015

Yuna Inspired: Our Virtual Family [Luhan Version]
Please log in to read the full chapter

Hana awoke to the sounds of doorbell being pressed continuously non-stop. She groaned as she turned around to look at the time on the alarm clock. It showed four-fifty-eight p.m. She wondered who was the person rudely ringing their doorbell and how come Luhan wasn’t opening the door at all. From what she remembered, he should be downstairs unless he had come up to play video games on his computer. Either way, he was up and should be opening the door by now.

Getting up, she fixed the blankets to Taeyang and finally saw Luhan lying fast asleep on the opposite side of Taeyang. He slept comfortably on the bed as if this was his room in the first place.

That jerk. When did he come in here? She yawned, deciding to lecture him later after dealing with the person ringing the doorbell.

Opening the door, to her surprise, it wasn’t a person but a group of people.

Three to be exact.

“Luna!” Hana gasped in shock.

Luna frowned, “What took you so long to open the door?”

She made way for her friends to enter. She remembered that she had asked her friends to come over to update them about Taeyang and to get the class assignments she and Luhan missed. “Sorry, we were taking a nap.”

Xiumin questioned, “A nap?”

She nodded.

“Better stop or else you’ll get used to it,” Xiumin sat down on the couch and grabbed the remote, turning the TV on. “I took naps in middle school and got used to it and it was so hard to not fall asleep during the usual time I took my nap.” He put a hand on his head and sighed. Remembering those mental hard times made him regret it very much.

Lay sat beside Xiumin and asked, “Luhan’s taking a nap, too?”

Hana nodded. “Yeah.” She walked over to the kitchen, “Guys, want anything?”

Xiumin turned his head around elatedly, “Sure, what you got?”

“I can make tea or hot chocolate. If not, water and canned soda are all that we have.” She reached for the top of the refrigerator, “We also have a few bags of chips that I know Luhan will never finish.”

“Hot chocolate.” The three friends said in sync.

“Got it.” Hana made a mental note as she handed Xiumin the bags of chips before heading back to the kitchen. “So, what happened in class today?”

Luna came over, pulled a chair, and sat down. “Nuh-uh, you tell what happened first. Why did you guys missed school today?”

She casually answered, “Taeyang's infected with the Kawasaki disease.”

“WHAT?” Everyone exclaimed. Xiumin and Lay moved themselves away from the TV and ran over to sit at the kitchen table. Xiumin also managed to bring the bags of chips over with him. This sure was unexpected news. They had thought that Luhan had somehow persuaded Hana to ditch class or that the both of them were sick.

“It was during the sleepover trip at Coach’s house. Luhan knew it before I did and was trying to solve it before I would know.” Hana further explained, “But, I still ended up knowing.”

“He hid it from you?” Luna asked, “Why?”

She smiled, feeling thankful, “Because that baka didn’t want me to worry about it.”

“But, at the end, I still made you concerned about it,” said Luhan.

Everyone looked at the end of the kitchen and saw a sleazy Luhan heading their way.

Luhan weakly pulled out a chair and sat by Xiumin. When he caught sight of his bag of chips in Xiumin's hand, his eyes widened, “Oh, those are mine.”

Xiumin stuck out his tongue at Luhan, “Not anymore.”

He gasped, “Hana! These are my chips! Why did you give ‘em to Xiumin?”

She snickered, “Sharing is caring. Even Taeyang knows that already.” She was still standing beside the stove, waiting for the water to boil to prepare the hot chocolate.

He scoffed, “Well, I’m not Taeyang. I am the great Luhan.” He reached for the bag and started eating, sharing with Xiumin because he had to. “By the way, when did you guys get here?”

The friends ignored Luhan’s question.

Luna worriedly asked Hana, “So, how is he? Is he at the hospital?”

“No, he’s back already. The result is that he steered clear of surgery but he will need to take his daily dose of medicine to avoid future inflammation that may cause heart problems.”

Lay exhaled, “Wow, that is serious.”

“Tomorrow, Luhan and I will go back to school like normal.” Hana continued.

Xiumin shook his head, showing a disbelief expression. “How could you two be so calm about this? If I were a teenage father, I would’ve—”

“—not know what to do!” Luna completed. She sighed out loud, “You guys are strong.”

The friends nodded, giving Hana and Luhan a satisfied look.

Luhan chuckled, “I was scared.”

The friends ghastly reacted to their friend’s shocking confession.

“But, the moment I thought of Hana, I became scared of losing her instead.”

“Eh…?” The friends, even Hana, uttered in response. They silently waited.

“All that came to my mind was how I was going to make that man-girl not be restless about Taeyang. I was scared that I’d be hated forever for not telling.” A light smile formed at the side of his lips and he looked up at Hana. Right at this moment, he swore he could only see her in the room with him. He added, “But, you were much stronger than me, and I didn’t realize that until my brother told me. And, for the first time ever...I was scared of losing...Taeyang.”

Hana smiled back to him, understanding that this was just Luhan’s way of responding to what she had confessed to his brother when they had their private talk at the restaurant when Taeyang was still sick.

The friends were lost at how to respond or react in this kind of lovey-dovey atmosphere. It was so confusing that it became a bit awkward. The silence was broken when the tea pot whistled loudly, making Hana broke off eye contact with Luhan.

Luna exhaled, “Whoa, you two are beginning to look and feel like a couple already.”

Xiumin nonchalantly added, “They already have the look and the feel of a couple. What I just witnessed was acting—”

“—we’ll never be like that.” Hana and Luhan casually inserted. It was their usual response whenever people were going to make comments like that.

Hana handed her friends their completed cups of hot chocolates, “You guys know that it’s impossible between us.” She sat by Luna after handing Luhan’s tea that she made at the last minute.

Luna blinked, “How come you made him tea when he didn’t ask for one?”

“Because I know that if he saw you guys drinking, he’d ask me to make one for him, too.”

Lay pointed to Luhan’s cup, “But, why tea?”

“I’m/He’s on a diet.” Luhan and Hana answered together.

Luhan frowned, disappointed. “Come on, guys. You know that whenever it’s baseball season, I always have to eat and drink carefully, too.”

Luna responded, “We never pay attention to what you eat or drink.”

“Now that I think about it, Hana always knew it even if you never told us.” Xiumin said. “I mean, there was that one time when we had the school festival and you didn’t want to go near the food stands, so Hana gave you the fruits that she packed.”

“…So…?” Luhan said, taking a sip.

“It’s weird, isn’t it?”

“How so?” Hana asked, siding with Luhan.

Xiumin gave up with a shrug and the conversation dropped there.

Luhan jolted up and scurried over to the stairs, “I’ll be back!”

Hana batted an eyelid and rhetorically asked herself, “Did Taeyang wake up?”

Luna wanted another confirmation, “If you two are having a hard time dealing with this, you guys don’t have to come to school tomorrow.”

Hana stayed firm, “No, you heard him. We’re both alright.” She smiled, “Besides, I’m only alright because I have him with me, too.”

“…You were scared, too, weren’t you?”

She nodded. “When your brother told me that Taeyang would need surgery and that his life was in our hands, I realized that I wasn’t dealing with this alone. Luhan knew that I would’ve dealt with it by myself had he not known it before I did, so he decided to take most of the burden off for me.” She inhaled, “And, just like that, I couldn’t find myself hating him for what he tried to hide.”

“Hey…guess what?” Luhan’s sing-song voice was heard and the gang shot their heads to his direction, although, they couldn’t see him at all.

“Luhan?” Hana asked.

Luhan finally popped in and to everyone’s surprise, a calm and composed Luhan was holding—properly—Taeyang. He didn’t look terrified at all like how he usually did whenever he was asked to hold Taeyang.

“He’s awake?” She stood up and carefully walked over to them, not wanting to scare Luhan in case he was really freaking inside.

Luhan proudly chortled, “The Great Luhan is no longer at the mercy—” He received a strike at the back of his head, “Ouch, what was that for?”

She sneered at him, “Did you wake him up?”

He opened his mouth, “No! Not me. The phone did!”

“The phone?” The friends questioned.

He showed his phone, “I heard my cell rang and when I went to pick it up, Taeyang was playing with it.” He smirked to Hana, “Had I not went in, Taeyang would’ve fallen down to the ground.”

Luna stood up eagerly, “Oh, let me hold him!”

Luhan came over and gently handed Taeyang to Luna with ease. He continued to surprise Hana when she saw Luhan softly patted his head before heading to his seat.

"What's up with you? You're okay with him now?" Xiumin asked.

Luhan glanced at Taeyang, showing a bit of hesitation, "Yeah."

Luna's cell vibrated and she read the text. Emitting evil aura, Hana sensed it and took Taeyang back from Luna while Luna fumed her anger at her friends.

"Can you believe it? This woman has the nerves to make my father ask me to go bridal shopping with her this weekend!!!" She scoffed and tossed her phone angrily on the table, "The wedding's not even until mid-August. Told you she's a gold digger."

Hana smiled, "She can't help it. Every girl's dream is to have the most beautiful wedding. It's a once in a lifetime event that needs to be specially prepared." She placed Taeyang on the table, “A wedding is an important and special event where you and your beloved exchange promising vows." She stared off into the distance and imagined herself standing at the altar with a mysterious shadowed man in a white tux. Even though he was a dark shadow, she sensed that she had known this man since the beginning of time and that he would be her everything. Clearing , she got rid of the imagination and added, “It's touching to know that you're not alone."

Luna gasped in excitement, "Hey, Hana! Let's go dress shopping together! I don't want to be with her."

"Eh?" A crease formed on Hana's forehead.

"You're going to need a dress anyway."

"Yes, but—"

Luna interrupted her friend, "I don't want to be alone with her. I'm doing it for my father, that's all." She smiled, "Come with me." She reached for her cup, "Let's take control of this wedding. Do you have a color in mind?"

She pouted and thought to herself. Honestly answering, she said, "Not really. I don't know what colors match me."

Luhan smirked and pointed at her from across the table, "That's because you don't match any, duh."

"Be quiet."

"You be quiet."

Hana glared at Luhan, "I said it first, so you be quiet."

The two friends began their bickering and everyone else ignored it as usual.

With shining eyes, Xiumin leaned forward to Luna and sweetly asked, "Hey, can I bring someone, too?"

"Who?" Lay and Luna asked.

"Gayoon."

Luna shrugged, "Fine, since you don't have a date anyway."

Xiumin frowned, "Luna. Don't say it like that!"

"It's true though." She didn’t care that she had flung salt into his wounds.

Everyone laughed while teasing Xiumin.

Xiumin shrugged it off coolly and asked for confirmation, "So, I can bring her, right?

"Yeah."

"All right!" He shouted in excitement. He stood up and started celebrating by himself.

With that solved, Luna turned back to look at Hana and begged, "Ne, please go with me?"

"I’m sorry, Luna." Hana said, apologetically, "I don't think Luhan could handle Taeyang without me, and if I bring Taeyang with us, we'll never accomplish what we intend to do."

"I can watch Taeyang." Luhan volunteered, shocking his friends. He looked at them disappointedly. "What?"

"Whoa," Xiumin stopped dancing and came over to put his arm around Luhan's shoulders, "You said what?"

"I can watch Taeyang." Luhan repeated confidently.

Hana scoffed, mocking him, "Nuh uh. I don't trust you with Taeyang."

"Hey, if you can trust my brother with Taeyang, why can't you trust me with him?" Luhan questioned, slightly offended. "He's worse than me for sure."

"I've seen you with Taeyang already. Every time he cries, you cover your ears and walk away or hide in a corner. If he cries near you, you look like you're going to cry, too. When you tried to feed him, you gave him too much. When—"

Luhan put a hand out, "—stop!" He forced a smile, "I admit. I at handling kids."

"You don't , you're freakin' bad!" Xiumin exclaimed, making Luhan feel worse than ever. He laughed non-stop, putting a hand on his stomach.

"Whatever!" He responded back to Xiumin. He looked back at Hana, "But, I can promise...uh, try to get along with him...without...you." There was a long silence and Luhan felt awkward. He put his hands in the air, "Okay, I admit! I'm anxious around Taeyang without Hana, but...I'm willing to try. Isn't that good enough?"

"Try when I'm there." Hana grinned, "That way, I can save you."

Luhan snickered and mockingly laughed at her, "Ha, ha, ha. Very funny." He sighed and sincerely said, "You can trust me. I want to spend a day with him."

The gang was taken aback at his shocking confession.

She was curious about why he suddenly wanted to bond with Taeyang when he had no reason to. But, nevertheless, seeing the sincere expression and the honest eyes of him, she was touched and she agreed. She looked at Luna, "Then, how about this Saturday?"

Luna gasped, "Eh, you're really going to leave Taeyang with him?"

She nodded. "Yep." She smiled as she looked back at Luhan who was thankful for her decision, "I absolutely cannot trust him, but, when he's that stupid, I have to."

Luhan immediately frowned, "I'm not stupid, stupid."

Lay sighed, "How about we have a boys' hangout then?" He pointed to the girls, "Since you two will be dress shopping and Hana's worried about Luhan being alone with Taeyang, Xiumin and I will help out, too."

The girls immediately accepted the offer and simultaneously said, "Yeah! That'd be great!"

Luna hugged Hana, "This Saturday will be our first girls' hangout day!"

The boys stopped cheering and commented together, "First?"

"Yeah."

Xiumin covered his mouth in pity, "Ah, that's right. Before this, Hana was never allowed to hang out on the weekends."

Luna hissed at him, "Pabo, why are you saying that?"

Xiumin slapped his mouth because of his insensitivity and quietly apologized to Hana.

Hana laughed, "It's all good." She looked at Taeyang and then at Luhan and asked one more time, "Are you sure you're okay with this?"

Without hesitation, Luhan nodded. "Yep. Even though you're still going to be as hideous as ever, go be a girl. It's only for a day. There’s nothing bad with—"

"—you jerk!" Hana shouted.

Everyone laughed as Hana, with Taeyang, started chasing Luhan around the house to get back at him for his unnecessary sarcastic comment.

*

"Thanks." Hana thanked Luhan for watching Taeyang in her room while she took a shower. She sat on her bed and dried her hair with her white towel. "What time are you going to wake up to do training tomorrow?"

"I'm not." Luhan answered. "Or, for the next two weeks."

"Why?"

"I told Coach that I'll do my training on my own time instead." He made a silly face at Taeyang who was sitting in the middle space between them. "That way, I can walk with you and Taeyang to the Day Care Center every morning and every time we come back home."

"I told you, we're fine." Hana said. She grabbed the comb placed on top of her nearby dresser and started to comb her hair, "It's more effective to train with others so you can know where you stand."

He rolled over to her and whined, "Even if I do practice in the morning, with Taeyang like this, I can't concentrate if I don't know how you two are doing."

She giggled at the sight of him trying to baby his way out. She cupped his cheeks, "Fine, fine. You big baby." She let go of his face, "I guess so then." She put the comb down and put her attention to Taeyang, playing “peek-a-boo” with him.

"Hey." He said softly.

"Hmm?" She waited. "What is it?" When she looked up, she saw him looking at her with a bashful expression.

"Can I...if you don't mind..." Before completing, he immediately waved his hands around, "...this has no bad intent—really—but...can I..." He glanced at Taeyang squirming and rolling around on the bed while on his blanket. "...Can-"

"You can." Hana said.

"Eh?" Luhan immediately looked up at her and blinked twice. Hard. "But, you didn't hear what I wanted to ask."

"You wanted to ask if you can sleep here, right?"

He covered his ears because it was embarrassing to hear it from her. "Don't say it!"

"You were going to ask!" She laughed at how cute he was whenever he was shy about something. She pointed to the opposite side of Taeyang, right where Luhan was sitting at. "You can sleep on that side."

"You're really okay with it?"

She nodded. "Yeah. Why not? You're just Luhan." She said without any sense of emotion, slightly offending him.

"What is that supposed to mean?" He squinted his eyes at her, trying to express his dissatisfaction. "You feel nothing knowing that you're going to sleep in the same room and bed as me?"

"Pabo ah, Taeyang is going to be in between us. As if you can do anything to me."

"Ha!" He scoffed, "I'm the one who is lucky to have Taeyang next to me! If without him, I'd probably be on the TV for being a victim of ual harassment!" He covered his face and squealed as he acted out a scene, "Oh! The horror of Hana!"

She threw him a pillow while chuckling, "Just go to sleep." She started fixing the blankets. "You okay with the lights on? I need it for Taeyang."

Lying down on the bed, Luhan answered, "Yeah. I'm fine with it." He turned to face Taeyang only to lock eyes with Hana who was lying on her side, too. He sent her a smile, "Good night."

"Night." She smiled back.

*

Hana batted her eyes open as soon as her brain reminded her to wake up to check up on Taeyang's condition in case anything was off. This was an ability she developed when she was babysitting, or maybe it was because she was a light sleeper, but nevertheless she was capable of waking herself up while asleep if she reminded herself about it the moment she went to sleep—and she loved it. It was her savior for many things, especially when she needed to wake up in the around three or four to do homework because the kids she used to babysit didn't go to sleep until twelve or one in the morning.

She rested a hand on Taeyang's forehead and checked his temperature. It was normal and he was sleeping soundlessly. His breathing was okay, he was warm, and he wouldn't be asking for another bottle until two hours lat

Please log in to read the full chapter