The ride

Reuniting Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

To everyone who stuck by my story, thank you for your patience. Apologies for the long break between updates. I have been in and out of the country for work. Also, I have been having frequent writer’s block.

Thanks to AK and jcat for the many counselling sessions. This story is winding to a close. And to be honest, this author is looking forward to it. This has been a tiring work of love.

Cheers everyone! And a belated Happy Lunar New Year to those who celebrate it!

 

 

“Hey, Jess!” Kwang Soo called out cheerfully to the lady sitting on a chair on the front porch, reading the morning paper as he exited his truck.

 

At the sound of her name being called, Jess looked up to see Kwang Soo coming up her driveway, leading a woman and a young child. She smiled broadly in greeting, waving back to the three of them before jogging over. She had bright burgundy coloured hair, and her freckles stood out on her pale skin. The redhead greeted her friend with a hug, before turning her attention to the pair as Kwang Soo introduced them.

 

“Jess, these are my friends that I was telling you about. This is Ji Hyo, my ex-colleague and her daughter, Hyo Joo.”

 

Jess took Ji Hyo's hand in a firm handshake and greeted her, speaking with a slight Irish lilt. “You're so pretty. No wonder this lad is nuts over you.” She teased, nudging Kwang Soo and making Ji Hyo blush with the compliment.

 

Seeing how shy Hyo Joo appeared to be around the tall European lady, Kwang Soo attempted to draw her out. “Hyo Joo loves horses. Don't you, Princess? She especially loves unicorns.” He drawled, winking at Jess. Jess laughed loudly.

 

“Ah yes, dear one... I've heard a lot about you. Would you like to see a unicorn?” She asked kindly, her blue eyes twinkling in the morning sunlight.

 

At the mention of the word, unicorn, Hyo Joo came out from behind her mother, nodding her head enthusiastically. Jess knelt so that she was eye level to the little girl. “Ok, dear one... Follow Auntie Jess, ok?” She said. Gently taking Hyo Joo's hand, she led the way while Kwang Soo and Ji Hyo followed closely behind. Passing the house, they came to a paddock. Tied to the fence, was a grey pony with a single horn on its forehead.

 

Both mother and daughter let out a surprised gasp at the sight. Jess led Hyo Joo over and handed her an apple. Speaking softly, she introduced the girl to the pony, “This is Merrylegs, and he has been looking forward to meeting you. Let's go give him an apple!” She encouraged. Hyo Joo nodded eagerly, b with excitement as Jess showed her how to hold the apple in the palm of her hand and feed Merrylegs. The little girl was giddy with happiness and giggled happily as she patted Merrylegs. She looked back at her mother and the giraffe, beaming at them.

 

Like her mother, Hyo Joo seemed to have a connection with animals and instinctively sensed that any loud sounds might frighten the pony. So she spoke softly, containing her elation. “You are so daebak. This is such an honour.” She murmured, as she Merrylegs. As if sensing the compliment paid to him, the pony nuzzled the child, his long eyelashes tickled the girl, and she let out a little giggle.

 

From a distance, Ji Hyo and Kwang Soo watched the interaction. Ji Hyo turned to Kwang Soo who had a big grin on his face. “See? I told you I wouldn't let you down.”

 

“How did you manage this? It can't be real, but it looks so life-like.” She breathed, her voice filled with wonder.

 

Kwang Soo smiled softly. “Jess is a horse trainer by trade, but she also doubles up as a props maker during crunch time at Weta Workshop. It's the same place that does the costumes, and props for the Lord of The Ring movies.” He explained, smiling proudly at his friend as she walked over with Hyo Joo. “Weta Workshop has won several awards over the years, including an Oscar for Best Costume and Jess was part of that team.” He added.

 

Ji Hyo stared wide-eyed at the Irish lady before her. “Wow, daebak!” She marvelled, flashing Jess a thumbs up.

 

“Aye, now my lad... Don't be going about telling her untruths. I am only an apprentice props maker. The credit goes to Richard Taylor and the senior artists. I merely carried out their design ideas.” Jess said humbly, her lilt becoming more pronounced in her embarrassment.

 

“Well, I reckon you still did a banged-up job in order for them to win.” Kwang Soo argued.

 

Jess turned the attention away from herself by gesturing to the other horses that were tethered to the fence. “I've already tacked-up the horses we'll be riding today. Let me introduce you guys to them.” She said and led them over to the horses. She started from Merrylegs who was the closest to the group. “This is Merrylegs, as you may have heard. He is a Shetland Pony. And a plucky one at that. He also doubles up as a unicorn.” Jess quipped, winking at the adults.

 

Ji Hyo reached over and patted Merryleg's head. His fur was coarse and dense, perfect for withstanding the harsh winter of the Shetland Isles where his breed had originated. It was also ideal for the cold and wet New Zealand winters, and its cool summers. She went to give his neck a good scratch while studying his face. It seemed his bridle had been altered to hold the horn. The pony's mane was long and thick and hid the base of the horn perfectly.

 

Ji Hyo wondered if the glue used to attach the horn to the bridle might result in an allergic reaction in the pony. Reading the look of concern that flashed across the actress' face, Jess placed her hand on Ji Hyo's shoulders and softly squeezed. “Don't worry, my lass. I used medical adhesive to affix the horn. It's one that has been used worldwide and is the industry standard for use in the professional medical prosthetic and special effects make-up industries. Completely non-toxic and wouldn't cause a reaction to Merrylegs.” She explained patiently.

 

Moving along, she passed an apple to Ji Hyo, who promptly kept it in her pockets as the Irish led the group over to a black gelding. “Ji Hyo, this will be your horse. His name is Spirit. I understand that you have a fair bit of experience with horses and riding? This guy will be perfect for you. Although he is highly spirited, he is gentle and eager to please.” She told her.

 

“Hello, Spirit.” Ji Hyo greeted. “Let's have a good time together, ok?” She asked softly, before reaching out to let him sniff her. Respecting the beast before her by slowly introducing herself to him, seeking his permission to pat him. Unlike Merrylegs, Spirit's coat was smooth and soft. It shined in a blue-black sheen under the morning light. His brown eyes reflected a gentle, but inquisitive nature. He nosed around Ji Hyo's pockets, smelling the apple that Jess had passed to her earlier. He nickered softly, his eyes pleading.

 

Ji Hyo laughed. “Oh, do you want this big guy?” She quizzed as she took the apple out from her pockets. Spirit whinnied loudly and tossed his head happily, stomping his feet and pawing the ground impatiently. Ji Hyo chuckled as she presented the gelding with the apple in her open palms. As he ate, she spoke softly to the horse. Building trust with the animal.

 

As Ji Hyo bonded with her horse, Hyo Joo quietly watched by Kwang Soo's side. It was through her observations of her mother, that gave the little girl an innate understanding of animals. It taught her how to react and interact with them.

 

Ji Hyo beamed happily back at Kwang Soo, and he melted at the sight. Catching the amused look Jess gave him, he cleared his throat and gestured for her to continue. Smirking, the Irish led them over to the last horse that was tethered to the fence. “Right... Kwang Soo, as usual, you will be on Kenny.” She instructed, stopping in front of a large horse. Kenny was a classic dun. His coat was a sandy yellow, and his mane and tail were black with a dark stripe running down the middle of his back.

 

The big dun looked up at their approach. His ears pricked forward, he stared attentively at the humans. Upon recognising his owner and the tall man, he neighed loudly in greeting. Kwang Soo smiled as he reached into his pockets. He had came prepared, and had brought along some mints which were Kenny's favourite. Unwrapping one, he held it up for Kenny who snorted excitedly as he enjoyed the treat. He felt Kenny's soft, fuzzy lips lapping up the mint into his mouth, and heard the crunching of the mint. He the dun's head, waiting patiently for Kenny to lift his head from his hand so he could pull his hand back.

 

Ji Hyo and Hyo Joo stared open-mouthed at the large dun gelding before them. Although she had some experience riding, Ji Hyo had never seen a horse as large as Kenny up close. “Kenny is a very big horse.” She marvelled as she turned to Jess.

 

Jess smiled. “Kenny is part draft horse. His sire is a Shire horse while his dam is a normal riding horse.” She told Ji Hyo. “He is also the largest horse I have, so he fits Kwang Soo seeing how that tall that lad is.”

 

After helping everyone up on their horses, Jess went into the stables and came back out riding her own horse. Jess's horse was called, Florian. He was a magnificent white Andalusian stallion, famed for playing the part of Arwen's mount, Asfaloth in the Lord of the Rings movies. Viggo Mortenson, who played the role of Aragorn, purchased Florian for her after filming on the movies wrapped.

 

Florian was Jess's pride and joy. “He is usually gentle, but he can get a bit fiesty, especiall

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter