Chapter One

The Ghost Of You

Kris tore down the hospital hallways, pushing people out of the way and dodging others left and right.

He had gotten the call while he was at work about his boyfriend's car accident, and he had dropped everything, hurriedly leaving his office. 

It can't be true... He thought. Mind racing as his feet carried him down the corridors. He has no idea where he was going, all he knew was he had to find Tao. 

He had to see his Tao.

He paid little attention to the speed limit signs as he drove, weaving his way through the traffic. He didn't even remember where he had parked his car. Which may have not been a good idea at the time, but in a situation such as this, he figured it was best not to worry about it.

"Zitao..." He panted as he reached the ICU floor. "Huang Zitao...what...what room?..." He placed his hands on his knees desperately trying to catch his breath.

The nurse looked at him oddly, standing from her seat behind the desk. "Sir, are you alright?" She asked, wondering if he needed medical attention.

"Yifan!" A female voice called to him. He looked up, being met with the sight of the tear streaked face of Tao's mother running to him.

"Victoria, oh my God," He quickly stood up from where he was hunched over and opened his arms to the fretful woman.

Tao's father had died some years ago when he was young, so his mother was all Tao had left in regards to his immediate family.

"Oh Yifan," She said, trying her best to let him know what had happened. "He's still in surgery." She said. Kris lead her over to a waiting room, and sat down with her. It was all he could do to keep himself together, he hoped he could do the same for Tao's poor mother.

"What happened?" He asked, remaining as calm as possible. On the inside he was freaking out, and no doubt he would most likely break when he heard what happened. But he would have to remain strong for Mrs. Huang.

"He was driving," She began. "And a car ran a red light, slamming into the side of the car." Kris' heart broke a little with every detail. It was like unraveling a horrible crime scene.

"The car flipped over a few times and slammed into a telephone pole," she paused a moment, taking deep breaths to calm herself, which did no good. "They said the car was upside down, and that his...his head-" she broke for a minute, but quickly regain her composure. "His head was busted open, oh Kris, I'm so scared...my baby might die..." Kris wrapped comforting arms around her, doing as much as he could to console her. 

Lord knew, he could only do so much, and he to was afraid that his love might die.

How had this happened?

Why had it happened?

Was it karma?

A cruel trick of fate?

The universe sending it worst punishment to someone who didn't deserve it?

Surely, it couldn't have been any of these things for this to happen, there was no way this was a sign that Tao's life was coming to an end.

No, this had to be some sort of bad dream. Any moment, he would wake up.

None of it was real, and when Kris would wake up, everything would be as it was before.

"Mrs. Huang?" A doctor called.

She stood, taking Kris' hand in her's and taking him with her, most likely for support. The man glanced at Kris hesitating before speaking.

"This is my son's boyfriend." She said, giving him the okay to speak. The doctor nodded, taking of his glasses.

"We were able to stop the bleeding in his brain," Mrs. Huang breathed a sigh of relief. "He has a few broken ribs, his left arm was twisted in an unhealthy way, so we assumed it was broken as well, we have put him in a cast." Kris couldn't bare to hear it. He let a few tears escape as the doctor continued.

"His leg was banged up as well, but it's not broken. We have him in a splint for the time being. Other than that, I think he'll be fine. At the moment, he is in an induced coma, but that is so his brain can do healing on its own. He should be fully awake in a few days, we just want to keep him asleep long enough that we know his brain has healed thuroughlyh. The longer the sleep, the faster he'll heal." Mrs. Huang nodded, giving Kris' hand a squeeze.

"May we see him?" She asked, tears falling down her face. The doctor nodded, leading them down a hallway to his room. "He's still able to hear you, so feel free to speak to him, just know that he won't wake up." The man bowed before leaving, letting them be alone.

"Yifan, you go ahead and have some alone time with him, I'm going to go call my sister." Kris nodded, watching her as she left, then turning back to Tao.

He hesitated, slowly stepping into the room. It literally broke his heart to see Tao the way he was. Machines beeping around him, IV's stuck in his arms, the large tube down his throat that kept him breathing. It was almost to much. 

He sat down in a chair next to Tao's bed, reaching for his frail hand. He looked horrible, skin pale, eyes black rimmed. A few stray tears made their way down Kris' face, falling onto the sheets as he stared at the lifeless she'll of his boyfriend.

He gently the thin hands of Tao, raising it up to place a kiss on his knuckle. "I love you." He whispered, rubbing his thumb over the top of Tao's hand. "You'll get better." he said, beginning to shed tears. "You'll be okay."

----------------------------

[A/N:]

Hope you guys are alright with the plot change. Stick around for more!

Subscribe, upvote, comment for the comment ?

Saranghae

-Kyla<3