Chapter Three

The Ghost Of You

Kris was once again running through the hallways of the large hospital. Didn't I do this a week ago? He asked himself as he pushed people out of the way. This couldn't be happening. It was all a bad dream. Yes, Kris reasoned with himself, this was all some horrible nightmare that he would wake up from at any moment. He would wake up in the bed with Tao and it would all be over.

Reality, sadly, hit him in the face when he reached Tao's room. Everyone was there, including Mrs. Huang. They all sat around crying, looking at a frightened Tao who sat perched on the hospital bed. "Tao?" Kris called, the younger's eyes lifting to him. Tao stared at him, trying to figure out who he was. "How do you know my name?" He asked, looking around at the other people. "Do you know what's going on? I'm so confused." Kris hesitantly took a step towards the bed.

"Don't you know who I am?" he asked, reaching out to take Tao's hand. The younger shook his head, giving Kris a curious expression. "No, am I supposed to know you?" Kris heart shattered into little tiny pieces.

Tao didn't know him. Tao didn't remember him. "Tao, please try to think, don't you remember my face?" He begged, feeling tears overcome him. Tao again shook his head. "I'm sorry, you don't look familiar to me. Only her." he said pointing to his mother.Victoria was wrapped in Kai's arms, crying her poor heart out.

"Excuse me," A doctor said, entering the room. "May I speak with everyone in the hall?" They all filed out into the hallway, gathering in a small circle around the doctor. "Alright, as you all can see, his condition is fine, but something has happened to his brain." he spoke to everyone but kept his eyes focused on Mrs. Huang.

"We're not sure if it had to do with the accident, or something just didn't heal right, but he has amnesia, and it doesn't look like he'll be gaining his memory back." Jaw's drooped, and tears fell as they listened to the doctor speak.

"I suggest that you all start from the beginning. Introduce yourselves, let him know who you are, and how you're related to him, but don't push him. Go slowly, one person at a time." He said, looking around to everyone.

"There's no hundred percent chance that his memory will even stick, he may have short term memory loss for the first few days, but he'll be able to overcome that. It seems that his fine motor skills are still in tact, and some how he can still speak Korean, but his memory of his life is just," The man shook his head. "Gone."

Kris slowly slid down the wall he was leaning against, curling his knees to his chest. He had always been a strong person in front of his friends, but right now, he didn't care who saw him. He began crying his eyes out, feeling arms wrap around him. He didn't even bother looking up, he simply leaned into the touch, crying hard on whoever's shoulder was near him.

This was just a bad dream. It had to be some horrible nightmare.

~*~

"Alright, I'll speak to him first, and we'll slowly introduce ourselves." Mrs. Huang spoke through choked words. After Kris had calmed down, they made a plan to go back in and see Tao. Even though this was a sad moment, and they would have to get past whatever was to come, they would do it together, and meeting Tao again, was step one.

As they entered the room, Kris saw Tao was staring at everyone, this time a little more calm that the first. Mrs. Huang slowly walked over to the bed and sat down next to him. "Zitao, honey." She called his attention gently. "We're all going to tell you who we are, okay? One at a time. It's alright if you don't remember anyone's name, okay? There's a lot of people here." She smiled at all of them. "Their all your friends, alright?" Tao nodded, giving a small smile.

"Wow, I'm really popular, huh?" He asked, laughing slightly. Mrs. Huang nodded, reaching out to take his hands. "That's right, baby. And everyone here loves you." She his hand with her thumb. "Zitao, I'm your mother, Victoria." She said, stumbling over her words a little bit. Tao's eyes widened a little as he looked back at her.

"I...I think I remember you." He said, concentrating on her face. "I knew you looked familiar." She smiled, reaching out to cup his face with one of her hands. "It's alright, don't force yourself." She then turned to the next person who happened to be Luhan and Kai.

"H-Hi," Luhan started, wiping his eyes. "I'm Luhan, this is my boyfriend Kai." He said, pulling Kai along. The younger was having a hard time speaking, so he settled for letting Luhan do the talking. "We met each other in high school." Luhan said, still wiping furiously at his eyes. "We had some classes together, and we became close friends. You're supposed to be in my wedding next month." Tao nodded, frowning a little.

"I'm sorry I can't remember you," He said softly. "If you'll let me, I'd like to get to know you again, and I'd still like to be in your wedding." Luhan offered him a small smile, walking over to give him a small hug. "I'd like that very much." he said, going back to Kai.

Next up was Baekhyun and Chanyeol. Tao's eyes brightened up at the sight of the two small twins. "Hi, who are you?" He asked. Baekhyun spoke first sitting Chanhyun on the bed. "I'm Baekhyun, this is my husband Chanyeol. And these are our sons, Chanhyun and Baekho." Tao looked at Chanhyun, smiling at the small toddler who recognized him.

He reached his tiny hands up to Tao, asking to be held. "Can I hold him? He seems to like me a lot." Baekhyun laughed, giving him the okay to pick the child up.

"So how do I know you?" Tao asked in a cute voice as he sat the boy on his lap. Chanyeol spoke up, seeing that his husband had begun to cry. "We- uh, we went to high school together. You were also in our wedding." he said, having to clear his throat afterwards. Tao nodded, smiling down at the cute child.

"Well you'll have to tell me all about my high school days, since I can't remember anything." He said, smiling up at Baekhyun who was now reaching for Chanhyun. "We will do that." He said, giving Tao a kiss on his forehead. "You're my best friend Tao," He smiled through his tears. "So we'll get you back."

"Taozi," Lay began, sitting down on the bed next to him. Tao turned his head in the direction of the voice. "I know that name." He said, thinking hard. "Someone....someone gave me that name....but I don't know who." He said sadly. Lay held up a hand. "That would be me." He said, trying his best to smile.

"I'm Yixing, but you've always called me Lay. That was the nickname you gave me when we were kids. We, lived in the same neighbor hood, grew up together." Tao nodded, looking to the person next to him. "This is Sehun, he's my boyfriend, and also Kai's younger brother." Sehun laughed a little. "By marriage." He added.

Tao nodded, putting the name to memory. "I want to know more about you." Tao said, smiling at Lay. "Since you're my childhood friend." Lay nodded, getting up off the bed. Kyungsoo walked over and took the place of Lay. "Hello," Kyungsoo started. "I'm Kyungsoo, this is my boyfriend Suho." He took Tao's hand.

"We were also high school friends. You went to school with most of us." Tao smiled staring at Kyungsoo. "You..." he began, trying to think. "I think I might remember you." He closed his eyes, trying to think. "I know you're face, that's for sure, but I can't seem to remember much about you." Kyungsoo nodded, giving his hand a gentle squeeze.

"It's okay, you'll learn more about me in time." Suho wrapped his arm around his boyfriend. "And we'll fill you in on your crazy high school days." Tao chuckled, a smile appearing on his face. "Okay, Suho, right?" Suho nodded, clearing his throat. "That's right." Xiumin picked up Jongdae jr. and whispered something in his ear before he sat him down on the bed.

"I'm Xiumin, and this is Chen." He began. He looked down at his son. "And this is your God-son, Jongdae." The little child crawled over to Tao sitting down in his lap. He proceeded to cuddle up in Tao's arms, letting the adults finish their talk. Tao smiled down at him, wrapping his arms around him.

Last but not least, was Kris' turn, who had been silent the entire time. Mrs. Huang stood up, going over to him, and brought him over to the bed. "Zitao," She said, making him look up. She squeezed Kris' hand a little. "This person, is very special." She said, pushing him forward. Kris sat down on the edge of the bed, wanting nothing more than to break into tears.

Tao...his Tao...all the sweet memories they had made, were gone. The nights they shared, the secrets they kept, the love that they had shared, verbally and ually, all of it was gone. This was Tao's body, but his mind, everything, was gone.

"This is your boyfriend." Tao's eyes tripled in size. "R-Really?" He asked, staring at Kris The older looked back at him, drinking in the expression that he'd seen more than once on Tao's face whenever he had been surprised. Mrs. Huang smiled at him, running her fingers through Kris' hair. "Yes." She gave him a nudge, telling him to speak. Kris cleared his throat and composed himself before he spoke.

"Hey," Tao's expression softened. "I'm Wu Yifan." he said, playing with his hands, unsure of whether to reach out to Tao like the other's had or not. "But everyone calls me Kris." He hesitantly reached for Tao's hand. "It was a name I picked up in high school." Tao smiled softly, a blush tinting his cheeks as Kris took his hand. "Did we go to high school together?" he asked, staring at their joined hands, not daring to look up into Kris' eyes.

"Yeah, we did." He said. He got the courage up to reach out, tilting Tao's chin up to look at him. "I'll tell you all about our love story." He said, smiling softly. "It's kinda funny, and very unique." Tao's smile disappeared as he looked at Kris. "What's wrong?" Kris asked, feeling panic begin to take over him. What if Tao didn't want to be with him? What if he thought Kris was possible? "I'm sad that I can't remember you." He said, tears falling from his eyes.

"You're so handsome, and you seem really sweet, and you're being kind to me even though I can tell this is killing you." he let go of Kris' hand and wiped his eyes. "I'm upset that you're stuck with someone like me." Kris leaned forward, ignoring Jongdae jr. who still sat in Tao's lap. He placed a gentle kiss on Tao's cheek, causing the other's tears to dry up immediately.

"I'm fine." Kris said smiling, brushing their hair away from his eyes. Tao's head had a bandage around it, and they had to shave part of his hair to get to his skull, but he still looked beautiful, and a little bit of his hair had fallen into his eyes.

"I love you." Kris said, staring into his eyes. "I always have, and I always will. This," He gently ran his hand over Tao's bandage. "Is just another part of our great adventure." he said, smiling. "That's what you called our relationship." Tao's frowned left and was replaced with a breathtaking smile.

"How did I get so lucky to have you?" he asked, amazed at Kris' words. The older shrugged, leaning back in his spot. "I don't know. Fate I guess." Tao laughed, his attention falling back on the little boy in his arms.

"Uncle Tao, when will you be coming back?" Jongdae asked, looking up at Tao. Tao frowned, confused by the child's words. "What do you mean?" he asked, smiling. "I'm right here." Jongdae shook his head.

"Umma said that you had left, and that he didn't know when you were coming back." Kris felt his heart pull at Jongdae's words. Of course Xiumin had told him that, how else do you explain to a four year old that your own uncle doesn't know you? "I don't know." Tao said, running his finger through Jongdae's hair. "Maybe I'll come back soon. I'll try not to be gone to long."

There wasn't a dry eye in the room. Even those, who claimed to be strong men, cried as Tao said these words. Kris didn't know if he could ever hold up to them, but he was damn sure that he would do everything to help get Tao back.

-----------------------------

[A/N:]

Bet you guys weren't expecting that, were you? A special double update for my wonderful subbies who have stuck with me through this story. <3

Thank you guys so much for the encouraging comments. It means so much to me that you all love the new story plot, and that you still want to read it, even though your author is a pabo for overloading herself with stories. OTL

But anyways, thank you for reading! Subscribe, upvote, comment for the comment ?

Saranghae!

-Kyla<3