Dinner

Reuniting Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ji Hyo padded down the stairs quietly, her tummy growled. She had only taken a bite of the steak before Hyo Joo acted up, so she was hungry and unable to fall asleep. She spotted Kwang Soo and Eun Soo in the kitchen having tea and walked over to the pair. As soon as Eun Soo saw her, she was up from her seat, apologising profusely. “Unnie, I'm so sorry. I never meant to make Hyo Joo upset. I just wanted to tease my brother.” 

 

Ji Hyo smiled. “I know, Eun Soo-ah. It's ok. It isn't your fault. I didn't expect her to react that way either. I guess some hurts run deeper than I thought it did... And have taken hold.” She finished quietly, holding Kwang Soo's gaze. Those were the same words he told her, six years ago at Incheon airport.

 

“How is Hyo Joo now? Is she feeling better?” Kwang Soo asked.

 

Even in the dim light, Ji Hyo could see the concern etched in his features. “She's fine. She's already fast asleep.” She assured. “Erm... There wouldn't happen to be more steak left, would there? I'm kinda hungry.” Ji Hyo said.

 

Kwang Soo grinned. “Always hungry, eh, noona?” He teased.

 

“Ya! Lee Kwang Soo! Don't be rude! I only had a bit to eat at dinner. Of course, I'm hungry!” Ji Hyo scolded.

 

Kwang Soo put his hands up in the air. “I was only joking, noona. Relax! There's still plenty left. Let me re-heat them for you. Why don't you go take a seat and wait.” He instructed.

 

Eun Soo decided this would be a good time to leave the two alone. “Ji Hyo Unnie, Kwang Soo, I'm tired. I'm gonna go to bed. See you guys tomorrow!” She announced before heading up.

 

With Eun Soo gone, an awkward silence filled the air. Both aware that this was the first time they were left alone in over six years. Clearing his throat, Kwang Soo pretended to be busy in the kitchen. In reality, there was really nothing he needed doing. The oven was doing its work, heating up the food. Ji Hyo walked over to the living room. She saw that Kwang Soo had already opened up the sofa bed and she plopped down, stretching out on the sofa. Picking up the remote, she the tv, letting the noise fill the room.

 

Kwang Soo sighed. Leaning back against a wall, he watched as Ji Hyo channel surfed.

 

When did it become so awkward, so unnatural? We used to be able to talk about anything under the sun. Now, we're scrambling about, unsure how to act, groping in the darkness. Afraid of saying one wrong word.

 

Resolved not to let this uncomfortable atmosphere linger between them, he pushed himself off the wall and walked over to where Ji Hyo was seated. Looking up at his approach, she flashed him a small smile which he returned with one of his own. Both turned to face the television, but their minds were, in fact, a million miles away.

 

Finally, Kwang Soo found his courage. “Ji Hyo noona. When did things get this awkward? Didn't we use to be able to talk about anything, and laugh at everything? We're still friends, right?” He asked softly, studying her from the corner of his eyes. He felt a pair of delicate hands on his and glanced over.

 

“Of course, Kwang Soo... Always...” She vowed. Removing her hands from his, she brushed back her hair. “You'll always be my friend.” She assured, staring back at him.

 

Kwang Soo met her gaze and held it. “I miss our friendship. I miss being able to tease my noona about everything and getting my hair yanked about for it.” They shared a laugh, which seemed to break the ice. He stared mournfully at Ji Hyo, his eyes filled with melancholy. “But most of all... I've missed you, noona.”

 

The worst way to miss someone... Is to be sitting right beside them, knowing that you can't have them.

 

He watched as her eyes widen at his revelation, slowly softening as the surprise wore off. She regarded him with fondness. Reaching over, she ruffled his long hair affectionately. “I've missed you too!” She admitted. “Ya! And get a haircut! Your hair is so long and unruly now!” She added threateningly, causing Kwang Soo to break out in hearty laughter. It was infectious, and she joined in, giggling and slapping him on the back.

 

They stopped when Ji Hyo's phone rang. Checking her caller ID, she saw that it was her mother. Before boarding her flight at Incheon, she had called to inform her about her trip. Mrs Cheon had been taken aback at the suddenness of it and had asked a ton of questions. Ji Hyo had promised to call as soon as she landed at Christchurch to answer her mother's questions. Slapping her forehead for forgetting to call her mom, she excused herself and walked out the front door to take the call on the porch. After all, her mother was one of the three things that she feared.

 

Mrs Cheon: Seong-im ah... Have you landed? Why didn't you call? Omma was worried sick.

Ji Hyo: I'm sorry, omma. It was a long drive from the airport to Kwang Soo's house.

Mrs Cheon: Ah... You're staying with Kwang Soo-ssi. Is it safe?

Ji Hyo: Yes. New Zealand is a very safe place. Kwang Soo was kind enough to offer his room to Hyo Joo and I.

Mrs Cheon: I see. That's nice. And how is my granddaughter? Might I speak with her?

Ji Hyo: Hyo Joo is already asleep.

Mrs Cheon: And my daughter? How are you?

 

There was a pregnant pause on the line as Ji Hyo formulated her reply.

 

Mrs Cheon: Seong-im ah... You were never very good at hiding your feelings. You are rash, but you wouldn't take a trip like this all of a sudden and without your husband. Tell omma what's wrong. Did something happen at home?

 

Her mother asked in a soft voice. Ji Hyo finally broke down at the kindness in the older lady's tone. She had been keeping it in for so long. From her husband's nonchalant attitude towards their child and how that hurt her little girl, to finding him in bed with Erin and finally the humiliation of her own husband her. With tears of shame running down her face, she sobbed to her mother, wishing she were a little girl again, and that her mother could soothe her pain.

 

Ji Hyo: 2 nights ago, Chang Joo and I had a huge row. And he, he me...

Mrs Cheon: Seong-im. There is no excuse for . Ever since you got married to him, he has done nothing to endear himself to me. But I respected your decision to marry him for the sake of your unborn baby. As mothers, we all want the best for our children

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter