Arrival

Reuniting Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyo Joo looked out the window, her eyes widened in anticipation as they took in the majesty of the Southern Alps. Their plane was just passing over the mountain range that extended along much of the length of New Zealand's South Island, en route to Christchurch International Airport. “Mummy! Mummy! Look! Mountains with snow!” Hyo Joo pointed out excitedly to Ji Hyo, shaking her mother out of her reverie.

 

Smiling, Ji Hyo kissed her daughter's head and looked out the window with her, marvelling at the rugged beauty beneath her. At the sight of the snow capped mountains, the rivers and streams flowing through the pristine forests, she felt excitement gradually replace her earlier nervousness.

 

Ji Hyo had been on edge throughout the long flight. Every hour spent on the plane as it hurtled through space towards their destination, increased her anxiety. A part of her nervousness came from meeting Kwang Soo again after so long. But for the most part, Ji Hyo was worried about Hyo Joo and her well-being. She was worried that being away from her father for so long may cause Hyo Joo some separation anxiety. She was relieved that the little girl seemed to be taking it in her stride, and for the past thirteen hours, had not once asked about her father.

 

She couldn't say she was surprised as Chang Joo was rarely home. Even when he was, he made minimal effort to interact with his child. It was like he acknowledged that there was a tiny being in the house but made no attempt at making a connection.

 

Darkly, Ji Hyo recalled an incident when Hyo Joo had been tasked by her teachers to draw a picture of her family. It turned out that her daughter was gifted with an artistic streak. Hyo Joo's teacher had written a glowing review and praised the child. Excited, Hyo Joo had rushed home and shared the story with Ji Hyo, proudly showing the drawing to her mother. Ji Hyo had ooh-ed and ahh-ed at her daughter's work, proud of her little girl.

 

The teacher had wanted to pin Hyo Joo's work on the board, but Hyo Joo had insisted on bringing her drawing home to show her father. Together, mother and daughter had stayed up to wait for Chang Joo in Ji Hyo's room. Ji Hyo was just about to carry Hyo Joo, who was falling asleep, back to her room when Chang Joo returned.

 

As he entered the room, he saw Ji Hyo in their bed, still awake with their daughter, and felt his need for her stir. She was rarely awake when he got home, or she would be sleeping in their daughter's room. He wanted her. He was barely aware of his daughter coming up to him with a drawing. He smiled at her and patted her little head. Without pausing to look at her drawing, he carried her up. “Good job.” Was all he said, before carrying Hyo Joo up and taking her to her room.

 

Ji Hyo followed, intent on telling Chang Joo to pay a bit more attention to his child. She watched from the door as he gently placed their daughter on her bed. “Good night, sweet pea.” He wished, covering her up with her blanket. She heard Hyo Joo's plea to her father to read her a bedtime story, but he only patted the girl on the head before telling her that he was tired, and that he would tell her one at another time. She caught the crestfallen expression on Hyo Joo's face just before Chang Joo closed the door.

 

Looking over at Chang Joo, she saw that his eyes were dark with desire. She read the hunger in his eyes, and it wasn't hunger for food. He grabbed Ji Hyo's hands and led her to their room. As soon as he closed their door, he pressed up against her from behind. She could feel his arousal and something in her snapped.

 

“Can't you pay a bit more attention to Hyo Joo? She came home excited, wanting to show you the drawing she did! Will it kill you to give her 10 minutes of your time? All she wants from you is some love and attention. Hyo Joo needs a dad in her life, not just a donor!” She snapped hotly. Spinning around, she glared at Chang Joo. “If I wanted that, there are plenty around! Anyone can become a father. But it takes a real man to be a dad!” She scolded, storming out after that.

 

She had sought refuge with the perpetual bachelors, Jong Kook and Gary at Gary's restaurant. When Gary saw the helpless expression on Ji Hyo's face, he had opened a bottle of soju. The alcohol imbued her and she had poured her sorrows out to the men while they listened quietly.

 

Sobbing, she asked if she was a bad wife. “Jong Kook oppa. Am I a bad wife for not having with my husband? I mean, I pleasure him... I just don't want him having with me.”

 

Uncomfortable, the commander shifted his weight, trying to formulate a response. He wasn't sure if he should be privy to the information she had shared. 

 

“I'm afraid to get pregnant again...” She whispered sadly. “No, I don't want to get pregnant again and bring another ch

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter