Kitty

Not A Nice Guy

 

Karen watched her friends flipping coins from afar. Though it was truly uninteresting, she started to bet with herself whether the head or the tail was going to face up.

KAREN’s P.O.V.

“MOVE!!” I shoved my friend’s body away from blocking my view and happily laughed alone when I noticed that it was the tail facing up. Right, I thought, I win again.

“What are you doing?” Hana asked curiously. She followed her gaze and frowned. “Are you—”

“I’m betting against myself whether it’s going to be heads or tails,” I pointed out at a group of my classmates sitting together. “I just won.”

“And another part of you would have lost too right – the one betting on the opposite side?”

“Yeah,” I replied.

An awkward silence engulfed us for a few minutes before I spoke up. “You really care about details, don’t you?”

“Why would you say that?”

Suddenly, I felt like talking to her was a burden so I just told her I needed to go to the toilet quick. That was where I met a guy.

He was carrying a sling bag full of cool badges with quotes and pictures pinned on the front.

“Hey! That’s seriously cool!” I complimented, even touching a badge with a kitty lying on its back with affection. “Where did you buy this? I want one!”

“Oh, it’s...” his voice faded and I looked up at his face. He looked surprised and had a hard time searching for words so he just ended it by saying, “It’s complicated...”

“Ah, I see,” I stated, completely amused. Did I scare him with my boldness? He looked like a kind guy, which was why I let my guard down. “I understand. Bye! Bye-bye kitty!” I waved at his badge.

As I walked towards the toilet, I couldn’t stop his face from popping into my head and making me smile. His light brown hair styled so nicely to fit his face...

After doing nothing but stand and play games on my phone for five minutes in the toilet, I left feeling a bit dumb for going there in the first place. Thank goodness I didn’t have to hide in the cubicle from anybody since nobody entered.

“Wa – wait!” somebody exclaimed beside me. I glanced sideways and saw the ‘badge’ guy. “I – I drew you the map to the place – shop. It’s a tiny place – shop...” he stuttered cutely and handed me a piece of small paper. “It starts from the school so I had to squeeze everything and it’s all... maybe I should just get the address!” He took the paper back and crumpled it. “I’ll give you next time!”

Everything went so fast. I wasn’t given the time to react properly and he obviously thought I didn’t appreciate his efforts or something.

“No!” I accidentally yelled, opening his closed fist and retrieving the crumpled paper in it. “I understand this drawing. No need for the address. This is sufficient.” I smiled kindly at him. “Thank you!”

He nodded numbly before walking away.