Chapter 1

Magic of Love

Year 2011Seoul, South Korea

It was a busy day in Seoul. Just like the usual, you could hear the cars honking, busy people talking, kids giggling, birds singing, and trees humming from the wind. A normal day it is. The real thing is, the place they were enjoying was once a battlefield for wars among dynasties. But everyone doesn't have a clue, except for a boy and probably the historians themselves.

However, there's this boy who likes history so much that he researched the past of every corners of South Korea.  Now, he's now studying the main reason that sparked the war between Korean territories. People around him been's asking if he's doing it because of boredom? Or just pure interest? The boy though, didn't give a care to them, like always.

He was born Kim Kibum, a boy with milk skin and brown but blurry eyes. He's a tall boy aged of 17. Kibum bit his red lips and ran his hands through his black well-cut hair after messing something with his little reasearch. He crumpled the piece of paper he's been writing on and threw the poor thing in the trash together with his fellow. The hothead guy removed his eyeglasses from his head and whined, yelled and almost cursed his own self. 

"Why am I doing this anyway?" he said, pissed. But still, counting all the works that he has made from his middle school days, he could pass his own thesis of histories by now. Honestly, history is his only friend.

The lad stood up from his uncomfortable chair and moved over to his bed. He threw his body freely on the soft thing before opening the television in front of him, hoping to find something good in it. "What's good to watch?" he asked himself with a sigh. He pressed the buttons on his remote and turned the channels almost restlessly. Knock, Knock. Annoyed, Kibum looked over the door and stood up on his feet again to open it. "Omma--" he cheered sarcastically.

"You want some snacks?" A lady in her 40s--with young looks but weak body--was holding a tray of milk and cookies. It was his mom. She was never kind to his classmates, except for Tiffany, the daughter of her comrades. Only Tiffany is welcome in their home and so Kibum never had a friend except for her. 

"No thanks" Kibum shook his head then smiled softly. His mom noticed him tired. Of course she knew what her son's been doing, and she's very proud of him. She always wanted him to become like his Dad, a professor of History in a well-known school.

He shut his door politely and moved on. He didn't wait for his Mom to leave but instead looked around his messy room and relaxed his mind. Suddenly he thought of wanting to stop doing his thing, and that's being the history geek of their class.

He doesn't even know why he likes History so much. Is it because his Dad's a History geek as well? He's confused of his own. Kibum always wanted to live normally like his classmates; young, wild and free. He even thought of drinking alcoholic stuffs with some friends despite being an underage. He's soon to be 18 anyway, he reasoned.

"Don't even dream about it Kim! They will not accept you in their group." Kibum snorted and scolded to himself, stating nothing but the truth to snap himself back to reality.

 

 

Monday mornings for Kibum always feels the same. In fact, everyday feels the same. He wakes up from his sleep, walks to his bathroom to wash himself, changes his clothes and brushes his teeth. When he's done, he goes down to the kitchen to eat with his parents.

"Good morning sweetie!" greeted his Mom with her usual sweet mother smile. Kibum just smiled back to his Mom while wiping his eyeglasses with his cleaning cloth. "Eat with us." She added.

Kibum, just like what he always does, went to his seat and started eating his breakfast. He's an obedient boy to his parents, and a loving son especially to his Mom. Even if he has a hidden feeling of sulk towards her, he never showed her his rebellion. "Eat well Kibum-ah."

"Mom, I'm 17." He chuckled. That's the only thing he could say to his Mom everytime she meddles through his things. Especially to his actions. His Mom's very very supportive of him that sometimes he feels tired of it.

When he was done filling his stomach with the foods his Mom served him and his Dad, Kibum bid goodbye to his parents and went ahead to his school. He kicked the small stones on the ground, thought of his everyday life and sighed to it. 

"Kibum yahhh---OPPA!" Kibum flinched and almost broke his eardrums when somebody out of the blue shouted on his ears. He looked back with his brows curled and saw it was his only friend, Tiffany, calling out for him. This is the only exception he likes about his everyday life. 

Kibum looked at her eyes that smiles naturally as she run to catch up with him. He always wanted to touch her long brown curly hair, but he found it erted so he immediately eliminated the idea the moment it peeked through his mind. "Don't shout on my ear!" he demanded fast, waking himself from his semi-dirty thoughts.

"Sorry oppa, it's just that you're staring at the ground. Are you thinking deep? About what?" curiously asked Tiffany while tilting her head to the side like a little girl acting cute to get herself an ice cream.

"Tiff, not now okay. I'm blank-minded," he replied and was about to continue when his friend mocked in, "You messed with your little research right?" Tiffany said as she poked her friend's chubby cheeks. Of course she knew about his obsession too. She's a star witness to this youth crime.

"No!" he said with a pissed tone, obviously denying again. Tiffany just giggled from the thought that Kibum's cute when he's denying. "Whatever. I think you should stop researching about histories, I mean what would you get after doing it? Will you be a millionaire?" she added with a made face.

"Yes. If I finished my research I will write a book and publish it. By then, I'll be millionaire." Kibum sarcastically answered after rolling his eyes. Tiffany just pouted her lips when she felt dumbfounded by his counter-attack.

Shaking his head, Kibum walked ahead and left Tiffany alone behind him. But when he knew that she couldn't see his face anymore, he smiled. Only her could make Kibum feel comfortable. She's been his best friend since childhood, and his only protector. 

Kibum's been the favorite prey of their school's group of predators--slash--bullies. During middle school, he usually goes home with egg yolks on his uniform and flour on his hair. Only a few times that he would go home neat and clean, a huge sign that Tiffany came to save him. He's been like that since 3rd grade, and now that they're in high school, he's still the same.