★ One Step Closer

The Way You Glance

Despite the short drive home, Luhan was glad he didn't act entirely awkward or erted towards his crush or Chorong might as well just convince her family to move back to where they came from, or just disappear.

Luhan knew he was acting strange after dropping her off- like forgot to turn off the headlights, or put the wrong key into the keyhole or danced through the empty house, humming to Aerosmith's Don't Wanna Miss A Thing, but he honestly couldn't seem to shake that feelings off or just snap out of it. It was a pretty nice feeling and he was not sure of he ever felt that before about someone.

Chorong.

Luhan thought it was the first time he ever met across that name, and he really thought that name suited her well. He liked the way she smelt; the balance in sweet and y smell was just nice. He liked how brown her hair shone despite the low light intensity and it would magically turn black when there was almost no light at all, and he liked how she openly apologised after he had cleared the misunderstanding, and he definitely liked how she would politely wait in front of her house for him to drive on before getting into the house. Luhan thought Chorong was unreal at first, but now she had proved him wrong. One thing was bothering his for sure though- he just didn't know if Chorong ever going to feel the same abut him? Or at least half as much.

⊙ω⊙

The boys were going crazy over one ball. It was only a routine they do daily but the eagerness and the high spirit they have was just as impressive as the performance they were giving. Victorious Monsters- the name of the Seungri University soccer club was especially given after the same name of the university. Luhan was active in this infamous soccer club ever since he found a pamphlet of an open audition to seek for a new striker. He practiced only one week for the sole spot and he nailed it right away. He basically has proved to everyone that carrying a small frame did not stop anyone from playing their favorite sports. And that victory was what brought Xiumin into his personal life.

"Luhan!" Xiumin practically shouted as he kicked and passed the ball to him. Sweatdrops were flying about in different directions from all the running he made. Xiumin briskly wiped them away with his sleeves. The drenched sleeves however was no help.

Luhan managed to dribble the ball past his opponent and he mentally calculated any chance of scoring. His eyes scanned around, and he argued against his own capability whether he could still shoot despite the crowding players that were already forming a line around the goal. After doing some mental mathematical calculations, Luhan channeled all his strength onto his flexed hamstring muscle and his right foot forward, sending the ball off into the wide open mouth of the goal.

"Gooaaaallllllll!!"

The audience took only seconds to completely transform into crazy monkeys at Luhan's successful attempt. His teammates charged towards him and Luhan was already running round the perimeter of the field. What Luhan enjoyed the most abut soccer is that the audience would always fill the stadium eventhough it was only a practice. The celebration however lasted only minutes before the coach instructed them to keep their heads in the game and carry on playing. The game lasted for about 30 minutes more and no goal was made throughout the whole half an hour. The game wrapped up in a light mood where the home team managed to ace the game. The coach then instructed his players to cool down before dimissing everyone.

Luhan quenched his thirst with Mountain Dew, and he politely sent his seniors and juniors off when the evening was getting darker. Luhan gazed at his watch from the corner of his eyes. The time was 6.38p.m. and he needed to get home before 7.00 p.m or his mom would call him every 3 minutes.

Xiumin already left after they had conversed briefly about what happened last two nights. The truth is, Luhan had trouble keeping his story short and incidently, Xiumin had trouble believing everything that Luhan told him. But then again, Xiumin knew Luhan too well to know whether he was lying or not. And he wasn't.

Luhan screwed tight his bottle cap before carelessly tossed it into his Nike knapsack. Luhan got up, patted the dirt off his back and headed over to the parking lot that was eastside of the field. The students were still visible around the green campus, probably just got off the late evening classes.

Luhan smiled as he looked around, pleased to see the sun was finally setting in. It was a beautiful day, and Luhan felt very good after the compliments he received due to his performance. After only 1 minute brisk-walking to the student parking lot, Luhan spotted a familiar figure dismounting a black Cadillac. His feet froze instantly. There was something troublesome yet intriguing thing that always tingled inside of Luhan everytime he saw that beautiful face- Chorong's face; looking back at him.

"Hi," Chorong waved at Luhan in a casual manner, not wanting to appear overjoyed by this seemingly fated meeting. "Luhan, right?"

Luhan beamed without any struggles or holding back. The corner of his lips pierced through his cheekbones and he didn't seem to mind looking overjoyed at all. He missed her.

"Yes," Luhan answered. "Oh I forgot we attend the same college." He didn't. "Nice ride by the way."

Chorong smiled shyly as she drew her hair back. "You can tell that to my dad."

"Maybe I will," Luhan ended with a short laugh. "So, did you just get here?"

"Yeah. My friends wanted to show me something. And she cannot wait until tomorrow. So I had to beg my dad to let me borrow his car. I literally begged him, you know."

"Why didn't you ask from your mom?"

"My mom doesn't drive. She just- doesn't." Chorong's face went dark suddenly.

 Luhan bit his lips. "Did I just ask something perso-"

"It was nothing. It's just that, urm, she had some kind of car accident when she was in high school and ever since she just can't drive. She had some phobias but I think she's doing well getting over them."

"I'm sorry." Luhan's voice was just as sympathetic as his expression.

Chorong nodded, and gave him a convincing, small smile. "Thanks, I guess. I felt weird telling this to you. No offence, it's just that I'm usually more defensive about my family because we are different, but I don't know why I keep telling you stuff." Chorong then let out a giggly chuckle. "Okay that's just messed up because I just told you that my family is different. Oh my God Luhan you need to tell me your secret weapon. I am completely unarmed right now!"

Luhan stared at Chorong, and he didn't do anything besides standing in front of her and just watch her giggle, smile and talk. She might think he wasn't paying attention but he could actually repeat every word she just used if she wanted him to.

"Luhan? Oh Luhan? Are you in there?" Chorong waved her hand in front of his face.

 "Hello?"

Luhan blinked a couple of times after he had been pulled into a reality from the sound of finger snapping in his face. "Y-yes?"

"I'm sorry I'm not amusing enough. Why do you keep spacing out? It makes me feel bad," Chorong said with a half-pursed mouth.

"What- no! I didn't mean to space out- wait, I was not spacing out. I listened to every word that you said, Chorong. You said your family was different but I didn't think it mattered. I think all that mattered is that you accept them for who they are, and they may not be perfect or beautiful but that's okay because you know they would love you for the same reason. I-I mean, at least, that's how I see it..."

Chorong was covering , amazed by the honesty Luhan just showed her. She never felt this exposed to a complete stranger and Luhan just showed her that insecurity is not a big deal. She felt a burning sensation in the back of her eyes in just a few minutes. Chorong dropped her chin quickly and Luhan somehow noticed a single line of tears began to run down her left cheek.

Did he just make her cry?

"No! No! No! No!" Luhan said too fastly as he began to freak out. His eys were wide and drops of cold sweats were breaking out on his smooth forehead. He meant to reach out and comfort her, but he thought it would be weird and way too friendly. He was actually feeling embarassed at the picture of touching her.

"What have I done?"

Chorong had her head down, hand plastered on and her shoulders were starting to shake.

"Oh my God! I'm so sorry. I'm so, so sorry. I don't know what came over me. I don't know why I say stuff like I know too much. I didn't- I honestly didn't mean to offend you, or even hurt your feelings."

Chorong was still sobbing hard. She slowly shook her head repeatedly.

"W-what is it? " Luhan stammered; feeling rather confused but he tried to sound regretful. "I- didn't hurt you? You were not offended?"

Chorong quickly nodded at his questions.

"I hurt you?" Luhan's head felt like exploding, puzzled at her body language. "You were offended?  I'm very sorry if that's how you feel."

Chorong raised her head and finally removed her hand off of . "No... " Her voice sounded weak and sad.

"No? "

 "No... "

"Then, I did not hurt you... ?" Luhan hesitated as he fixed his hair. "Is that what you were trying to tell me?"

"Yes." Chorong nodded slowly, hands wiping at both of her cheeks. She then patted softly on her cheeks. "I don't know what's just got into me. Your words; they moved me. And it just, like, banged in my head. It made me think so much of my family and all the pain I put my mom through. " And just like that her eyes filled with tears again.

I'm very very sorry’ was all Luhan could say. He wanted to know so much about her, and all her possibly painful experiences but he refrained from asking further. Luhan wanted to give her handkerchief but all he had was some used towel and a pair of worn shirts and denim.

 "Good." Chorong then glanced quickly at him. "It's your fault anyway."

"I-I," Luhan stuttered, taken aback by her sudden change of attitude.

"I was just kidding."

He let out panicky snort. "You don't look like you're kidding."

"Well, technically speaking, humans do tend to be truthful when they're making a joke."

"I feel really bad for making you cry though."

Chorong laughed shortly. "Don't be," she said, choking on her soft sobs. "I was feeling touched. Not offended or hurt by it, at all."

"If you don't mind, I can treat you to a coffee."

"If you wanted to make up for last time and this time, then boy you gotta treat me twice."

"Okay," Luhan answered right away.

"Wha- no! Luhan, no, I don't want- what, no! I was kidding. Seriously no, Luhan, don't. I was kidding. I'll be totally fine if you just treat me with a piece of candy."

"But I was not kidding when I said okay.”

"Yeah, well I was kidding when I said you hafta treat me twice."

"Okay..." Luhan finally nodded, accepting the rejected offer he just received.

Chorong was slightly amazed at Luhan's genuine expression. "How can you be so innocent? I'm starting to feel bad for rejecting your offer, but then I would feel even bad if I accepted your offer. How about if we do this; you can treat me to a coffee only if you agree to attend to my housewarming party- well I meant, you and your whole family."

"Your housewarming party?" Luhan's face lit up instantly like a little kid who just retrieved his lost toy.

"Yeah. Sure. When?"

"Next two Fridays. I know it will be like two more weeks to go, but my parents are still busy, and my little sister has this upcoming writing qualification test and we don't even have time for ourselves. We have so much work to do because we just moved here from Gyunggi and- why am I telling you so much when I have so little time left?" Chorong then slapped at her forehead lighty. "My friends are gonna kill me. Luhan, can we talk later? I have to go, now. Sorry. Bye! Nice meeting you by the way."

Later? Talk? Talk more, later?

Luhan nodded quickly as he waved her goodbye.  He managed to yell ‘see you later’ before she disappeared into a nearest building.

So how to stop smiling again?

 

 ...

 

 

 Odg look at this ~long~ chapter I just magically wrote. This kind of thing don't happen often, I can promise you that ohhohoho

Anyways, I have a few things to share with you wonderful reader you

Firstly, this Chorong character I made is basically based on a real, walking, living person in my life. Note that she does not have some inresolved family issues like Chorong, it's just that their personality are so much alike. Her bright face constantly ran around in my mind everytime I picture Chorong's reactions and it made me miss her even more. I should probably keep in touch with her more often, cuz she's a ~friend~

Secondly, this Luhan's awkward and genuine character is so much like me when I'm around strangers that made me feel misfit, except that Luhan has always been like this and he definitely didn't feel misfit or unaccepted. Basically, if some strangers made me like I don't belong, I would automatically think seriously of jokes and just Idk, be all over the place. It was uncomfortable, really. Cuz I'm actually neurotic and weird by nature, and when people made me act the total opposite, I feel very insecure and that ain't doing me any good 

Idk why I'm teling you these things. I hope it's not weird OTL

Anyways, enjoy ♥

COMMENT AND I WILL GIVE LUHAN TO YOU /crosses fingers on right/

SUBSCRIBE AND I WILL GIVE OT12 TO YOU /crosses fingers on left/