Retrouvaille

Reuniting Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Retrouvaille - a french word meaning meeting someone after a long separation.

 

As Kwang Soo led the way to the parking lot, he watched Ji Hyo from the corner of his eyes, secretly admiring her. She held her daughter's hand and listened attentively as Hyo Joo spoke animatedly. He couldn't help but notice that while she was wearing a smile on her lips, her eyes looked a little tired and sad, although they sparkled with excitement from being in a new land.

 

Otherwise, she looked good, healthy. She wasn't as skinny as before, having filled out a little over the years. But she was still slim, even though the effects of motherhood was evident as his eyes travelled south. Her hips had grown wider, and her bum had become fuller. The physical changes served to accentuate her curves, making her appear more womanly, softer and more vulnerable. And it roused a protective instinct within him. He suddenly realised where he was staring at and quickly looked away.

 

He needn't have worried though, as Ji Hyo had not noticed Kwang Soo gawking at her. She was still engrossed with her daughter, smiling at something Hyo Joo said. Her eyes were filled with love for the little girl. The kind of love a parent has for their child. And he felt a sudden, unbidden pang of sadness.

 

While he had never given any thought on having kids and had no desire for one, a part of him wished Hyo Joo was his. He could imagine Ji Hyo and him with a kid. In his mind, he pictured Ji Hyo laughing and smiling. Her eyes filled with love for THEIR child – the ultimate symbol of their love. She would be holding on to his hand, while he carried their child on his shoulders, giving the child a bird's eye view of the surroundings as they searched for the perfect spot for a Sunday family picnic in the park.

 

The trio walked up to two cars parked side by side, facing out. The one on the left was a grey BMW 7 series, while a black pickup truck was parked on the right. Kwang Soo squeezed between the two cars as he headed to the driver's side to open the door. Ji Hyo's eyes widened. “Wow, Kwang Soo. You look like you're doing well.” She remarked.

 

Glancing back at Ji Hyo and following her line of sight, he smiled, amused. “Ji Hyo noona, this is my car.” He said, gesturing with his head to the car on right. A banged-up, 4-door black Toyota Hilux pickup truck. “That BMW isn't mine. In New Zealand, the cars are all right-hand drives. So the driver's side in this country is on the right of the car.” He explained.

 

Walking to the back of the truck, Kwang Soo opened the tailgate and placed their luggage onto the open-bed of the truck. He thanked his lucky stars that it wasn't raining today. He had brought along a large tarp to cover up the suitcases in case it did, but he preferred dry weather.

 

Opening the back passenger door for Hyo Joo, he knelt on one knee. Stretching out his hand, he acted like he was ushering the little girl into a horse-drawn carriage like a real princess. She giggled happily at the play-acting of the giraffe. Taking the hand he offered, she climbed into the back seat, all the while tightly clutching her new unicorn plush toy.

 

Once he made sure that Hyo Joo was settled in, he started for the front passenger door. He politely opened it and gestured for Ji Hyo to take a seat, before heading over to the driver's seat. “So, what would the two Princesses like to eat?” He asked, as he started the car.

 

From the reflection in the rear-view mirror, he saw Hyo Joo pout adorably. She looked exactly like Ji Hyo when she did that. She even had her mother's blank expression down flat. “Mummy is not a princess! She is a queen. She is married, so she cannot be a princess.”

 

Appalled by her daughter's behaviour, Ji Hyo turned around and rebuked Hyo Joo for being rude. She then faced Kwang Soo, mouthing an apology for her daughter's behaviour. He smiled. “It's ok, noona. No harm done. It's just kid's logic.” He chirped, shrugging good-naturedly. Continuing his play-acting, Kwang Soo raised his hands, surrendering. “I beg your pardon, Princess. I humbly apologise for my ignorance. What would the Queen and her Princess desire for breakfast?”

 

At the thought of food, both Ji Hyo and Hyo Joo grinned. Hyo Joo had inherited her mother's love of food and adventurous taste buds. On the flight over, she had asked her about the food in New Zealand. Ji Hyo wasn't sure about the type of cuisine in New Zealand and had suggested that they eat what the locals ate. She looked back at her daughter before turning to face Kwang Soo, she smiled. “Kwang Soo-ah, how about taking us for a typical New Zealand breakfast?”

 

 

Kwang Soo pulled into a quaint looking café, tucked away in a quiet corner. “I often come here for coffee when I'm in Christchurch. The owner, Lumes takes pride in his coffee. He roasts the coffee beans on the premises for optimal freshness. It is totally daebak!” He explained, watching as the smile on Ji Hyo's face widen. As she moved her hand to brush away a stray strand of hair, a sliver of morning ray caught on Ji Hyo's wedding ring. The light that reflected off the diamond caught Kwang Soo's attention, and a sudden thought crossed his mind. “Oh wait, noona you aren't pregnant, are you? Because if you are- OUCH!”

 

Ji Hyo slapped the back of his head. Hard. “Noona wants her coffee. Now!” She commanded. Hyo Joo giggled at Kwang Soo's whipped-dog expression, thrilled at finally being able to see for herself how her mother manhandled the giraffe. She had heard so much about it from Uncle Suk Jin.

 

“Although the menu is simple, they focus on quality and value for money. The housemade waffles are a real treat! Why don't you and Hyo Joo find a table and I'll get breakfast?” Kwang Soo suggested as he rubbed his head.

 

Ji Hyo found a spot by the window and observed Kwang Soo while he waited to place their order. “Mummy, why did uncle Kwang Soo ask if you are pregnant? Are you?” Hyo Joo asked.

 

Smiling at her daughter, Ji Hyo shook her head. “No, sweetie. Mummy isn't pregnant. But your daddy and I are married. And sometimes, married people have babies. Drinking coffee is bad for babies growing in mummies. So Uncle Kwang Soo just wanted to make sure.”

 

Hyo Joo pouted. “Aww... I would've liked a little brother. Can you and daddy make me one? And where do babies come from?” She a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter