Chapter Sixteen

The Moment We Miss Each Other

“No,” Doojoon responded aggressively. “That’s not him. It could be a trick.” His eyebrows furrowed, eyes widened, filled with fury as he stared furiously at Junhyung. He was upset, unsatisfied. His mind was imagining how he made a few steps to Junhyung and punched his face. Doojoon breathed heavily, trying to suppress his anger as he held his fist tightly.

Hyunseung, who was standing right behind Doojoon, held the older guy’s shoulder gently, reminding him to calm down. He was shocked too but he knew Doojoon felt more than just shock. The leader felt unfair because Yoseob did not come to him.

Kikwang who was ignoring Doojoon furiousness, gathered his courage and stepped towards the figure made by the floating confetti. He stood in front of it, comparing their height. The figure was shorter. Kikwang took a deeper breath before he extended his shaking fingers slowly towards the figure, trying to touch it.

The digits went through it and Kikwang gathered his fingers, forming a fist as he grabbed few of little confetti before he brought his fist closer, opening it right in front of his chest, revealing the confetti on his palm.

Yoseob closed his eyes when Kikwang hand was reaching his hand, but he felt nothing. When he opened his eyes, Kikwang was already staring at him.

Junhyung was not sure how to react. He did not know what actually happen. Did they really see Yoseob? But why? And why did Kikwang hand passed through Yoseob as if he was just a hologram.

“Yoseob?” Kikwang blurted, hesitated. “Is that you?”

Yoseob turned to Junhyung, looking for his reassurance when their eyes met. Junhyung replied with a small smile. Yoseob turned back to Kikwang and nodded.

All of them were silent, freeze as if the time had stopped for them. They all saw the movement, the manlike figure just nodded before their eyes. In order to break the cold atmosphere, Dongwoon voiced out.

“Yoseob hyung is here, hyungs. He really is here, with us. Beast is six again,”

******************************************

Yoseob who was sitting on the floor, before the coffee table, could not hide his contentment. His almond dark brown eyes were shining as his teeth kept revealing themselves. His large manly hand kept holding the red knitted scarf under his chin as the scarf was embracing his neck.

Junhyung, who was sitting beside Yoseob, grinned when he noticed Yoseob reactions. It felt nice to see that smaller guy was happy with the Christmas gift he received from Hyunseung. Even he could not read Hyunseung reasons on buying this gift for Yoseob, he was glad the lead dancer bought it.

Now, since the red scarf was around Yoseob’s neck, the members would notice his existence since they could see the red scarf.

“Let’s try this,” Dongwoon, who was always a bright student suggested as he brought some papers and pens from his room and placed them on the coffee table in the living room as all other Beast members gathered around it. “Yoseob’s hyung may communicate with us by written words instead of verbal,”

Yoseob was excited when he heard the word ‘communicate’. Yes. He thought. I can finally talk to the members. Not waiting from any agreement from Junhyung, the popped vein hand quickly grabbed one of the pens and papers. Smiling, he wrote.

The paper was blank. Nothing was written.

Yoseob took another pen, thinking that maybe the ink in the previous pen had finished.

Blank. Empty.

Kikwang who was sitting at the other side of Yoseob took the pen used by Yoseob and tried to write his name.

Lee Kikwang.

“I told you it was just a trick,” Doojoon who was silent, voiced his thought as Kikwang successfully wrote his name on the blank paper.

Yoseob squeezed his lips together, feeling bad. He wished Doojoon would believe his existence as well. He sighed.

“Don’t give up,”

The voice made Yoseob looked up, founding Junhyung eyes were looking at him. Yoseob smiled, gladded Junhyung was encouraging him.

Junhyung stood up as he walked towards his room alone. A light bulb suddenly lightened in his mind, and he decided to follow the light.

Yoseob decided to stay there in the living room, waiting with the other members. It was awkward suddenly. Currently, all of them could fell his presence yet they could not communicate. Yoseob hated this awkwardly silent moment. No one was saying anything as if they did not talk because of his existence. Should he move the scarf a bit? Should he make silly dance with the scarf?

I should do something. Yoseob thought as he loosened the scarf on his neck. Yoseob stood up, tying the scarf around his waist and let the scarf loose to cover his .

“Hyung, why are you wearing it like a skirt?” Dongwoon who was familiar with the whole floating items situation, questioned. He noticed the shaped of Yoseob’s waist and .

Yoseob grinned and started to move his .

“Isn’t he writing using his ?” Hyunseung noticed.

Yoseob was excited as someone started to realize what he was doing and started to do it again.

“M-E-R... Yah! I can’t read that. You are too fast,” Kikwang responded.

Dongwoon and Hyunseung laughed.

Doojoon was not sure how to react. Unconsciously, he tried to read what was written by what the other members called Yoseob’s .

“Merry Christmas,” Doojoon unintentionally answered.

Yoseob stopped and wiggled his , agreeing to Doojoon’s answer.

Kikwang tilted his head, confusedly he asked. “How did you get it?”

Doojoon smirked. “I am not as stupid as you,”

“I am not,” Kikwang defended, puffing his cheek.

Dongwoon just laughed watching his hyungs argued while Hyunseung made a small smile.

Yoseob grinned widely, satisfied. Finally, it was no longer awkward between the members.

“Glad you brighten the mood,”

Yoseob turned to the familiar voice as his lips curved and parted as he saw Junhyung.

The other members flinched a bit when they noticed Junhyung especially Doojoon. It felt as if they were having fun without him. Or maybe they were not ready to admit that they are wrong not to trust him in the first place.

“As usual,” Junhyung continued, smiling before he continued to the living room, placing few items on the coffee table and sat on before the items.

Yoseob untied the scarf around his waist and used it to cover his shoulders as he followed Junhyung, and sat beside the older guy.

“Let’s try this method,” Junhyung suggested as he arranged the items on the coffee table.

“Isn’t this Yoseob’s phone?” Kikwang said as he picked up the old smartphone.

“Yeah,” Junhyung nodded. “and we have Yoseob’s journal too,” as he hold the 1-inch thick notebook and took back the phone from Kikwang’s hand.

“I’m sorry,” Junhyung apologized and passed the phone to Yoseob. There were things that he did not want others to see but Yoseob. Unbeknown to him, the other members felt the same.

Yoseob gently switched the phone on. The phone’s screen brightened slowly, showing that it was responding well even it was left for 5 years.

Every pairs of eyes was watching. They all had mixed feeling regarding the moment. They were hoping Yoseob can use the phone yet they did not know how to response if Yoseob saw what was in it. At the same time, they hoped Yoseob would not see anything although they knew the possibility of that will happen was low.

Yoseob unlocked the screen, the password was still similar, Junhyung’s birthday. In sudden, the phone chirped, notifying that a message received.

Yoseob was about to open the message but was stopped by Junhyung. “Sorry,” the older guy gently spoke. “Not now,”

Then, the phone kept beeping. Hundreds of message received. Yoseob waited until it stopped. Everyone waited.

“Why the telco did not terminate the phone?” Doojoon suddenly asked, curious. He was unsatisfied as he could not prove that what had happened today was just a trick but now, he was being sincere.

“I…,” Junhyung paused, hesitated. “I paid for the bills. I don’t want them recycle the number,”

Doojoon silenced, as he understood. Everyone in the space understood.

The phone stopped beeping. A notification came out, requesting for updates. Yoseob chose cancel and quickly proceed to Line apps. He search for the group and started typing.

안녕!
Anyeong!

The members’ phone started to beep. They quickly unlocked the phone and read the notification.

It succeeded. It worked. They could use the phone to communicate.


Author's note:

It was short. :(