Hunters-In-Disguise

A Lost Memory in Mokpo

Sung Ah watched Donghae and Jessica walking away hand-in-hand. She wondered if her cousin and her childhood friend was an item. It's none of my business anyway, thought Sung Ah. She then wondered if they have anything like ramen in this expensive home.


Inside the sanctuary of Jessica and Sooyoung's bedroom, Jessica threw herself onto her bed facing down. This whole time Jessica's mind was running in circle, What is the relationship between that random girl and Donghae? Jessica knew Donghae since trainee days. Was it six years? Or seven years? Or ten years? She could not remember. It was truly a shock that anyone would be close to Donghae longer than that. A bitter feeling crawled all over Jessica...


....No. It was a warm hand patting Jessica's back.


“Tired?”

Jessica nodded. She did not hear Donghae plopping down on the bed next to her. She could sense his every touch through her flimsy pajama. No matter how lightly his fingertips were. A small smile began spreading on her face. It slowly overshadowed the unpleasant feelings.


Jessica turned sideways so she could see him, “What do you have for me?”


Donghae still looked worried, but he took out something from his pant pocket like she had asked.


“Oh! It's so pretty!” Jessica was delighted at the sight of the painted wooden horse figure. “Thank you, oppa!” She got up to hug Donghae but she brought him down with her instead.


Jessica was still in bed giggling. It felt good to have the person you love lying beside you.

Donghae propped himself up on his elbow, “I'm sorry this is the best I could do.”


His guilty expression did not escape her notice. Jessica turned away from him after giving him a subsided pout.


Of course a Stockholm's souvenir from Korea isn't enough! He spun her around again making her facing him, “I promise we'll go to Sweden soon. I know how much you want to go back there. It that we're so busy all the time! Will you wait for me?”


Jessica was taken aback by the seriousness in Donghae's eyes. It warmed her heart knowing that Donghae treated her dream so sacredly, “Of course I'll wait! Who else will go far away with me?” Jessica snuggled up against Donghae's chest with a satisfying smile. Her day seemed to resume to normal. Indeed, it was better than a normal day.


Until the fire alarm broke the magic spell.


 

 

***

 

“There's no hope in Mokpo, Sung Ah. Go to Seoul.”

 

Sung Ah did go to Seoul to find her salvation. She had finally left the place where she called home for more than twenty years all by herself. Instead of finding a cousin who would welcome her with open arms, she found herself under the watch of the most prestigious girls of the country; nine in total.

 

Fortunately, Sung Ah did not cause any more troubles ever since the first night when she had almost burnt the goddesses to crisp. Then she smiled to herself at the thought of her care-free childhood friend Donghae. His childish smile and the gap between his teeth were forever imprinted in her mind.

 

Sung Ah had also begun her semester at Kyung Hee University a week ago. The university has one of the best campuses in South Korea. All the grease and sweat from working part time finally paid off! On top of the the lousy jobs she had taken, she got a scholarship for her hard work and talent.

 

It was a warm day to study music theories at the library and to daydream... until something hit her.

 

“Ouch!” Sung Ah scrambled back to her seat after picking up her pen under the long table. She massaged her throbbing forehead. Who was the jerk who kicking her?!

 

“I'm so sorry,” the culprit first looked at the petite girl whom he hurt, then he smirked, “What were you doing down there anyway?”

 

Hmph. Who's the rude kid? Sung Ah thought. Is he mocking me?

 

He reached his hand out to touch the sore spot, “You have a really nice forehead.”

 

Sung Ah was dumbfounded. Who is this strange guy with a forehead ?! Sung Ah did not expect anything that is weirder than her own infatuation with teeth gaps.

 

She swabbed his hand away and quickly gathered her heavy loads of books. As she walked past the Forehead Guy, some of her binders flew off from her grasp. He was quick on his feet to help her picking up her books, “So you are a music student too?”

 

Sung Ah snapped, “Of course I am! Do you think you're the only who learn music?” She walked away haughtily. Was it unreasonable to be irritated by a total stranger? If “love at first sight” was accepted by the general public, then “pissed at first sight” should be legitimate too.

 

Doesn't she know who I am? He thought. “I'm Cho Kyuhyun!” The Forehead Guy called after Sung Ah, “Nice to meet you!”

 

As soon as the words flew from Kyuhyun's mouth, he regretted them. A group of female freshmen on his right all stared at his direction. One even repeated his words loudly for everyone to hear, “Omo!He is Kyuhyun oppa!” She took out her phone and started to take pictures of Student-Kyu.

 

Sung Ah turned around upon hearing all the commotion, “What's going on...?”

 

Kyuhyun grabbed Sung Ah's hand as the fangirls were encircling them both, like the spectators anticipating a gladiators’ fight.

 

"Run," Kyuhyun whispered into Sung Ah's ear before they would be lost to a bloody duel.

 

***

 

“This is the best hiding spot you know?!” Sung Ah demanded angrily. She had no idea why she was being hunted by a bunch of insane screaming young girls for half-an-hour and then ended up being here.

 

Sung Ah and Kyuhyun were trapped in a men's bathroom.

 

“Hey! At least they can't come in,” said Kyuhyun, panting. This was a moment when he regretted not going to the gym with Donghae or Siwon.

 

Sung Ah was disgusted by the urinals and the dirty floor beneath her. Now I've officially seen worse! Sung Ah was shocked. Back home, his dad's three-week-old unwashed socks were nothing comparing to the horrid environment she was in right now.

 

Sung Ah could still hear screeching girls running past outside, which brought her attention to the Forehead Guy who caused all of her troubles, “Who are you? Why are all those girls chasing after you?”

 

Kyuhyun leaned forward until their faces were only millimeters apart. Sung Ah flinched back and instinctively slapped him away.

 

“Ouch! You don't have to hit me!” Kyuhyun had wanted to let her see his handsome face properly. Hopefully, she would remember that he was a part of the famous band called Super Junior.

 

So she really doesn't know who I am? Kyuhyun was lost for words. Is she really Korean?

 

As Sung Ah had thought that things would be normal after a relatively calm week, she was now stuck in a stinky bathroom with a ert. She was torn between crying like an idiot or laughing like a fool.

 

“I got you Kyu oppa!” said an ecstatic girl bursting into the washroom with a camera in her hand. She looked at the urinals as if suddenly realizing where she was, “You can do your business first, oppa. I can wait for you here.” Then she winked at Kyuhyun flirtatiously.

 

The tips of Kyuhyun's ears started to turn pink. Sung Ah looked from the embarrassed Kyuhyun to the patient girl, she could not hold in her laughter anymore.

 

“Please leave us alone,” Kyuhyun gently pushed the girl out of the door. “Be a good girl and study, okay? When you got a stable job one day, you can go to all the concerts you want. Don't waste your time chasing after me.”

 

Kyuhyun shut the door behind him and sighed. The students at the school were already used to his presence. Some treated him as equal.  Some were even intimidated by his celebrity status.  It was only the freshmens who were a little bit... difficult. He looked at Sung Ah, who was now bending over with uncontrollable laughter, and he too could not help but chuckled.

 

“Th-That girl! Ha!” Sung Ah's stomach started to hurt after five minutes of reminiscing, “I think she would actually watch you pee!”

 

“I wouldn't put it past her! Some fa-,” Kyuhyun stopped himself in time. He glanced at the flushing girl and decided not to give his identity away just yet.

 

It felt good to be anonymous for once.

 

“Are you new? You can call me Kyuhyun sunbae-nim. How should I call my hoobae?”

 

“Just call me Sung Ah.”

 

“Sung Ah... what a cute name,” Kyuhyun smiled. “Come on Sung Ah-ssi. This is not a nice place to hang out.” He pointed around them which made Sung Ah giggled even more. “Your sunbae will be your tour guide around Kwang Hee.”

 

 


 

Author's note: What's Jessica's going to do about Sung Ah now?  Let's tune in to our inner Detective Sica. 

I'm actually Team Jessica... I feel really bad for not rooting for my OC... >.<  

I hope you guys like Sung Ah nevertheless :) What do you guys think of her so far?   She's totally growing on me though. 

I want to thank my first subscriber here. <3 It's nice to know that someone other than my sister is expecting my story.  It keeps me going. :)  Therefore I've decided to make the chapters longer so I won't leave you guys hanging too much!

And did I tell you that my friend actually went to the guy's bathroom once and took pictures..? >.<

....I swear I had nothing to do with that...

...I only watched out for any guys coming in...

...It was way back then I swear!

Anyway, the washroom we were at wasn't that bad..:)

Til next time guys. 

P.S. Having Kyuhyun in the story totally makes matters more... complicated...;)