Saudade

Reuniting Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Saudade:  A nostalgic longing to be near again to something or someone that is distant, or that has been loved and then lost; "the love that remains"

 

“Wow unnie, I didn't know you could cook so well.” Eun Soo gushed as she tasted what Ji Hyo had cooked. The actress had volunteered to make dinner for the siblings, in repayment for staying at Kwang Soo's place. “Kwang Soo always told me you're a bad chef.” She revealed.

 

“Oh, he did, did he?” Ji Hyo answered half menacingly.

 

“Oooo unnie... You're totally going to pull out his hair when he comes back aren't you?” Asked Eun Soo as she grinned cheekily at Ji Hyo.

 

 

Kwang Soo was getting ready to bring Fang out for an evening walk when Hyo Joo had begged to tag along. “Don't worry, noona. I won't let a hair on Hyo Joo's head come to harm.” Kwang Soo assured, winking at Ji Hyo when he saw her unconvinced expression. “You ladies have fun cooking, we'll be back in about 45 minutes.” He said as he put the leash on Fang and opened the front door.

 

“Eun Soo-ah, just make sure Ji Hyo noona doesn't poison us!” He drawled. “Quick, Princess run!” Kwang Soo instructed, dashing out before Ji Hyo could rush over, with Hyo Joo hot on his heels.

 

 

After setting the dinner table, Ji Hyo came back down with a bottle of soju. “Eun Soo-ah, I think it must be quite hard to find a Korean mart here, so I brought along a bottle of soju. Kwang Soo doesn't drink often, but I hope the two of you will appreciate this.” She said, handing the bottle over to Eun Soo.

 

“Wow, unnie! Thank you! Kwang Soo doesn't drink a lot, but I do! And I've heard about your drinking habits! Shall we open this bottle to share? It's been a long time since I had soju!” Eun Soo exclaimed excitedly. “You wouldn't happen to have makgeolli too, would you?” She added hopefully as an afterthought.

 

Ji Hyo laughed. “No, I'm afraid I don't. I'm sorry. I only brought soju because that's what I've seen Kwang Soo drink. I didn't know I would meet you, if not I would've brought some makgeolli as well. As for drinking, I haven't been drinking as much as I used to. It's kinda hard to go drinking when you're a mother.” She explained. “But if you want to share, I'll take a glass.” She offered.

 

“To be honest, since becoming a mother, I've picked up a few things. Your brother was right, you know? I've never really cooked before... At least I didn't cook very well, but I've improved.” Ji Hyo shared, staring into the distance. “When Running Man ended, I stayed home to care for Hyo Joo. During that time, I taught myself to cook many things. I learnt many Korean recipes from my mother, but my husband used to study in the United States and loved roasts. So I started learning how to do a proper Sunday roast.” She beamed, proud of her achievement. “I wanted to cook nice meals for my husband so that we could all sit down to have dinner together as a family... But it never really happened.” Ji Hyo finished sadly.

 

Eun Soo wrapped an arm around her, comforting the older lady. “Unnie, I don't really know what's going on. Kwang Soo is the typical older brother. He never shares anything with me. All I know is that you and my brother were very much in love once. I hear bits and pieces from our mother.” Eun Soo quipped, grinning cheekily. She looked over at Ji Hyo. “You don't seem very happy. I don't mean to be nosy, but did something happen at home? You look troubled. And you visited so suddenly.” The vet said sombrely. “Not that we mind of course!” She added quickly, not wanting Ji Hyo to feel unwelcomed.

 

Ji Hyo sighed, “You are very perceptive.”

 

Eun Soo smiled. “Of course! I'm a vet! I make it my business to be perceptive! My patients aren't able to speak and tell me what's wrong, so it's second nature to me to pick up on emotions!” She pointed out, winking at Ji Hyo. “Anyway unnie, I may be young, and I may not know what is happening in your life. But feel free to talk to me if you need to.” Eun Soo offered, rubbing Ji Hyo's arms comfortingly. Ji Hyo smiled and thanked her for her kindness.

 

They turned as they heard the front door open. “Mummy! I'm home!” Hyo Joo cried as she ran into her mother's arms. 

 

Upon seeing the commotion, Fang, who had grown fond of the human child, came barreling towards Ji Hyo as well. Leaping into Ji Hyo's arms, he peppered both mother and daughter with slobber, them with his giant tongue. He was finally separated when Kwang Soo carried him off, telling him to stop.

 

Silly humans, he thought. How else was a dog to show his love for his humans? Still, he wagged his tail happily as Kwang Soo set a bowl of kibble down in front of him.

 

“Noona, did you cook this? Or did you order from a restaurant?” Kwang Soo asked as he eyed the roast on the table suspiciously. “Is this the prime rib I bought?!” He clarified, pointing at the slab of meat. He watched as his sister nodded.

 

Ji Hyo's hands reached for to his head. Grabbing a fistful of his hair, she yanked it. “Ya, Lee Kwang Soo! You see!? It looks good enough that you thought I ordered it from a restaurant, right?” She glowered.

 

Eun Soo and Hyo Joo watched on, amused and tickled as Kwang Soo yelped and pleaded with Ji Hyo, attempting to appeal to her compassionate side by complimenting her on how beautiful she looked. Finally, Ji Hyo seemed satisfied and released her grip. Almost immediately, he touched the top of his head to assure himself that there wasn't a bald patch.

 

As a sign of apology, Ji Hyo patted the empty seat next to her, inviting Kwang Soo to take a seat. Her eyes softening as she watched him rub his head. Unconsciously, she reached over and ran her hand over his head gently, soothing it.

 

The exchange did not go unnoticed by Eun Soo and she smirked.

 

It's obvious unnie still has feelings for my stupid brother. Oh, why does love have to be so hard? I hope they get their act together this time. Unnie and Hyo Joo deserve to be happy.

 

Expertly, Eun Soo started carving the beef. She then dressed it in the juices before passing the slices of meat around the table. Ji Hyo thanked her before turning to Hyo Joo and started asking about her walk with Fang and Kwang Soo.

 

“Oh, uncle Kwang Soo brought us to the beach! It was so nice!” The girl exclaimed excitedly and began recollecting the experience animatedly in her childlike way. “Oh and then we played in the sand! And then Fang almost ran into the ocean! And, and we played fetch! Oh, and uncle Kwang Soo picked me up and carried me on his shoulders! Mummy, it was just like the daddies at school!!” She recounted, beaming at Kwang Soo who started blushing at the looks he was receiving from Ji Hyo and his sister.

 

 

Kwang Soo parked the car. He turned to Hyo Joo who was seated next to him. “Ok, Princess. We have arrived at the beach. Come'on, let's go play!” He helped the little girl out of her seat and out of the car. Releasing his hold on Fang's leash, he let the puppy run free on the beach. He held Hyo Joo's small hand tightly, bu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter