I'm Sorry

Not A Nice Guy

 

KAREN’s POV

SATURDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! FINALLY FINALLY!

I woke up really early at around six in the morning and jumped on my parent’s bed.

“GET OFF!” my father yelled angrily. Fearful, I slipped off the bed.

“I’m going out, okay?”

“Where?” my mother sleepily asked.

“Just walking around here, that’s okay, right? Mummy? Dad?”

“Hmm.”

“I need my morning exercise. Dad, I’ve been gaining weight,” I said. I didn’t actually know if I gained or lost weight though. “That’s not good, right?”

“Okay. Let her. She needs it,” my dad said. “How about your little brother? Where is he?”

“Sleeping!” I exclaimed before breathing the fresh air.

OH MY GOODNESS! FINALLY FINALLY FREEDOM! For the past few weeks, I had been a bit locked up in my cell due to overdue homeworks and such but I decided to have a new routine starting this week.

It was weird. I had never gone through so much change in a week.

Making new friends and going to shops after school. I feel naughty in an innocent way. I laughed out loud. Skipping to the closest park, I felt my phone vibrated.

“HOLA!” I shouted excitedly. I was actually quite reserved but the moment people who broke down my walls already came in close contact, I became hyper and happy. “Who is this?”

I was 100% sure it was my long-distance best friend.

“Oi...who is this?” my voice started to fade away. “Hey...”

“HE - BROKE – UP – WITH - ME!” Nana sobbed into the phone. “Karen, what – what am I supposed to – to do?”

I felt my jaw drop to the floor. Scratch that, it felt as if my whole body fell into the earth’s core.

“No – no,” I said in shock. I felt guilty. I wondered how Nana felt, being the dumped girl. “But you guys dated so long...” And I had a slight crush on him before. I was always envious of their relationship. The only fairytale couple I knew had to break?

She cried harder.

“Nana, I wish...” I faltered. Wish what? Why was I in so much guilt?

“I WISH YOU WEREN’T FRIENDS WITH JESSICA!” she yelled into the phone. No. What I feared the most. “He was making out with Jessica a week earlier before he broke up with me,” she told me in a hushed voice. “He said ever since you introduced him to Jessica... ever since then...”

I had a confession to make to Nana. I really needed to tell her this.

“Nana...”

“But I understand he chose to be with Jessica. Sooner or later, it was going to end for us,” Nana continued sombrely. Right, that would be a good conclusion to our conversation. I knew I sounded heartless.

“He always liked Jessica,” I admitted.

Nana, I was the one holding their relationship together. He confessed to me that he LOVED Jessica just after being with her a few minutes but I constantly reminded him about Nana and her love. How perfect Nana was. I had to move out and stopped reminding him, thinking it would be okay already to leave. Jessica sought this opportunity I guess.

I felt bad for introducing Jessica but... how could I have known?

Nana cried for half an hour as I patiently listened to her, lying on the park bench. Another half an hour, she was still crying and I walked far enough into the town.

I even sang her a song before somebody knocked hard on a window I was passing by. Naturally, I turned to look at where the knocking was coming from.

JIHO’s POV

“There she goes again,” I muttered, sipping into my coffee. I wanted a day filled with...a hot girl but before I could ask from help from my boys, Karen walked past exactly in front of our coffee shop. We sat close to the display window and Jaehyo excitedly knocked it.

She was on the phone when she turned around.

“HEY!” Jaehyo, Jihoon and Yukwon cheered. They gestured her to come inside. She shook her head and pointed in front of her. Waving goodbye, she slowly paced away.

“Let’s walk with her!” Jihoon said. I rolled my eyes.

“Jihoon, seriously.”

“Hyung, she might be meeting her hot friends!”

With that, we scurried outside with our coffees.

“So, where are you heading?” I coolly asked her from behind. The boys kept a shy distance away despite their excitement earlier. “Meeting chicks? Introduce to us some.”

She paused and whipped around. “Wait a second, Nana,” she told to the phone.

“Um, I’m heading nowhere,” she stated, bowing. “Hello. Good morning.”

“Hi, hi,” I waved her greetings off. She was going nowhere? Waste of my energy, this lady.

They all scrambled towards her after her greet and I lazily came too.

“You’re up early—”

“Why don’t you walk with us—”

“Did you like the shop—”

KAREN’s POV

Crap, they’re crowding me in and I hear Nana shouting my name. “Please, please, I’m sorry. I need to talk to my friend,” I said, pointing at my phone. “I’m sorry.”

“Ya!” Jiho shouted. “We came here chasing you and you just swat us off like flies?”

“I didn’t swat you guys off,” I plainly replied.

Nana on the phone was going crazy.

“I’m sorry but I have to leave!” I ran away from the boys.

While running, I continued to calm Nana down from her mega breakdown.

“Don’t leave me, don’t have fun, don’t do anything today without me,” she begged. “Please. You’re my only friend.”

“Okay, Nana. Relax.” Nana had always been my selfish best friend. What she didn’t have I couldn’t have either. I knew that from the very start...but she was my best friend and I just needed to be on the phone with her for now until she picked up the pieces.