008

Yuna Inspired: Our Virtual Family [Luhan Version]
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Morning." Hana said to Luhan, who walked downstairs with Taeyang. She was in the kitchen, preparing food. "He's awake?"

"Yeah, I heard him talking to himself in your room while I was getting dressed, so I peeked in and saw him without you." Luhan explained. "Are you making the lunch for the baseball members?"

Hana nodded, "Yep. Coach reminded me yesterday about the practice playoff."

The practice playoff was a pretense baseball game practice where Coach Yunho split the team into two groups and made them play as if it was the playoff. It happened once every two weeks. It was a training strategy he used to determine the pacing of his team and athletic health.

"Need help carrying it? He'll understand why I'm late." Luhan said, putting Taeyang down in the nursery center. He walked over, "Where's mine?" His was usually in a blue colored box wrapped around a white sheet while the others were in the brown container. "I don't see it."

"You thought I'd make you one?" Hana said. "Pabo, you have a girlfriend now, so she's making yours."

"You...you told Krystal?" Luhan asked, disappointed. I wanted to eat yours.

Hana turned around, "I called to remind her because it seemed that you didn't tell her. That's mean of you." She silently exhaled, "Besides, I really want her to know that we have nothing together at all." She turned back, "Girls are insecure, and I don't want her to be insecure about something that isn't true." She glared at Luhan, "You know, that's your job."

Luhan grabbed a honey lemon slice and ate it, "What's my job?"

"To never make your girlfriend feel insecure." Hana said. She glanced at the clock, "Ah! You're going to be late if you don't rush now! Hurry!" She ran over to the counter, "Here, I couldn't make breakfast in time, so eat these." She handed him three hand-made rice ball. "Don't worry, I put extra meat. Now, go!" She shoved him outside the door, handing him his bag and fixing his attire, "Gosh, why are you always leaving at the last minute?" She smiled, watching him go, "See you at school!"

Luhan turned back, "Hey, don't be late to the training! I want you to see something!"

"Okay!" Hana shouted, promising him.

As Luhan paced outside, he felt loved. And, it wasn't the love of a pretense husband and wife. But love between a family, a very bonded family. Something he hadn't felt or seen or experienced. Walking to school, he thought back to his biological family. His parents were never lovey-dovey in front of them. It wasn't that he'd like to see any public display of affection from his parents, but they were always doing their own thing. The only conversations they had were at the dinner table, and it was always something related to passing the salt, or the miso, or the rice. Not once had he seen his mother wake up to make breakfast for his father. Not once had he seen his mother fix his father's tie before he went off to his conferences. Not once had he seen his mother make a lunch for his father. Not once...had his parents ever cared for each other as much as his own virtual family.

As Luhan silently compared the two families, he was happy. It was a new feeling and a new experience. It was something he had always wanted and finally received. Stopping at a corner, the green walking sign turned red, and he stopped to wait. Reality hit him when he saw a mother with a child standing from across laughing with one another as they also waited for the light to switch.

We're not a real family. The red sign turned green and Luhan started walking on the crosswalk. Passing by them, he avoided looking at them. We can never be a real family.

*

When Hana was heading to her class, outside the door was Xiumin on his knees, raising his hands. "Xiumin?"

"Yo, Hana." Xiumin unpleasantly smiled.

"What's wrong? Class hasn't started, so who'd you get in trouble by?"

"Luna." Xiumin said. "This is the beginning of my punishment."

"Punishment?" Hana asked. "What did you do to her?"

The window above Xiumin's head slid open and out peeked Luna, "Hana, you're here! Come in. Don't talk to Xiumin. He's being punished right now." Luna stared down at Xiumin, "Fifteen more minutes. If you cheat, you are not getting lunch, and I'll tell Gayoon lies about you!" She shut the window.

"Hana, please tell Luna ssi it wasn't my fault." Xiumin pleaded. Whenever Xiumin used 'ssi' at the end of Luna's name, Xiumin was already nervous.

Hana blinked. "Uh, sure..." She opened her classroom door, "See you in fifteen minutes." She knew she couldn't do anything or else Luna would also punish her, something that had happened once...and she would never want to go through it again. Just like Xiumin had said, sitting on your knees and raising your hands were really the beginning of the punishment. Luna was very creative with her torture, something anybody would want a quick death rather than being abused by Luna.

Entering the classroom, she walked over to Luna and Lay, "Hey, you guys."

"Hana, you tell me everything or you'll be punished, too." Said Luna.

Hana sat down on her chair, "What did we do?"

"Xiumin told us that you guys all had dinner together." Lay started.

"Why were you with Chanyeol?" Luna asked, straight to the point. "Now, I really want to know your guys' relationship. You said you had nothing with his friend Baekhyun, so does that mean you had something with this Chanyeol?"

Hana sighed, "Luna, I have nothing with either one of them. We are all just friends."

"Then, why did that Baekhyun friend leave Seoul to the countryside like what Chanyeol had said?" Luna continued her questions and asked, "Chanyeol said that it was because of something you said."

"About growing up." Lay added.

"Luna-"

"I just want to know because I'm worried." Luna confessed. Luna looked at her boyfriend and then continued, "Xiumin said that Krystal and Chanyeol had dated before."

"What?"

Luna and Lay nodded. "Yeah."

"Chanyeol and Krystal? Dated?" Hana asked, wanting to confirm. "Well, even if they did, what's wrong with that?"

"Okay, Xiumin told us what happened, which I think what you did was correct- but let's forget that for now. But when Xiumin secretly followed Krystal and Gayoon home, he overheard Gayoon saying something about telling Krystal to stop whatever she was planning to do to you."

Hana pointed to herself, "Me? Krystal is going to do something to me?"

Luna nodded, "That's why I am worried. Who knows what that girl has on her mind?"

"Xiumin must've heard wrong." Hana said, defending Krystal.

"If he did, why did he hear Krystal say that she's just pretending to go out with Luhan?"

"...'pretending'...?"

"That's right. That was also what we told you, too. Remember, from our conversation from the rooftop?" Luna asked.

Hana sighed. She didn't want to believe it. She was already hesitant when her friends told her. She knew her friends wouldn't make lies like this. Below the window, she saw Luhan dashing into the school after training. Luhan...is being played around with?

*

Hana hadn't gotten a chance to speak with Luhan at all today. He was in class, but during every class break, Luhan would be pacing down the hall as practice for the virtual baseball game after school. Even at lunch, he was only there for a short time to eat and then went back to pacing around the school. It was one of those days where Hana didn't bother Luhan and Luhan didn't bother Hana. That was one way Hana showed support for him.

Now, it was afterschool. Class just barely ended and Hana was getting her stuff and the lunch she had carried all by herself to leave to the baseball court. Her job for days like this was to bring lunch for the team. She got the job when she first went to one of the games and being seen with honey lemon slices for snacks, Coach Yunho begged her to be the team's cook for special days. She couldn't refuse the offer because Luhan would always tease that her cooking would just make the team lose and she decided to prove him wrong. It was then that it became a habit of keeping up with the baseball schedule.

Luna picked up her bag, "Heading over there?"

Hana nodded, "Yeah. Luhan texted me during class that Coach Yunho will make it on time, so I don't have to rush over to help set up. Want to tag along?"

"Yeah, Lay was planning to drop by for support." Luna said. She looked back, "Lay, you ready? Let's leave with Hana."

Lay nodded from his desk.

"I'll help you bring some." Luna took Hana's bag and a few bags that had the lunch boxes. "Now that you're doing this," Luna whispered, "it seems that you guys are resembling more and more like a real family."

Hana blinks, "Eh?"

"I think you're doing fine, now, right?" Luna asked.

Lay rushed over to help open the door and also took a few bags from Hana's hands.

"Thanks." Luna said to her boyfriend. Turning back to Hana, she said, "We'll talk later."

*

"Krystal. Gayoon." Hana said, greeting her at the entrance of the school, "You made it."

"Hi," the girls said.

Krystal looked around, "Where's Luhan? What are those bags?"

Gayoon came over, "I'll help you carry, too."

Hana smiled, giving a few to Gayoon, "Thank you. These are the lunch boxes for the team. I'm usually in charge of this." She looked back at Krystal, "Let's head over to the field."

Arriving at the field, they saw Xiumin was already helping out. He was Luhan's number one die-hard fan. When Xiumin saw his friends, he rushed to come over, but as he near them, he saw Gayoon behind them and was even more excited that he ran passed his friends. “Gayoon, you came, too?!"

Gayoon bowed to greet him, "Hello. Hana invited me."

Xiumin looked back at Hana and flashed a thankful smile. Seeing this, Hana laughed.

"Ohh, Luhan's wifey," Coach Yunho said from behind.

The gang turned back and Krystal and Gayoon became blank.

Noticing, Hana stood up, "Coach, I'm not Luhan's wife." She sprinted over and whispered, "Luhan has a girlfriend now, and she's over there. Please don't call me that anymore. She'll misunderstand."

"Girlfriend?" Yunho whispered back, "He didn't tell me anything!" He sighed, "Although I'm glad for him, it kind of hurts that a good couple like you two aren't together."

"Yunho." Hana said, a big angry. "We'll never get together."

"It doesn't hurt to dream, right?" Yunho said. "Besides, you two are still young, still inexperienced. I think when the right time comes, the both of you will realize how important the other one is to the other."

Hana blinked a couple of times, "What do you mean?"

Yunho laughed so hard that the friends were confused at what he had said to Hana. Patting Hana's head, he continued, "Never mind what I said." He walked over to Krystal and Gayoon, "So, I hear one of you is that Luhan the brat's girlfriend, who is it?"

"Yes," Krystal said, greeting Coach Yunho, "I'm Krystal. Jung, Krystal."

"Oi...you will face hardships dating a guy like him." Sitting on the bench alongside Luna, Yunho expanded his conversation, "I mean, hardships as in you'll always be mentally and physically tired. He just has too much stamina to provoke you. He loves teasing people, but he will never cross the line. So, you're a lucky girl."

Krystal laughed, "No, he's a good guy. He's thoughtful, and he always makes sure I'm comfortable. He hardly teases me." But, he does it often to Hana.

"Coach!!!" It was a running Luhan. Coming from where Yunho had arrived, he stopped when he saw his friends. "Yo, guys."

Luna looked off into the field, "Which team are you in?"

"Team B." Luhan happily smirked and came over to Hana, "I'm with Jongsuk sunbaenim." He leaned in to whisper into Hana's ear, "He asked if you were coming to see us play."

Lee Jongsuk was what Hana's friends considered as her crush. But, Hana wasn't sure if that was the correct word. She respected and admired him for his athletic professionalism and teamwork ethics. She first saw him last year as a first-year high school student when she was dragged by her friends to go support Luhan in his match and saw Jongsuk concentrating and fell in love with his hard work and passionate dedication to the team and to baseball. Due to the fact that he was a year older and in different classes, they hardly passed by one another. Baseball practice afterschool was where she mainly saw him.

Hana excitedly gasped. Turning around abruptly, she bumped noses with Luhan. "Ouch!" She shoved him, "Why didn't you move?"

"Pabo, who told you to turn around so suddenly?!" Luhan massaged his nose. Am I bleeding?

"Because...you..." She shyly looked down and scratched the side of her jaw, showing her uneasiness. "...you said...Jongsuk sunbaenim."

Luhan laughed out loud. Pointing at Hana, he said, "As if he'd ask about you!"

Realizing that Luhan had lied to her, she became enraged. "You big dolt!" She started chasing after him around.

Everyone present started laughing.

"Have fun, but the game will start in ten." Coach Yunho stood up and walked away "I've got to prepare some things, too. See you later, kids." He stopped Hana and Luhan from their loud ruckus, and looking back, he said to Krystal, "Hey, Luhan's girlfriend."

Luhan, hearing this stopped. He didn't see his girlfriend at all. He glanced back to her.

Yunho continued, "Take care of Luhan for us. If he makes you cry...well, Hana can always get him back for you." He finally walked away.

Luhan and Hana stopped their babbling and came forward to the gang. Luhan slightly smiled to Krystal, "Yo, glad you can make it."

Krystal took out something from her bag, "Here, I made you a lunch. I don't know what you like to eat, so I only made croquettes, rice balls, and kimbap."

Luhan thanked her, "I don't mind anything, as long as it's food." He raised the lunch box, "Thank you for going through a lot of work to make a lunch." Accepting the lunch, he touched his stomach. "I'll definitely eat this!"

Xiumin raised his brows, coming over to tease the couple, "Luhan, usually when Hana gives you your lunch, you always make fun of it. I guess you really do like Krystal."

The friends all looked at Xiumin after his comment. Not realizing that what he said made the atmosphere weird, Luna gave him a glare to shut him up.

"Hana," Someone said. It was Woobin Kim, one of the third-year baseball players, too. He was a close friend of Jongsuk. They have great teamwork together and could be seen almost together on campus. He had just arrived since he came through the gates. "There's someone waiting for you at the front gate."

"Someone?" Hana asked. She knew all of her friends were here. "At the gate?"

"Yeah, a middle school boy. Name's Chanyeol."

What is Chanyeol doing here? Hana had already left her friends to walk to the front gate where Chanyeol was waiting for her. I didn't leave anything behind yesterday, didn't I?

*

"I better go stretch." Luhan said, after a long silence following Hana’s leave. "Hey, Lay, Xiumin. Want to help me?"

"Sure." Lay and Xiumin hesitated before answering. Luhan had never asked them to help him stretch. They figured it had something to do with Chanyeol wanting to see Hana.

Luna waved to her friends as she watched the boys leave. When her friends left, she looked at the girls, "You can sit here." She brought the bags with the lunch over, "Let's start separating the lunch."

"Okay." The girls obeyed. Coming over, they took out the lunch from the bags and started sorting them out based on the attached names stuck on the lunch cover.

"Is Hana the manager?" Gayoon asked, wanting to start a conversation to avoid the silence. "Is that why she's been given this job?"

"Hana's not the manager, and trust me, you don't want to meet the manager." She's probably not going to be here until another two weeks. "Hana's just showing her support to the school team by helping out." I should take this chance to confront her. "Hana and Luhan will never have a romantic relationship." While sorting out the lunch, Luna looked at Krystal who was looking down, "However, I don't know if you and Chanyeol have had a relationship or not."

Gayoon froze and Krystal dropped a lunch box, spilling its food on the floor.

Luna ignored the scene and continued, "Luhan is a flirt...well, at least he sort of used to be, but if you're playing with him, I'd recommend you to stop. Or, if you're planning to get revenge on Chanyeol for whoever knows what reason, don't involve Hana. Luhan and Hana are my friends, and I don't want to see them being messed around with." She stopped separating the lunch and faked a smile to Krystal, "I hope you're not doing any of these that I've listed, correct?"

*

"Chanyeol?" Hana asked when she arrived at the front of the school gate.

Chanyeol came over, smiling to her.

"How do you know I attend here?"

"You were wearing your school uniform when we ate out, remember?" Chanyeol said. "I just wanted to check if you're alright."

Hana smiled, touched that he was worried about her. "Thanks, but I'm fine."

"What about you and that Luhan?"

"We're fine, too." Hana perked up, "Hey, you always go play at that arcade baseball set-up thingy! My friends and I are watching Luhan play. Wanna come watch?"

"He's in baseball?" Chanyeol asked, as if in disbelief.

Hana nodded, sarcastically pouting. "Yeah, as much as he doesn't look like it, he's pretty good. I packed some food, too, so come and join us."

Chanyeol looked around, "But, I'm not a high school student."

"It's fine." Hana suddenly had an idea, "Think of this as me treating you for treating me the other night."

"But, it was a fail." Chanyeol said, laughing.

"What counts is that you asked." Hana said. "They're waiting, let's go." As Hana walked wit

Please log in to read the full chapter