Epilogue

Reuniting Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Ya! Lee Kwang Soo! Are you done? Hurry up! We have to pick Hyo Joo up from school!” Ji Hyo called out to the giraffe, hurrying him along.

 

“Coming! Coming!” Kwang Soo yelled. Grabbing his car keys, he threw on a thick coat. Mother and daughter had been staying with him now for a little over half a year. Summer had given way to a cold, wet winter. But having the pair here with him brought immense warmth into his life despite the cold outside. During this time, Kwang Soo had expanded his house, adding another bedroom with an attached bath where Ji Hyo and her daughter slept. Moving in had been an easy, noisy and joyous affair, with Kwang Soo's friends and neighbours pitching in to help.

 

Thanks to Kwang Soo's forward thinking in opening a joint bank account with Ji Hyo as a step in their civil union. It made it easy for mother and child to move over to the country and begin their new life. Ji Hyo had flown back to Seoul a couple of times for work. But each time, she was able to leave with her mind at ease, due to the close relationship her daughter had with Kwang Soo. She knew that he would take good care of her daughter and would do his best to ensure that the child had all the love and attention she needed.

 

As Kwang Soo hurried over to where Ji Hyo was currently waiting for him, he the ring in his pocket, making sure he still had it. He had been keeping the ring in his pocket for over a week, gradually working up the words and nerves to ask for her hand in marriage. He suddenly imagined himself as Bilbo Baggins, and fiddling with the one ring in his pocket. The mental image he conjured of himself as a diminutive, fictional being with unusually large hairy feet made him chuckle with the absurdity.

 

Ji Hyo, who failed to see the hilarity of the situation, narrowed her eyes at him, mistaking his mirth for being laughter directed at her. Kwang Soo immediately zipped his mouth. Chivalrously, he opened the door for her, and she exited the house with Fang at her heels. The large dog turned his head to look back at his owner, snorting loudly, as if to say. “Come on, mate! Get your act together!” before turning and following the female to the truck. Once she opened the door for him, he jumped into the backseat.

 

Kwang Soo smiled at their interaction, at how well-oiled they were. He quickly jogged over as an impatient Ji Hyo reached over to the driver's side and honked the horn. He was mildly frightened that the woman would take the wheels.

 

 

Turning on the lights in the kitchen, Kwang Soo leaned against the counter, sighing softly. He shook his head, berating himself as he poured himself a glass of water.

 

You had the perfect opportunity this evening at the beach, but you let it slip through your fingers. Idiot!

 

 

Kwang Soo and Ji Hyo were at the beach. They watched as Hyo Joo and Fang engaged in a game of fetch a few metres from them. The child threw the stick and laughed loudly and joyously as the huge dog chased after it. The cold salty sea breeze kissed the couple's face, and the cool sand tickled their bare feet as they stood side by side, watching their respective kids play. Ji Hyo leaned her head against his shoulder, her heart filled with peace and contentment. Kwang Soo took in her scent. It filled his heart with serenity, warmth and love. As her long locks blew about in the wind, tickling his neck, Kwang Soo played with the ring in his pocket.

 

The beach was quiet at this time of day, in the late winter of August, only the squawking of gulls accompanied the girlish giggles of the little girl and the booming bark of the excited canine. After picking Hyo Joo up from her school, the trio had had a small picnic by the beach, in celebration of Ji Hyo's 36th birthday. Kwang Soo had even baked a nice molten chocolate cake which proved a hit with mother and daughter. The pair had polished it from their plates in a matter of minutes, resulting in Hyo Joo's chocolate splattered uniform.

 

Gripping the ring firmly in his hand, he turned determinedly to  Ji Hyo. Looking at her, he noticed a smudge of chocolate on her cheeks. Forgetting his intent, he reached for her and tenderly wiped it off. “Ya, you eat exactly like your daughter. So messy.” He chided gently. The corners of his eyes crinkled, as an amused smile took shape, and his eyes softened at the image of a chocolate covered Ji Hyo.

 

Ji Hyo reached up and touched the cheek he had wiped clean. Embarrassment flooded her as she thought about how unglamorous, how unladylike she must appear to him. He reached for her hands and held them. “Don't.” He stated simply, shaking his head. “You are beautiful to me always. Everything about you is. From the opened-mouth way that you eat. To that lion's mane in the morning.” He teased, a crooked smile on his lips.

 

His eyes were tender and truthful as he paid her the honest compliment, causing Ji Hyo to blush shyly and look away. “Happy birthday, my love. May we spend many more birthdays together.” She heard him say fondly. Looking up at the gentle smile he had on, she knew that he would never judge her and her heart swelled with love for him.

 

Kwang Soo watched how her eyes filled with love for him and decided that this was the moment. He was about to propose when Ji Hyo reached up and placed a kiss on his lips, surprising him. He pulled away quickly, afraid that Hyo Joo would bear witness to the display of affection. They had only ever sneaked secret kisses in the dead of the night when Hyo Joo was asleep. He threw a concerned glance in the little girl's direction.

 

Upon seeing the frown on his face, Ji Hyo put her hand on his arm, allaying his worries. “It's ok. Relax, Kwang Soo-dear. Hyo Joo knows we're in love. I've explained things to her, and she understands. She's a bright girl. She knows more than she lets on.” She assured.

 

Abashed, he scratched his head. “I just... I just didn't want Hyo Joo to misunderstand, or to ask you difficult questions that's all.” He explained.

 

Touched, Ji Hyo smiled sweetly back at him. “You're the sweetest, most considerate man I know. Thank you.” She took his arm and put it around her waist before leaning into him, sharing his warmth in the chilly evening air. She observed the waves as they crashed onto the beach, blissfully happy to be spending this moment with him. After a couple

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter