Christmas Eve

Reuniting Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 A short chapter in line with the festive cheer before everyone goes on holidays! Happy Christmas One and All!

 

Twas the night before Christmas, all through the house, a quiet tranquillity was felt. It seemed not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse. Stockings hung by the fireplace, in hopes that Father Christmas would soon be there.

 

All four were cuddled together on the sofa bed with Fang laying quietly by Ji Hyo's feet. After dinner, the quartet had retired to the living room, where they sat listening to Christmas carols. Hyo Joo was nestled snugly on her mother's chest, her eyelids heavy, being lulled to sleep by the soft flickering lights of the candles and the soothing lullaby of Christmas carols.

 

The adults were each absorbed in their own quiet moments of reflection, gratitude or contemplation. Eun Soo reflected upon the year that was almost over. Kwang Soo, meanwhile, was thankful for being surrounded by family and the company of Ji Hyo and her daughter. Looking over, he watched as Ji Hyo gently Hyo Joo's head and pressed soft kisses onto her scalp, all the while smiling to himself at the tender moment unfolding before him.

 

Ji Hyo was quietly contemplating the would-be effects of her prior actions. In a blink of an eye, a week had flown by. She was due to leave the following week. Upon returning from Mills' farm, she had contacted her lawyer, starting the divorce process. He had recently informed her that the documents were ready. She was free to collect it upon her return to Korea, or if she wished, arrange for them to be couriered over to New Zealand.

 

There was also the thought of the Christmas barbeque that Kwang Soo had organised, in which he had invited his mother. Ji Hyo had no objections to it. It was only natural. But it also made her mildly anxious. She wasn't sure how his mother would react. Although Ji Hyo had only met the older lady once before, she had been kindly and motherly to her. And it made her feel somewhat accountable that she had hurt her son.

 

She was eventually shaken from her thoughts when she heard Eun Soo yawning. Glancing over at her, she saw the vet stretching and trying to stifle another yawn. “Hey guys, I'm having the attack of the post-dinner sleepiness. And the effects of too much soju. I'm going to bed. Happy Christmas in advance!” Eun Soo said before padding up the stairs.

 

Ji Hyo looked over at Kwang Soo. “Kwang Soo-ah. Are you tired? You've been so busy recently. Do you want to rest? I can leave.” She asked softly.

 

Shaking his head, Kwang Soo smiled at Ji Hyo. “It's fine, noona. I'm not that tired. In fact, it's nice just to sit around and wind down after a day's labour.”

 

Ji Hyo giggled. “Yup! And you really do mean that literally not just figuratively.”

 

Kwang Soo chuckled. “Yeah, I guess I do, eh?”

 

The pair shared a quiet laugh. “I'm sorry I didn't really bring you around to see the country. It's just a pretty busy time at the farm this month. With all the livestock giving birth, Mills has really got his hands full.” Kwang Soo lamented apologetically.

 

“It's fine, Kwang Soo-ah. I understand. Please, don't worry about it. Besides, Eun Soo's pretty good company too.” She assured, resting a hand on his arm.

 

Kwang Soo stared incredulously at her. “My sister? Good company? She's so annoying! She's always butting her nose into my business or other people's businesses. Aish!” He cursed.

 

Ji Hyo smiled amusedly at him, running her hand down his arms gently. “Your sister is just looking out for you. She's doing it outta love, you know?” She pointed out.

 

Kwang Soo agreed begrudgingly. “Yeah, I know. It's still annoying though.” He grumbled softly. “So noona, since we haven't caught up in a couple of days, tell me what did you ladies get up to yesterday?” He asked with a lop-sided grin, listening as Ji Hyo recounted how Eun Soo brought them on a day trip to climb Fox Glacier.

 

 

“Ji Hyo Unnie, Hyo Joo-ah! This is the mighty Fox Glacier! One of two glaciers located in the South Island! The other being Franz Josef!” Eun Soo pointed out excitedly. She had booked them on a half-day guided walk up the glacier.

 

Mother and daughter looked out of the car window, towards the direction that Eun Soo was pointing in. Their jaws dropped at the sheer majesty of the glacier, tucked into the forested foothills of the Southern Alps. Hyo Joo grinned excitedly back at her mother, her eyes round and wide with the anticipation of the coming adventure.

 

The drive over to the glacier had taken slightly less than 2 hours. Throughout the drive, the young child could not stop talking. She had an inquisitive mind and constantly posed questions to the vet, who answered every one of them patiently and politely, never once losing her cool at the child. Finally, the curious girl had run out of questions to ask and sat back in the chair, content with playing with her stuffed unicorn and looking out the window, admiring the passing scenery.

 

Ji Hyo spared a glance at the younger lady. “Eun Soo-ah, you're so much like your brother. Both of you are so patient and kind with kids.” She marvelled.

 

Eun Soo smiled. “I love kids! Besides, I used to be one of those annoying ones who constantly bugged my brother. So I guess I can't complain when your daughter asks me questions.”

 

“Eun Soo Unnie, why didn't Uncle Kwang Soo come with us today?” Came Hyo Joo's soft voice from the backseat.

 

Eun Soo smiled. “Uncle Kwang Soo is busy on the farm today. Why? Do you miss him? We'll see him tonight.” She answered.

 

Hyo Joo grinned from ear to ear. “Yay! Mr Pinky! We'll see Uncle Kwang Soo tonight! Now, we have to comb your hair and make you handsome.” She said, turning to her stuffed unicorn.

 

 

As the trio walked up to the visitor's centre, a friendly guide came up to them. Smiling widely, she took down their names and issued a pair of sturdy leather boots to each of them. The boots came equipped with crampons, specially designed for climbing up the icy slope, including child-sized ones

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter