★ Contemplation

The Way You Glance

All that Luhan knows about his dad, Junhao , is that he never thinks twice about the decision he came up with. But what Luhan needed him to do now, to just sit back and rethink about what he just said.

“I don’t understand, dad,” Luhan blurted out. “Are you saying we should, like, move back to China? Like, now?”

“Yeah,” Junhao nodded. “I think it’s the right thing to do now, with grampa lying down like that. I think I need to set back my priorities, and put first what really matters.”

Luhan scoffed, flabbergasted by the simple reason his dad believed in about the decision he made. “How can you be so sure?”

“You-” Junhao craned his head slightly. He simply found it bizarre how reluctant Luhan reacted to this. “Don’t you like the idea of going back home?”

“I-” Luhan squinted, gaze devouring wildly at Junhao’s twisted face. “No. It’s not that. It’s nothing like that, trust me,” he managed breathlessly. “I just thought, that, maybe you should’ve discussed it with me first, and mom, of course.”

“I did discuss this with your mom, and our other family. They all seem welcoming,” Junhao said as-matter-of-factly. “They all do, but you.”

“Dad, wait a second,okay,”  Luhan held out his hands as if he was defending himself from being provoked into a physical fight. “I need a timeout. What are you saying, exactly?”

“Luhan,” Junhao began carefully as he fixed his position on the wooden chair. Junhao leaned forward, eye strained firmly but warmly on Luhan. “I have been slaving away in the demanding biz-world, and trust me, once you get started, there’s not quitting halfway, there’s no taking a break, okay?  We have been living in Korea ever since like, you were 8 or 9, but I don’t want that anymore okay. I don’t want having to wake up early, and going back home only 2 or 3 hours from bedtime. It’s not normal, and it’s not how I want to spend my whole life. And when I received a call from your uncle last week, it made me realized about my other world that I have forgotten, the one that was supposed to be my only world. I cried, every single night after that call, wishfully thinking that this was all just a bad dream and someone will shake me till I wake up. But-” Junhao shrugged with a heavy sigh. “Look at where we are now, son. My dad is sick, lying on the bed since last week and he hasn’t opened his eyes, once. I don’t like what I’ve put us through, and I need you, and everyone else to help me make it up. Luhan, I’m not trying to get back the lost times, but I’m only trying to be better- be a better son for my dad, and maybe, be a better dad for you. But I can’t do this alone. I need you, and I need your mom. And I hope, by doing this, you won’t ever grow up to be a man like me.”

“Dad,” Luhan leaned back, letting a tiny breath of air escape from his mouth. He lifted his gaze, and bit his lower lips. “I appreciate your effort, but honestly, I’m not sure about this.”

“What? But why?”

Luhan raked through his brown hair and it fell back forward smoothly. He leaned in, heart began to race in agony. “I understand what you mean, dad, I really do. But do you even think how this would affect me?”

 “What?”  Junhao raised both of his brows. “What do you mean by ‘affect’? I’m making a right decision for all of us, and you’re saying you’ll be affected badly by this?”

“That’s not what I meant.”

“Then what?” Junhao crossed his arms as he jeered at Luhan. “Tell me what you really mean, Luhan.”

Luhan fell silent suddenly, when he noticed the fine lines that appeared on Junhao’s forehead. His dad was looking at him in annoyance as if he had committed a serious offence, but why can’t he make his own decision? He’s a grown-up man for God’s sake.

 “Never mind, dad,” Luhan shook his head and rolled his eyes. “It’s not like you would get me.”

“What is that supposed to mean?”

“Nothing,” Luhan snapped back, feeling irritated- at his dad for not believing in him, and at his own self for not having enough courage to tell Junhao how he really felt.

“Tell me, Luhan,” Junhao said, holding in the boiling anger inside. “Just- tell me, please.”

“I can’t, dad,” Luhan said calmly. “I’m trying not to be like you.”

“What-” But before Junhao could utter another word, Luhan stood up, pushing back his chair furiously and walked away. Junhao was left alone in the empty cafeteria, puzzled and hurt.

 ⊙ω⊙

Chorong’s finger stopped midair- just above the lit up screen of her Samsung S4 smartphone. She mused, thinking of things to say when the call is finally reached.

How are you, Luhan? How’s your grampa?

How’s the weather there?

Being in your homeland must be real good, huh?

Do you miss me?

‘Cause I do, a lot.

Chorong sighed, and kept away her phone in the end as she slid it into the pocket, and continued with her revision.

Let’s just wait till he gets here. Besides, there’ll be a lot of time to ask those questions.

Chorong glanced momentarily at her watch- 6 hours more until he gets here. Her lips cracked into a smile unconsciously every time she imagines what Luhan’s face would look like when she hugs him later.

⊙ω⊙

The sound of soft voices calling for him stirred Luhan out of his nap. He slit open his eyes, and grimaced at the beautiful stewardess that was leaning forward. She ushered him a kind smile, and backed away seconds after Luhan realized what was happening.

“We have arrived, sir.”

Luhan smiled back shortly, and thanked her for her thoughtful deed. He quickly gathered his things and raced towards the lined-up passengers along the aisle.

He took 10 minutes to walk from the airplane until the arrival gate. Luhan pulled his single luggage behind him as he followed behind other passengers. He looked around, hoping he would notice Chorong first.

He looked everywhere and Chorong was still out of sight.

He then entered a cafeteria located just above the Arrival Gate 4, and took the empty table close to the view that overlooked Arrival Gate 6, where he came out from. Luhan sat at the edge of table, just so perfectly he could see what was going on down there- and see if Chorong has arrived yet.

For 2 hour long, Luhan has completed 8 more levels in Candy Crush Saga, has gladly uninstalled the forever crappy Flappy Bird game and, has devoured like 5 donuts and 3 cups of black coffee. He was feeling jetlagged and he needed all the caffeine rush he could get. He looked down once awhile, and finally, he managed to spot the one he has been waiting for.

Park Chorong- and just like that, his heart raced again, just like how he had always been when he looks at her. She was breathless, putting on a white sundress, layered with a salmon-colored knitted cardigan and her hair was pulled back into a ponytail. Her beauty was ever mesmerizing, and now he hated himself even more for hiding away from her.

Luhan was feeling fidgety in his seat, his was numb from all the limited muscle movement, and he eyes were droopy and tired, but he needed to stay alarmed, in case Chorong looked up and spotted him in return. 

Luhan decided to order his 4th cup of coffee after another hour of watching over Chorong, and sipped at the coffee right away as he gazed constantly at Chorong. He finally finished his last shot, and walked away.

He’s seen her, and she looked alright, and beautiful as always, and that was probably it.

⊙ω⊙

“You cannot treat her that way,” Xiumin finally breathed after listening to Luhan’s side of the story about everything he did to Chorong. “You have no right.”

“Thank you,” Luhan said mockingly. “For having my back, really.”

“Now don’t make me choose sides because you know I’ve always been a man of just.”

“I’m not making you choose sides, and I don’t want you to choose sides, okay?  I just want you to listen, and, probably, tell me how stupid I am for doing this.”

“You’re stupid,” Xiumin said simply, though a hint of disappointment was registered in his tone as the words enter Luhan’s ears. “You’re ing stupid, and even stupid would call you stupid.”

“Thank you,” Luhan looked at Xiumin expectantly. “I’ve never been clearer about my brain status.”

Xiumin smirked in return as he looked back at his best friend. “I’m just saying.”

“Maybe I should go back.”

“Maybe you shouldn’t,” Xiumin raised his brows. “She’s maybe home by now.”

“She must be hurt,” Luhan bit his lower lips. “Maybe I should drop by her house.”

“Na-ah,” Xiumin snapped. “Any actions you’re about to take now that indicates sorry or regrets will be interpreted as ‘don’t trust me anymore after this 'cause I might screw up again’, and trust me Luhan, you don’t want that.”

“How can you be sure? For all we know, she’ll be like, ‘you are forgiven and thank you for keeping your promise. I’m glad I can actually trust you’ if I drop by her house and explain everything.”

“Oh really?” Xiumin jeered offensively as he gently pressed the brake pedal when they hit red lights. “What are you going to tell her exactly? You’re still indecisive about going back to China, and you know very well that if you let Chorong reveal her true feelings to you, you’ll only be hurting her, and yourself.”

“It’s not like she’s gonna say yes, right? And besides, I can’t run away forever like this. I’m her neighbor. She’s gonna figure out soon enough.”

 “You should’ve thought it that way when you first arrived, you moron!”

Luahn slouched in the seat and threw a pitying look at his won reflection on the car window. “Sometimes I hate myself.”

⊙ω⊙

Luhan waved Xiumin goodbye and thanked him for willing to pick him up from the airport and drop him at his house.

“Are you sure you’ll be fine only tonight? Maybe you should crash in my place tonight.”

Luhan nodded and smiled kindly at Xiumin. “It’s okay, dude. But thanks for the offer anyway. I’ll be fine. Go home now. It’s late.”  

Xiumin raised a thumbs-up at Luhan and waved slightly as he pulled out of the driveway. Luhan stayed behind until he watched Xiumin drove away, and only walked on further into his porch when he spotted Chorong going down the stairs in his direction.

He froze, and Chorong looked up at him; bewildered.

On second thought, maybe he should’ve accepted Xiumin’s offer.

 

Yehett~

The update is up and I hope you will like it ^^

Thanks alot for subscribing, really :3

Wouldn't come this far if it's not for you guize~

Do comment and enjoy the story :)