejected his dream girl because of some rascal. Calm down, Cho Kyuhyun. You did the right thing... Hadn't he? “It's not that I don't like you, but-”

 

“I get it.” Jessica couldn't listen to him anymore. “I don't want to jump into another relationship so quick either after what happened with Donghae.”

 

Kyuhyun was sick of that name coming from . “I'm better than he is, 'kay?” He hugged her apologetically. She was so small against him. “We'll take this slowly. Take as much time as you need.”

 

Jessica returned his embrace. I'm sorry, Kyuhyun-ah. Let me be selfish for the last time...

 

***

 

Back in SNSD dorm, the only two residents were Krystal and Tiffany. Tiffany had been watching Krystal folding her clothes neatly into her suitcase.

 

Krystal could not tolerate her stare for another second. She snapped, “Do you have that much free time? It's not like I'm going to steal from you.”

 

Tiffany scoffed. The most foul cursing words were on the tip of her tongue. Miraculously, she swallowed them just in time. She reminded herself that she's not looking for a fight today. This would be the last chance she had to make her position clear. She had no time to waste for Krystal was returning to the f(x)' dorm. “Why would you steal anything.” Tiffany forced a smile. “I'm sorry for messing with Jessica's love life, 'kay?”

 

Krystal froze. She didn't remember Tiffany apologizing before. A superior laugh echoed in the spacious room. “Was the defeat too hard on you? That was a good lesson to learn, huh?”

 

“Yah! Jung Soo Jung!” Tiffany's exploded anger startled Krystal out of her skin. “What if you won? You're no better than I! You messed up with other people's businesses too.” She inhaled a calming breath. “You don't want to end up regretting like I do,” she added.

 

Krystal was taken aback by her solemnity. This was too much for her to process. “They don't need my interference anymore. I'm leaving now, happy?”

 

“Don't do it again. They won't be so lucky next time. Why would you risk damaging your unnies' relationships?”

 

It had never strike Krystal that her well intentions would have destroyed her unnies' anything... then she remembered the shredded song. That song which Sung Ah had worked so hard for. The forgotten guilt hit her when she was about to forget.

 

“I get it,” Krystal grumbled. “What about you? Why don't you take care of yourself first? Henry is really annoying. Can you please make him stop playing those depressing sonatas?”

 

Tiffany had nearly erased Henry from her mind. Tiffany planned to cut ties with other people's issues. Should she do the same thing to Henry too? “Do you hate me that much? Now you have to pick on my Henry too?”

 

Your Henry?” Krystal gave the older girl a pointed look.

 

Tiffany dialled his number automatically before she had made the decision.

 

***

 

A car was about to run Kyuhyun over on the way back to his accommodations in Boseong. He tripped backward as the dust gathered around him.

 

Jessica yelled through the window, “What are you doing sitting on the ground? I'll drive us back to the hotel.”

 

“Get off behind the wheel or I'll call the cop,” warned Kyuhyun as he picked himself off the ground. “It's illegal to be dangerous to the society.”

 

“Go walk by yourself then. It takes another half-an-hour walk though.”

 

Kyuhyun gritted his teeth. He hopped on to the passenger's seat. He planned to knock Jessica unconscious before taking over control of the car later.

 

Jessica made a sharp u-turn, opposite to the direction of their hotel.

 

“Where are we going?” Kyuhyun demanded.

 

Jessica was not certain if this was a sound idea. “We're going to Mokpo.”

 


 

Author's notes:  Was that a good idea?  You'll find out soon. (hopefully)

This chapter must be frustrating (like any other ones), but don't worry it won't be torturing for long...

....Cause this fanfic is coming to an end.... :(((

Please support me for the few more chapters coming up!  Don't give up just yet!

On a happier note, go watch Mr. Mr.!! Those gorgeous angels want more views!

Go! Go! Go!

This part killed me. Reminds of the time they covered Sorry Sorry.

Let me die in a hole.

BTW, Kyu's ringtone is Suzy's "I Still Love You", which is also on the playlist here~ What a coincidence~ 

Keep reading, commenting, subscribing, and upvoting!  Let's finish the journey together. <3 

And important(?):  I've finally wrote the part how Sung Ah ended up living with SNSD.  It's just never occurred to me to actually wrote it down....

 


 

“Blast it! I'm not going to sleep on the street tonight. If I die today, there won't be hope in Seoul either,” cursed Sung-Ah under her breath.

 

She was stupid, so she deserved to be scammed by a stranger from the Internet. Was a room with a bed and a bathroom ran by hot water to good to be true? Sung Ah had been thrown out of the apartment penniless.

 

Sung Ah muttered a quick prayer before ringing the doorbell.

 


 

"Because you’re not next to me, everything ends with you.
The more I try to escape, the more my days are controlled by you."

- A Day Without You, Chen & Jonghyun.

"Oh, with trembling steps,
I carefully approach you again
Oh, please come closer
so you can see my love"

- Baby Step, SNSD TTS.