★ Bent, Not Broken

The Way You Glance

Chorong shifted her gaze from frozen Luhan to the car that pulled into the main road. She tried hard not to make any assumption, or passing any judgement about what was going on before her eyes but how can she escape from the fact that Luhan just ditched on her?

Maybe his fight got delayed. Flights got delayed, like all the time, right?

Right?

Luhan remained rooted and speechless. Intense silence filled in the air within seconds, and Chorong’s muscle movement seemed to be at halt, too. She swallowed back, and took another step forward as she stepped down the stairs.

“You’re back,” she said briskly though her lips were trembling, and it was not because of the chilly weather. “How’s your grampa doing? And, w-what happened? I thought your flight was at 4.00 pm.”

“Chorong,” Luhan finally gasped in some air. I will hate myself for this. “What are you doing here?”

“What?” Chorong’s face stiffened upon hearing the words Luhan just insensitively uttered. She was flustered, but she managed to hide the surprise well. “I- I just wanted to check if you’re home or not.”

“I just got home,” Luhan slid his shaking hands inside his jacket and pulled in the attire to keep his body warm. “Xiumin gave me a lift.”

“I can see that,” Chorong said, clenching her teeth. “What is wrong with you anyway? What happened to you back in China?”

“What do you mean?”

Chorong scoffed; her emotions began to mix and pull in all angles, and her stomach turned at the impassive expression Luhan gave her. “Do you take me as a joke?” Her voice stood firmly despite the anger and frustration she felt inside.

“I don’t,” Luhan said calmly. “Trust me.” Please.

“Don’t say that!” Chorong raised up her voice as she glared at him in disgust. “I trusted you, and I know how it feels now. You said you liked me, Luhan, and wanted me to give you the answer. I waited like a fool-“ Chorong paused, and breathed in the cold air that was beginning to hurt her nose. “Did you remember everything you told me the night before you left?”

Now that was the question Luhan has been dreaded to face. He gulped down, but he felt a lump and it hurt him even more. His heart didn’t stop racing from the moment he saw her at the airport, and seeing her dressed in the same outfit made him feel sick at himself. He didn’t deserve her at all, and it just killed at him knowing how true that is.

“Answer me, Luhan” Chorong said under her breath as she looked intensely in Luhan’s cold gaze. “Please.”

“I do,” Luhan finally managed, and he felt like crashing down when he saw her break into tears.

“Okay,” Chorong nodded spitefully as she tore her gaze away. “So- like, did you flight get delayed or something?”

“-no,” he shook his head in tiny motion.

“Okay,” she nodded again, wiping her tears. “So, you arrived on time, but you decided to ditch me? Why? Were you afraid of my answer? You got scared and ran away because I might not give the answer you wanted?”

Luhan felt very soulless at that moment. He understood how desperate Chorong longed for his answers, but too bad he didn’t have the answers himself. He could go on about how his dad has been making plans to live in China without him knowing, but what would that change? Chorong was deeply hurt by his action, and he saw no way out of this mess. He pulled them both into the mess, and he will get them out- but he needed time, but right now, he just wished Chorong would understand his situation- no matter how, he wanted her to understand.

“Chorong,” he said finally. “I’m feeling very tired right now. Maybe we should talk about this some other time.”

“You know what?!” Chorong burst out, and another drop of tear fell on her cheek but she was far from breaking down into a cry. “Screw some other time! Let’s talk about this now- or how about I’ll be the one to talk, and you’ll be the one to listen, huh? Is that okay? Okay? I’m very disappointed in you, and I’ve never known anyone so coward like you, and save your ing feelings to yourself ‘cause I’m so done. I’m down with all of this, okay! You want my answer- fine! I’m gonna be real honest with you reckoning that tonight might be the last night, ever, you and I are going to talk, like ever. I won’t lie to you, and I wanted you to know this so that you will regret what you did to me. At first, I wanted to say ‘yes’, okay, but I’m glad you treated me this way. At least now I know what it would be like to date someone like you. We haven’t even formally dated yet but you broke my heart- but, thank you very much for showing me your true colors. It’s refreshing, really. I guess my final answer is no, and maybe it will remain that way. Good night, Luhan. Nice meeting you.”

⊙ω⊙

He regretted it alright. He knew he would regret it, but the pain, nevertheless, was very unbearable. He joined back into his soccer team; his teammates and his coach were more than ever glad to have him back in the team. They had a semi-final coming up and Luhan’s involvement has always been greatly helpful towards contributing the victory. Luhan however did not feel as eager or excited. He tried to reengage into the adrenalin rush he felt every time he dribbles or kicks or heads but it felt empty. He was feeling hollow inside out and he knew he couldn’t get back into spirit by the time semi-final comes. He needed Chorong back, desperately.

He swore to God if he was born a selfish man he would’ve just stayed in Korea even if his parents were against it. But, maybe he was not selfsh. Maybe the idea of growing up into a man like his dad scared him. Maybe., she was right about him being coward.

“Luhan, watch out!”

Luhan heard the referee’s warning’s faintly, but the moment he looked up, it was pitch black. It was sunny all day though, but all he saw was a vision of nothingness; a completely deserted abyss. He heard voices; muffled voices closing in on him but he was too tired, way too tired to open his eyes. His head didn’t feel like his, and his body was a mass of numbness. Luhan passed out finally, unconscious.

⊙ω⊙

Chorong read the text she received 1 hour ago as she walked out of her Psychology class. She had no more class for the rest of the day, and after what happened to her last night, she was glad to finally hit home. Or maybe not home in case she might run into Luhan.

What was she doing?

If someone wished to hide away, it would be him, not her.

Chorong almost slapped her head after crossing that thought. How could she run into him when she clearly knew he has soccer practice every Friday evening now? She just has to walk around on the other side of the campus to get her car parked near the field.

Okay, so she was the one’s hiding. Big deal.

She returned to her phone and scanned back the text she received awhile ago while shooing off Luhan’s problems from her mind.

It was all over. Done. End of chapter. So, let’s act that way.

‘We saw what happened last night, Chorong. Hayoung is worried but she didn’t want to bother you. I don’t want to get involved, but you didn’t look good to me. Do you want to talk about it? Call me. I’m always free~  J  - yehettman

A smile reached Chorong’s lips when she reached the end of the caring text sent by Sehun. She tapped lightly on the username and it viewed the call option. Chorong tapped again and the call to her childhood friend was made instantly.

“Hello?” She began when she heard a hoarse voice greeting her at the end of the line. “Thank you,” Chorong managed weakly. “I really need you right now.”

⊙ω⊙

The doctor drew out the clinical thermometer from Luhan’s earlobes and studied the reading as indicated on the screen. She then turned to meet the coach’s eyes that have been fixated on the still Luhan.

“He has a fever. And maybe a slight dizziness, but considering from what you told me, it’s probably because of jet lag. I don’t know what to say exactly since we couldn’t hear from the patient himself, but I’m guessing he didn’t sleep last night. He needed as much rest as possible, and you, Mr. Coach, need to go easy on our soccer star, or bye-bye semi-final. The hit from the ball earlier wasn’t that much of a force, but he’s exhausted, and there’s no way his body could endure that. And, like I said, let him rest. He’ll be fine.”

The coach, Mr. Yun Dujun gave a tiny nod at the doctor and shook her hand when the doctor excused herself.

 “Thank you so much,” Dujun said gladly. “I’ll promise you he’ll get all the rest he needs.”

“You better keep that promise,” the doctor smiled and left the room.

Dujun looked over at Xiumin and pointed at him, saying, “You- I want you to keep an eye on your friend until he wakes up. For the time being, Luhan is exempted from regular training until further notice. You, on the other hand, are only exempted today. I will see you in the field tomorrow. Is that clear?”

“Crystal, Mr. Coach,” Xiumin nodded thoughtfully and bowed slightly as he saw Dujun off.

 “And keep me updated,” Dujun turned around once before exiting the room.

Xiumin nodded again before grabbing a nearby chair to sit down. Xiumin took our his phone and placed them on the table. He sat back, slouched in and sighed heavily as he looked sympathetically at Luhan.

What actually happened last night?

Xiumin continued to check up on Luhan, until he finally felt thirsty from the training earlier. He got up, and studied the situation around him. The empty sick bay was left unattended by staff, and in fact, Luhan was probably the only patient admitted into this room at this time.

“What kind of doctor leaves her patient alone?”

Xiumin contemplated inside, and he finally decided to leave for a moment to get some drinks. The nearest kiosk was only 1-block away and being absent for a couple of minues wouldn’t make that much difference to Luhan.

Xiumin got up and rushed towards the door. He left the room, and stopped abruptly before colliding into someone walking in his way.

“Sorry,” Xiumin bowed despite no contact was made at all. He raised his gaze and smiled instinctively when he saw Chorong staring at him. "Oh! Hi there!”

“Hi,” Chorong said, head down, and continued to walk past him after giving him a small nod.

Xiumin turned and called out to her. “Chorong!”

Chorong turned around, startled, and raised a brow. “Yes?”

“Are you in a hurry or something?” He casually asked as he approached her. “I have a favor to ask.”

She seemed reluctant at first, but Xiumin knew this girl standing awkwardly in front of him was too nice to decline the offer right away.

“Yeah,” Chorong admitted. “But, what is it anyway?”

“I- uhm, did you know Luhan got admitted into the sick bay?”

“No,” she said quickly. “What happened?” Chorong tried to remain composed about her tone, but she still felt worried and there was way of brushing that feeling off.

“He got hit by a ball in the head during our practice and out right away. It was nothing, though,” Xiumin stifled a small smile and was feeling glad inside to see her panicky reaction regarding Luhan’s condition. “He’s sleeping in the sick bay at the moment. Can you-uhm, keep an eye on him for a second? I need to go somewhere.”

“I- well,” Chorong hesitated while glancing at her wrist.

Should she reject his offer?

But it won’t take long.

“Please,” Xiumin almost begged.

“Okay,” Chorong finally nodded with a sigh. “Sure.”

“Thank you so much,” Xiumin said, and gave her a thoughtful bow.  “I owe you one.”

“Xiumin,” she called again when Xiumin turned his back on her. Xiumin glanced behind, answered her ‘yes’.

“Is he- sleeping?” Chorong stuttered. “Right now?”

“Yeah,” he nodded, grinning. “I won’t be long, I swear.”

Chorong paused and nodded weakly. “Okay.”

⊙ω⊙

She dragged her feet towards the drawn white curtain and stood right before the shades that separated her and Luhan. She was nervous, and she thought her heart felt like bursting.

What if Luhan has awakened?

But the surrounding was acutely quiet and peaceful, so there was no way Luhan was already up. Chorong inhaled deeply, and forced out her hand to pull at the shades.

Her gaze feel instantaneously on the still man, and she was having trouble breathing; she thought Luhan looked like an angel lying there. His clean face was pale, and white as sheet. His nose was pointed in a modest manner, and the bridge was a perfect line. His strong jaw gave her a rush she was unfamiliar about, and his calm chest movement was very endearing. Chorong stepped forward, nearing the bed, and she already felt as if she has been magically teleported to a different world.

You looked so weak. What happened to you?

Chorong pulled the chair back, and sat down. At first her upper body was sitting stiffly, and as time passes, she finally slouched in and was glad to enjoy a sense of comfort.

Luhan was like a living dool. He didn’t stir, and his breathing was orderly peaceful. His chest rose and set in serenity, in a sense that Chorong thought it was very unreal for any living human to behave this way. But, maybe not Luhan.

I should stop admiring him. This is getting out of control.

Her gaze fell pityingly on Luhan’s hand that was resting limply by his side. As if nothing had happened between them, Chorong reached for the hand, and clutched her own fingers around him. Chorong leaned forward, and tightened the grip around her fingers.

His hand was big, but it fit her perfectly. The warmth she felt around the grip was not normal. She pressed her other free hand onto his forehead to measure his body temperature.

“That’s hot,” she gasped, and quickly pressed her own to compare the temperature. The burning sensation she felt on her palm still lingered when she tested her own temperature. “This won’t do.”

Chrong got up, letting go of the grip, and shuffled across the empty room. She opened the glass wardrobe behind the counter and rummaged carefully about to find a hand towel. She finally found one, and quickly made her way towards the built-in bathroom opposite from the main entrance. She the cold water, and rinsed the towel just nice. She squeezed the towel, and folded it into a rectangular shape.

Chorong hurried back to the bed, and bent over to place the towel just above his forehead. She wiped away the droplets that fell on his temple, and pressed the towel lightly to centralize its position.

"His body temperature should drop by now." Chorong stepped back, and her smile faded away when she saw the time on the wall.

It was 3.29 and she only has 1 minute left to drive over to Sehun’s high school. Chorong paused, and finally decided to leave as she has promised to pick Sehun up from school.

...

 

BEEP BEEP :3

Hello~

How do you find this update?

I hope you like the part where Chorong was being all worried and caring when she nursed Luhan.

I thought it was cute enough because she managed to put away her disappointment in Luhan, and just selflessly care for his condition.

Basically, I wrote that part because I wanted you guys to know that you should never let your emotions get to your head (or heart). If you still care, show it. Don't be egoistic, and don't be stubborn, because you might miss the chance to even care for semeone you love.

It's like when you have an arguement with someone, don't completely shut them out. You should still show them how much they mean to you, even when they broke your heart.

Because love is a sefless thing, right?

(this reminder is also for me OTL)

Thil our next update :)

p/s: Since font 12 is incredibly small, I change it to 14. I hope that's better for your eyes lol