A Shadow's Love Story

A Lost Memory in Mokpo

Donghae tapped his foot along with the rhythm. The pulses of the guitar beat with his heart. Anyone would fall in love listening to it.

 

“I love this!” Donghae complimented sincerely. “It’s a bittersweet taste of first love.”

 

Sung Ah blushed. How did he know the meaning of her song without any words? “You’re so smart when it comes to music, Dumbo.” She laughed.

 

“Remember that skinny kid in our class you used to like?” Donghae was transported back to the memory lane. “I bought you ice cream after he rejected you.” He extended his hand. “You still owe me money.”

 

Sung Ah slapped his hand away. “I didn’t ask you to pay for the boarding when you ran away from home.”

 

Donghae looked shocked. “I don’t remember running away.”

 

“You were hugging your report card like this.” Sung Ah scrunched up her nose and imitated the young boy. “You wouldn’t get out under my bed!”

 

Donghae chuckled. “Oh, yeah? Have you seen yourself sleeping?” He took out his phone and flipped through his pictures. He held up a picture of Sung Ah slumping at the backseat with wide open. “I didn’t know you drool.”

 

“Delete it!” Sung Ah tried to reach for the phone high up in the air.

 

Donghae dodged and got away from the frantic girl. Finally, she pushed him into a corner. Her mind froze as his breath caught her hair.

 

Was it her heart pounding or was that his?

 

Before she could get away from his stirring eyes, Donghae had already folded her in his arms. His usual scent was overwhelming.

 

He trapped her.

 

“I miss you, Puffy.” He murmured above her reddening ear. “Things would be so different if I’d never left Mokpo.”

 

His words could have multiple meanings, but they all felt wrong to Sung Ah. They should not be in this position either, so she moved away from him. She tried to decrypt him through his eyes, but failed to find his motive.

 

Donghae sighed. He really needed his sanity.

 

“I need to go to my schedule now.” Donghae was no longer supported by the wall. “Don’t worry about your song. I’m sure Krystal will like it.”

 

Sung Ah nodded. “Jessica is staying at the dorm today. You should go see her,” she relayed the information without meeting his gaze.

 

“I will. If that’s what you want.”  Before Donghae left the practice room, he added, "I'll deal with Jessica myself.  You helped a lot already."

 

Sung Ah was deserted again with a lone guitar being her companion.

 

***

 

Everything was set up neatly. The music sheets were resting on its rightful stand. Sung Ah's guitar was in the right tune. Her audience was also complete. There were Krystal, Victoria, and their producer. The countless hours spent perfecting her song came to an end at last. She was anxious to perform in her best ability. She needed to justify her story.

 

Their story was the only thing they would ever have.

 

“We are ready. You can start now,” said Krystal impatiently. Her seriousness made Sung Ah extra nervous.

 

Her quivering hand grazed the strings. A rough sound was produced. It echoed loudly in the studio.

 

Krystal sharply lifted her right hand. “Stop! Aren't you prepared?”

 

“I'm sorry,” Sung Ah apologized timidly.

 

Victoria nodded her head encouragingly. Sung Ah commenced for the second time,

 

It's you who I miss.

My spirit has gone with you.

Can you talk to the shadow behind you?

I suppose you can't...”

 

Krystal and the producer were whispering the entire time. The act was both distracting and unsettling.

 

“You can stop now,” Krystal ordered in the middle of the presentation. “Give me the sheets.”

 

Sung Ah was stunned. Her song was murdered at its peak.

 

“This is too bland. The transitions between the verses and the chorus are awkward.” Krystal carelessly leafed through the papers. “It won't even make it to the repackage album. In fact, this garbage will go nowhere.”

 

Sung Ah was ashamed and humiliated and incensed. She's right! My work is like an amateur's! But I am an amateur. Is she being too harsh?! Well, this is how the industry function. Lee Soo Man would have probably threw my work out already! Donghae is a liar! He said my song is good for a studio version... Her thoughts couldn't come into a conclusion. There was no way for her to respond.

 

Sung Ah could only watch Krystal feeding her genuine efforts to the shredding machine. Her soul was torn apart along with the slivered papers.

 

“Maybe you shouldn't be here, like your song.” Krystal smirked menacingly. “Go back to your world, unnie.”

 

***

 

The restroom sink could not support Sung Ah. When she realized what had happened at last, she was infuriated. It's true that Krystal Jung was a professional idol, but that didn’t grant her the right to stomp over someone else’s hard work disrespectfully. She did not even bother to give her any constructive criticism. Sung Ah did not leave her home miles behind to have her ambition crushed.

 

Tears began to build. Her cousin’s sudden change of attitude didn't make sense at all! She needed to seek Krystal. A tear escaped as she crashed into someone on the way out.

 

“I’m so sorry!” It was Jessica. Then she frowned at her cousin crying. “What’s wrong?”

 

Her resemblance to Krystal triggered a sob. Sung Ah discharged her crying freely now.

 

Jessica went and hugged her tight. She patted her back quietly.

 

Her comfort calmed Sung Ah a little. “Krystal… I don’t understand her.”

 

Krystal made her cry? Jessica was alarmed.The late-night talk she had with her sister resurfaced. Is this how you “take care of everything”?! She was disturbed.

 

“I’m really sorry, Sung Ah. I didn’t know that I’d cause all of this.”

 

Sung Ah sniffed. What did her own failure have to do with Jessica?

 

“Krystal can be unpredictable sometimes,” Jessica consoled, “but she’s caring. She’s just worry about me too much.” She smiled at Sung Ah cordially. “You’re part of the Jung’s too. She will care for you eventually.”

 

Jessica’s acceptance immediately erased Krystal’s rejection. Sung Ah nodded her head vigorously. A relieved laugh escaped her.

 

Jessica laughed with her too, but her tear-stained face was already engrained in her mind.

 

Maybe my love is too burdensome, thought Jessica as she guided her cousin out of the restroom.

 

They were leaving the misery behind and entering a new one.

 

***

 

Why is it so dark in here? Henry flipped the light switch on and jumped. He was scared by the sight of a blanket statue on the couch... Or more accurately, a shape of a person under the blanket.

 

He strode over to the hyung. “Are you watching ?” He pulled the blanket away eagerly. He was disappointed to see Kyuhyun and Jessica kissing in the video.

 

Kyuhyun slammed his laptop shut. “Why didn't you knock?!”

 

“Why should I? You guys gave me the key a long time ago.” Henry scrutinized Kyuhyun's flustered expression. “Your face is red.”

 

“It was too hot in the blanket.” Kyuhyun started fanning himself.

 

Henry looked at the sealed laptop again. “You can watch that normally you know...” Then he smiled knowingly, “... ah... gotcha.”

 

Kyuhyun threw a cushion at him. “You dirty little... It's not what you think.”

 

Henry sat down beside him. “I wasn't thinking dirty! I'm just thinking that maybe... maybe... you are crushing on Jessica...?” Henry laughed at Kyuhyun's burning face. “So I'm right!”

 

“Keep your mouth shut, Henry.” Kyuhyun glared at him perilously.

 

The chilling look made Henry squirm. “Okay. I'm not telling everyone that you broke the Pact. Donghae will be so pissed if he finds out. You're not serious about Jessica though, right?”

 

Kyuhyun shook his head sadly.

 

Henry thought about the love triangle. “They broke up already! You still have a chance.”

 

“Yeah. I only have one tiny problem: they are still kind of in love with each other.”

 

Henry was not convinced. “Donghae and Sung Ah are really close too. Are you sure he likes Jessica?”

 

Kyuhyun nearly forgot about them. The unjust treatment Sung Ah received made his blood boil. “I should have left Donghae and Jessica alone right from the beginning! You and Tiffany should stop involving too.”

 

Henry sank in his seat. “! I forgot about Tiff. Just forget all the things I've told you.”

 

Aish.” Kyuhyun hit Henry in the head. “Whose side are you on?”

 

“I'm on the good side.” Henry put his arm around Kyuhyun. “Don't stress out too much about it. Let nature takes its coarse. You can't stop anything from happening anyway.”

 

Kyuhyun envied Henry sometimes. He solved problems in the simplest way.

 

Maybe this puzzle was not as complicated as it seemed.

 

***

 

Jessica found Krystal in their room poring over a magazine. She was glowing delightfully upon seeing her older sister. “Have you heard of the photo shoot from Thomas oppa yet?” asked Krystal giddily.

 

Jessica could not care for any photo shoot right now. “What did you do to Sung Ah?!”

 

Krystal scowled. “I was just teaching her a life lesson.”

 

“She's older than you! Who are you to give her a lesson about anything?!”

 

Krystal was baffled. Why was she scolding her when Sung Ah was the one ruining everything? “Why are you yelling at me? It's her fault going between you and Donghaeoppa!”

 

Jessica shook her head, disappointed. “Haven't I told you? Me and Donghae are the problem.” Her tone turned into lead. “He doesn't know me as well as I thought he would.”

 

Her sister's apparent distress spoke great volume. When Krystal had witnessed Donghae hugging Sung Ah the other day, she had gotten angrier. However, now she recalled it was Donghae who took the initiative.

 

Was Donghae the real cause to Jessica's troubles?

 

“I'm sorry, unnie.” Krystal's apology was nearly inaudible.

 

“You should say that to Sung Ah.”

 

“I will, unnie. I was pretty harsh.” Krystal lied down on her bed.  She should take the chance to get rid of the bad feeling inside of her all day. “You should have told me everything right away! Don't make me worry again.”

 

Jessica smiled at her affectionate but troublesome dongsaeng. “I will try, but we're too busy all the time. It's difficult to talk properly.” She sprawled herself next to Krystal and saw the magazine in her hands. “Why are you looking at wedding dresses?” Her hand touched Krystal's tummy automatically.

 

“I'm not getting married! I was trying to tell you about the wedding service's endorsement.” Krystal's eyes shone. “I can't wait to try out all these dresses!”

 

Jessica already had her perfect wedding dress in mind. She was not less excited about it than Krystal. “You're doing it too?”

 

“Yeah. Donghae oppa and brother-in-law are going to do it too.”

 

Brother-in-law? Jessica grew uneasy. “You mean Kyuhyun and Donghae?”

 

“I can't wait to spend a few days with you. We finally get to hang out!” Krystal smiled mischievously. “We can analyze the guys too.”

 

Jessica grunted. Though Donghae had been the ideal man for her, the picture of him in a tuxedo shattered her dream.

 


 

Author's notes: Finally after hours of writing the new chapter is up! T,T

I'm sorry if the family drama bores any of you, but I feel like they are kind of necessary. 

Don't worry guys.  As you can tell, the story is going to really focus on the romance now.

Omg.  My mom just came back from Vietnam after 3 months!! I should go greet her. 

She got me a zebra onesie and my sis got a giraffe one.

Anyway, I'm surprised that you guys are still reading this.  I mean back in the day I only had one reader and that's myself.. I can't stress enough how thankful I am. <3

Please keep watching out for all of us. <3

And call me Author Zebra.


"Once that girl.

That girl who needed my hug spoiled me.

[She] gave me freedom.

[She] became my dependence...

...That girl was pushed away by me silently."

- "That Girl", Han Geng.