A Gamble Called Fate

A Lost Memory in Mokpo

“Sit tight, Jessica. It's going to be a long ride.” Tiffany smiled at her mischievously.

 

“What's up, unnie?” Henry greeted from the passenger's seat.

 

“What are you two doing here?!” Jessica yelled. “I'm working!” She couldn't believe that she was kidnapped by her own friends in the middle of the shooting.

 

Tiffany rolled her eyes. “We're here to save your love life, duh.”

 

“What?!” Jessica gaped at her, dumbfounded. What was Tiffany up to now?!

 

“Gosh, so impatient. Henry, can you give them to her?”

 

Henry obeyed and passed two slips of papers to Jessica.

 

No, they were not just any random papers, they were two plane tickets to Stockholm, Sweden.

 

Before Jessica could figure out the situation, she heard Henry talking on the phone, “Donghae hyung, Jessica is at the airport right now! Come and get her.” Then he hung up.

 

Jessica demanded heatedly, “What's going on?!”

 

“Don't be a babo,” Tiffany chided. “Your Fairy Godmother is here to make your dream come true. Once Donghae finds you, you can ask him to elope ... I mean travel to Stockholm with you. You've been dying to go there with him, right? Why Sweden out of all places though? You think being random is romantic or something?”

 

Jessica didn't know what to say. It's true that she and Donghae promised each other that they would visit Stockholm one day. He was the sole person who understood the significance that place held for her. Nevertheless, with so many events that had occurred lately, could he still remember their promise? Her hand clutched around the tickets. Would he drop everything else and come with her when she asks?

 

“You still need to ask for my permission first!” Jessica accused the trouble makers. “What about my schedule?”

 

“It's Seollal. I'm sure you can get a few days off,” Tiffany assured.

 

“That's right! It's the New Year's holiday,” Henry seconded. “You're so smart, Tiff.”

 

“I know right? No need to thank me, Sica.” Tiffany laughed satisfyingly. “By the way, I'm a better bridesmaid than Yuri and Taeng combined.”  She laughed out loud satisfyingly at her flawless scheme.

 

Jessica looked at the tickets in her hands again. Stop looking for excuses! She lectured herself. She recalled telling Kyuhyun she'd “do something about it” moments ago. Jessica Jung, you can't turned back on your words now.

 

Jessica sank deeper into the leather seat. This was all or nothing to her love.

 

***

 

There was only one thing running through Donghae's mind as he breathlessly dashed toward the Incheon Airport's VIP room. He maintained his head low behind the shade of his hat. He wanted to go to Jessica without any attentions being his blockades. He had been acutely agitated ever since Kyuhyun had told him that Jessica was missing. Just what did she think she was doing at an airport all of a sudden, giving up her most prized work habit?!

 

Jessica looked up when the glowing Donghae burst through the door to the exclusive area for the rich and famous. She detected right away that he was not pleased.

 

“Sica,” he came forward and knelt before her. “Why are you running away?” His gentle voice tried to cover up his utmost concern.

 

Jessica sensed the weights of the tickets. This was not the time for her to be guilty or intimidated by the unknown outcome. She took a single deep breath and asked, “I'm not running away from you anymore.” She stared at him unflinchingly. “Are you going to Stockholm with me like you promised?”

 

Donghae was struck by her boldness. Her determination did not go unnoticed. He did not forget their vows either. He was needed for whatever problems Jessica was facing currently. He had always been there for her, hadn't he? He realized that this would be no exception.

 

His hands closed around hers. “I'll go to anywhere you like, princess. Who else would you ask?”

 

“Yes!” Jessica hugged him. “You're the best.”

 

Jessica mutely congratulated herself for the leap of faith. Lee Donghae would be hers in no time.

 

***

 

It was overcast in Old Town, Stockholm. Jessica and Donghae were leaning against one another on one of the metal benches, watching tourists and residents passing by in the town square. They were encircled by rows of coppery buildings left over from the nineteenth century. The enticing aura of coffee bean attacked their senses from the quaint cafes at all corners. Jessica sighed contentedly. The last time she had been free from the limelight was long forgotten. Donghae was also satisfied with the smoked herrings and oysters they had earlier.

 

“I wish I can stay like this forever,”said Jessica. With you, she mentally added.

 

“Me too,” Donghae straightened himself, already restless, “but where are we going next?”

 

Jessica smiled at his eagerness that made him young. “Donghae, thank you for coming here with me.”

 

“Anyone who saw you crying would come with you too,” he teased.

 

“When did I cry?” she stared at him questioningly.

 

Donghae watched the dark unmoving cloud above and pondered, “When you were a trainee, you always cried after practices.” He chuckled at the young Sica lamenting. “You showed me your family photo once. You told me that you're going back to Uppsala Cathedral and I said I'll come with you.” He looked at Jessica pointedly, “Don't you remember?”

 

“I remember. I was just testing you.” Jessica snuggled beside him. “Did I tell you why Stockholm was our first family trip though?”

 

“No. You've never told me.” His ears perked. What else is she hiding from me?

 

Jessica's cheeks turned rosy. “Actually, I don't want to tell you. It's too embarrassing.”

 

Now Donghae was more curious. “Tell me!” He rumple her long brunette hair until it resembled a bird nest.

 

“Stop messing up my hair!” she protested. “Fine! I'll tell you. Stockholm is where my parents met for the first time.”

 

Donghae withdrew his hands. “Is that it? It's not embarrassing. It's actually kind of nice.”

 

“What if I tell you that they played a game of fate?”

 

Donghae detected a fanciful story. He looked at Jessica expectantly.

 

“It sounds romantic but it was really silly. My mom couldn't choose between staying here or going to America with my dad, so they made a bet. They played hide-and-seek here and whoever lost has to listen to the other person.”

 

“I'm guessing your dad won?”

 

“No. He lost, but he begged my mom to go with him.” Jessica chuckled, “She just couldn't resist his aeygo.” Her smile then faded into a faint sorrow. “I miss them.”

 

Donghae collected Jessica in his arms. He gazed skyward. He also longed for the one person in Heaven. “Let's play that game too,” he suggested. Donghae needed something to distract them from the gloominess.

 

Jessica's heart almost leaped out of her chest. Did she hear him right? He wanted to play a game of fate with her? What's he thinking? “Sure,” Jessica replied nonchalantly. “What's the price?”

 

“The loser has to drive to Uppsala tomorrow.” He pouted cutely. “I hate driving.”

 

Jessica grinned. “Deal.”

 

Donghae shut his eyes tightly while Jessica gone off to explore the town alone. A droplet fell from the vault kissed Jessica. Seconds later, millions of beads danced on the uneven cobblestones. The lively girl hopped slightly around in the rain. Her spirit was light and euphoric. Jessica believed that Donghae could find her anywhere in the universe. She believed that they were fated.

 

***

 

Donghae had been searching for Jessica high and low. In the past few hours, he had visited all the alleys, cafes, bistro, and bars. He even looked into the water surrounding the island. However, there were zero sign of Jessica. It was like she had not been in Stockholm is the first place. Where is she?! He tried to push down his growing panic. Donghae dialled her number for the tenth time. All he could do was cursing the message tone.

 

“Jessica Jung!” he started to shout to the crowd. “You've won, Jessica! You can come out now! Jessica!”

 

The hopeless man stood still as the people walked around him. At that moment, he became blind to the passerby and the freezing sheet of rain. Jessica was the only person left in his world. He felt like he had lost her for eternity.

 

The thought of losing Jessica crushed Donghae's life. Without her, he couldn't find someone to comfort his past. Without her, he couldn't find someone to protect. Without her, he couldn't find someone to understand his dreams.

 

Think! Stupid brain, think! Where could she be?

 

***

 

Jessica shivered under her pink umbrella. Where is Donghae? She thought as the wind from the sea hit her once more. Why are we playing hide-and-seek when he has no sense of direction?! She paced up and down by the bay to keep herself warm.

 

Something crashed into her hard, causing her umbrella to falter. “There you are,” Donghae breathed into her ear. He was hugging her from behind.

 

“What took you so long?” Jessica asked breathlessly. “I'm turning into ice sculpture.”

 

Donghae snickered. “Thanks to your other family photo, I've finally found you. Don't ever run away like this.”

 

Jessica didn't understand his sudden concern for her. After all, it was just a game, right? Her heart fluttered having Donghae so close to her. This was a fantasy she had been dreaming of for so long. If only this moment could last longer...

 

“Donghae,” she shifted sideways so he could see her profile, “will you be mine?”

 

Jessica closed her eyes in defeat as Donghae released her from his safe haven.

 


 

Author's Notes: Now what happened to Jessica and Donghae? What's his response?!  o.O As the old saying goes: you just have to find out next chapter. :)

And sorry if I disappoint anyone who expected some action from the kidnapping.  I hope you didn't forget about Tiffany yet.:p 

Back to Old Town, Stockholm, this is where Haesica at before they play the game:

Then Donghae found Sica by the water:

I don't think I did a good job describing the place. These pictures should help. :)

*Just found out that Vixx's "Only You" music video was filmed in Stockholmhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8LCqaYKluQ  It's so beatiful there!! 

Thank you for the comments. :D They are the foods for my motivations. 

P.S. Sorry for the late update!  I was out doing Boxing Week shopping with no money T.T

I got my first SNSD merchendise - IGAB poster for 5 bucks. And SuJu Bonamana album poster. I'm so happy. :D

G'night guys. It's almost 2:30 am here. Need to sleep.