★ Mending the Misunderstanding

The Way You Glance

Chorong turned around in mere seconds as she got away from Luhan. She registered a sound of car door clicking from behind and that made her heart explode inside of her.

"Wait, miss, wait!" Luhan's pace was faster and he quickly cut her off. Chorong shrieked in horror, piercing at Luhan's eardrums.

"Go away! Go away!" Chorong shut her eyes; palms cupped flatly against her ears, and fell on her knees instead. She squatted on the road, hugging her knees tightly, heads dropped in her knees. "Please leave! Please..."

Luhan panicked; this was not what he had in mind and this certainly was not how he wanted her to think of him. Luhan carefully stepped back, taking about 10 steps and just stood still, eyes fixed on the trembling ball.

 After some minutes of intense silence, Chorong gulped down hard as she slowly raised her head. Luhan was still looking at her, but his expression was honest and guilty.

"Leave!" Chorong snapped. "Leave, now!"

"I can help you-"

 "I said leave!"

"No, really. Look, I can help you."

"No! I don't want your help!" Chorong spat the words in disgust. "Not from someone like you anyway!"

Luhan ignored her and carefully walked around her. Chorong flinched and she buried her face in her knees for the second time.

"I said leave!" Despite sounding muffled, Chorong knew Luhan must've heard her.

Luhan leaned over the hot engine. The lights were out and the battery was hot. He knew what was wrong. He ran back to his car and took out some big red and black wire clips. He attached the clip ends at his own car battery once he has opened his hood. He ran back again towards Chorong's car and clipped the ends at the rightful poles.

 "Wait here!" He managed in a low tone. "I'll go try starting up again." Luhan opened the door to Chorong's car. He stopped before getting inside. "May I?"

 Chorong slowly stood up, staring right into his eyes. Luhan however didn't wait for the permission and he positioned himself in the driver seat. Luhan pressed the ignition button but the car made a steady low growl. He released and repressed the button again. But it still didn't work. Luhan got out of the car. He went back to hood.

 "I think the car battery's dead," Luhan said without raising his gaze. "You just need to get it fixed, that's all."

Chorong's voice was still trembling but after she has managed to pluck enough courage to speak, she slowly picked her words.

 "Why?"

Luhan paused slightly when he noticed Chorong was nearing her car door. "Because...the battery died."

"No- I mean, why is the battery dead?"

 "Oh" Luhan almost smiled at his foolishness. I'm not really sure. There are many reasons to it."

"For instance?" Chorong looked fairly concerned. She gave her car roof a soft caress in turn.

"I don't know, like maybe you forgot to turn off these headlights, or it's about time for you to finally replace your battery-"

 "My goodness!" Chorong' eyes went alarmed.

"What is it?" Luhan asked carefully as he raised his gaze to meet hers, and he was glad he couldn't find any hesitance or disbelief in her eyes anymore when they glistened under the dim street lights. He thought her eyes were just as beautiful when he first saw her.

"I remember now. I didn't turn off the lights. I remember someone calling for me but I honestly didn't know that he was actually calling for me. I mean, I don't know anyone here because I just moved in..." Chorong's expression fell in seconds. "But I bet you would know I'm new around here because you told me you knew where I live. Look," Chorong said sternly, hands clutching on her hips. "Either you tell me who you are and how do you know where I live or I will sue you!"

Luhan flustered, and stared directly at her index finger that would probably stab his face any time soon. He blinked for a moment, wondering how he should put the word 'stalk' in a nice and less creepy manner.

"The truth is that, I live in the white house next to yours." He then stifled a short smile.

"Don't lie to me." She looked undisturbed.

"But...I'm not." And I really think you're pretty, and I really would like to get to know you better.

"O-kay, neighbour," Chorong drawled, emphasizing on the word 'neighbour' sarcastically as she scanned Luhan head to waist. "You look kinda normal to be a erted stalker."

"What?"

 "Oh nothing," she urged a stiff smile. "And thanks a lot for all the hard work. Do you, urm, know my name?"

"No." Even if I did know I would still deny, just so I could hear more of your voice.

"My name is Chorong. Park Chorong," Chorong said in a modestly friendly tone when she drew her hands out.

Luhan bit slowly the inside of his bottom lip as he took her cold hands. Is this our first skinship oh dear God if you strike me with a lightening at this moment I would hold nothing against you.

"And you would be...?" Chorong's question hung midair.

 "L-luhan. My name's Lu- han..." Luhan felt so nervous that his palms was beginning to feel sticky. Thankfully Chorong has released her hand free. And he never thought his name was that short.

 "Your name doesn't sound Korean. Is that your real name or you just want to sound casual?"

 "Haha!" Luhan snorted. "No. Actually, I was born in Beijing but was fully raised here, as a Korean."

"Oh! That's interesting."

She thinks I'm interesting oh God!

 Luhan smiled unconsciously. It almost reached his eyes but he held back as much as possible. "And I'm sorry for what happened earlier. I didn't mean to- well, act like a total creepo towards you."

Chorong's face flushed at the memory of the most weird accident she ever got into. "It's okay. We both lost our coffee. That makes us even. And I'm sorry for being rude at you. I was being, y'know, a little defensive. No hard feelings?" Luhan nodded slowly; a generous amount of relief swept through his entire body. At least Chorong didn't view him as a frustrated ert anymore.

Chorong glanced momentarily at her watch. "Luhan," she called almost too friendly that Luhan felt a tight knot twisting at every corner of his belly.

 "Yes?" He said abruptly, eyes wide.

"Were you headed home? Can you give me a ride home? I need to get home now or my parents will probably kill me. I even left my cellphone at home and I couldn't call them to send me help," Chorong explained not too briefly. "Please?"

 "Y-yeah. Sure. Just a minute," Luhan then pushed down the lid of the hood with one hand and held the wires in his other hand. Despite getting car grease all over his hands, Luhan was still thankful that her car broke down tonight.

...

 

 

I hope this update is good enough hehe *^^*

I hurt my left foot this morning because I've had some cockroach mishap in the bathroom.

And now I hate cockroaches more than awkward situations.

Okay that was random. But seriously, who can actually survive awkward situations? ;)

Comment and subsribe! xoxo