The father

Reuniting Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chang Joo paced the driveway anxiously. It helped calm his nerves and eased his guilt. Using the address that Ji Hyo had sent him, he had arrived at the boy's place about an hour ago, hoping to find his wife and child at home as it was nearly dinner time. However, to his surprise, the lights in the house were turned off. Knocking on the front door, he discovered that the house was empty. Looking around, he found that there wasn't a vehicle in the driveway.

 

Perhaps they went out for a daytrip?

 

Ludicrous ideas ran through his head. Perhaps Ji Hyo had somehow gotten wind of his affair with Erin being aired and had taken Hyo Joo away from him? Or maybe she was engaging in an adulterous liaison herself? Taking a deep breath, he tried to calm himself. He was overreacting. She would never do any of that. He had been in a state of unease ever since the press broke the news of his affair to the world.

 

Taking the first flight out of Korea, he had arrived in Greymouth airport via a domestic flight from Christchurch. He then called a cab to drive him over to the address given by Ji Hyo. And here he was, standing in the driveway of the small cottage owned by the man he was sure his wife still loved. For the first time in a long time, he was unsure of what he was doing. Unsure as to what he was doing here, of what he hoped to achieve from this. One thing he did know though, was that Ji Hyo deserved to hear the story from him, and not second-hand information from a gossip website.

 

Hearing the sounds of tires on gravel, Chang Joo looked up to see a banged-up black pickup truck slowly making its way up the windy road and into the driveway. The deliberate and careful way in which the driver drove, gave the impression that he/she was carrying precious cargo. Making gradual turns and breaking gently so as not to jolt the passengers. Finally, the truck came to a stop a few metres away from him. Chang Joo found himself frowning at the loud rumbling sounds of the diesel engine.

 

How could anyone bring themselves to drive such a piece of crap.

 

He scoffed, but it quickly turned to joy as he heard the door to the truck open, and Hyo Joo's familiar girly voice calling out to him.

 

“Daddy!”

 

He smiled at his offspring. He had been proud of his virility. Despite Ji Hyo's insistence on using protection, he had managed to father a child. And now, he watched as the proof of it ran to him with her arms stretched out. Reaching down, he gave her an affectionate pat on the head. Distracted by the sight of the pair sitting side by side in the car, he failed to see the look of utter disappointment that flashed across his daughter's face. He watched as they traded words in the car. Although he couldn't hear them, it left a sour taste in his mouth.

 

As they exited the vehicle, he observed how Kwang Soo walked next to Ji Hyo, offering support and protection. He was also carrying their overnight bags. Had they spent the night together? Chang Joo didn't like it, not one bit. She was his. She was his woman, the mother of his child. He felt a sudden sense of possessiveness rise up and consume him.

 

When the pair stopped in front of him, Chang Joo reached for Ji Hyo, pulling her into a hug, claiming her. He wanted to show the boy that Ji Hyo was his. He remembered when she had been pregnant with his child. Her belly swollen, the funny little way she walked. Everyone, especially Kwang Soo, knew that he was the one responsible. That he was the one that made her that way. She belonged to him.

 

Chang Joo felt her return the hug stiffly and made a move to kiss her, feeling embarrassed when she moved away and his lips landed in the air. He gave the boy credit for not laughing or appearing smug. He shifted his attention to the taller man and greeted him. The tension between the two men was so palpable, everyone could feel it. It hung so thickly in the air, one could cut it with a knife. From the corner of his eye, he saw his daughter take Ji Hyo's hand and look up at his wife for reassurance. She looked lost and scared.

 

Chang Joo heard Kwang Soo clearing his throat and gesturing towards the house. Politely, the younger man offered to take his bags for him before leading him and his family out of the chilly evening air, and into the warm home. Chang Joo suddenly felt shameful. Ashamed that a younger man had more sense than he did to soothe the situation. He felt silly and childish for acting that way.

 

The boy even had the sense to call his dog to stay outside the house as he had an allergy to animal fur. In an attempt to be magnanimous, Chang Joo waved it aside and told the younger man that he would be fine so long as the dog kept his distance.

 

Kwang Soo brought them into a spacious and airy room with an ensuite bathroom. The walls were painted blue and in the middle of the room was a large king-sized bed. Chang Joo suspected that the room was the master bedroom and that the boy probably slept here. The room, however, smelt like a combination of his wife and child. Their individual scents infused the room. Ji Hyo's fresh lemony fragrance combined with the sweet scent of grapes from Hyo Joo's children's shampoo. It comforted him.

 

He was grateful for Kwang Soo's sensitivity. The boy had picked up on the fact that he would like to speak to his wife alone. He was impressed when Kwang Soo engaged his daughter, sending the girl away on an errand. However, when the boy had threatened him, he had been affronted. He realised that Ji Hyo must have told him about how he had her. He couldn't believe she would share that with him. Yes, he was in the wrong, but she needn't have told him that. But his outrage soon gave way to acceptance when he realised that he had no right to be. He had been the one at fault, and she had probably wanted a listening ear.

 

As soon as Kwang Soo closed the door, he turned to face Ji Hyo. Sighing, he leaned his back tiredly against the door and closed his eyes. The long flight over had left him exhausted, and the emotional roller coaster he had been on, had drained his energy. He felt something cool pressed into his hand and opened his eyes.

 

 

Ji Hyo heard Chang Joo sighing loudly. Facing her husband, she found herself studying him. His eyes were closed, and he looked tired. There were dark circles under his eyes, and the normally immaculately groomed CEO had a five o'clock shadow growing. The short dark stubble peppered his chin and upper lip, making him appear older than he was. H

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter