Mission for Two

A Lost Memory in Mokpo

Kyuhyun beat Donghae to it. It seemed like Kyuhyun beat Donghae in everything lately.

 

Kyuhyun pulled out a chair for Sung Ah before Donghae could. She gave Kyuhyun a weird look but sat down stiffly regardless. Why is this skirt so short? Sung Ah tried to adjust her charcoal pencil skirt unnoticed.

 

Kyuhyun took a seat on the left side of the square table from Sung Ah. Donghae sat across from her sulkily. He grabbed the menu even though his appetite was gone.

 

“Stop staring at me,” Sung Ah ordered Kyuhyun pointedly while covering her cleavage with her menu.

 

Kyuhyun shook his head disapprovingly. “What happened to the peach dress I chose? Blouse and skirt are so boring.”

 

Sung Ah seized her table knife reflexively causing Kyuhyun to flinch away.

 

“Ignore him,” Donghae said tenderly. “You look beautiful.”

 

Sung Ah looked at Donghae for the first time and caught his warm smile. “Thanks,” murmured the embarrassed girl.

 

Kyuhyun glanced from the happy Donghae to the blushing Sung Ah. He didn't like where this was going. “Sung Ah, where's your table manner? Put down that knife.” Then he quietly added, “You do look nice today.” Sung Ah ignored him and went back to her menu.

 

The meal was hushed. Donghae paid more attention to Sung Ah than to his food. On the other hand, Sung Ah didn't dare to look up from her pasta. Kyuhyun was the spectator in the middle. He was troubled by what he's observing. Donghae needed to be stopped from advancing onto Sung Ah. He needed to be brought back to reality.

 

Kyuhyun cleared his throat. “What exactly is your surprise for Jessica?” he asked Donghae.

 

“I'm coming to Busan with you,” Donghae answered, who still had his eyes on the girl opposite from him.

 

After Jessica was mentioned, the scene became more awkward. Sung Ah started gulping down the food so she could escape faster. She choked on a shrimp and coughed violently.

 

Kyuhyun patted her back. “Slow down. No one's fighting for your food.” He intercepted the glass of water Donghae was giving her. “Drink some water.” Kyuhyun put the glass to her lips while still her back. Donghae was incensed. He should be the one easing her pain, not some other man!

 

“I need to go to the bathroom,” Sung Ah excused herself after she could breathe normally. She quickly slipped away from Kyuhyun's touch.

 

After Sung Ah was out of sight, Donghae couldn't contain his frustration anymore. “Are you serious about Sung Ah or are you just playing with her?!” he demanded hotly.

 

“Why do you care?” Kyuhyun challenged. “Who do you think you are?”

 

Donghae scoffed, “I'm her friend who knows her longer than anyone else.”

 

Kyuhyun smirked. “Oh, yeah? When was the last time she talks to you? Hadn't she been avoiding you lately?”

 

Donghae was silenced by his cut-throat statement. He was right. Sung Ah didn't want him in her life anymore. Why should he care about who she dates? Still, Donghae's eyes were burning with hatred.

 

“You have a girlfriend,” Kyuhyun said in a softer tone. “Please don't hurt Jessica again. She's weaker than she looks.”

 

“I know what I'm doing.” Donghae swallowed his wine tastelessly. The drink couldn't wash out his guilt at all.

 

Kyuhyun frowned at the conflicted Donghae. Didn't he make his choice?

 

Both men looked up as Sung Ah as she returned to the table. Kyuhyun saw her squirming in the face of the tension.

 

“Sung Ah, happy Valentine's Day!” Kyuhyun said while suddenly holding a pink giant gift bag.

 

Sung Ah was surprised. When was the last time she had received a gift on Valentine's? It was from Kyuhyun out of all people too! A big grin plastered on her face as she pulled out a huge Rilakkuma plush bear. “It's so cute! Thank you, Kyuhyun oppa,” Sung Ah exclaimed. She hugged the plushy tightly like a small child.

 

Donghae chuckled at the delighted Sung Ah. She was so easily pleased.

 

Then she let go of the bear and asked Kyuhyun, “How much is it?”

 

Aigoo. Don't ruin the moment,” Kyuhyun pouted.

 

“Maybe you should just give me cash next time. I need some food in my fridge.”

 

“Fine, but you have to cook for me too.” Kyuhyun grinned.

 

Donghae ceased laughing as the couple were flirting and neglecting the rest of the world.

 

***

 

Jessica was in an isolated bliss. She had difficulties trying to take a nap on the couch in her trailer. Donghae was always on her mind. His sweet words and cute expressions were never ending. She raised her right wrist in front of her face to have a good look at the charm bracelet Donghae had gifted her. Even though their relationship was secretive, it did not stop her good boyfriend to shower her with affection. If only he could spend the Valentine's Day with her... Jessica's smile slipped a little when their works got between their romance. This was the first time when she felt a slight disdain towards her life as a celebrity.

 

There was a knock on the door. Jessica got up and answered it personally. The director had came with a script in his hands.

 

“Jessica, I've brought you episode seven,” he stated his business without any greetings.

 

“Thank you.” Jessica granted his entry. Why is the director giving me my script himself? She wondered. Where's the PA?

 

“'Mission for Two' is having good ratings so far,” the director reported while flipping through the script on a chair.  “You and Kyuhyun are voted as the 'Best Couple' too by the netizens.” He found his page. “It's time to spice things up,” the older man grinned.

 

Jessica was elated with the fortunate news, until she read scene fourteen.

 

“We're going to kiss already? It's not even half way through the drama,” said Jessica with her eyebrows raised.

 

“You guys are too popular. This serves a good fan service,” said the director matter-of-fact. “and it'll boost our rating to a new height.”

 

Jessica had to do it whether or not she wanted to. It's true that she had a boyfriend now, but it didn't mean that she'd stop being a professional idol and whine about a kissing scene. What would Donghae think about his girlfriend kissing his close friend though? Donghae could be the jealous and possessive type of boyfriend, but he'd understand if she convinced him.

 

“Don't worry, Director-nim,” Jessica assured. “I'll do it.”

 

“Good! I know I can count on you not refusing like a little girl,” the director laughed, “You and Kyuhyun have so much chemistry as if you two are real couple.”

 

His last part of comment caught Jessica off guard. “We are not,” she laughed at the ridiculous idea. “We are just co-workers... or friends.” Kyuhyun was a helpful sunbae, but her heart was taken by someone else. She smiled again at the thought of him.

 

The director took note of her lovely smile. “Are you sure? You act so in love with Kyuhyun recently in all the scenes. You are dating someone. Is he someone from your company?”

 

“No! I'm too busy to date.”

 

“Okay then. Study the script first before Kyuhyun comes. No pressure, but I expect a lot of spark from you guys.” The doubtful director left the love-sick actress to think about her first kiss.

 

After the director had disappeared, Jessica soon fell asleep from reading her script. She faintly heard someone opening and closing the door half way through her dream.

 

“Is Kyuhyun here yet?” Jessica asked the intruder sleepily.

 

“You're waiting for Kyuhyun, but not me?” The familiar voice woke Jessica up right away. She sat up and saw Donghae crossing his arms. “No. You're not dreaming,”Donghae answered her question before she asked. “Surprise!”

 

Jessica went over and hugged him. “I thought I wouldn't see you today!”

 

“I'm not going to miss our first Valentine's.” Donghae returned her embrace. “Kyuhyun is here already.” He released her and took her hands. “Sounds like you want to see him badly,”Donghae said teasingly.

 

“Yep,” Jessica retaliated. “'cause I can't wait to kiss him.” She wanted to take back her words as soon as they had left her mouths, but she's too late. “I-I didn't mean it that way. I meant we're going to have a kissing scene today,” Jessica explained hurriedly.

 

Donghae didn't say anything at first, then he broke into a wide smile. “Is that so? I'm glad I'm here for your first on-screen kiss.”

 

Jessica's heart sank. This wasn't the reaction she'd expected from the envious Donghae. “You're not jealous at all?”

 

“I trust you and Kyuhyun.” Donghae squeezed her hands. “I've known you guys for years, so why would I be jealous?”

 

That's beside the point. Jessica thought stubbornly. You should be jealous when another guy is going to kiss your girlfriend!

 

Donghae stared at the frowning Jessica. He didn't know what he had done wrong.

 

Another knock on the door prevented Donghae to find out the meaning behind her frown. The PA poked her head inside the trailer. “Sorry to interrupt,” she smiled knowingly. “The director asked for Donghae-ssi.” Then she was gone without answering any questions.


 

Author's Notes:  What does the curious director want now?  o.O

I hope you guys like this tensed chapter.  I feel like at this point the story is like an asian drama went wrong.  Some of you might know what I mean. /sigh/

Kyuhyun and Donghae finally face each other like love rivals.  Kyu doesn't play nice anymore. ;)

And then there's the kiss... 

Let's hope for a fairy-tale-like happy ending for everyone. <3

Thanks for the all the kind comments and the new subscribes.  They make my day. :)  

Until next time. :)

P.S. I've made a playlist for the story.  It looks like this on the front page:

Playlist

What If - Super Junior

Someday - Super Junior

I Still Love You - Suzy (Miss A)

My Love My Kiss My Heart - Super Junior

1-4-3 (acoustic vers.) - Henry 

They are ever expanding and the songs are good for setting the mood.