Adieu

Reuniting Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's note: Thank you to everyone for staying with the story. Apologies for the lack of posts these couple of months. Moving to a new country is a real pain. The final chapter was too long originally, so I have broken it into 2 parts.

Not to worry, the last chapter is already written and I have it in my drafts. I just need to refine it. I promise it will be up by this weekend. While waiting, please enjoy this 2nd to last chapter.

 

 

Adieu - From old French, meaning farewell or goodbye.

 

Chang Joo hugged Hyo Joo, breathing in his daughter's familiar scent. The child nuzzled into his warm embrace. Although she was used to rarely seeing her father, she was still sad to see him leave and would still miss him. “Hyo Joo-ya. Be a good girl for your mother, ok?” Chang Joo instructed, smiling as his little girl nodded.

 

Standing and taking his bag, he glanced over at Ji Hyo who was standing close by. She held her hands clasped in front of her, biting her lower lip. He wanted to give her a good-bye hug but held back, unsure if the woman would appreciate it. Looking up at him, she smiled softly before taking a step forward, initiating the hug. It lasted all but a few seconds, but Chang Joo thought that a myriad of emotions went into it; sadness for the ending of their marriage, relief that it had been amicable, and hope. Hope for the future.

 

Ending the hug, Ji Hyo took a step back. Affectionately, she placed a hand on his arm. “I'll see you in a couple of days.” She murmured. Chang Joo gave her a small smile and nodded. Giving Hyo Joo a last affectionate pat on the head, he left the house. The little girl went to stand by her mother, watching as her father left.

 

 

Kwang Soo stood leaning by his truck, away from the family. Giving them space to say their goodbyes. He watched as Ji Hyo gave Chang Joo a good-bye hug. A wistful smile tugged at his lips. He was happy for the family, but a shred of melancholy remained in the deepest recesses of his heart. He wanted to be with Ji Hyo. To be free to love her. Yet, in light of the recent developments, he felt that he should step aside. It was the right thing to do. Wasn't it?

 

A war raged within him. Between what he felt was right, and what he wanted. Both sides tugged at him. He wasn't sure what he should do. But watching the family exchange goodbyes, he knew. He knew the selfless part of him would do what he believed to be right. The resolution gave him little comfort, but whoever said the right choice was easy?

 

Ignoring the woe welling up in him, he reached down, patting Fang on the head, finding comfort in the puppy's big furry head. Picking up on his human's morose mood, Fang whined softly and his owner's hands, hoping the simple act would soothe his master.

 

As Chang Joo approached the truck, Kwang Soo opened the door to the backseat and helped the older man stow his bag there. When he learnt that Chang Joo would be leaving, he had volunteered to send him to the airport. Slowly, the truck pulled out of the driveway, and Chang Joo waved goodbye to his daughter. He kept waving till the truck turned the corner, and he could no longer see his little girl.

 

The cabin was filled with an uncomfortable silence during the short drive to Greymouth airport. Both men were lost in their thoughts. Chang Joo reflected on the walk he had taken with Hyo Joo earlier that morning.

 

 

“Hyo Joo-ah... What do you think of Uncle Kwang Soo?” Chang Joo asked, attempting to break the silence.

 

Although the little girl had initially been excited and happy, their walk around the neighbourhood had gradually turned stiff and awkward as she lapsed into memories of her father silencing her on previous occasions. Accustomed to never talking around her father, Hyo Joo had remained relatively quiet throughout the walk. However, at the mention of the giraffe, her little face broke into a toothy grin. “He is funny and always plays with me! Oh, and he has a doggie!” She gushed, as she skipped alongside her father. The topic put her at ease, and she warmed up to Chang Joo.

 

Chang Joo smiled wryly. It seemed ironic that though he had all these years with Hyo Joo, he never took the time in getting to know his child. As a result, the little girl was shy and unsure around him. On the other hand, the boy, who had only spent a couple of weeks with his girl, had been vastly different in his approach to the child. His warm and caring manner had endeared Hyo Joo to him. She was comfortable in his presence and behaved in her natural chatter-box manner.

 

The differences between their interactions were telling. The sounds of Hyo Joo's ceaseless chatter when she was with Kwang Soo was in stark contrast to the silence that now hung between father and daughter. Chang Joo thought about how he had failed as a father in allowing his child to speak freely with him. He realised then, that although he was Hyo Joo's biological father, in other areas such as emotional and psychological support, he had not provided it. It hurt to think that Kwang Soo, despite not being Hyo Joo's father had done a better job in that aspect.

 

Heck, the boy was even a better life partner for Ji Hyo. Putting her needs above his own.

 

 

Chang Joo turned to the lanky man. “Kwang Soo-ssi,” He called out softly.

 

Upon hearing the older man speak, Kwang Soo dipped his head respectfully and glanced over. He could tell that Chang Joo was having difficulty forming his next words, so he waited patiently.

 

“I see that you care a lot about Hyo Joo... and you are in love with Ji Hyo–” Chang Joo continued, only to be cut off by the younger man.

 

“Mr Baek! Please don't be mistaken. I'm not trying anything! I mean, I do care for them... Anyone would.” Kwang Soo protested, alarmed. “Although... I am in love with Ji Hyo noona.” He admitted quietly, his eyes downcast, conceding to the fact. Pausing, he contemplated his next sentence. “But... you are Hyo Joo's father and Ji Hyo's husband. I respect that and would never come between you and your family. It would be wrong. So please, do not misunderstand.”

 

Chang Joo glanced over and saw the honesty and conviction in the younger man's eyes; that Kwang Soo wasn't just saying all that for his benefit. He smiled an enigmatic smile. “The world has no right or wrong answers. So don't look for it.” He said as Kwang Soo pulled to a stop at the departure hall.

 

Confused, Kwang Soo looked over at the older man, his eyebrows furrowed. But he felt even more baffled when he found Chang Joo smiling serenely back at him.

 

“Marrying someone, knowing if you'll be happy or not, is something nobody would know. With every decision, right and wrong answers coexist. Wise people make a decision and work towards making it the right choice.” Chang Joo explained. He paused, allowing the younger man to take in his words before he continued. “The world has no right or wrong answers. But... there is a process of making a decision the right answer.” He finished, clapping Kwang Soo on the back.

 

Kwang Soo blinked several times, trying to take in what the CEO was telling him. Was he encouraging him to follow his heart and go after Ji Hyo? He shook his head, trying to clear his mind. “Sir? I'm not quite sure I'm following you.” He asked respectfully.

 

Reaching for the backseat, Chang Joo grabbed his bag. “I've made my decision and signed the papers. Ji Hyo and I are better off leading separate lives. Of course, I will still be here for Hyo Joo. But for now... I can see no future with Ji Hyo.” He elaborated as he opened the door. As he got out of the truck, Chang Joo spoke nonchalantly over his shoulder. “Take care of her. Of them.” He instructed before closing the door and walking into the airport.

 

Kwang Soo sat disbelieving in his truck, staring dumbfounded after the rapidly retreating figure of the older man who had indirectly given him his bl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter