A Step Behind You

A Lost Memory in Mokpo

Donghae clasped the bracelet  around Jessica’s wrist.  His expression was unlike the one from years ago.  When he had first gave it to her, his face was spilled with pride and adoration.  “Congratulation on your first win, my talented Sica.”  It was another memory with Donghae she would always treasure, whether she liked it or not.

 

“So you threw everything out,” Donghae commented.  He understood why she might want to erase him for the time being, though it still hurt.  He was reluctant to think that Jessica would wipe him out completely.

 

Jessica grimaced.  “I’d throw everything out, except for this bracelet.”  

 

If he was allowed to find the lost bracelet, it was possible that they could find their faith in each other again, right? “Are you still mad at me?”

  

Jessica’s face remained impassive.  “Why should I?  I can’t make you love me.”  The cynical truth pained Donghae too.  “Why did you date  me in the first place?!”  Her voice was now trembling.  She deserved to know as much.

    

Jessica had asked his most-feared question.  The day of honesty rounded the corner and it’s payback time. Donghae didn’t want to run any farther.  “I thought that rejecting you would hurt you…”  ...I thought I loved you… “...I’m sorry, Sica.”

    

The strike swinging  from Jessica’s arm was vicious.  Donghae’s cheek turned stinging red.

    

“Don't you ever do what’s ‘good for me’ again!”  Her hand was throbbing too from hitting hm.  “You almost ruined our thirteen years!” Whatever she said quavered.

   

Almost?

    

Hope crept into Donghae for the second time.  “Did you just forgive me?” he asked, though he knew it was naive for him to wish.

    

Jessica might regret it afterwards, but it felt right at the moment.  Hadn’t they always made up through up’s and down’s?  “It’s good that you found the bracelet.  I’ll try not to lose it.”  Then she was out of reach once more.

    

It was not until a few paces away when Jessica heard the triumphant cheering behind her.

 

***

 

Kyuhyun was gone, leaving Mokpo after him without a trace.

 

***

Sung Ah seized the opportunity to search for her treasured tin box.  She needed to shut Kyuhyun’s mouth once and for all.  How dared he laugh when she told him that she’d won a medal in a piano recital?  She had to find her prove before everyone returned to her house.

 

“What’s all this mess?” asked Jung Appa as he stumbled upon the war zone.  “I’m already done cleaning.”

    

“What do you mean by ‘done’?”  It was in her blood to tease the old man.  “This is still the same filthy house I’ve left last year!”

    

Her dad raised his arm to mimic a swinging motion.  “Yah!  You brat!  Everything about you have changed, except for that attitude!”

    

Sung Ah moved away from his strike.  “Why would I change my attitude if I’m still the same?”

    

Jung Appa plopped down on the floor.  “The old you wouldn’t bring Donghae home,” he persisted.  “You hated him.  You never talked to him anymore or watched him on TV.”

    

Sung Ah pretended to arrange the stack of books in front of her.  Her eyes wouldn’t meet his.  “I was too busy.  I wouldn’t bring him home if I hate him.  You know how I always lose touch with people after they moved.  He’s the same case too.”

    

Jung Appa seemed to be convinced.  However, Sung Ah had doubts with her own words…  What had happened for the past thirteen years?

    

“What are you looking for?”

    

“Have you seen a square cookie box?”  

    

He scratched his armpit, then he was deep in thought.  “Ah!  The one you put all the old stuff in.  You put it in my closet with my bank book.”  He chuckled.  The father was amused that his ancient closet was the most secured place for his little girl.

    

Sung Ah scrambled towards his room across the hall.  She unearthed her priceless box from its dungeon.  The first thing she saw when she lifted the lid was a crayon drawing.  A small elephant with massive ears occupied the center of the page.  A little girl was riding it.  “Dumbo.”  She remembered drawing it after they’d watched the movie.  They had laughed at the poor elephant’s clumsiness.  She’d recalled the small boy jumping off the top of the bunk bed because he wanted to show her some marvelous trick.  The nickname had been stuck with Donghae from then on, after he’d cracked his head.

    

Beneath the endeared drawing was the medal she’d been looking for.  Now she could show it off to Donghae too.  

Then her eyes fell upon an envelope.  A letter.

    

Sung Ah did not remember putting a letter in her box.  Whose this from?  Her hands shook with anticipation.  “Dear Puffy,” the letter began.  Did her memory lie to her?  She did not remember hearing anything from Donghae after he’d left!.  Tears pricked her eyes as she kept reading, “Trainee’s life is so difficult, but I’m having so much fun!  I asked the boss when can I go home for a visit, but the rules are strict.  I’m sorry, Puffy-ah.

    

“When can I see you again?  I’m such an idiot.  Did you think that I’m weird not telling you my plan earlier?  I wanted to tell you so much more…”

  

Sung Ah couldn’t read on.  Her distressing sobs echoed within the four walls.  She would shake her fourteen-year-old self.  She would ask her why she’d turned a blind eye to Donghae’s sincere heart, even though she knew the answer deep down.

    

Donghae had not only been districts away from her.  He had been worlds away from her.  He was a well-known, adored superstar and she was the plain Jung Sung Ah.  Her younger self had foreseen the future or she had been too insecured.

    

“I love you, Puffy.”

 

The letter had not been responded, like his love.

 

 

***

 

They met each other after many years.  They were back to where they had their lives altered.

    

Donghae’s profile was casted with a melancholy smile.  His bittersweet smile matched with Sung Ah’s.

  

She sat beside him quietly.  She would not cry or make a fuss over the unbearable discovery.

    

Donghae’s smile had turned more cheerful as soon as he saw her, until she gave him the letter.

    

Donghae would not forget the shape of that letter in his lifetime.  It was the letter that steered his life into a new direction.

 

He’d wished that letter had been lost.  Anything was better than her rejection, but in his heart, it had bled.  No more letters had been sent while they were apart..  “You actually have it.”

    

“I just found it,” that was all Sung Ah would say.  “I’ve found this too.”  She handed him another letter.  “To Dumbo,” they were neatly printed.

    

Everything around Donghae was out of focus.  Was this the letter he had been waiting for?  For a blinding second, he imagined ripping the letter into million pieces.  He would declare that she would be his no matter the cost.  A piece of paper would not cut her from him.  

 

He took a deep breath.  

 

Donghae could not do that to Sung Ah too.  Not Again.  It was only fair to listen to Sung Ah’s heart.

    

Donghae took the letter and unfolded it without tearing it apart.  He would accept her answer; good or bad. He raised his head to look at her, confused.  This was not the answer he had hoped for.  “Why is it blank?  You still don’t have an answer for me?”

 

“I’ll accept you with pure heart,” she compromised while scanning the water.  “Let’s start all over with a clean slate.”

 

Donghae was first baffled, then he chuckled.  “You didn’t know what to write!”  He was disappointed but also relieved.  

    

Sung Ah was getting flustered.  “Did you expect a love letter then?!”

 

He had pictured a sweeter confession from Sung Ah, or an explanation of the unresponsive letter.

 

“I wasn’t ready back then, but after living in Seoul.  After I’ve met my cousins and you at SM, I think I’m ready to be involved in your world.”  Sung Ah’s eyes begged for his understanding for her words made little sense to her.

 

Donghae did not care too much about what had went wrong.  The most important thing was that she now permitted him to rub his hand against her.  She did not flinch away when he tilted his head towards her.

 

Donghae landed an uncertain peck on her lips, then pulled away.  He became more hesitant when her face fell.

 

He did not think that she would seize his face and forced another kiss on him.  Where their lips met was seamless like two fitting tetris pieces.  The glowing bay and the fishing boats receded into the past.  The lush playing field sprouted around them instead.  Donghae and Sung Ah could hear the whoopings from his team mates below the bleachers.  He was in his sport shorts and she was still in her ponytail.  The kiss tasted like the summer back in 2001.

 

***    

 

The majestic temples of Wat Pho and Wat Phra Kaew had freed Kyuhyun from his shackles.  It could be said that it had been a cleansing journey.  Maybe being apart from Jessica was a good thing.  She needed time to sort out her muddled feelings towards him and Donghae.  Kyuhyun needed time to have some fun by himself.  Everything would eventually work out.

 

A feeling of superiority settled within Kyuhyun as he rode on his elephant.  They waddled their way through the tropical park in Bangkok, Thailand.  The kind animal rocked him gently to sleep, but his eyes stayed opened like a wide-eyed child playing in the amusement park.  He was entertained by the idea of living a life like a diamond bachelor.  He would go to see the Arctic light next week.  He would stalk the king of the jungle in the summer.  Or he would watch the impressive Cirque du Soleil in Québec for the upcoming winter.  He would publish his own travel books like Zhou Mi ge did…  Life had many possibilities and freedom if he was not tied down to one place.

 

 His elephant abruptly came to a halt, jostling Kyuhyun out of his ten-year plan.  .  

 

“Miiss!” his foot guide cried out.  “This is against the traffic law!”

 

Jessica did not flinch.  Her stance was defiant before the hefty animal.  The elephant waved his trunk a little.

 

Kyuhyun laughed when she jumped a few feet back from the heavy post-like legs.

 

Then he stopped himself.  Blood rushed into his ears as he took a good look of his surprise.  He lowered himself into the seat,  hoping that Jessica hadn’t already seen him.  His ten-year plan of staying single was too enticing.

 

Jessica hid her dread really well.  She would not run now because of some elephant towering over her.  “I’ll ride with him,” she demanded.

 

The guide turned to Kyuhyun for his approval.  “I don’t know her!” he shouted from above.  “Let’s keep going!"

 

A friendly smile squeezed out from Jessica.  She had all day to be patient with the guide.  “You know that very popular Korean drama ‘Mission for Two’?  I’m his girlfriend.”

    

The guide shook his head.

    

Jessica sighed exasperatedly.  “I already paid!”

    

“She already paid!” the guide shouted back at Kyuhyun, which he could care less.

    

Jessica threw him a triumphant grin as the man below helped her scaled the side of the beast onto the seat mounted on top.  She gripped on the side of the chair tightly.  Instead of looking down, she concentrated on Kyuhyun’s irritated face.  “I’ve been looking all over for you!  I went to your house, Japan, China, and Europe for the past few days just to find you!  Why did you leave without saying anything?!”

    

Kyuhyun smirked.  “Stop lying.  The only place you’ve been to was SM.  Jung Hoon told you where I am, didn’t he?”

    

Jessica’s cheeks were blazed in anger.  “I was about to fly all over to find you, but Sung Ah knew better not to waste any money on you!”  She turned her back to him.  It didn’t help that the air was also humid, suffocating.

    

Kyuhyun shifted in his seat self-consciously.  He hated anyone who showed their backs to him.  It resembled a shut door.  He tapped her back once.  Twice.  No response.  “How was the talk with him?”

    

She spun around slowly.  “That’s why you weren’t looking for me.”  She had not realize that would hurt him so much, causing him to depart the country, seeking for his solitude.  “I think me and him are on the same term now…” she mulled over her words carefully, “... I’m going to forgive him.”

    

Kyuhyun’s eyes darkened, but they did not betray his emotions.   I have to trust her, the phrase had been persisted in his head.  I have to.

    

Jessica fished out the charm bracelet from her purse.  “This was the first gift I got from Donghae.  I went crazy when I couldn’t find it.”

    

Kyuhyun’s expression was as impassive as ever.  The storm inside him was not shown.

    

“I was disappointed when it was him who brought the bracelet back to me.”  Jessica laughed at her own irony.  “I kind of expected that you would find it.  You were always the bridge between me and Donghae.  I thought you would restore our friendship too.  It’s good that you didn’t though.  I can’t rely on you all the time,” her expression was serene and proud, “so Donghae and I fixed our own problem.”

    

Either Kyuhyun and Jessica said anything afterward for a while.  They watched the mud become the stream as the elephant walked into the water.  

    

Kyuhyun laid his arm around her shoulder to draw her to his side.  The simple gesture felt right to him too.  Wasn’t he always the person to forgive?  If Donghae and Jessica could mend their ripped relationship, the problem between him and Jessica was trivial.  “Do you want to see the Arctic light with me?”

    

The tension in Jessica thawed a bit.  She leaned on Kyuhyun, like she would always do.  “No.  It’s too cold.”

    

“Perfect.  It’s a place made for you.”

    

Jessica pouted.  “You know that I’m not really an Ice Princess!  You should know me by now!”

 

Kyuhyun smiled a crooked smile.  “Should you be grateful that I’m abandoning my future plans for you?"

Jessica threw her head back from laughing too hard.  Her strength was seeping into her.  “You should be thankful that I’m taking you in.”  She kissed him, until the kiss could melt away his intention of living the life of a bachelor.

 

Maybe having Jessica by his side was the best.  At least he wouldn’t be lonely when they were engulfed in the lion’s mouth.

 

***

 

Sung Ah had her guitar tuned.  This would be the song Krystal and her members would like.  Maybe he would like it too.   She cleared and sang,

 

“Our story doesn’t end here.

We’ll lock hands forever after the sequel.

If you’re tired, I’ll jump off your back

until we have energy to walk together…”    

 

Kyuhyun broke into a big grin.  “Thank you, Sung Ah!  I’m really touched.”  He covered his mouth with his fist, pretending to shed tears.

    

Sung Ah seemed delighted that she’d moved him.  “Donghae would probably like it too.”

    

Kyuhyun feigned an act of being hurt.  “You didn’t write it for me?”  His baffled expression was so exaggerated that it made Sung Ah laugh.  “How could you?!  I’m your mentor!  I let you cry on my shoulder.  I give you food when you’re on student loans!  I get nothing in return?”

    

“Aish.  Our ajussi is so annoying!  I’ll write you another song then.”  Sung Ah strummed the same notes on her guitar.  “You’re so annoying… ajussi!  Ajussi, why are you so annoying?  Leave me alone, ajussi!”

  

Kyuhyun boxed her head.  “Yah!  What kind of concept is this?!  I’m going to call Donghae right now to spoil his surprise.”  He whipped out his phone.

    

“You’re so kind… oppa!”  Sung Ah fixed her song immediately with a hint of aegyo.  “Oppa!”  Kyuhyun’s skin crawled.  “I love you, oppa!”

    

“Did you just serenade him?” Donghae had barged into the practice room while Kyuhyun and Sung Ah had been busy bickering.  

    

Sung Ah’s cheeks flushed in embarrassment.  Kyuhyun’s smirk told her that she needed a convincing explanation.  

    

He stole himself away from the fighting couple.  Kyuhyun hummed the mellow tune playing in his head, “I’ll look back and see you standing on the same spot, waving and smiling.  I’ll be running…”

 

***

 

Henry and Tiffany occupied two-ends of the couch.  An uncomfortable silent wedged between them.

  

“Your place is nice,” Tiffany idly commented the dorm Henry and his friends shared.

    

“Yeah…” Henry cleared his throat, trying to fill the rift.  “Are you thirsty?  I have coffee, tea, coke, water, spring water, distill-”

    

“Stop rambling!” Tiffany snapped impatiently.

    

“Sorry,” mumbled Henry.  He retracted back into the couch like a turtle huddling in his shell.

    

A surge of guilt attacked Tiffany upon seeing him withdrawing from her.  She needed to take the first step.

    

Henry felt something warm covering his cold hand.  He looked up to the smiling Tiffany.  

    

“Henli-ah, let’s talk about us.  I’m done with other people’s business.”

  

 “Wh-Why are you…” Henry’s voice trailed off.  Did he imagine Tiffany winking at him just now?  Why are you seducing me out of all people?!  His heart was going to explode.

    

Tiffany yelped at the unexpected pull.  There was his hand resting on her waist like an expert.  He planted an electrifying kiss on her gaping mouth.  It happened too quick that she couldn’t react at first, but under his lead, she responded with flaming desires.  Henry reclined onto the couch to support both of their weighs…

    

Ding.  Dong.

    

They tried to ignore the staccato ringing.  Tiffany got a hold of the hem of his shirt, but the mood was already ruined.  She got up in frustration.

    

Annyeonghaseyo,” greeted a slender girl wearing a snap-back.  “Is Henry here?  I’m his friend Heidi from Toronto.”

    

A friend?  That lie is so uncreative!  Look at how she smiles too!  She totally comes off as CRAZY.  Wait.  Didn’t I have the same inner dialogue before?  Tiffany forced a smile.  This time, she was experienced.  It had taken her more than enough dignity to get used to having Sung Ah around.  Not everyone had… sense… like her.  Tiffany would not take the risk for the second time.  “There’s no Henry here.  Oops.  Wrong house.”

    

“Tiffany, who’s there?” Henry called from within before Tiffany could close the door fully.

    

The strange girl raised a questioning eyebrow.

  

 Tiffany’s smile was slipping.  “That’s my dog barking.”  She turned around and shouted, “SHUT UP, KEN!” which left everyone confused.

    

“Are you sure that wasn’t Henry Lau from Super Junior?” questioned Heidi skeptically.

    

“There’s no celebrity here.  You should go to SM if you want to meet any.”  

  

 “But aren’t you Tiffany from Syo Nyeo Shi-”

  

 “No!  I’m American!”  Tiffany finally lost all her patient.  She slammed the door on her face without listening more of her request.

    

Henry strode towards her and pulled the breathless girl into his arms.  “Who was that?”

    

“Just a sasaeng,” she shrugged the encounter off.

  

Henry didn’t give much thought to the “sasaeng”.  He landed kisses on her neck.  She pushed him away gently.  

“Wait a sec.  I need to take care of something first.”  She shot him an assuring smile.

    

Tiffany grabbed Henry’s phone off the table and called the security.

 


 

Author's notes: This would be the last a/n here!  I think I'll cry now.

Without the comments or the upvotes I think I wouldn't be able finish it! 

I thought I would give up by chapter 5 or I wouldn't be able to write a romantic comedy cause that's really not who I am! T.T So I'm reallly thankful for all of you!

Regarding to the ending and the ships, it had been a constant inner battle for me.  I've started off as a new shipper who had no idea about the popular sj x soshi ships.  Haesica's popularity was beyond my knowledge! >.< Then my friends and tumblr people and my family convinced me to stick with what I wanted to write... so yeah there are your targets.  Please spare me.

Honestly, beause of all the shippers, my plot has been changed and it turned out to be way better than what i had in mind!!  Seriously, what I had written was so blend!  I really really thank everyone! Especially my sister.  My editor! <3 And the fanclub consist of 2 people (me and a Dreamer).  Feel free to upvote if you liked the story.  It would mean a lot to me.

Since this was my fist fanfic, I learned a lot of the things!  Hopefully I can improve my writings in the next one. (you can check it out here.)

It had been a long season with you guys.  Goodbye!

 


 

"Saying I love you with words might not be enough but

Still I will confess to you today.

I wanna be with you, always from a step behind you
Don’t forget there’s a person who will protect you"

- Love Letter, VIXX.


Full Playlist