Chapter Seventeen

The Moment We Miss Each Other

The kitchen was busy the next morning. The non-stick pan was placed still on the electric stove and beside it, there were bowls of minced vegetables.  A young looking guy with a red scarf around his neck was cutting sausages into small cubes skillfully on the cutting board with a sweet motherly smile while he hummed joyfully.

When he had finished cutting all the needed sausages, he transferred the sausages into an empty bowl. Then, he turned to the non-stick pan, switching on the electric stove. He took a bottle of canola oil and poured some of the oil in the heated pan. After he was sure that the oil was hot enough, he took a bowl of green onion, letting them sizzled in the hot boiling oil. The smell of the green onion spread throughout the house, waking one of the members.

“I’m hungry,” Dongwoon complained as he stepped towards the kitchen with his half-opened eyes, messy hair and bloated face.

Yoseob turned to the voice with the usual smile of his. “Good morning, Dongni,”

“Morning,” Dongwoon mumbled, half-awake, as he leaned his head to the wall, watching Yoseob did his cooking. What he could see was actually flying cooking utensils around the kitchen such as spatula, bowls and cutting board yet he knew it was Yoseob since he had that red scarf on him.

Yoseob flinched a bit when he thought Dongwoon replied him. Then, it came to him that in Dongwoon’s perspective, he was the one who started the greeting. Yoseob smiled weakly. Of course, he was gladded that they found a way to communicate but he wished he could it normally, humanely without any third-party involved.

“What is for breakfast today, hyung?” Dongwoon asked, curious even though he could predict what it was from the aroma he smelled. He could finally open his eyes properly now although it was obvious that he was still sleepy.

“Can’t you guess? You are really good at this,” Yoseob replied as he focused on his cooking. He sighed. You knew he won’t hear you, Yang Yoseob! Yoseob weakly turned to Dongwoon, staring at the maknae sleepy expression. I am sorry, Dongwoon-ah. I can’t reply you properly. Yoseob shook the pan a bit to response to Dongwoon’s question since Dongwoon could not hear him.

“Omelet fried rice, isn’t it?” Dongwoon spoke as he made few steps closer to Yoseob and stopped at the top counter beside the stove, standing exactly opposite of Yoseob as they were separated by the top counter.

Dongwoon leaned in, peeking at the content of the pan. “I’m knew it. I am the best cook ever here anyway,” the godly good looking guy smirked, satisfied as he was sure he guessed it correctly.

Yoseob grinned, out of amusement at Dongwoon self-praise. He rolled his eyes, ignoring the fact that Dongwoon could not hear him, he uttered. “Should we have a bet then? Who will make the tastier breakfast?”

“Call!” Dongwoon replied excitedly as he snapped his fingers. “I’ll prove that mine is better,”

Yoseob eyes instantly widened as his mouth agape, surprised with the fact that Dongwoon was responding to him. After a while, Yoseob shook his head. He had to confirm that Dongwoon could really listen to him.

“Dongwoon-ah,” Yoseob called, as he looked at Dongwoon curiously, wondering if the giant maknae would response or not.

“Nae,” Dongwoon who was now standing in front of the fridge, replied as he turned his face to Yoseob with his thrilled expression. He was eager to start cooking. It was obvious that he did not notice the situation he was in currently.

“You…, Do you…”Yoseob paused, trying to rearrange his question. “Can you… are you able to listen?” he immediately noticed that the question was not perfect. “I mean you could not listen to me yesterday but, can you hear me now?”

Dongwoon frowned, puzzled with Yoseob’s question. Gradually, his expression changed. He was really startled that he stopped breathing for a while when he could finally absorb the new surprising fact.

“Hyung, I can hear you!”

*************************************************************************

The members, half-awake, gathered around the dining table as the plates of omelet fried rice flew themselves to the table,  right in front of the guys. Their hairs were messy and some of them even topless. All of them were silent, staring blankly at the food in front of them.

Kikwang, who was topless, rubbing his sleepy heavy eyes, broke the silent moment. “It smells nice,”

Yoseob smiled instantly, happy that someone complimented his cooking even it just regarding the smell. As he done serving the breakfast, he sat at the very end of the table, the only vacant seat, beside Junhyung and Dongwoon.

The adorable guy glanced at Junhyung, smiling nervously.

“Why?” Junhyung who noticed the different in Yoseob expression, asked with his husky morning voice.

Yoseob shook his head, still smiling even though it was obvious he was anxious. He took a deep breath and smiled confidently.

“Good morning,” The smooth sweet voice echoed in the dining area.

Everyone was shocked except for Junhyung and Dongwoon.

Doojoon frowned when he heard the voice, the sound that he longed for years. He turned to the source of the voice. There was only the floating red scarf there, at the empty seat. It can’t be. It must be another trick.

Kikwang eyes widened, surprised. He patted his ear, wondering if he heard it right. It might come from his delusional thought of meeting Yoseob again. He did not think that Junhyung was lying. He just thought that Yoseob was just an illusion of that older guy.

Hyunseung, unlike the other two, smiled sweetly. “Morning,” he gently replied.

Junhyung who had no idea what was happening, smiled and replied. “Morning, Seobie,”

“Can you hear it, hyung?” Dongwoon asked, wondering and hoping. He hoped he and Junhyung was not the only one who could listen to Yoseob’s voice. “Yoseob hyung voice,”

Kikwang, who was sitting right beside Dongwoon and looked confused and lost, slowly nodded.

“NO!” Doojoon yelled, disagreed as he stood up. “It must be another trick! There must be micro speaker somewhere,” he shouted madly as he pointed at the vacant seat, at Yoseob.

“This is too much Junhyung,” Doojoon, who was sitting beside Junhyung, staring at the rapper with his fury red eyes. Doojoon was not sure why he was so angry. Maybe because he was still unsatisfied that he had to stay in this place for the sake of an illusion. Maybe because he was upset that Junhyung was willing to lie to ensure the members trust him. He was not sure. Or maybe, a possibility that he did not want to believe, maybe he was jealous of Junhyung because even if it just an illusion, he could see that guy. If he was lying, he could pretend that the elf was there. He could even make other trust the fact that Yang Yoseob, who was gone 5 years ago, was now here.

Hyunseung, who sat at the other end of the dining table, beside Kikwang and Doojoon, gently hold Doojoon hand. “Its true, Doojoon. Yoseob is here,”

Doojoon quickly turned his head to Hyunseung as saw the doe eyes of him, persuading him to believe. Doojoon sighed. “How would you know it’s true? You can’t see him. You can’t touch him,” His tone became gentler. He always had a soft spot for Hyunseung. He always felt pity for the guy. He always in his own world and no one seemed to understand him.

“I feel it,” Hyunseung kindly spoke as he brought his hand to his chest while his eyes were locked to Doojoon. “He is here. Yoseob is here,” His other hand hold Doojoon’s hand tighter.

Doojoon angrily flinched and quickly took away his hand from Hyunseung. He heaved a heavy sigh before he stomped away and went to his room.

The kitchen was silent once again. The members were nodding, sighing.

Junhyung eyes were fixed on Yoseob. It took him a while to notice that everyone could listen to Yoseob now. Currently, his precious was crying, silently. He most probably did not want the other members to hear him. Junhyung gently hold Yoseob’s hand, assuring the younger guy that it was okay.

“I’ll talk to him,” Junhyung volunteered. He hate Yoseob’s tears, he hate it so much that he had to do something to make it stop. He needed to talk to Doojoon, telling him that he had hurt the main vocal, telling him Yoseob was here and he was not his illusion. He was the one who start the idea to grant any of Yoseob’s wish and he did not want Yoseob hurt while doing them. Yoseob should be happy that his wishes were granted.

Yoseob shook his head as he looked at Junhyung with his teary eyes. He weakly smiled and with shaking voice, he replied. “I’ll do it,” Yoseob nodded, assuring Junhyung who now was frowning as he was worried.

Slowly, Yoseob stood up and made steps to Doojoon room.

*********************************************************************************

Doojoon was sitting on single bed, gripping his hair out of frustration and leaned his head to his forearms as his elbows were resting on his knees. His breath was heavy and he could feel his pulse was accelerating out of anger.

Then, he heard the knock.

Doojoon ignored them. He was too angry to care. He did not know why everyone believed in the lie made by Junhyung. That guy, he was a jerk. He was selfish. He only cared on satisfying himself. Doojoon regretted agreeing to the idea of staying in the same house again.

“Doojoon-ah,”

Doojoon quickly looked up when he heard that voice, the voice he once loved and still love. Then, he saw the floating red scarf was before him. Judging the height it floated, it was obvious Yoseob was standing. Yoseob? Did he just use that name to describe this unknown trick? Doojoon frowned. No. You should not submit to the lie, Doojoon. Stay to the reality. Ghost did not exist. He furiously thought.

“Hyung,”

Doojoon squeezed his eyes shut as he grasped his head harder. He should not listen to all this. It was all faked.

“I’m sorry…,” Yoseob continued as he slowly kneed down, right in front of Doojoon. He was looking at Doojoon expression through his teary eyes. He wished he could convey his message properly with his voice.

“… that I did not notice your feeling. I am so oblivious,” Yoseob squeezed his lips together, trying to hide that he was crying.

“I shouldn't ask you to help Junhyung that night,”

Doojoon opened his eyes when he heard that sentence. No one knew about the situation except for him and Yoseob. Slowly, Doojoon brought his hand to his knees, revealing his face. His eyes were now focusing on the floating red scarf in front of him.

“You must be so upset. I’m sorry, really truly sorry,” Yoseob managed to say even his crying was worse. He knew it was obvious that he was crying now. Both, his voice and body were shaking.

“Yo… seob?” Doojoon called even he was hesitated.

“Yes,” Yoseob responded, trying to be as calm as he could. He wiped his tears with his fingers and smiled faintly.

Doojoon eyes blinked for a few times. He did not know how to react. Should he really accept this? But no one knew what happen that night, at the elevator, other than him, only Yoseob. Doojoon huffed.


Author's note:

I'm sorry that I took a long time to update.

:)