★ When In Love

The Way You Glance

The screen of Samsung Galaxy S4 Active lit off constantly, and the smartphone vibrated through his left pocket. Luhan looked around the quiet class when he carefully shrugged in his hand as he pulled out the phone. He received a Kakao Talk message from Xiumin, saying he was already at the cafeteria D as they have promised to have lunch together. Luhan replied back to Xiumin, saying he'll be 10 minutes late because his professor was still not done briefing about the molecular fusion in his biochemical class. Luhan was putting back the phone inside his pocket when his professor, Kim Jaejoong, called out his name. Luhan looked up, utterly confused.

"What would your answer be?" Jaejoong asked again, patience began to thin out. Luhan stood up almost in a slow motion whilst eyeing the entire class that was glancing back at him curiously. It was not about what my answer would be, professor, Luhan thought, it was about whether you were kind enough to repeat question.

"I think that, urm-," Luhan drawled, one hand clutched onto hips in awkward gesture.

"It's just a matter of yes or no, Luhan." Luhan gasped, lips stretched into a grin.

"Yes..."

Jaejoong smiled at him, then turned to his class as he walked up to them.

"Alright then."

The young professor glanced at his Rolex watch, and turned his back on the students, as he walked down towards his table. "The time is out. That just concluded today's last sub-topic. On our next class, we will be discussing how objects fly in Flights. Make short notes, everyone. Or I can promise you will not pass my pop quiz. Class dismiss."

⊙ω⊙

Xiumin waved his hand when he finally saw Luhan walking in front of the lines of vending machines. Luhan waved back casually, guilty smiles plastered across his handsome face. He took the empty seat next to Xiumin as he slammed down his books and files.

"Jaejoong's physics class?"

"Jaejoong's physics class," Luhan answered expentantly. "I'm really, really sorry though."

 "You should be," Xiumin said back almost seriously. "I put off my lunch because of you. Dude, I almost missed my choco pudding but I survived this cruel world and bought it anyway."

"You cut off lines again, didn't you?"

"No," Xiumin denied, feeling -hurt over Luhan's outright true guess. "I stood for my right and gained my well-deserved victory."

"I don't even know what that means."

"I cut off some lines."

"Some?" Luhan raised his perfectly arched brow at Xiumin, leaving him speechless.

"You know what Luhan, I don't think I appreciate your knowledge of my attitude and I honestly do not appreciate-" Xiumin paused, eyes shifted away from Luhan's face in mere seconds as he gazed over Luhan's shoulder. "I don't know about you but I think you should stop stalking your neighbour."

"My neighbour-"

Luhan turned around slowly as he also looked over his shoulder; eyes scanning around the packed cafeteria. His gaze finally fell upon someone familiar sharing a satisfying laugh with a taller young man dressed all-black. Luhan hated how Chorong still made him feel breathless even when she was at the end of the room, completely unaware of his insignificant presence. Her laugh alone already felt like ecstasy to him, what more her whole self, just standing there, perfect yet dangerous.

"Who is that guy?" Xiumin asked ignorantly as he spooned a small chunk off the pudding.

"I don't know," Luhan snapped, rolling his eyes as he turned to face Xiumin again. "But I do know I don't like him. And why is he standing too close to her? I bet Chorong's suffocating, and she's only only laughing because she feels bad about him laughing alone to his own jokes."

 Xiumin laughed shortly at Luhan's ludicratic judgement. "I think it's a little too early for such immature assumptions. You don't even know how he is related to her. For all we know he could be his brother."

Luhan composed himself together at the brilliant thought that Xiumin just uttered. He then stole a couple of glances at the happy pair before pulling back.

"Do you think I should go say hi? You know what, I probably should say hi," Luhan answered to himself back as he pushed back the chair. Xiumin pulled his friend down, giving him a warning scowl.

"And what will you say after that?" One brow is raised in a cynical manner, and the tone Xiumin used felt like knife in Luhan's ears. "’Hi Chorong. Would you mind get away from him? You two walking like this together pisses the outta me?’"

"Will you not!" Luhan shoved away Xiumin's strong grip that was tugging at his sleeves. "Are you stupid? I'm not gonna say that, okay- no matter how true that is but I will be civilized and greet her like how a normal person would do."

"And that would be?"

"Run into that weird tall guy and spill some coffee on his sneakers or something and, I don't know, pretend to be sorry until I actually realized I just bumped into Chorong's potential relative?"

"Or-" Xiumin then gave him a sly smile. "We can walk out of here and have our lunch at Dubu Dubu instead."

Luhan paused, weighing the sensible idea Xiumin just gave. He shrugged his shoulders before grabbing his bag and books. "Oh what the hell."

Xiumin grinned as he eyed his clumsily-entranced Luhan picking up his stuff. They walked side by side, and Xiumin even pulled Luhan forward when Luhan almost stopped to greet Chorong that was standing only 3 feet away from the exit they were headed.

"Dude," Xiumin gritted his teeth. "Will you lay off her? You've been stalking her every single day and you still can't get enough of her?"

"Dude," Luhan purred, tightening the grip around his books and files; feet dragging themselves in reluctance out of the crowding cafeteria. "I can't help it."

Luhan then surreptitously glanced over his right shoulder to catch the last sight of his unconditionally beautiful crush. "I honestly can't." To be honest, there is no sanity or normalcy or even sensibility when you are love-drunk. Everything that could possibly balance your mental state has flown out of the windows- like, bye-bye for good. You lost track of time when your eyes finally caught the glimpse of that one person. Your knees began to tremble when she looked you in the eyes. Your tongue decided to turn jelly and started mouthing alien words when she asked you the simplest questions.

See, these are the things that make people who not drunk in love go cuckoo when they see you acting like that. But you just cannot explain how it happened and why would you even let yourself appear like someone with an IQ of a chimpanzee in front of someone you like. All you know is that you only wish time to just freeze when you see her. There's not capturing the moment, but that moment was there, and you were also there, with her and you need to live through it, even if she didn't notice you.

And Chorong didn't have to notice him, he just needed to notice her, and her beautiful smile so he could feel glad to have lived that day to be able to see that.

⊙ω⊙

It's the fun nights like these-sweats, loud cheers and coach's yelling that Luhan have been looking forward to all day ever since he last saw Chorong giggling over some lame jokes, perhaps, with a tall guy that has weird vibe emanating from his ugly body.

Okay. Luhan was totally bluffing himself. That guy has gorgeous dark gaze and his smile was very humble but also charming. But he hated that gigantic stranger just the same.

The practice ended at 10.54 p.m. and Luhan was finally feeling exhausted from all the running and dribbling he went through. Xiumin tossed him his Mountain Dew and Luhan gave him a thoughtful nod.

"Thanks," Luhan said briefly.

"Sure," Xiumin nodded back, hair sticking to his face in full drench.

"I'm ing tired."

"Me too," Luhan said. "But I needed this."

"Still can't get over it, huh?"

"Still can't," Luhan said helplessly, pulling his two knees together and and tied them loose inside his two arms. "How do you get over anyway?"

Xiumin studied the handsome face of his friends and gave him a raise on the brow. "I guess you just can't." They both then threw a curious look around the wide, empty field as their teammates began to scatter around to call it a night. The two friends remained behind, wanting to take time to cool down, and just enjoy the cold breeze under the night sky.

 "When will you leave?" Xiumin's voice broke through the loud silence as he turned to his right. "This weekend, right?"

Luhan responded yes in a muffled voice though he did not meet his friend's gaze. Some things just appeared bigger now in his head compared to going back to China.

"What day?"

"Sunday."

"What about school?"

"I'm coming back, dude," Luhan scoffed. "You can't just get rid of me that easily."

"Yeah," Xiumin chuckled, shoulders shook in return. "You bet. What about Chorong? Have you told her?"

Luhan pursed his lips, shoulders shrugged lazily as though he has lost all hopes in love tonight. "I don't know," Luhan finally answered, eyes still gazing onto the twinkling leaves that are wet from the night dew. It seemed as if they were on a carpet of shiny diamonds and the spot lights of the stadium just brought out more of the tiny white sparkles.

"You didn't want to tell her?"

"I don't know. Would it matter to her?"

"I would just tell her if I were you, as a friendly gesture or something."

"It's not like I will be there for years though."

"For exactly how long then? Your grampa is sick, Luhan. I don't think it will be brief."

"Yeah," Luhan shrugged. "Maybe not brief, but it won't take too much time that you people could miss me."

 "Dude," Xiumin purred, body plunged towards Luhan out of affection. "I would totally miss you!"

"Aww," Luhan jeered as he shoved Xiumin lightly. "Get off of me though."

⊙ω⊙

It was night like this one when Luhan thought love was very hopeless. He lay down, staring blankly at the while ceiling above. He just came out of the hot shower and it was 12.29 a.m. when Luhan finally threw himself into empty bed. Luhan was amazed at how crushing on someone could do to a person. The feelings were yet to be confessed, but the symptoms already resembled someone who's in a relationship. It's ridiculous how someone could feel this down when they see their crush were with somebody else. Luhan made a small fist against his shirt as though the ache he felt could be washed away. He closed his eyes, body felt like floating in air as he taught himself how to feel numb. That guy could not be his boyfriend. Chorong would never do that to him.

Then again, why would Chorong even consider his feelings; whom she just met only a month ago?

 Luhan felt like crying, hating himself for being so weak. He never felt so hard like this. The idea of falling in love, after all, could be a bad decision. Maybe he never should have allowed himself to like her.

Luhan then opened his eyes wide, mind and body pulled back into the realm of the situation when he heard someone calling his name. He dismounted the bed, headed towards the main door and turned the handle of the door in a rush. His heart was beating very fast when he saw the beautiful eyes that were holding back his own gaze in a sublte fiery. He hated her for making him weak.

"Chorong?" Luhan managed finally, catching his breath in a organizing manner. The sensation he felt when he saw her eyes was ever more gripping. "What's up?" Luhan also hated how his voice sounded when he spoke to her. It sounded weird, and too firm as if he was talking to a commander.

 "I need your help, Luhan."

 It was only then Luhan realized Chorong was also panting, with cold sweats broken on the smooth forehead. Something was wrong.

"Yeah, sure." Luhan agreed right away. "What is it?"

"It's Hayoung," Chorong said weakly, and Luhan was almost certain Chorong was at the verge of tears. Her broken voice that was holding back soft sobs pierced though his own heart and Luhan knew he would do anything to make the pain go away.

"What’s wrong with her?"

"My sister ran away.”

...

Hi guys :)

I am terribly sorry for the late update, which is why I wanna make it to yah by doing double updates!

Look forward to the continuation on tomorrow’s update ^0^

I have exciting news for your guys. So basically I have plotted out the possible ending for this story and I really look forward to write a complete story. It will be some chapter more until we reach the end. As much I am excited to end this story (my school is re-opening) I also feel very blessed to have have written this story. This story is especially dedicated to ALL EXOPINK shippers :D

I don’t know why I’m already mentioning the future plan like this but I just thought you guys should know.

I’m also excited that my big sis is coming back for a sem break and yeah, I just missed her alot but I never said that directly to her. (prolly cuz she never said that to me too)

Oh and I've never really fell in love, but I can actually relate to Luhan's feelings when he said he would do anything to make the pain Chorong felt go away. I guess when you're hopelessly in love, someone else’s happiness matters more.

Anyhow, I will try my best to make this story as great as possible, but it would not be possible without your support~

Have a nice day peeps!

Subscribe and comment <3