014

Yuna Inspired: Our Virtual Family [Luhan Version]
Please log in to read the full chapter

After running four flights of stairs in the hospital because taking the elevators was too much of a hassle and Luhan couldn't wait for it to arrive, he finally landed a step on the fourth floor. The fourth floor where Taeyang was.

The fourth floor where Hana was waiting.

For him.

He skimmed for the room number and passed by the first hallway. After asking a nurse, she directed him to turn left, head straight, and it would be the fifth door down onto his right. Once he followed the directions, he stopped at the end of the hallway.

In front of him, five doors down on his right, there stood Hana, leaning on the wall and looking down at the ground.

His feet dragged him to her. His breathing paced. His eyes on her expression that was well hidden from the way she was leaning.

Daring to stop right in front of her, he waited for a response. He knew she knew he was there. His heart pained while she stayed silent. He knew she wanted to say something. And, that something was a lot of something.

Hana wanted to yell at him. Shout at him. Curse at him. Hit him. But, she couldn't. She couldn't find the energy or the will to do anything to Luhan.

Not after all that Kris had said to her.

"Luhan won't be coming until later." Hana said with a blank face. There was no expression. Her tone was so low and quiet, different from her usual self.

Kris caught onto what was happening. "He only wanted what was best for you."

"If he did, he would have told me! That's what's best!" Hana blinked her tears back from falling. She had to show Kris that she was angry, not scared of what she didn't know. "Please tell me what happened to Taeyang. Everything."

Kris became uncomfortable. He knew Hana well, but this was his first time seeing her like this. He couldn't tell if she was angry or not because from his experience and personal belief, angry people are usually more aggressive and loud. She wasn't. She was composed. The only difference was that she had no expression and that is worst than an aggressive angry person.

Kris pointed to a place, "Let's have a talk over some hot drinks, shall we?" At least that'll keep us company.

Once inside a heated place with no breezy wind blowing and having hot drinks in front of them, everything was just right. Well, if only the situation could be changed.

"The Kawasaki disease is a disease that occurs in children under five. The common symptoms are a high fever and inflamed internal lungs and blood, especially in the chest and stomach area." Kris started. "As of now, his fever has subsided, but it's the inflammation around his heart that is the problem."

Hana was scared to utter her next question, "In-inflammation...in the...heart...area...?"

Kris nodded. "He's still a small kid, and with the little known information regarding the disease itself, and since surgery might be nee-"

"—surgery?" Hana exclaimed. "He's going to need surgery?"

"It's a possibility, yes." Kris said. "But, that's not the main problem you should be worrying about."

Hana shot him a confused look.

He took the silence as his chance to sip his hot drink. Exhaling, he breathed and said the obvious information she seemed to have not thought about, "You two aren't the real parents. If worst comes to shove, he will need his biological parents' approval before any procedure is done."

Hana couldn't catch onto what Kris was trying to say. She was already his parent based on the Family Registration because she and Luhan did not put Taeyang under 'adoption'.

"Will you be willing to make a decision with his life on the line?" Kris asked the bottom line, finally making her understand. "I'm only asking since he was under your guys' care the longest, and it's only right." He paused for a long time, letting her process and think. "I know how scary it is, but if not, I can—"

"—No." Hana said.

To Kris's shock, he finally saw a smile from her. It was like she gained her confidence and energy back.

"I can,” she continued, "I'm not scared. I have Luhan with me."

Hana finally glanced up at Luhan who flinched in response. Slightly smiling, happy that he knew he had hurt her by his decision, she hugged him and whispered, "Thanks."

Was this supposed to happen? He asked himself. His hands were raised in the air. He did not know how to respond. Was she tricking him at the moment? Was this some kind of new punishment she came up with Kris to torture him?

Hana pulled away from, the hug. She wiped her tears. Sniffing, she pinched him, hard, on his cheeks. With a nasal voice, she threatened, "If you ever pull something like this again, you will really get it from me!" She let go and pouted, "Got that?"

He touched his pain-throbbing cheeks that were red as cherries at the moment. He was so taken aback at how she chose to respond to him. He laughed to himself, making her confused as he continued to laugh at his own thoughts.

How in the world did I ever think this girl would hate me? No matter what happens to us, or between us, our relationship will never change. He kept laughing at how his stupid thoughts scared the living daylights out of him. She would never lay a hand on me. He leaned up straight and pulled her into a tighter hug, ignoring her resistance. With his eyes closed, adapting to the warmth of her body heat, he smiled. Whether she's sad...or angry at me...she would always pinch me.

I love her.

He froze at his last thought. What the hell?

Hana shoved him away, finally free. She fixed her hair and her attire, "What's up with you all of the sudden?"

Yeah, what's up with me all of the sudden with that comment from before? He was no longer paying attention to her. He was lost in his own tracks.

"Luhan?" Someone asked.

Luhan and Hana looked at the direction of where the voice came from and saw that it was Kris.

"Hyung?" Luhan asked. "I thought you were in the room."

Kris showed them a handful of papers, "I went to signed off a few documents." Giving them to Hana, he added, "Well, I've got urgent business to take care of, but I'll be back to—"

"—I will do it." Hana offered. "I want to stay here with Taeyang. I want to be the one he sees first."

Luhan stepped into the conversation, "He has to stay overnight?"

"Yeah, tonight's his last night. They're only monitoring his fever. About his inflammation, the doctor will make another appointment regarding it." Kris explained.

"Inflammation?"

"Hana can tell you all about it." He sighed, "But, what about school tomorrow?"

Hana docked her head slightly to Luhan, "He can go to school for me."

Luhan's jaw opened, "No way! If you're not going, I'm not going."

With his childish comment, it was enough to bring the tense atmosphere into a bright one for a slight moment.

"Then what about classwork?" Hana asked Luhan.

"We can ask Xiumin or one of them to give us the work." He answered. He was determined to stay with her, mainly because he thought it was unfair that she got to stay with Taeyang and he didn't.

"What about an excuse?" Kris asked.

Hana grinned, "Well, for Luhan's situation, we can say that he was constipated."

Luhan's face flushed, "Stupid, you know that's not true!"

She stuck out her tongue while Kris became bashful at her comment.

Wanting to get her back, Luhan said, "Well, for Hana's case, she—"

"—I, what?" She challenged and raised her brows to provoke him.

I am just going to save you again. He unwillingly said, "You're constipated, too."

Hana scowled, "Am not!"

"Am, too!"

As the two continued accusing one another, Kris chuckled. He was glad that everything was alright. Most important of all, he was glad that Luhan and Hana were dealing with this with a strong heart. Maybe it was because it was like what Hana had said during their private talk. “I'm not scared. I have Luhan with me.” He left the two friends bickering to themselves as he excused himself from them. During his walk away, he fiddled with a picture in his side pocket. Right before turning on the corner, he gave one last look at his younger brother being tortured by a happily Hana who was strangling him. He looked down at the picture, "If you had me...would it have been different?"

*

"Hey, want to get something to eat?" Luhan asked, patting his stomach. The both of them hadn't had any food after lunch because they both rushed here, and now that it was late in the evening, his stomach had started to growl as he lay down on one side of the couch and his feet stretched passed Hana's laps. He nudged her with his foot to get her attention from a worksheet, "Ne, let's go."

"Hospital food?" Hana scowled, putting the paper down. "But, they're not tasty."

He sat up and came close, "Who said we're getting food from here?"

She gently patted him on the chest, "Then you go. I don't want to leave Taeyang alone."

He pouted and joked, "But, I want you with me so you can protect me from molesters."

"I'd choose Taeyang over you any day."

"I know, but please, just this once, choose me." Luhan cutely begged. "It's only a block away."

Hana glanced at Taeyang, "Um...okay." She tossed his legs from her lap to the floor and got up.

He stood up and handed her his jacket after taking it off, Lying, he said, "I'm hot."

She grinned, "Thanks." She wore it and fixed her hair.

Just as she was about to zip it up, Luhan did it for her, except, with a tease. He purposely zipped it all the way and then shoved her back and forth. "Gosh, you are so not good-looking!" He sighed, "It looks much better on me."

She scoffed in response, "Yeah, yeah, whatever."

Hana and Luhan checked to see if Taeyang was awake before they left to the hospital's cafeteria to grab a bite to eat for dinner. Once confirmed that he was still sleeping with no fever, they left with haste.

Once outside, they became loud as they were keeping their voices low to let Taeyang rest.

Hana pinched one side of Luhan's cheek, "You say this jacket looks so much better on you than on me?"

I should've known that she wasn't going to let that slide. Luhan shoved her hand away and power walked to get away from her. He rushed to an elevator and pressed it quickly, hoping no nurses or doctors would catch onto their bickering acts.

Right before the doors slide open, Hana caught up and grabbed onto his hand. "Baka, don't leave me."

When the door opened, people walked out and Luhan and Hana moved to the side. Luhan chuckled, seeing how big his jacket looked on her, especially since it was zipped all the way.

Hana glanced down at the jacket. She zipped it down half-way, "It's too big."

Luhan zipped it all the way back up, "You'll be warm, pabo. Keep it that way." He pinched her cheeks in return.

When the herds of people got off, Luhan and Hana were about to step in when two other people halted them from inside the elevator.

"Lu-Lu!" Victoria loudly exclaimed with no shame or awareness that she was in the hospital. With a cast on one of her legs, she left her brother's side and limped to Luhan, slightly shoving Hana to the side.

However, no one paid attention to Victoria. Both of Luhan's and Hana's eyes were on Jongsuk as his eyes were on Hana. More specifically, Luhan's jacket. Jongsuk and his sister had seen the entire scene. The question Jongsuk had in his mind was why they were together, and in a hospital, too.

But, for Hana and Luhan. They didn't have a question.

The date!

*

Hana could only tried to force a smile as she sat across a scowling Victoria whose eyes were completely focused on her, giving her a glare while Victoria’s hands were tied tightly around Luhan to not let him escape, something Luhan had stopped trying to free himself from ever since he knew it was useless and a waste of energy. Beside Hana sat her boyfriend who hadn't spoken a word ever since they met at the doors of the elevator all the way to now, sitting together at a table in the hospital cafeteria, having a light dinner together.

Eyes still focused on Hana, Victoria sweetly asked Luhan, "Lu-Lu, you never did answer why you are here." And, with that girl, too!

Luhan lifted up his spoon from his soup, trying to stay composed. He didn't look at her, "I told you I was hungry, so I needed to take the elevator."

"We're not talking about the elevator anymore. The hospital! Why are you here?" She removed her hands from his arm and started touching all over him. She nervously asked, "Did you get hurt anywhere during baseball practice?"

As Luhan continued to ignore Victoria and her physical touches, Hana looked at the time on her phone. It had been eighteen minutes since they were away from Taeyang and she became worried.

"Do you have to go somewhere?" Jongsuk finally spoke. "I can take you instead."

Hana smiled, "No, it's okay."

Jongsuk didn't respond.

This is the first time I've seen Sunbae like this. I can't believe he has this side to him, too. Hana didn't know what to do now. She had bowed apologetically more than three times inside the elevator and said "I'm sorry" more than five times regarding the date she had missed because she forgot about it. She had told him that she had an urgent business to attend, but didn’t fully explained that it was related to her “son” Taeyang and “husband” Luhan, but each time of her apology, she was sincere. She decided to say it one more time, "I’m sorry. I really forgot about our—"

"—it's okay." Jongsuk interrupted, already hearing enough. "It is my fault."

Hearing this, Luhan secretly glanced a look at the couple's conversation while trying to seem as if he was giving them space.

Jongsuk explained, "I didn't text you further information regarding what time and where we were supposed to meet up."

"But, I should've called to inform." Hana reasoned.

Victoria rudely inserted, "Exactly! How dare you let oppa wait for you and go on a date with my Lu—"

"—we did not go on a date." Luhan interrupted to clarify. He asked her, "Besides, do people date in a hospital?"

"I’m sorry," Hana apologized again, agreeing with Victoria for once.

Jongsuk looked at her, finally, "To make up for it, can I walk you home?"

Luhan choked on his soup and Victoria's help was so loud that it caused a commotion; however, Hana couldn't pay attention to Luhan's health. She was dealing with a problem too big that weighed much more than Luhan's life.

This problem related to Luhan's and hers and Taeyang's.

A problem too big that she didn't know how to answer Jongsuk.

"What do you say?" Jongsuk asked, slightly pressuring her.

She smiled and quickly lied, "Actually, I'm sleeping here for the night." She also added, "A relative of mine whom I haven't seen for so long got a back injury so she requested me to stay the night."

"Then, what about you, Lu-Lu?" Victoria squirmed around Luhan again. She repeats the same question that he hasn't given her an answer, "Why are you here?"

"Uh, I was visiting a friend, too." He smiled, "But, I'm going to leave after I finish this soup." He raised his bowl and did a one shot with his soup, "In fact, I'm leaving right now!" He stood up and immediately left the trio.

With Luhan gone, Jongsuk was able to ask Hana the big question he wanted to be answered, "Why were you two together?"

"We-we passed by each other. He was visiting his-his-his patient, and I was visiting mine." Hana stammered. She purposely glanced at the time again, "Oh, I think I have to return. I told her I won't take longer than half an hour."

Standing up with her, Jongsuk asked,

Please log in to read the full chapter