Halcyon

Reuniting Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Halcyon: Middle English word to mean calm; peaceful; tranquil

 

“Ninety-nine bottles of Cola on the wall, ninety-nine bottles of Cola. Take one down, pass it around, ninety-eight bottles of Cola on the wall...” Kwang Soo led the song while Hyo Joo joined in from the backseat. Ji Hyo laughed and clapped along next to him. The trio was on their way down to Wanaka where they would have afternoon tea with Eun Soo before continuing their journey into Queenstown.

 

Over breakfast, Kwang Soo had made a call to his friend down in Queenstown, making arrangements to take mother and daughter out for a day's horse-back riding. When he broke the news to the little girl at the breakfast table, she shrieked happily.

 

“Uncle Kwang Soo, you're the best! Daebak!” She had exclaimed and hugged him tightly, surprising everyone at the table by her show of affection, and the honest but innocent comment.

 

They planned to stay the night in Queenstown before getting up for an early morning ride along the shores of Lake Wakatipu. Eun Soo had tagged along, trailing them in her car. Her break from work was over, and she had received a call from her practice to inoculate a flock of sheep in Wanaka, so they were driving down together before parting ways at the town.

 

Kwang Soo observed the happy child through the reflection in the rearview mirror. She was singing along cheerfully and looking out the window in wide-eyed wonder, trying her best to spot a wild unicorn, thrilled at the prospect of being able to ride one. After having breakfast, the siblings had sent their parents to the nearby domestic airport in Greymouth to catch their flight back to Auckland. As they headed back to the car, the child had grabbed his hand excitedly and asked if she would be able to ride a unicorn. Kwang Soo had smiled and nodded. As a result, Hyo Joo had been in an excitable mood all morning.

 

The drive to Wanaka would take them almost five hours through winding mountain roads, beautiful lakes and river crossings. The views were breathtaking, but by the second hour the little girl was tuckered out and laid on the backseat snoozing. The sight warmed Kwang Soo's heart. Hyo Joo was an exact mini replica of her mother. Everything from the way drooped open as she slept, to the way she had pulled her little hands into her jacket to keep warm, reminded him of Ji Hyo and he let out a hearty chuckle. Ji Hyo, who had been quietly admiring and taking in the sights before her, turned to him, her eyebrows arched in question.

 

“It's nothing really... I know I've said it before, but Hyo Joo totally looks like you. Everything from her facial features, to her mannerisms. That open-mouthed way of sleeping, and how she tucks her hands into her jacket. It's all you! I can't see her father in her.” He remarked, before belatedly realising the implication of his words. “Erm, not that I'm insinuating that you had multiple partners and that Chang Joo isn't actually the man who fathered Hyo Joo. I'm sure you know full well who is the father and–” He stopped as he looked over to find Ji Hyo staring sadly back out the front window, tears b in her eyes.

 

“I'm so sorry. Please don't cry. I didn't mean to cause any offence.” He apologised. “You know me... I always end up with my foot in my mouth. Here, you can pull my hair.” He said softly, lowering himself in the seat and offering his head to her. He heard a soft giggle. Glancing over, he saw Ji Hyo grinning. It had all been an act.

 

“Hehehe... You should've seen your face, my dear giraffe! It was hilarious! Hah! I've still got it!” She exclaimed, proud of her acting prowess.

 

“It's not funny... I seriously thought that I had hurt your feelings. I would never do that on purpose. You should know that.” He mumbled.

 

Touched, Ji Hyo reached over and held his hand that was on the gear stick. “I know... I'm sorry. You're the sweetest. I love you.” She declared softly, before reaching up and planting a soft kiss on his cheeks.

 

“Mummy! You love Uncle Kwang Soo? Does that mean we can stay here?!” Hyo Joo shrieked excitedly from the backseat while the adults exchanged a look.

 

Turning around, Ji Hyo faced her child. “Sweetie... We can't stay here, we have to go back. Our life is back in Korea. You have classes to attend.” She explained gently. “Don't you miss school and your friends? And your father?” She asked carefully, broaching the subject that had been shelved for most of their trip.

 

“Daddy hasn't called or spoken to Hyo Joo since we came.” The girl replied softly, looking down sadly at her lap. “I don't think daddy loves me.” She whispered, before climbing from the back seat to the front passenger seat, and onto her mother's lap.

 

Ji Hyo wrapped her arms around her daughter, nuzzling her. “Your father loves you, Hyo Joo-ah. Never doubt or forget that. He may not love you the way you want him to, but it doesn't mean he loves you any less.” She assured. “He will always be your father. That will never change. Without him, there would be no Hyo Joo. Understand?” She added, watching as her daughter nodded to show her understanding.

 

“Mummy? Why is it without daddy, Hyo Joo wouldn't be here?” The child asked innocently.

 

Ji Hyo's face coloured as she struggled to find an answer. She knew she would have to tackle this question one day. And to be honest, she'd rather Hyo Joo asked this than to continue questioning her father's love for her. She also knew that it was best to be as matter-of-fact as possible, but it was easier said than done.

 

She kept her eyes on the road, avoiding eye contact with her daughter. It allowed her to stay relaxed and answer Hyo Joo's question calmly. From the corner of her eye, she saw Kwang Soo shift uncomfortably. He had remained quiet throughout the whole conversation. He felt every bit like an outsider, like he wasn't privy to the details. Still, sensing how nervous Ji Hyo was, he reached over and gave her knee a soft squeeze, silently offering his support.

 

Smiling to herself, Ji Hyo her daughter's hair. Taking a deep breath, she tried her best to explain. “Well, in order to have Hyo Joo, is actually an amazing thing: A seed from your daddy and an egg from mummy joins together in mummy's tummy. That's where you grew — in a special sack there called, the womb till you were ready to meet the world. Like Duchess's baby.” Ji Hyo said, hoping that Hyo Joo would be satisfied with that explanation. To her relief, the child nodded and seemed to get distracted by the thought of horses.

 

“Uncle Kwang Soo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter